Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I used boardgamearena extensively on my phone, so absolutely will work on a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I used boardgamearena extensively on my phone, so absolutely will work on a tablet.

Wait, you can do that? Oh poo poo, this a game changer

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It’s a website so why wouldn’t you be able to?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Also, Las Vegas probably works pretty well over web cam!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Something like Pandemic should work over webcam pretty easily.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Some websites are so poorly optimized for phones as to be unusable. Dominion.games hid the "start game" button past where the screen ended, and didn't allow me to zoom or pan to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spiel 2020 has been officially cancelled. We knew it was coming and it's the wise move, but it's still a shame.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Some websites are so poorly optimized for phones as to be unusable. Dominion.games hid the "start game" button past where the screen ended, and didn't allow me to zoom or pan to it.

To be fair that start game button is not optimized for anybody - I shouldn't have to wait for you to hit it in order to see my opening hand. I think that's the 3rd biggest flaw, behind AI and no friend invite/challenges.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Some games work a lot better than others on mobile. Good luck playing Caylus or Taluva on mobile but King Domino and things like that work great.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
We played a four player game of Tiny Towns with a camera on all four boards. The remote players just said coordinates Battleship style of where they want their cubes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rusty Kettle posted:

We played a four player game of Tiny Towns with a camera on all four boards. The remote players just said coordinates Battleship style of where they want their cubes.

You sunk my granary

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Literally a game changer

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Spiel 2020 has been officially cancelled. We knew it was coming and it's the wise move, but it's still a shame.

GenCon still hasn't been canceled 😑😑

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deathlove posted:

GenCon still hasn't been canceled 😑😑

I thought GenCon had announced that they were going virtual this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Gencon can't cancel (as far as I understand it) until the venues refund their deposit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I can confirm that Roll20, for example, doesn't work on mobile.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mayveena posted:

Gencon can't cancel (as far as I understand it) until the venues refund their deposit.
Several similar events have insurance policies that won't pay out if they cancel their own event -- even if there's a very good reason, like, say, a global pandemic.

So there's a bit of a "cold war" with their respective venues, because the venues don't want to lose potential revenue -- and, in fact, may have their own insurance policies to protect lost revenue from an event cancelling out from under them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

That was Origins and they’re still planning on a physical convention in October afaik

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Origins is doing a virtual con in June and rescheduled the real one to October, but I doubt that will happen at this rate.

Gencon is an interesting situation, because they have a contract they have to abide by, but the city of Indianapolis depends on the convention so heavily that they will probably end up bending over backwards to keep Gencon LLC happy and healthy. The ICC and Lucas Oil are managed by a state appointed board, which is better for Gencon cancellation than a private venue contract would be. They're obviously still hoping to go full steam ahead but everyone sees the writing on the wall. You can't social distance an event like Gencon even if they did something drastic like capping attendance at 25%.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

Several similar events have insurance policies that won't pay out if they cancel their own event -- even if there's a very good reason, like, say, a global pandemic.
Yeah, a pandemic is literally uninsurable. There's no insurance company that would or could cover it.

Unless they have really awful underwriters who haven't updated policies in decades, "pandemic and government action due to disease" are specifically excluded for, like, everything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gencon is a vector for strange diseases in the best circumstances - they shouldn't host it, no company should go to it, no one should attend it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple? I picked up a few games that I made sure had a 2 player option, like Bargain Quest (which probably falls into the too simple category but I like the theme), Kashgar, Race for the Galaxy, and The Crew, all of which I've enjoyed but are significantly less interesting/enjoyable as a 2 player game. Doesn't have to specifically be a card game either, even though I just noticed every example I listed is one.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Patchwork
Codenames Duet

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

nessin posted:

I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple? I picked up a few games that I made sure had a 2 player option, like Bargain Quest (which probably falls into the too simple category but I like the theme), Kashgar, Race for the Galaxy, and The Crew, all of which I've enjoyed but are significantly less interesting/enjoyable as a 2 player game. Doesn't have to specifically be a card game either, even though I just noticed every example I listed is one.

Watergate but your first plays won't likely be under an hour.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This Guilty Land?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, a pandemic is literally uninsurable. There's no insurance company that would or could cover it.

Unless they have really awful underwriters who haven't updated policies in decades, "pandemic and government action due to disease" are specifically excluded for, like, everything.

Wimbledon got a $141 million payout for the pandemic insurance they've been paying $2 million a year for since SARS.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Impermanent posted:

gencon is a vector for strange diseases in the best circumstances - they shouldn't host it, no company should go to it, no one should attend it.

Indiana is one of the hotspots specifically because they host a lot of conventions, so everyone started spreading it back in January before people realized what was happening.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Poopy Palpy posted:

Wimbledon got a $141 million payout for the pandemic insurance they've been paying $2 million a year for since SARS.
Things may be different across the pond. :shrug:

And yeah if you buy specific pandemic insurance that's what you get. Most businesses just have a 'business continuity' policy or endorsement, where pandemics aren't covered.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I don't think there's anything wrong with pandemic insurance in general, you just can't give it to everyone. Insuring every venue in a country for loss of earnings from a pandemic would bankrupt an insurer when they all claim at once, but insuring probably the single biggest sporting event in the country against one is a smart deal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Indiana's insistence on opening up may also gently caress over any claims for pandemic even if Gen Con has the right policy coverage.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Quiz night looks to be running out of steam so I was wondering if there were any suggestions for some quick games that can be played in a zoom call with 6-10 people with little to no experience in the hobby whilst having a few beers.

I know there's a codenames thing available somewhere or other but I was wondering if there is anything else that I'm missing. Thanks goons, please help keep my Monday evenings interesting.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Redundant posted:

Quiz night looks to be running out of steam so I was wondering if there were any suggestions for some quick games that can be played in a zoom call with 6-10 people with little to no experience in the hobby whilst having a few beers.

I know there's a codenames thing available somewhere or other but I was wondering if there is anything else that I'm missing. Thanks goons, please help keep my Monday evenings interesting.

Just play quiplash. Only one person needs to run the software, everyone else just goes to a website and follows instructions.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Jackbox stuff is exactly what I'm after actually. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Indiana's insistence on opening up may also gently caress over any claims for pandemic

Marion County is operating differently than Indiana. Might make a difference.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

nessin posted:

I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple?

Tash Kalar is an excellent two player game with a lot of strategy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Game Brain Podcast episode is up, I'm the featured guest, hope you like it, I'm not sure if I do :shrug:

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Apologies if this has come up before, but: is Battle for Rokugan no longer being produced by FFG? It seems to have disappeared from their website, and it’s out of stock in most places I can access in Australia.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Be careful with the game. Either be prepared to lose to a misclick or don't play Tzolkin/Keyflower and do play TTA and Tash Kalar

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

.. don't play Keyflower ...

I'm on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I'm on it!

lmaoooo