Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Now I’m singing “Donkey Punch” to the tune of “Darkwing Duck”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Context: SquaredCircle post about Martha Hart saying she'll never allow Owen in the WWE Hall of Fame and that it's not a real thing and it's ridiculous.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah that one Wrestling Hall of Fame in mayonaise oklahoma or whatever sure does get a lot of TV time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People on the internet sure are mad at a widow twenty-one years after her spouse was famously killed doing what he loved in front of thousands of people due to (at best) gross negligence, incompetence, and indifference.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
BUT I WANNA PLAY AS OWEN IN A VIDEO GAaAaAaAaAaAaAmE!!!! :cry:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/YaBoy88/status/1262298303019941893?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I CANT READ screams the twitter user over and over to no response.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Context: SquaredCircle post about Martha Hart saying she'll never allow Owen in the WWE Hall of Fame and that it's not a real thing and it's ridiculous.

the members of the baseball hall of fame are voted on by a panel of journalists and historians not on the whims of a single crazy person

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

flashy_mcflash posted:

This has nothing to do with wrestling but god I hate him so much

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1261809309681217536?s=19

satin's hot take tweets aren't even funny anymore, he's just "working as a heel" to "increase his brand" or whatever these dipshits say

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

love how this dork answers his own question in the fourth and fifth sentences

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262444959174721537

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's always good when I can click a tweet and immediately see I've already blocked that user

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sometimes WWE fans will amaze me at their shittiness. And this is from years of MMA fans wanting to know why guys can't fight with torn ACLs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nazi or 31?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Who could have guessed that @bayleyismygod is overly emotionally attached to the wwe

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What point are Bret and Martha at nowadays?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't imagine why Martha Hart wouldn't want to hand over her dead husband's likeness to the company that killed him.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

MJeff posted:

What point are Bret and Martha at nowadays?

no contact iirc

i love bret but this is one of those weird stubborn things where his loyalty to wrestling legacy trumps his brothers widow.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't imagine why Martha Hart wouldn't want to hand over her dead husband's likeness to the company that killed him.

*whines* But what about his fans????

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Hashtag Bayleys Bitches

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Joey McChrist posted:

no contact iirc

i love bret but this is one of those weird stubborn things where his loyalty to wrestling legacy trumps his brothers widow.

Yeah. :(

Can Jericho reunite them like he did David Benoit and his aunt?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

"They don't even have a Hallway of Fame" is loving amazing and I legit laughed out loud reading it. That's so good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Smoking Crow posted:

the members of the baseball hall of fame are voted on by a panel of journalists and historians not on the whims of a single crazy person

Unless you're Jerry Reinsdorf and you really want Harold Baines in.

This is a deeeeep cut baseball reference. I miss it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

STAC Goat posted:

Unless you're Jerry Reinsdorf and you really want Harold Baines in.

This is a deeeeep cut baseball reference. I miss it.

Because my intrest piqued i looked it up and its impressive

Baines had been eligible for the National Baseball Hall of Fame beginning with the 2007 election. While 75% of the vote is needed for induction, he never received greater than 6.1% (which he received in 2010).[1] On January 5, 2011, Baines received just 28 votes (4.8%) in the 2011 Hall of Fame election, dropping him off all future writers' Hall of Fame ballots by receiving less than 5.0% of the vote.

On December 9, 2018, Baines and Lee Smith were elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2019 via the Today's Game Era ballot, a voting panel of 16 consisting of six players, one manager, six executives, and three journalists.[17] Many baseball writers and fans expressed shock that a player who peaked at 6.1% of votes on the regular ballot and was eliminated after only five years was allowed in through the Today's Game Committee. Baines was voted into the Hall of Fame by his peers: he played against five of the six players on the committee, while a sixth served as manager against him. Four executives on the panel were in management while Baines was a player and his former manager and team owner also were on the committee.[18] He and five other players were inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 21 before a crowd of 55,000, including 53 previous inductees.[19][20]

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I decided to engage the Bayley roleplay account and the results were suitably galaxy brained.
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262511191685058568
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262512093191954435
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262514025289658370
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262515510849286145
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262516851617210369
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262517701005713409
https://twitter.com/BayleyIsMyGod/status/1262520382067806210
This dude might be even worse, though:
https://twitter.com/bdshores/status/1262515085731397634
https://twitter.com/bdshores/status/1262514410498797574
https://twitter.com/bdshores/status/1262511085627871239
https://twitter.com/bdshores/status/1262509892583260166
https://twitter.com/bdshores/status/1262509679848108033

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Saying you despise a widow for resenting the company responsible for her husband's death is a level of psychotic behavior that I really can't comprehend. It's utterly despicable and makes me legitimately angry.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Akileese posted:

Saying you despise a widow for resenting the company responsible for her husband's death is a level of psychotic behavior that I really can't comprehend. It's utterly despicable and makes me legitimately angry.
Some people just aren't able to comprehend that WWE did something lovely. It's bizarre.

There was also another guy who kept asking me if I think WWE intentionally harmed Owen or was just negligent after I repeatedly used the insistent phrasing of "negligently killed."

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
"But killed means they can be held responsible, which can't be true unless they intended to harm Owen Hart"

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

How can we trust anything Bix says when he's on the AEW payroll!?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Christ I don't think I can ever talk about wrestling on the internet on any site besides this

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

super macho dude posted:

How can we trust anything Bix says when he's on the AEW payroll!?

Well we are ALSO on the AEW payroll, so idk.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Christ I don't think I can ever talk about wrestling on the internet on any site besides this

At this point I don't see why I'd want to

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TBH I think it was Bix in the same manner had to explain to me that the Owen Hart death was not accidental. I'd just sorta assumed the dude rigging it had all that poo poo in order because repelling is easy enough you can teach army grunts.

But yeah, I blocked that person because I woulda said something that woulda got taken off twitter again. Speaking over a widow is just inviting bad poo poo.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

TBH I think it was Bix in the same manner had to explain to me that the Owen Hart death was not accidental. I'd just sorta assumed the dude rigging it had all that poo poo in order because repelling is easy enough you can teach army grunts.

But yeah, I blocked that person because I woulda said something that woulda got taken off twitter again. Speaking over a widow is just inviting bad poo poo.
I presume you mean "not 'just an accident'" or "not a freak accident" there.

Some people just genuinely had no idea the info was out there for them to seek out, and that's fine. Like when people tweet at me and say "Wait, wasn't it the same rigger doing the same stunt Sting did?" those people are usually pretty understanding when I say that neither was the case. That's as opposed to the "it was just a freak accident, how can you say that" people.

And it's forgotten now, but something that Meltzer stressed in his review of Martha's book in 2002 was that WWE had long claimed that was the case with the riggers and stunt: We used the same crew as WCW doing the same stunt, so this is just a freak accident. (Incidentally, one of these days I should probably go over the newsletter coverage of the aftermath, maybe for a BTS Patreon show, because there's probably a lot of poo poo WWE did that we barely remember and was contradicted by the police records and lawsuit discovery.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

davidbix posted:

Some people just genuinely had no idea the info was out there for them to seek out, and that's fine. Like when people tweet at me and say "Wait, wasn't it the same rigger doing the same stunt Sting did?" those people are usually pretty understanding when I say that neither was the case. That's as opposed to the "it was just a freak accident, how can you say that" people.

And it's forgotten now, but something that Meltzer stressed in his review of Martha's book in 2002 was that WWE had long claimed that was the case with the riggers and stunt: We used the same crew as WCW doing the same stunt, so this is just a freak accident. (Incidentally, one of these days I should probably go over the newsletter coverage of the aftermath, maybe for a BTS Patreon show, because there's probably a lot of poo poo WWE did that we barely remember and was contradicted by the police records and lawsuit discovery.

Yeah I sorta of was in the camp for a few years that Vince and WWE did something wrong but nothing criminal for a few years until I read the Observer stuff. That and the later reports by people like you Bix got me on the criminal negligence side and got me more made as time went on (Also the fact I believed event a portion of WWE's explanation)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Sting had actual professional rappelling equipment, which is why it always took him like 10 minutes dropping into the ring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

oh no. WWE straight up killed Owen Hart. I'm honestly surprised the building's insurance company didn't carve WWF into tiny chunks. You do not lower a human being from the ceiling with just any old manner of equipment. That stunt was a solved engineering problem and WWE priced it out to some poor schmuck* and Owen paid the price.

*due apologies to the poor schmuck, whom I cannot remember his name but he got decidedly hosed over as collateral in this endeavor. That's how much of an epic failure Vince managed.

coconono fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 19, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Benne posted:

Yeah Sting had actual professional rappelling equipment, which is why it always took him like 10 minutes dropping into the ring.

And then like another 5 minutes unhooking his gear while the nWo stood around making faces and attacked him one at a time.

It turns out trying to do it real fast is dangerous. Who knew? You know, besides every professional or person with experience and the WWE?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They almost had Owen do the stunt with a Mini Blue Blazer too which just enraged me even more when I found about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it looked cool as hell for sting to beat people up with a bat while unhooking himself. hell is cool in this realm