Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Ok Comboomer posted:

One Hundred Years of SolitudeFourteen to Twenty Years of Basically The Same MacBook Pro

I can’t do it any other way, I can’t take care of my poo poo and hate cases, so I can’t play the reselling treadmill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Bob Morales posted:

You can't really compare that because you're running Linux on the desktop, right?

as long as apple sell their laptops and operating system as a single indivisible package i think it's fair to hold this against them

especially as you can't run linux on the new laptops with the t2

fwiw, i'm using an imac tho

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I really don't see the point of running Linux on newer hardware right now considering you've already got a shell built in, and home brew to update the ancient included toolset.

I get it on older systems to maybe squeeze some performance out of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I can’t do it any other way, I can’t take care of my poo poo and hate cases, so I can’t play the reselling treadmill

I’m not hating. I’m running my 2013 into the dirt baybeee

Idk when that’s gonna be because it’s physically pristine, tho it needs a battery swap if I can still get one. loving Volvo-rear end slab monster. I love the poo poo out of this laptop, just an all-around super satisfactory machine. Feels as good to type on now as the day I got it, refurb too.

Can’t really hate on the modern era of tech stagnation. It’s saved me so much cash!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk when that’s gonna be because it’s physically pristine, tho it needs a battery swap if I can still get one. loving Volvo-rear end slab monster. I love the poo poo out of this laptop, just an all-around super satisfactory machine. Feels as good to type on now as the day I got it, refurb too.

Can’t really hate on the modern era of tech stagnation. It’s saved me so much cash!

Same. I manually upgraded to a 500GB SSD and am 950 cycles into my 2nd battery. It claims to be at 86% health though last week it was <80% so who knows. Beyond maybe another battery before it's vintaged I'm not too bothered.It'd be nice ifI had 16GB of RAM and I was thinking I might get this years refresh, but it's not jumped out enough to spend the £1800 that the 16GB/512GB MacBook Pro would cost.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

Describe your ideal “top tier” MacBook.

It would honestly not be something Apple would make or sell a lot of. A halo product. Much like the new Mac Pro. It would be for all intents and purposes a desktop replacement. 2009 17” footprint and thickness or more. Top class cooling not just among Apple laptops. At 75F ambient it would be able to maintain the maximum turbo boost under full load forever. 2 removable 100Wh batteries. Can take a beating. This would be something you take from one desk to another. In the field. Not something you use on your lap at the Starbucks sofa waiting for a drink or on your lap at school.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 17, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

It would honestly not be something Apple would make or sell a lot of. A halo product. Much like the new Mac Pro. It would be for all intents and purposes a desktop replacement. 2009 17” footprint and thickness or more. Top class cooling not just among Apple laptops. At 75F ambient it would be able to maintain the maximum turbo boost under full load forever. 2 removable 100Wh batteries. Can take a beating. This would be something you take from one desk to another. In the field. Not something you use on your lap at the Starbucks sofa waiting for a drink or on your lap at school.

here

or this one’s way better

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
My parents got me a hefty apple store gift card as a you're-finishing-your-Ph.D-soon-and-the-job-market-evaporated present and I'm trying to decide between the two and four port MacBook pro models.

Since my planned career basically doesn't exist anymore, I'm studying for infosec related certifications ATM, so I need something that can run VMs/Splunk/related tools + a Haskell compiler (the latter is more for fun, I'm working on a long term hobby project in Haskell). The base model 2 port probably isn't a good call, so I'm looking at either the two port upgraded to 16gb ram/512gb SSD or the base model 4 port. With the education store discount, that config of the two port is ~$1500 vs ~ $~1700 for the base model four port with the same specs. That's not a huge difference but the main benefit of the four port (aside from the ports) seems to be better GPU performance and I never game on a laptop since I have a gaming PC and a switch. I have no idea how much of a difference the faster ram makes either.

I'd like this thing to last for a while - ideally ~5 years of solid use if that's realistic - since I'm going to be unemployed shortly and who knows how long it'll take the economy to recover. Is the four port model worth it?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, I'll also be using it for intermediate-level music production in Reaper (or maybe I'll give Logic a shot). Nothing too crazy, just some guitar amp sims/EZDrummer/samplers for making metal. I can bounce tracks to .wavs if I need to though, so I think either would work fine.

Advice?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

My parents got me a hefty apple store gift card as a you're-finishing-your-Ph.D-soon-and-the-job-market-evaporated present and I'm trying to decide between the two and four port MacBook pro models.

Since my planned career basically doesn't exist anymore, I'm studying for infosec related certifications ATM, so I need something that can run VMs/Splunk/related tools + a Haskell compiler (the latter is more for fun, I'm working on a long term hobby project in Haskell). The base model 2 port probably isn't a good call, so I'm looking at either the two port upgraded to 16gb ram/512gb SSD or the base model 4 port. With the education store discount, that config of the two port is ~$1500 vs ~ $~1700 for the base model four port with the same specs. That's not a huge difference but the main benefit of the four port (aside from the ports) seems to be better GPU performance and I never game on a laptop since I have a gaming PC and a switch. I have no idea how much of a difference the faster ram makes either.

I'd like this thing to last for a while - ideally ~5 years of solid use if that's realistic - since I'm going to be unemployed shortly and who knows how long it'll take the economy to recover. Is the four port model worth it?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, I'll also be using it for intermediate-level music production in Reaper (or maybe I'll give Logic a shot). Nothing too crazy, just some guitar amp sims/EZDrummer/samplers for making metal. I can bounce tracks to .wavs if I need to though, so I think either would work fine.

Advice?

Four ports. In five years you won’t care that you saved $200. The speakers are way way better, you get two extra ports, and the extra performance are all prolly worth $200. If you can go for a 16” I’d do it unless you really want the portability.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

the talent deficit posted:

especially as you can't run linux on the new laptops with the t2

VMWare is your friend

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah all my 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP needs is a new top case since the battery's hovering at 81-83% capacity; I know I'm gonna start seeing "Service Battery" soon on it. Already removed the antiglare coating and it's almost like a brand new display!

My only misgiving with it was that I got the base, I didn't bother with 16 GB then because Apple wanted, what, an extra $400-500 for that privilege?

Although given what I know now, and especially with Catalina being the flaming heap that it is, I wouldn't buy a new Mac laptop with anything less than 16 GB.

loving ridiculous.. Apple's prices on RAM don't appear to have gotten much better either.

At least the 2 TB Inland Premium I slapped in there makes up for the lack of additional RAM, somewhat..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol sure

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ When you got a hankerin' for a 17-inch portable screen but Apple don't make one no more

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How bad is this? Do I need a whole new display assembly or just an internal component? I've never had to deal with something like this before. Out of warranty 2013 rMBP13. Was in a hardshell when dropped onto concrete impacting a corner. Bottom case looks fine but the lid is dented. Front glass is intact.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Probably only the display, but that looks like it was quite the hard hit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

~Coxy posted:

You have a point, but XPS has been bad for a while and it remains to be seen whether the vapour chamber (which is only on the 17 as well) will help it.

This is ahistorical nonsense lmao

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Phone posted:

Probably only the display, but that looks like it was quite the hard hit.

Replacement used 13" retina displays on eBay are ridiculously expensive. How much does Apple charge for this kind of fix out of warranty?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

How bad is this? Do I need a whole new display assembly or just an internal component? I've never had to deal with something like this before. Out of warranty 2013 rMBP13. Was in a hardshell when dropped onto concrete impacting a corner. Bottom case looks fine but the lid is dented. Front glass is intact.

Plug an external display into the thunderbolt port, if you get no signal / bad signal then you got logic board problems.

If you get a clean signal, probably just the LCD display.

Unfortunately you're looking at $300-400 from most third party sellers.. Apple themselves, if they were open, would probably charge $350 for the part plus 75-100 for labor..

The only part in that area you might need to be worried about is the I/O board, that's one module that has the USB, HDMI, and SDXC slot on it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Unfortunately you're looking at $300-400 from most third party sellers.. Apple themselves, if they were open, would probably charge $350 for the part plus 75-100 for labor..

I think the main board/bottom case is all fine. Seems like better to just pay Apple and get a new display with warranty than go it on my own with some shady reclaimed display. Not super important to fix so I can wait until the mall is open. There is an open air accessible Apple store I wonder if they are closed......e: yep closed. I wonder tho if they are closed because Apple corporate because that mall is technically open for pickup services for the other shops.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

For another $250 they could replace the top case, if you paid to replace that and the LCD, it'd be like nothing happened..

But then you'd be on your way to the 'paying almost the price of a new laptop to fix an old' trap..

You'd have to travel to China or South Korea to find an open Fruit Stand, but Apple expects to be opening some stateside stores perhaps later in the month..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 18, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

For another $250 they could replace the top case, if you paid to replace that and the LCD, it'd be like nothing happened..

But then you'd be on your way to the 'paying almost the price of a new laptop to fix an old' trap..

Oh....I thought you meant $350 included the top case.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

You'd have to travel to China or South Korea to find an open Fruit Stand, but Apple expects to be opening some stateside stores perhaps later in the month..

Australia is open again. After you quarantine for 14 days, of course.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I 'downgraded' my 2009 MBP17 to 10.14 with the patcher. Screen is still amazing on this. Calibrated to 99% sRGB with really good brightness (can't remember but its as bright as a much newer retina).

Seems like MacOS didn't have any UI scaling presets for this model since it's technically not supported in 10.14 so all my UI looks super tiny compared to a Retina display. It's fine and useable but just weird that I can see more UI on this 1920x1200 than a retina. Seems like the same UI scaling as my 1440p iMac.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh....I thought you meant $350 included the top case.

Topcase means the kB/trackpad containing top part of the bottom half. I think the display is all one glued together thing, so replacing that at Apple would replace the entire laptop from the hinge up.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AlternateAccount posted:

Topcase means the kB/trackpad containing top part of the bottom half. I think the display is all one glued together thing, so replacing that at Apple would replace the entire laptop from the hinge up.

Sorry meant 'top lid'. The display assembly can't really be taken apart without a huge mess right? It's all glued? Well in that case....I'll wait to see what I can get from the fruit stand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

So I 'downgraded' my 2009 MBP17 to 10.14 with the patcher. Screen is still amazing on this. Calibrated to 99% sRGB with really good brightness (can't remember but its as bright as a much newer retina).

Seems like MacOS didn't have any UI scaling presets for this model since it's technically not supported in 10.14 so all my UI looks super tiny compared to a Retina display. It's fine and useable but just weird that I can see more UI on this 1920x1200 than a retina. Seems like the same UI scaling as my 1440p iMac.

You can run "looks like 1920x1200" on a Retina

I think the 17" ends up being around 135ppi which is close to the old 13" Air and the hi-res 15" option (or "looks like" 1650x1080 or whatever it is)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here's how it looks in all is WUXGA glory.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Every once in a while I'll set my iMac to 5120x2880 to feel a rush of blood over the power I can wield but then my eyes tell me it's not worth it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Honestly WUXGA in 17" or 15" is still plenty useful and not dated. It's too bad it was dropped so soon.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shaocaholica posted:

Honestly WUXGA in 17" or 15" is still plenty useful and not dated. It's too bad it was dropped so soon.

Wait did they get rid of "looks like 1920 x 1200" on newer 15"/16" models? I use that all the time when I need to work with some documents side by side. I couldn't do it all day without a headache, but it's a great option to toggle on for a few hours when I need a lot of real estate in the same Space.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You too could be Panera Bread iMac Man.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Where is the best place to get Macbook replacement batteries?

I have a 13in 2013 retina MBP that has a battery that is on its way out.

I don't really want to upgrade yet and feel like I can get another few years out of this thing.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

What game is that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

What game is that?

demon’s souls

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s Demon’s Soul’s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
At first I was gonna say “hahaha that old guy owns bones” and then I realized that he’s not an old man, just a giant turbonerd who dresses like an old man and looks like an old man from behind.

I subtract the “bones” and conclude that he only “owns”, which is still pretty great

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone have an issue with a TS3 dock and a MacBook Pro not quite sleeping/getting kind of warm if you close the lid while it's hooked up?

I have a monitor and Samsung SSD Hooke up to it.

Really weird. When I just use the normal power supply from Apple the machine is cool to the touch when the lid is closed.

Running 10.15.whatever the latest point release is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone have an issue with a TS3 dock and a MacBook Pro not quite sleeping/getting kind of warm if you close the lid while it's hooked up?

I have a monitor and Samsung SSD Hooke up to it.

Really weird. When I just use the normal power supply from Apple the machine is cool to the touch when the lid is closed.

Running 10.15.whatever the latest point release is.

No, and I have an almost identical set up. 2018 MBP powered by TS3 dock with Samsung T5 SSD over USB-C into the dock. LG Ultawide over display port. I also have an Apple Watch charger and Anker wireless phone charger plugged into.

MBP goes immediately to sleep when I close the lid. I can then wake it up by either opening lid or by using the BT keyboard or Magic Touchpad (not the integrated one), but it will go to sleep in 45 minutes or so if it gets no input from me.

Do you have it set to sleep when on power in your power settings? Do you have anything in the background running that could be preventing sleep/making things run hot?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe seeing if you have the latest firmware on the TS3. Do you own the 16" MBP? There's an issue with the TS3 not working correctly (I think it really only affects charging, but there maybe other issues) or something without the firmware upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

No, and I have an almost identical set up. 2018 MBP powered by TS3 dock with Samsung T5 SSD over USB-C into the dock. LG Ultawide over display port. I also have an Apple Watch charger and Anker wireless phone charger plugged into.

MBP goes immediately to sleep when I close the lid. I can then wake it up by either opening lid or by using the BT keyboard or Magic Touchpad (not the integrated one), but it will go to sleep in 45 minutes or so if it gets no input from me.

Do you have it set to sleep when on power in your power settings? Do you have anything in the background running that could be preventing sleep/making things run hot?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe seeing if you have the latest firmware on the TS3. Do you own the 16" MBP? There's an issue with the TS3 not working correctly (I think it really only affects charging, but there maybe other issues) or something without the firmware upgrade.

13" 2020 4port. I'll take a look at the power settings. I've tried updating the firmware but apparently it doesn't really work on 10.15.4 and just always asks you to update a thunderbolt device every time you plug it in. No update from CalDigit since January either.

I'll see what I can dig up. Thank you!