Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Squats v Hrud box set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I just want my robo dog calvary flamethrowers

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
I kind of want 9th to be announced just to watch BoLS and Spikey Bitz implode into clickbait singularities.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Most beloved among the armor of the IVth company is the lumbering behemoth "пыльник." Known as a near immortal magnet for opposing firepower, it is beloved for attracting fire, shrugging off incredible damage, and being returned to functionality despite wounds that would more than total other vehicles.

This guy sat for, not exagerating, over a decade assembled without being painted as I love the model but find the rules frustrating.

The Vindicator is a great model, and you did it justice. If GW launches 9th soon, maybe they'll get around to doing something about it's awful points cost/ruleset.

But I'll take the contrarian view and guess GW is finally launching a proper electronic roster editor (alongside 9th, which will basically be a rules consolidation).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It's this, but also 9E, an Emp's Children codex, and a new Guard range.

May as well shoot for the moon
Well with all those new Catachan character models coming out lately, it does suggest the sculptors over there have had them on their mind...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
What if it was the app for building army lists they promised 4 years ago.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yeast posted:

This?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/combat-roster/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Nah, something that can be used for actual games.

What everyone has asked for, a GW released and maintained service that uses points and is updated.

Ideally a paid subscription service.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeast posted:

:laffo:

I figure it is likely 9th, but a new range of plastic IG would be much more interesting. Ideally Chaos IG.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:laffo:

I figure it is likely 9th, but a new range of plastic IG would be much more interesting. Ideally Chaos IG.

I hope it’s not a new plastic guard army, because then I would be compelled to buy and paint it :shrug:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Renegade Guard currently only has lovely barely functional rules in the FW books, so here's hoping they get real rules. I also wanna take Guard lords of war with my Thousand Sons army (even if they're not great without buffs)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I reckon it'll be none of those things

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yeast posted:

Nah, something that can be used for actual games.

What everyone has asked for, a GW released and maintained service that uses points and is updated.

Ideally a paid subscription service.

Okay but why tho when BattleScribe already does that and GW didn't have to pay a dime to design or maintain it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
a new primaris Leffftenant

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to new Necrons to add to my collection.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

a new primaris Leffftenant

We don't give you too much poo poo about Alooooominum, you leave us our Leffftenants. Them's the rules.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Necrons vs. Eldar box set. I'd be tempted to buy that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

lol if anyone thinks that a 9th starter box won't have Ultramarines.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I need more monopose marines.

Seriously. They make quartering easier.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Unless I'm dreaming, they announced work on a proper roster editor at the same time that was being rolled out. Then it took months after it's release for combat roster to actually work, and there's been nothing further mentioned about the fully featured version.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I reckon the big news will be that they are bringing out 9th edition but the only rules changes is that every single unit will have its own codex which will also contain the rules for two other units from entirely different armies and that all models are now going to be at least on a 42mm base and starting from this weekend if your model isn't on the right base you can't play in their tournaments.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Big guess: They're going to do away with codexes.

They're dead tree hardcovers that are obsolete two weeks after release. But you still need one, along with Chapter Approved, your PA book, an errata printout, and maybe a Vigilus book? Or the WD with inquisitors?

It's a dumb sales model and only makes people buy less stuff. Nobody is going to splash in an allied Guard choice because you need $$$ worth of rules just for a Taurox and ten Scions.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Complementary insight: the profit margin is probably higher on plastic than paper anyway, so it is a win-win.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

I reckon the big news will be that they are bringing out 9th edition but the only rules changes is that every single unit will have its own codex which will also contain the rules for two other units from entirely different armies and that all models are now going to be at least on a 42mm base and starting from this weekend if your model isn't on the right base you can't play in their tournaments.

That's fine. The GW run tournaments are poo poo compared to the big independent tournaments like LVO, NOVA, and Adepticon anyway. Hell, I don't think I've been to an official GW run event since, what late 4th, early 5th edition? When they quit running them during 6th and 7th they ceded the ability to control how we play. Hell, the premiere tournament rules aren't anything GW does, it's ITC.

What the ITC guys say I can bring to the table, and about how it's based, painted, and converted means a lot more to me than anything GW says on the matter. :colbert:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Strobe posted:

Okay but why tho when BattleScribe already does that and GW didn't have to pay a dime to design or maintain it

Because battle scribe isn't theres. And that's very very important to GW.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yeast posted:

Because battle scribe isn't theres. And that's very very important to GW.

Not Invented Here.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
AoS's Azyr app is so fuckin' good it's a genuine shock that 40k doesn't have its own equivalent.

Like seriously, it's so much more user friendly and better designed than Battlescribe it's not even funny, but makes the lack of a 40k companion app even more boggling.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
40k dndbeyond would be mint

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

They're dead tree hardcovers that are obsolete two weeks after release. But you still need one, along with Chapter Approved, your PA book, an errata printout, and maybe a Vigilus book? Or the WD with inquisitors?

It's a dumb sales model and only makes people buy less stuff. Nobody is going to splash in an allied Guard choice because you need $$$ worth of rules just for a Taurox and ten Scions.

I'm really curious if they'd straight up make more money by eliminating all the book buy-in apart from a single core rulebook for the edition, with errata on the website and a listbuilder/datasheet app. The process of starting an army in 40k - even in AoS - is really intimidating for a new player, because it's so weird and unclear what stuff to get when you just wanna buy shiny new toys to build and paint without having to read multiple rulebooks and gently caress with lists for hours first. It doesn't help that the Start Collecting boxes are unevenly valued in terms of both point and dollar value and sometimes contain very strange model choices.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The announcement will be they're discontinuing plastic Sisters of Battle and reverting to metal.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Renegade guard or dark mechanicus would be great and would make a lot of sense given how often they both come up in fluff constantly, but they'd have been teased way before if that was going to happen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MinistryofLard posted:

Renegade guard or dark mechanicus would be great and would make a lot of sense given how often they both come up in fluff constantly, but they'd have been teased way before if that was going to happen.

I can't see these factions happening (even though they'd rule) because they're already not marines. I was hoping for a full Eldar line refresh since I played Eldar first as a kid, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. Maybe in the future they'll do a revenge of the craftworlds and make some guardians leaping off rocks or some dark reapers leaping off rocks.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

moths posted:

Given they're actively patching units after release this would make sense (which means it probably wont be this).

What finally burned me out on 40k was the codex price hike with 6th(?) Edition when I realised I was going to have to spend £300+ just on dead trees to get the rules for all my armies. Eliminating that expense might just tempt me back in, god damnit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I've said for a long time having a legitimate digital edition that's updated properly for rules and then make the books more fancy mostly aimed at collectors makes a ton of sense so I'd bet money that isn't going to be what GW does.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

This is a good idea, and maybe it's time. GW seems to have paid much attention to the disaster Privateer Press caused themselves by dumping paper codicies. Things like having all points on a single page is a pain for players, but for a while it allowed GW to both update balance and keep paper codicies more or less current. At this point, though, that's totally out-the-window given that all armies are now bringing multiple books to a game (for just their rules). And GW's practice of refusing to have codex entries until for units not currently in production worse (they know what models are coming years before the codex publishes, but don't include the rules until the models are on sale because of legal advice).

So, 5% chance they'll do it when the edition changes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I need more monopose marines.

Seriously. They make quartering easier.

haha you left easy at the door when you entered the house of the Howling Griffons

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

JBP posted:

I can't see these factions happening (even though they'd rule) because they're already not marines. I was hoping for a full Eldar line refresh since I played Eldar first as a kid, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. Maybe in the future they'll do a revenge of the craftworlds and make some guardians leaping off rocks or some dark reapers leaping off rocks.

Yeah the main nail in the Renegades and Heretics coffin is that that would imply that something that wasn't a space marine had agency.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Kitchner posted:

and starting from this weekend if your model isn't on the right base you can't play in their tournaments.

LOL, tournaments.

Unironic Krieg cosplay mandatory.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crosspost of a completed objectively worst in-game but coolest Armiger:

Trying to clear some of the AdMech backlog (spurred by charity) before more shiny robots appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Comedy prediction: Eldar Aeldari are going to go the way of the Squats in 9th.