Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

thotsky posted:

Yeah, that does kick rear end.

As far as dark beers go I still believe that the the best expression of them remain the 6,0 - 6,5% ABV American versions whose clones were a staple in any brewpub up until not so long ago. Stuff like Kalamazoo Stout, Obsidian Stout, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter and especially Founders Porter. The only beer that could even remotely be described as dessert-like that I fancy is Aphrodisiaque.

There was a whole foods knockoff that used to be near me that had kalamazoo stout so I finally got to try it last year and yeah, I miss that style of regular stout. I'm now that old man that just wants grandpa bitter beers instead of calling up a brewery to buy $30 crowlers of weird black liquid that UNICEF feeds malnourished kids to get them to quickly gain weight

poo poo, the past two weeks I've just been getting CCB Lager as it's been hitting a spot but it's the only micro lager at the grocery store and i'm trying to avoid going to any store other than the grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

thotsky posted:

The only dark beer that could even remotely be described as dessert-like that I fancy is Aphrodisiaque.

I took a very short sojourn to Montreal last summer and I went to DDC like, four times during the week. I went mostly because, uh, DDC, and because I adore Solstice d'ete. They also had Peche Mortel and Aphrodisiaque on draught and while the like, 35C weather+humidity was completely loving miserable to be in, they had AC and it was served cool so whatever. When in Rome, etc., so I dived into high ABV stout territory.

I don't know how it comes across or how you've had it before, but Aphrodisiaque is completely different on draught. Maybe it's the bottles I can get at home (Vancouver) but bottled, there's a noticeable bitter amongst the vanilla and chocolate. Maybe everything I'm getting is partially skunked or whatever, but I've had stuff a year out and stuff only a month or two from production and it all tastes fairly similar (I still enjoy it though!) On tap? Straight up pastry stout. The head is with zero exaggeration a chocolate milkshake. The rest carries similar tones, albeit obviously more malty and stout-like, but still rather sweet in comparison to bottled. I've bought a lot of stupid bullshit in the last few years of getting into """""""craft"""""""""" beer but like goddamn did it ever leave a lasting impression on me, mostly because I don't think I've ever slammed back anything quite as hard. I've a bit of a sweet tooth, mind.

Anyway thats why pastry stouts are good during the summer. Good beer is good, thanks 4 listening.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Spanish Manlove posted:

There was a whole foods knockoff that used to be near me that had kalamazoo stout so I finally got to try it last year and yeah, I miss that style of regular stout. I'm now that old man that just wants grandpa bitter beers instead of calling up a brewery to buy $30 crowlers of weird black liquid that UNICEF feeds malnourished kids to get them to quickly gain weight

poo poo, the past two weeks I've just been getting CCB Lager as it's been hitting a spot but it's the only micro lager at the grocery store and i'm trying to avoid going to any store other than the grocery store

Yep. I think the jump in intensity and body from the 5,0 - 5,5% ABV English versions of the style really does wonder for the style, but it doesn't take more than going up to the 7,5 - 8,0% examples before I feel like the beer is compromised. Sure, I might be able to have one with a burger, but I won't be able to have two.

I've had CCB lager, it was nice and light, and while it could have used more bitterness for my taste, it did have to travel across the world to get here so who knows what it started out as. It reminds me a bit of Haandbryggeriet Haandverks-pils, which I can get in the grocery store over here. It's from one of the largest still-independent microbreweries over here and relatively new to their portfolio. My favorite Norwegian lager at the moment, which I can also get at the grocery store is Ægir Pils. When fresh it reminds me quite a bit of a session strength-pivo, but without the dry-hopping unfortunately.

Kalsco posted:

When in Rome, etc., so I dived into high ABV stout territory.
I don't know how it comes across or how you've had it before, but Aphrodisiaque is completely different on draught.
Anyway thats why pastry stouts are good during the summer. Good beer is good, thanks 4 listening.

I mean, Aphrodisiaque is only 6,5% which is part of why I like it. It is, as you say, somewhat sweet, but I remember it as having some bitterness to balance. The nose was pretty dominated by a milk chocolate aroma, which is honestly the payoff you want. I remember not feeling gross even when I had a whole pint of it, whereas a single sip of a proper pastry stout leaves me cold. I've mostly had it on draft, served cool like yours, since I don't seek out adjunct stouts like these, but I'm sure I've had a bottle at one point or another. For my own sake, I hope the trend swings back, but you enjoy your pastries while they're a thing man.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 18, 2020

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

thotsky posted:

I mean, Aphrodisiaque is only 6,5% which is part of why I like it. It is, as you say, somewhat sweet, but I remember it as having some bitterness to balance. The nose was pretty dominated by a milk chocolate aroma, which is honestly the payoff you want. I remember not feeling gross even when I had a whole pint of it, whereas a single sip of a proper pastry stout leaves me cold. I've mostly had it on draft, served cool like yours, since I don't seek out adjunct stouts like these, but I'm sure I've had a bottle at one point or another. For my own sake, I hope the trend swings back, but you enjoy your pastries while they're a thing man.

You'll forgive, I hope. Weekend night and all, but I was definitely also thinking of Peche Mortel wrt to higher ABV.

I'm probably playing up the sweetness because I found it rather stark in comparison to it's bottled variant but it definitely isn't a sugar-bomb by any stretch. I've, uh, definitely sinked a few of those in living memory. Still, I think it's a stellar example of what the style can offer without being stupidly sweet. In the same vein as its malt and (varying degrees of) bitter driven cousins, but different! Pastry still good! I can understand some of its wilder variants being a bit much for some but I also really like super oily sugary boozebomb barleywines so ymmv.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
of all things I'm craving like a big liter mug of one of those essentially interchangeable Japanese plain draft beers

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

graybook posted:

of all things I'm craving like a big liter mug of one of those essentially interchangeable Japanese plain draft beers

There's a ramen place here that does that, but I'm not so sure it's a great idea. When you're eating ramen you're already on the clock; you want to get those ramen down while they're still the right consistency. Do you really need the added pressure of getting a liter of beer down while it's cold? I think I prefer a half-liter pour for most beers.

Speaking of beers with ramen. There's a different icelandic ramen place near me that just got Ayinger Bairisch Pils on draft. That's one of my absolute favorite beers and there's outdoor service too so social distancing is not too much trouble. Was excellent in the spring sun.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Man, for all its good food, the Charleston SC area doesn't have much to offer in the way of ramen that I've found. Ramen aside, though, I just want like a big ol' Suntory The Premium Malt's or one of those others to comfort me for the night. But yeah, a more manageable size is probably recommendable for an environment like that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I mean like a regular lager with regular noble hops etc but with a dry hop of something fun or like basically a modern medium IBU clean pale ale thats already made with mostly pilsner malt but now with lager yeast.

That's literally the hot style in Chicago right now and what what Off Color has been brewing for years with Tooth and Claw...

I just drank a Straight Jacket from the can while trying to suck up 10ish gallons of water backup in the basement. Pretty bad rains today but not as bad as 5 years ago when I waded into a few inches of water, called the insurance company, then proceeded to drink 3 BCBS while watching the Hawks win their last cup.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish these were more common. It's not a thing but I really want IPLs to be a thing. I also like Black IPAs a lot so i have some wack opinion.s

Dang. I coulda sent you this pretty baller black ipa instead of that pretty awesome pilsner last yeah. You fuckin son of a bitch!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

graybook posted:

Big same right now tbh. I would absolutely kill for a Suntory The Premium Malts.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

thotsky posted:

Yeah, that does kick rear end.

As far as dark beers go I still believe that the the best expression of them remain the 6,0 - 6,5% ABV American versions whose clones were a staple in any brewpub up until not so long ago. Stuff like Kalamazoo Stout, Obsidian Stout, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter and especially Founders Porter. The only dark beer that could even remotely be described as dessert-like that I fancy is Aphrodisiaque.

There are a couple of relatively cheap options at systembolaget if you're ever allowed to cross the border again.

I've been doing so much tobacco and beer smuggling since I'm allowed to travel for work.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

danbanana posted:

I just drank a Straight Jacket from the can while trying to suck up 10ish gallons of water backup in the basement. Pretty bad rains today but not as bad as 5 years ago when I waded into a few inches of water, called the insurance company, then proceeded to drink 3 BCBS while watching the Hawks win their last cup.

Glad you're still with us after the BCBS-termath :911:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the yellow dart posted:

Glad you're still with us after the BCBS-termath :911:

I don't remember that hockey game at all!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baerlic Brewing in Portland is making a hazy lager right now they named Day By Day. It's really loving good and is begging for a warm quarantine summer bbq. I'm getting a case of their most recent Helles lager delivered tomorrow too.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I crushed some Rolling Rocks today and they were ice cold and I enjoyed them :colbert:

My controversial Beer Snob opinion is that the best beer is the one you are currently drinking.

edit: spelling is hard

highme fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 18, 2020

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

All of the bigger breweries are putting out juicy/low bitterness IPAs these days. Sierra Nevada, Firestone, Lagunitas, Sam Adams, they all make at least one, and you'll probably be able to find them at your local grocery store.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i recently finished my last ardent bohemian pils from the great and powerful funkybottoms, which has been a cherished companion on many sanity-saving walks as of late. so lately im mostly drinking stuff from burial, who ship their stuff straight to my door and have pretty solid flagships. pretty jealous of all the CA residents who have their pick of any number of amazing breweries to receive delivery from

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My first draft beer since March 13, Bavik Super Pils.

(Also pictured: pretzel bread and beer cheese)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

highme posted:

a hazy lager

Time is a flat circle.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

pretty jealous of all the CA residents who have their pick of any number of amazing breweries to receive delivery from

it's cool but making me go broke. luckily we packaged like 700 cases of cans and 160 cases of bottles last week (and doing a few hundred more tomorrow) so im flush with dented cans

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

As hop forward lagers go, Lost and Groundeds Keller Pils is pretty great.

Any of the other UK people tried Donzoko stuff?Intruiged by a craft brewery that focuses on lager.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
We had a keg of his in the brewers bar at Mikkeller beer fest last year and we crushed it in record time. Great lagers.

tensionhead
Mar 1, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

As hop forward lagers go, Lost and Groundeds Keller Pils is pretty great.

Any of the other UK people tried Donzoko stuff?Intruiged by a craft brewery that focuses on lager.

Had a can of Northern Helles ( think one brewed by Gipsy Hill for him), really good, easy drinking. Big Foam seems to get the most attention but not had a chance to try it yet.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/is-the-three-floyds-brewpub-closed-for-good/

Huh.

The brewpub has always been the best thing about FFF. Food there has always been topnotch. They were doing really interesting menus back when every other place in the area was still slinging lovely barfood.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

https://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/is-the-three-floyds-brewpub-closed-for-good/

Huh.

The brewpub has always been the best thing about FFF. Food there has always been topnotch. They were doing really interesting menus back when every other place in the area was still slinging lovely barfood.

Josh Noel talked to them about it...
https://twitter.com/hopnotes/status/1262937781355057152
https://twitter.com/hopnotes/status/1262939296081883136

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Given the space, I can see the rationale here. Like a lot of places, it'd be pretty impossible to set proper distancing.

Apparently a couple years ago they announced an expansion of the brewpub area but never started on it. Maybe they're just gonna get that done before reopening?

They also posted this:

https://twitter.com/3floyds/status/1262860716085829632

They specifically mention vintage, which is strange considering they probably have stuff that would have been released this year available. The DLD site still says they're hoping to reschedule but putting ten thousand drunk neckbeards together anytime in the near future is a bad loving idea.

(This is where I remember that Half Acre's 2nd Far and Away was supposed to be this Spring and that makes me sad because the first one was absolutely the best fest I've ever been to.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guessing all beer festivals and events are going to get cancelled this year.

Edit: lol, originally in this post I was gonna say that I just bought a house within walking distance of the venue for Michigan's largest beer festival, but that I was 99% sure that would get cancelled too. Sure enough, the brewer's guild just sent out an email confirming that. :qq:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 20, 2020

Apache
May 11, 2004

Well, It appears FL is going to let breweries serve from taprooms starting on Thursday provided they either serve food or have a food truck present. This should be good for the bigger suburban type places with outdoor beer gardens and room for food trucks, not sure it will work for tiny spots like Angry Chair and Cycle, no real space for distancing there, or parking for food trucks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Guessing all beer festivals and events are going to get cancelled this year.

Edit: lol, originally in this post I was gonna say that I just bought a house within walking distance of the venue for Michigan's largest beer festival, but that I was 99% sure that would get cancelled too. Sure enough, the brewer's guild just sent out an email confirming that. :qq:

Congrats on the house though!?

Also Noel posted his review of low cal beers. https://www.chicagotribune.com/dini...vq7y-story.html Theres actually a few I wouldnt mind trying out.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gonna crush some NEIPAs tonight, Hop Skip & Juice from Vocation/Marble, Love & Hate from Vocation, and Ripe Times by Salt/Magic Rock.

I think this is what I was looking for when I mentioned a low bitterness beer, I shall report back to this thread later!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Congrats on the house though!?

Also Noel posted his review of low cal beers. https://www.chicagotribune.com/dini...vq7y-story.html Theres actually a few I wouldnt mind trying out.

Thanks! Bought about 6 months ago, it's kind of a fixer upper which as it turns out having lots of projects to keep you busy all the time isn't the worst thing during a pandemic. Guess I'll just have to look forward to walking to the beer fest next year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I sell three of the beers on that list and I can confirm New Holland Lightpoint is pretty drat good. Especially when you know it’s 86 calories. I agree that the Light Hearted name does it no favors as it’s only going to be compared to Two Hearted, though it’s a good enough beer on its own and for what it is. I also sell Abita Hop 99 but I’ve never tried it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Drank all three

They're good beers

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm placing my weekly order for pick up tomorrow. Anybody ever have anything from Mountains Walking in Bozeman? I've never heard of them, and their Opaque Thoughts hazy DIPA is available, has decent ratings, but at $6 a can I want to check.

edit: they have a decent variety of Mountains Walking beers, and some Dissolver from NC. So I'm gonna stock up on Not Oregon beer for this week.

edit2: they were running out of a couple of my favorite one-off hazys from around here (that Sunriver Formerly Known As is amazing) so I lied previously and bought some Oregon beer. Here's the take

Hen House Mandalea Effect IPA - CA - 16oz C - IPA
Mountains Walking Opaque Thoughts Hazy Milkshake DIPA - MT - 16oz C - IPA
DSSOLVR Rock My Dream Face - NC - 16oz C - IPA
Mountains Walking Tin Sky Hazy IPA - MT - 16oz C - IPA
Mountains Walking Light Dusting Hazy IPA - 16oz C - IPA
Culmination King's Dead - OR - 16oz C - IPA
Sunriver Formerly Known As - OR - 16oz C - IPA
Baerlic Day by Day - OR - 16oz C - LIGHT
WeldWerks Juicy Bits - CO - 16oz C - IPA

highme fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 21, 2020

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
lol I just picked up my order from Uptown Market and got some of the same stuff, also took a chance on the MW stuff

highme
May 25, 2001

I had to get the Henhouse Mandela Effect just for the label with the Berenstain Bears & El-P (I haven't had a bad beer from them either so that helps).

I also had a case of Baerlic's latest Helles Lager, Chill, dropped off today.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I got these also, still surreal that Boneyard and BB are canning their IPAs and looking forward to B15's new year round IPA.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
IPAs...IPAs as far as the eye can see. Flooded even. I remember the times before westcoast ipas...we were fools for creating the monster...

highme
May 25, 2001

Unless they're outstanding, I barely drink west coast IPAs any more. I'm just thoroughly bored of them. I would probably have more variety but I didn't see a lot of saison that grabbed my attention, and my see through beer supply is fine.

I've got a crowler of Great Notion passion fruit sour that I picked up on my first excursion to Uptown that I haven't opened yet. I should probably drink that.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

highme posted:

Unless they're outstanding, I barely drink west coast IPAs any more. I'm just thoroughly bored of them.

I feel that way about haze/NEIPA and it's real nice how my local spots are doing good west coast ipas as well. Even Live Oak brought back Liberation and that was a nice change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Two hazy IPAs tonight for a virtual work happy hour and picking up a release of a hoppy lager tomorrow along with a coffee porter that is actually pretty light and straight up tastes like iced coffee. Gonna be a good Memorial Weekend