Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I wish 3D land got a 3DS sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would settle for a Switch sequel to World. I am completely fine with multiple Mario series for different niches.

Also a post back when I asked about short session games reminded me that we need a switch Mario Golf.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Is anyone still playing Mario Golf?
I just picked it up and am loving it but confused if I should start with the Castle or more of the Quick Round stuff

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Is anyone still playing Mario Golf?
I just picked it up and am loving it but confused if I should start with the Castle or more of the Quick Round stuff

I've looked into Mario Golf and it looks great, and I wish they had just done that with Tennis, because as far as a game goes I just really don't like golf.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They did do that with tennis, only on the switch

Speaking of i really hope we get to hear something about a new mario golf this year, it's been so long

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In what way is Golf a short session game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It doesn't take nearly as long to play a round of video game golf than it does irl golf, and also the last Mario Golf had a lot of 3 and 9 hole stuff

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mario Golf also lends itself well to doing one or 2 holes then putting the system to sleep and coming back to it. I desperately want one on Switch.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mario Golf also lends itself well to doing one or 2 holes then putting the system to sleep and coming back to it. I desperately want one on Switch.

It's this op. It also also maybe the sport that most successfully translates to video game space imo

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is Flipnote Studio 3D gone from the eShop? I used some of those worthless My Nintendo coins to gently caress around with it and entering them in it says I already own it. Looked for it to redownload and came up empty handed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fly Ricky posted:

Is Flipnote Studio 3D gone from the eShop? I used some of those worthless My Nintendo coins to gently caress around with it and entering them in it says I already own it. Looked for it to redownload and came up empty handed.

I did some searching and they pulled it from the store and made it a My Nintendo reward. You need to use 200 Platinum Points to get it.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Flipnote-Studio-3D-763095.html

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Flipnote 3D was only ever available through Platinum points, in Europe at least.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Sorry for the double post, but to raise this thread from the dead on a completely different topic...

My son’s 3DS circle pad broke off about a month ago. Using my professional engineering I superglued that sunnvabitch right back on and it worked flawlessly.

Fast forward to yesterday, and he shows me it broke off again but he cannot find the pad. Using it without the pad, it’s not registering movement to the right. A pretty important direction for most platformers.

Is there a recommended replacement for that whole part? Or is it more of a “send it to Nintendo” and pay to have it done scenario? Either way I’m fine with it.

I’d rather just buy another Switch for his personal use if it comes down to having to replace the whole thing with a 2DSXL.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 29, 2020

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I guess a couple of friends had heard that the Majora's Mask 3DS was kind of my Lost Lenore -- I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find it back in the day -- because they surprised me with one today as a late birthday present. It's used but in very good condition, I can't figure out how they got it without paying a fortune.

I was very touched, but also a bit anxious because this blows my 3DS backlog wide open again. :v:

EDIT: To clarify, they got me the MM console, not the game, but I'll be firing up that copy soon too. :)

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 1, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some diehards of the original have issues with it but I found it superior in almost every way and I actually completed it for the first time on 3DS. I’d always give up at Snowhead on N64.

Enjoy and happy birthday.:)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone ever get the 3D releases of Streets of Rage 1+2? I've gotten pretty hype about 4 and I've played a bit of 1 on Sega Classics, but I don't want to buy that collection for only 3 games, even if these two are half the price of that when it's on sale (I have no nostalgia for Sega and "having" 50 more games around to beat just sort of intimidates me).

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyone ever get the 3D releases of Streets of Rage 1+2? I've gotten pretty hype about 4 and I've played a bit of 1 on Sega Classics, but I don't want to buy that collection for only 3 games, even if these two are half the price of that when it's on sale (I have no nostalgia for Sega and "having" 50 more games around to beat just sort of intimidates me).

They're really good, if fairly straightforward feature-wise, versions of the games with some nice, simple diorama-style 3D effects. Definitely a good way to play the games, especially with some headphones plugged in to enjoy the Koshiro jams.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 3DS versions are fine, and they work fantastically in 3D if that's something you care about.

The emulation in that collection isn't great but it has features the 3DS versions don't - online multiplayer, a rewind feature, etc. They're also much better suited to local multiplayer, the 3DS version requires two copies of the game and two 3DS.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rewind is something I really do like, it's been a god-send in the NES Switch stuff, but the price is too steep for so many games I really don't care about.

Just checking out the images on the shop screen and the 3D is pretty incredible. It's not something I generally care about, seeing how it drains the battery a touch quicker (I think?), but WOW it looks really good here.

For 5 euro I could do worse. Do they do Save-states at least?

Thanks!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
They have a single save state you can save and load from at any time by bringing up the menu on the touch screen

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They’re absolutely worth it. They’re probably the best versions of the game at the moment. I especially like the added features like letting you play a mode where you play as a different character in each stage. They look drat cool in 3D too.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re absolutely worth it. They’re probably the best versions of the game at the moment. I especially like the added features like letting you play a mode where you play as a different character in each stage. They look drat cool in 3D too.

They are sooo drat good. I bought every single one, and double-dipped on the collection because there are a few exclusives.

The emulation is spot-on, and the 3D effects are both tastefully and noticeably done. Like SeANMcBAY said, some of them have some really cool extras. Stuff like Afterburner having a cockpit mode and motion controls. Literally everything works.

There is a series of interviews somewhere (link anyone?) that details the incredible effort M2 put into getting everything PERFECT.

A few of those games are beyond any amount of effort becoming good (I’m looking at you Altered Beast), but even those are worth a few bucks just to see the valiant effort they made.

Oh, and here’s a Flipnote 3D code in case anyone wants it. I’m an idiot who didn’t realize I had it already installed when I got it from Club Nintendo: B0KB J74T 0JGG K0PH Not sure if the spoiler code keeps anons from stealing these, but it’s not like it’s worth much anyways.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So for anyone wondering I got Streets of Rage 2, because it just looks so drat good. I did find, much to my joy, that Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3 are all available on Steam for 99 cents for MAC! Which never happens. So I got the odd-numbered ones there. I'll be getting 4, but I'm really excited to have discovered this series. It's a lot of fun and the perfect distraction in between bouts of JRPG's.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So for anyone wondering I got Streets of Rage 2, because it just looks so drat good. I did find, much to my joy, that Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3 are all available on Steam for 99 cents for MAC! Which never happens. So I got the odd-numbered ones there. I'll be getting 4, but I'm really excited to have discovered this series. It's a lot of fun and the perfect distraction in between bouts of JRPG's.

Have fun. It's the best beat em up series and holds up much better than most in the genre. 3 gets overlooked due to it coming out late in the Mega Drive/Genesis lifespan and not having as great of a soundtrack but it's still good with some interesting new charge up special mechanics.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man I don't know how the gently caress I skipped Link Between World's even though I owned it for a year or something but it's good. Seems pretty easy but I just got to Lorule. Probably gonna try one of the Fire Emblems afterwards.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Conquest is probably my favorite Fire Emblem mechanically, even if that came at the cost of everything else.

I'll give Lunatic another shot once I'm done with OoT.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Just beat Bravely Second.
I love beating RPGs because they do that thing where you see a snapshot of the characters you meet along the way living happily ever after.
And also there's this idea and feeling that everyone positive you meet is always connected to you.
And it was so sappy with 3 romantic plots resolving at the end.
And also something that always hits meIs the credit roll finishing with 'and YOU' or something similar.
I am thankful for the joy video games can provide

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Just beat Bravely Second.
I love beating RPGs because they do that thing where you see a snapshot of the characters you meet along the way living happily ever after.
And also there's this idea and feeling that everyone positive you meet is always connected to you.
And it was so sappy with 3 romantic plots resolving at the end.
And also something that always hits meIs the credit roll finishing with 'and YOU' or something similar.
I am thankful for the joy video games can provide

That was me beating FFVI last week. RPGS are great.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I caved in and got a physical copy of Bravely Default. Pretty funny how much pricier it is compared to Bravely Second, I can only assume there were a lot more copies of BS made. Is it important to have friends for BD?

edit: oh, it looks like you get villagers from updating your data.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 18, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

I caved in and got a physical copy of Bravely Default. Pretty funny how much pricier it is compared to Bravely Second, I can only assume there were a lot more copies of BS made. Is it important to have friends for BD?

edit: oh, it looks like you get villagers from updating your data.

Also just keep updating it. For some reason I thought that I couldn't have more than 10 for a very long time. You can have more than 10 villagers.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think the limit is 99 but you will probably finish your village before that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think the limit is 99 but you will probably finish your village before that.
I have about 500 in my Norende, so I think the limit is more like 999.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also just keep updating it. For some reason I thought that I couldn't have more than 10 for a very long time. You can have more than 10 villagers.
The game only accepts 20 of your actual 3DS console's registered friends, so maybe that was the source of your confusion?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

The game only accepts 20 of your actual 3DS console's registered friends, so maybe that was the source of your confusion?

I like that you think I have friends with 3DS's. :unsmith:

No, it's just when I began updating it it did 3 at a time then two and two. And somehow I figured that meant it had stopped. There was no reason to believe this, 10 is just a round number.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I like that you think I have friends with 3DS's. :unsmith:

No, it's just when I began updating it it did 3 at a time then two and two. And somehow I figured that meant it had stopped. There was no reason to believe this, 10 is just a round number.
Many of my IRL friends have a 3DS, but only one has actually played Bravely, and I don't even know if he beat it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was a good forty hours into Bravely Default before I lost my 3DS and I cant bring myself to replay it. I should really just power through it again

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I've max'd out my village at like 50 villagers, that is ridiculously high.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've max'd out my village at like 50 villagers, that is ridiculously high.
Yeah, I was using updates to get Nemeses long after I'd maxed my village out, so I was still gaining villagers.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I got maybe like 15 hours into braverly and I totally forgot where I'm supposed to go or even what the story was anymore.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

E2M2 posted:

I got maybe like 15 hours into braverly and I totally forgot where I'm supposed to go or even what the story was anymore.
There's a plot recap in D's Journal, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just want some clarification after googling around; for Fire Emblem Fates, it's not necessary to buy both Conquest and Birthright, correct? If one is bought and played, there comes an option to buy the other game through a discounted dlc price?