Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Military "restore order" after Corbyn resigns following scandal over 5000 virus deaths in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Military "restore order" after Corbyn resigns following scandal over 5000 virus deaths in the UK.

This is what I think would have happened (or something like it).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

This is what the 1970s thought today would look like.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ms Adequate posted:

I get what you're saying, and granted it's entirely possible a sensible political analysis was made and decided it's not worth the bother, but I feel like getting it on record as a matter of law that Dorries committed libel would be both morally good and have at least some potential to be politically effective. (But we're getting into Gay Black Labour territory by imagining that not only is the case pursued but effective hay is made out of it, so maybe Sir Keir just decided not to bother in the first place lest he fall at a later hurdle)
you can argue one way or the other on if it'd be worth the bother. I can't pretend I'd know for sure which is correct without a crystal ball.
I suspect that the weight of "we're in the middle of the greatest national crisis in a generation" has weighed into it. not wanting to be seen as time wasting.

aren't they just voting on the first reading? parliamentary procedure is boring but at this point it's a vote on whether to proceed to further stages, not to pass into law.
so if you want any chance to amend it in the commons / lords you have to proceed. which is why it's common for the opposition not to vote against at this stage. if they agree there is a need for "a bill" rather than specifically the government's preferred bill. and given that Brexit has happened and torn up the current immigration system we do need an immigration bill.
Labour will be (futilely) voting against at the 3rd reading, unless by some miracle 80 odd Tory rebels join in on amendments to bin the salary threshold, etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

she's a fascist op

e: she's the very definition of "legitimate concerns about immigration" at least
She is, but I've no idea how you get to the point of not wanting to demand tough action on rape (a crime) because you're scared of looking soft on crime.

It's like saying you gave Jimmy Savile the keys to that hospital because you're very concerned about children's health.

sebzilla posted:

Got a link or source for that?
I'm trying to dig around the 2015 Labour election threads, because that's where it first came up iirc, but it was when the Yarl's Wood Strikes were happening, and Cooper raised an issue about it, and a lot of people said that it'd taken her long enough, so she said in a paper interview that she was worried about being seen as 'soft on crime' by the press if she made too much noise about it.

It looks like she changed her view on that a bit during the Corbyn era, but I can't track down the original.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just been reading about Jamie's Dream School (following a twitter rabbit hole). In 2011 Jamie Oliver set up a school for disaffected teens and the 'teachers' were people who knew their stuff (apparently):

Teachers
Head Teacher: John D'Abbro, OBE
Art: Rolf Harris
Cooking: Jamie Oliver OBE
Cricket: Michael Vaughan OBE
Diving: Daley Thompson CBE
English: Simon Callow CBE
History: Dr David Starkey CBE
Latin: Prof. Dame Mary Beard DBE
Law (Human Rights): Cherie Blair, CBE
Maths: Alvin Hall
Music: Jazzie B, OBE
Photography: Rankin
Poetry: Sir Andrew Motion
Politics: Alastair Campbell
Sailing: Dame Ellen MacArthur DBE
Science (Biology): Prof. Lord Winston
Science (Environment): Jane Poynter

And this review in the Graun: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/mar/07/jamies-dream-school-teacher-verdicts

Particularly:

quote:

James Williams, lecturer in science education, University of Sussex

Michael Gove wants to get teacher training back into schools and for all teachers to have at least 2:2 degrees, but Jamie's Dream School showed exactly why he is wrong. Seeing the celebrities trying their hand at teaching highlighted the fact that good subject knowledge alone is not enough. Of the four celebrity teachers featured in episode 1, I'd offer Rolf Harris and Robert Winston a place on a teacher training course. Winston had put a lot of thought into how he might engage the students, and Harris was able to analyse what went wrong and what he could have done better. I'd need to see more of Callow in action, but Starkey, I'm afraid, would not be offered a place.

That aged well!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Yvette Cooper is dreadful. Just a racist oval office through and through.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

She is, but I've no idea how you get to the point of not wanting to demand tough action on rape (a crime) because you're scared of looking soft on crime.

It's like saying you gave Jimmy Savile the keys to that hospital because you're very concerned about children's health.

Well, the... I won't use the word 'logic' but the thinking is, I suppose, that people in concentration camps prison detention are there because they deserve to be because they're criminals (And worse, immigrants) so anything that works in their defense would be said to be soft, taking the side of criminals over honest law-abiding white people, and surely a politically motivated action that takes seriously some entirely spurious claims. After all, the screws can't be criminals, or they'd be the ones in prison!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The whole logic about indefinite detention is so hosed up in the first place. As is banning asylum seekers from working and then blaming them for being a drain on resources.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Law (Human Rights): Cherie Blair, CBE
More like Law (Human Rights): Cherie Blair, CBA.

Also no chemistry teacher. Was Andrew Szydlo busy?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

The whole logic about indefinite detention is so hosed up in the first place. As is banning asylum seekers from working and then blaming them for being a drain on resources.

There's logic behind indefinite detention beyond 'nobody with any power cares about you lol'?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's hosed up that there seems to be a huge swathe of human rights lawyers who got into it to argue humans have no rights.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's hosed up that there seems to be a huge swathe of human rights lawyers who got into it to argue humans have no rights.

For ~~Balance~~

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Landlord posted notice that we have to move out within 3 months through our letterbox. We’re still on horrific ITU rotas where we almost never have days off together, and it’s impossible (and possibly illegal??) to actually arrange a viewing of a flat anyway.

Thank you for coming to my livejournal reading,
Increasingly radicalised of manchester

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cerv posted:

you can argue one way or the other on if it'd be worth the bother. I can't pretend I'd know for sure which is correct without a crystal ball.
I suspect that the weight of "we're in the middle of the greatest national crisis in a generation" has weighed into it. not wanting to be seen as time wasting.

aren't they just voting on the first reading? parliamentary procedure is boring but at this point it's a vote on whether to proceed to further stages, not to pass into law.
so if you want any chance to amend it in the commons / lords you have to proceed. which is why it's common for the opposition not to vote against at this stage. if they agree there is a need for "a bill" rather than specifically the government's preferred bill. and given that Brexit has happened and torn up the current immigration system we do need an immigration bill.
Labour will be (futilely) voting against at the 3rd reading, unless by some miracle 80 odd Tory rebels join in on amendments to bin the salary threshold, etc.

you really will defend loving anything by centrist shits won't you

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1262455606436388866?s=20

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/18/keir-starmer-can-make-mark-labour-leader-taking-teachers-unions/

Just nakedly pushing the party right now.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Cerv posted:

Nope, it's the second reading today. (source)

Vitamin P posted:

If he blew up at you for making a joke that's disgusting, if you don't feel safe to insult a dogshit politician with your partner then your partner is dogshit.

Morally and intellectually you're completely in the right, if your circumstances mean you have to acquiese to his bullshit then okay stay well keep safe, but if not any oval office that tries to tell you what can and can't be joked about is an evil authoritarian piece of poo poo.

This is a little bit of an overreaction.

Cerv posted:

The whips office have severely bollocked Dorries, Caulfield & Allan over exactly that point.
I’m not sure a course case would really add anything, except the small cash settlement

I know this used to be a big deal, but in the modern post-truth Tory party I was imaging it was just a "chortle, chortle, what a jape, don't do it again".

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 18, 2020

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't seen it posted but maybe it's old news.

Jon Lansman, Momentum Chair, has stepped down. People on the Momentum mailing list should have received an email an hour ago.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gonzo McFee posted:

oh no gonzo what have they done to you lol

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

Made me start. He was my chemistry teacher from 13 to 18, and I was his assistant for quite a few of his lectures.

Amazing dude, taught me far too much about things that probably aren't wise. Friday chemistry club was a literal bomb making factory where I'd direct 15 year olds in the making of large quantities of guncotton.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Juche Couture posted:

Landlord posted notice that we have to move out within 3 months through our letterbox. We’re still on horrific ITU rotas where we almost never have days off together, and it’s impossible (and possibly illegal??) to actually arrange a viewing of a flat anyway.

I think that you can tell him to shove it where the sun shineth not to be quite frank. I might not be a lawyer, but the idea that "it's passed now, please leave" is horseshit.

Also, I posted this in the discord, but thought it would be good to post it here: Would anyone be interested in playing a Night Black Agents game? It is a horror/spy story taking place in the modern world. The PC's are spies, they can range from the John LeCarre "businessman whose business is espionage" all the way up to James Bond, with all points in between. The main goal of the game is your characters either stumbling upon, or being stumbled upon, by vampires. These too range from the Dracula stereotype all the way to psychic monsters. If folks are interested I am looking for between 3-5 people to play, preferably every Wednesday from 6 till about 10/11 (BST at the moment)

For session 0, a decision needs to be made as to what sort of game folks want to take part in, be it a thriller with lots of henchmen to beat up and guns to shoot, or whether violence does not come often, and is always scary when it breaks out.

Please contact me either here or in PM's. Thank you!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CoolCab posted:

oh no gonzo what have they done to you lol
I've riled some very normal people with my usual rambunctious and rakish humour again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

Made me start. He was my chemistry teacher from 13 to 18, and I was his assistant for quite a few of his lectures.

Amazing dude, taught me far too much about things that probably aren't wise. Friday chemistry club was a literal bomb making factory where I'd direct 15 year olds in the making of large quantities of guncotton.
That's great stuff, I love his lectures.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Juche Couture posted:

ACORN has a pretty large Manchester branch, contact them. There may not be a huge amount of legal protection to offer depending on the notice period given and contracts but if your landlord is a company then they can help do some major reputational damage to try and keep you there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Juche Couture posted:

Did he give a reason?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Communist Thoughts posted:

5000 virus deaths should be considered a scandal tbqh. Most of Europe's numbers infection and death figures are shocking if you compare them with countries that are right next to China, or even China itself. People have been praising Germany's response, but Germany has over 8000 deaths and there isn't a country in East Asia that approaches that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

big scary monsters posted:

5000 virus deaths should be considered a scandal tbqh. Most of Europe's numbers infection and death figures are shocking if you compare them with countries that are right next to China, or even China itself. People have been praising Germany's response, but Germany has over 8000 deaths and there isn't a country in East Asia that approaches that.

China's numbers aren't trustworthy.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

That's great stuff, I love his lectures.

He really is the same in person as his public persona. He introduced himself to us at the start of senior school by smacking a load of white phosphorous mixed with potassium chlorate with a hammer. Left us all with ringing ears. And one of the last things I did before starting Study Leave for my A-levels was helping him blow up every chemistry lab in the science block with a shitload of balloons full of Hydrogen and Oxygen, about three kilos of flash powder as an igniter and a potassium permanganate fuse. The whole top level of the building was pouring white smoke from every window following an actinic white flash and series of thunderous bangs. Our despised headmaster pretty much poo poo himself, as he happened to be in the quad when it all went off.. This was pre-9/11. I doubt it would have flown today.

I've posted this story before elsewhere here, but here you go. I very much became his protege, and we went all around the country doing lectures at schools and colleges with me as his assistant (my official job title was ‘Igor’). One time in particular we were going to a school about a hundred miles away from home. We went in one of his many clapped out Triumph Heralds (I had to hold the door closed down the motorway), and I had a 25l cask of liquid nitrogen between my knees, a kilo of gun cotton on my lap and on top of that about thirty grams of nitrogen triiodide. That stuff takes about 2 hours to fully cure, and then is touch sensitive.

Of course, we got stuck in traffic. On arriving at the school two hours and ten minutes later I was instructed to yeet the triiodide out of the window. It blew a significant chunk out of a nearby rose bush, and if we’d hit a pothole on the way in I’d have been both history and geography..

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gort posted:

China's numbers aren't trustworthy.
What makes you trust them less than Germany's? Do you mistrust all of Asia the same? If any of the figures are even in the ballpark, Europe is in the main doing shockingly poorly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

He really is the same in person as his public persona. He introduced himself to us at the start of senior school by smacking a load of white phosphorous mixed with potassium chlorate with a hammer. Left us all with ringing ears. And one of the last things I did before starting Study Leave for my A-levels was helping him blow up every chemistry lab in the science block with a shitload of balloons full of Hydrogen and Oxygen, about three kilos of flash powder as an igniter and a potassium permanganate fuse. The whole top level of the building was pouring white smoke from every window following an actinic white flash and series of thunderous bangs. Our despised headmaster pretty much poo poo himself, as he happened to be in the quad when it all went off.. This was pre-9/11. I doubt it would have flown today.

I've posted this story before elsewhere here, but here you go. I very much became his protege, and we went all around the country doing lectures at schools and colleges with me as his assistant (my official job title was ‘Igor’). One time in particular we were going to a school about a hundred miles away from home. We went in one of his many clapped out Triumph Heralds (I had to hold the door closed down the motorway), and I had a 25l cask of liquid nitrogen between my knees, a kilo of gun cotton on my lap and on top of that about thirty grams of nitrogen triiodide. That stuff takes about 2 hours to fully cure, and then is touch sensitive.

Of course, we got stuck in traffic. On arriving at the school two hours and ten minutes later I was instructed to yeet the triiodide out of the window. It blew a significant chunk out of a nearby rose bush, and if we’d hit a pothole on the way in I’d have been both history and geography..

What a great anecdote :)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Can't believe all the asian countries faked their stats to make the west look bad :(

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It seems like only a small number of countries have completed their first wave, while we can assess the quality of a countries response to theirs we're a long way off from comparing final casualties.

Any country can bungle their second wave.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What makes you trust them less than Germany's? Do you mistrust all of Asia the same?

I didn't say either of these things.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gort posted:

I didn't say either of these things.
Were you leading into a specific point, or was it just a general observation on China's untrustworthy nature?

e: To be clear, I'm quite prepared to believe that China are underreporting deaths, we know plenty of other countries are. But I'm not really interested in arguing the exact number of Chinese deaths - the point is that unless the real figures are an order of magnitude or two higher than the reported ones across most of Asia, it seems like the larger Western countries should really be doing a lot better.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 18, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dictatorships actively engaged in commiting genocide, re-education camps and black hole prisons are very trustworthy sources when it comes to deaths from a virus .

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 18, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Were you leading into a specific point, or was it just a general observation on China's untrustworthy nature?

e: To be clear, I'm quite prepared to believe that China are underreporting deaths, we know plenty of other countries are. But I'm not really interested in arguing the exact number of Chinese deaths - the point is that unless the real figures are an order of magnitude or two higher than the reported ones across most of Asia, it seems like the larger Western countries should really be doing a lot better.

We both agree that the figures are likely to be inaccurate, so it's not worth using them as a starting point for a thought process. It's not useful to try and second-guess to what exact degree the books are cooked.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Juche Couture posted:

Just because you have been given notice does not compel you to leave on the last day of the third month.

To get you out, the landlord will need to apply to the court (and there's a massive backlog), get a court order if they have filled in the paperwork properly, then arrange for bailiffs after that.

Even if all goes well for the landlord, you can still legitimately be in that place this time next year.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm glad that while Pissflaps is long gone his spirit still remains.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

What makes you trust them less than Germany's? Do you mistrust all of Asia the same? If any of the figures are even in the ballpark, Europe is in the main doing shockingly poorly.

In april, Jarkarta had reported 381 Corona deaths, but had over 3300 excess deaths, and there was a province in Equador that had few reported Corona deaths, but over 10k excess deaths. One reason Europe have reported more cases is that we have the resources to do checks on deceased, while poorer country has to save those for the living. And I find it hard to believe that countries as Russia and Turkey, which have reported several times more cases than China, still have fewer deaths.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Germany is not actively, presently conducting a genocide, to the best of my knowledge. That tends to throw a country's death reporting off, both locally and nationally. For the same reason, I would not trust India's numbers too much, especially in Muslim-heavy areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ronya posted:

Standard therapy advice for political differences in marriage is to think carefully whether you, personally, place shared political participation or discussion or consumption (e.g. reading social media) amongst the things which bring you self-fulfilment. For many people, the answer is no; we just do it because it's there, and we're comfortable living without it. If the worst thing in your marriage is that you must keep your sage insights on twitter's latest to yourself, then your marriage is honestly a great one.

One should watch out for a cycle of bringing up a topic and then refusing to discuss it - that is just being inconsiderate. If one doesn't wish to discuss it, then one shouldn't bring it up. There needs to be an understanding that this avoidance is mutual - learning to agree to disagree. This includes not venturing comments in order to test whether one's partner responds with the right attitude, for example (the demand-withdraw communication breakdown). But if it could just be a one-off incident in what you describe of your husband.

Otoh our political opinions, however outspoken we are and whether or not we tie them to specific parties or figures or ideologies, are the distillation of our entire value systems and worldviews and reflect on who we are as people perhaps more than anything else. I'd venture to say that there's at least a minimum level of compatibility necessary when picking a long-term partner if you want a healthy and fulfilling relationship. For what it's worth, I could absolutely not stay with my girlfriend if she started diverging significantly away from me politically, which a lurch to tepid centrism would definitely qualify as, and I would neither expect nor want her to stay with me were the roles reversed. This isn't to say I'd expect a partner to be 100% politically aligned with me, but I would expect us to be broadly in agreement on the Correct direction of travel. I'd also say that one party being a giant baby and refusing to discuss in good faith or otherwise explain their reasoning for - in this case - plumping for Starmer reflects very poorly, especially if you've previously enjoyed debating one another on political issues throughout the relationship.