Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ash Crimson posted:

Apparently the Scottish government are looking to ease the lockdown by the 28th of this month?

I read the announcement, they're saying you can meet people from other households at social distance, and you can go fishing and golfing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

you can argue one way or the other on if it'd be worth the bother. I can't pretend I'd know for sure which is correct without a crystal ball.
I suspect that the weight of "we're in the middle of the greatest national crisis in a generation" has weighed into it. not wanting to be seen as time wasting.

aren't they just voting on the first reading? parliamentary procedure is boring but at this point it's a vote on whether to proceed to further stages, not to pass into law.
so if you want any chance to amend it in the commons / lords you have to proceed. which is why it's common for the opposition not to vote against at this stage. if they agree there is a need for "a bill" rather than specifically the government's preferred bill. and given that Brexit has happened and torn up the current immigration system we do need an immigration bill.
Labour will be (futilely) voting against at the 3rd reading, unless by some miracle 80 odd Tory rebels join in on amendments to bin the salary threshold, etc.

Ah yes my favourite, posting about parliamentary procedure to excuse Labour doing controls on immigration poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Again? I never could in the first place. :dadjoke:
(Are they helping me get the kit?)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
but there's still like Australia, new Zealand, south Korea and Taiwan, who I'd assume are all relatively trustworthy on this?

The standard chud justifications for why our numbers are amongst the worst in the world seem to be high population density and us having lots of travel connections, but "We were particularly susceptible to getting really badly hosed by it" doesn't seem like the iron clad defence against incompetence that they think it is, to me

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Vietnam, too. More people than Germany, zero deaths so far.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I read the announcement, they're saying you can meet people from other households at social distance, and you can go fishing and golfing again.

My worry is that businesses will interpret this as "everything is normal, come back to work NOW"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Weird how viruses don't affect middle class pursuits like they affect working class pursuits.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I know golfing is a rah rah thing generally but the only people I know who go on the reg are all working class guys who have a group pub session at the local course once a month, like the darts

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And the name of that working class pub is The Margaret Thatcher Inn.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Also golf and tennis are pretty socially distanced anyway. As long as (with golf) you don’t have someone who’s very close in between shots at least.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Also golf and tennis are pretty socially distanced anyway. As long as (with golf) you don’t have someone who’s very close in between shots at least.

but what if you cough whilst cupping the balls or stroking the shaft

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ash Crimson posted:

but what if you cough whilst cupping the balls or stroking the shaft

Then you have to take an extra stroke.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It was actually the Hayloft and a round of golf on the beach in Aberdeen is cheap with hired gear so whatever

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I dont golf btw, tried it once and hated it, plus I'm awful at it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Immigration bill: Apparently Labour were whipped to oppose but Cooper abstained: I take it the press will be roasting her alive for this for the next 5 years? (... erm....)

https://twitter.com/jemgilbert/status/1262493828495347713?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Immigration bill: Apparently Labour were whipped to oppose but Cooper abstained: I take it the press will be roasting her alive for this for the next 5 years? (... erm....)

https://twitter.com/jemgilbert/status/1262493828495347713?s=20

I thought there was something suspicious about even Wes Streeting voting against it.

Yvette has always been openly racist and will never be called on it by anyone who works in newspapers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

And the name of that working class pub is The Margaret Thatcher Inn.

The Eye & Lady

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1262506909606739968?s=19
Put Tony Blair in a bin and set fire to it Mexican gangland style.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1262506909606739968?s=19
Put Tony Blair in a bin and set fire to it Mexican gangland style.

His eyes are dead, like a shark's. No humanity

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
after the rush of millions dead in iraq it’s tough for tony to get the fix but pushing for pandemic death might do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'does Tony Blair support it' test of inhumanity continues to deliver. This is why Brexit won.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

His eyes are dead, like a shark's. No humanity

Seems awffy harsh to sharks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Seems awffy harsh to sharks.

Yes, sharks hunt to sustain themselves and genuinely don't enjoy the taste of human flesh. Blair legit has no reason to insert himself on this beyond throwing money on the pile and getting an even bigger body count attached to his name.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm not watching the video because Blair's voice sickens me, but I assume he says he believes kids should go back to school because God spoke to him

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Been having fun in the US thread, Gonzo?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Been having fun in the US thread, Gonzo?

live by the troll get an awful av by the troll

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

live by the troll get an awful av by the troll

Boy oh boy is the "store" on that website worth a look

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did he give a reason?

Wants to sell - possibly needs to sell? I don’t give a poo poo, maybe he should work instead of being reliant on speculative investments?

Cheers to everyone who replied. From reading Shelter’s website I think they are within their legal rights, but I’ve sent what I think is a reasonable compromise offer - mostly so I can point out that I’ve tried to be reasonable - and otherwise I will be in touch with ACORN/seeing if the MEN wants to run a story about are nhs heroes vs the landlord.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

genuinely don't enjoy the taste of human flesh.

Who tested this and how?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Who tested this and how?

https://twitter.com/bleatingheart/status/1262457427615715332?s=20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

Otoh our political opinions, however outspoken we are and whether or not we tie them to specific parties or figures or ideologies, are the distillation of our entire value systems and worldviews and reflect on who we are as people perhaps more than anything else. I'd venture to say that there's at least a minimum level of compatibility necessary when picking a long-term partner if you want a healthy and fulfilling relationship. For what it's worth, I could absolutely not stay with my girlfriend if she started diverging significantly away from me politically, which a lurch to tepid centrism would definitely qualify as, and I would neither expect nor want her to stay with me were the roles reversed. This isn't to say I'd expect a partner to be 100% politically aligned with me, but I would expect us to be broadly in agreement on the Correct direction of travel. I'd also say that one party being a giant baby and refusing to discuss in good faith or otherwise explain their reasoning for - in this case - plumping for Starmer reflects very poorly, especially if you've previously enjoyed debating one another on political issues throughout the relationship.

Marriage usually comes after picking a long-term partner, and usually involves some possibility of change after marriage. People aren't static. The world changes in the time it takes raise a kid.

Politics for most people is honestly pretty shallow and reflects one's passive media consumption heavily, and simply not reading the news has little relevance to one's decisions over one's life, career, hobbies, or friendships - it mainly impacts what other kinds of passive media consumption one seeks out.

Of course there are some folks to whom marriage requires political coherence - same with religious faith and cultural lifestyle - but realistically many committed relationships form before fully exploring whether there is any risk of a person changing along those lines. It's just something people have to negotiate in committed relationships. Or :sever:, maybe.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ronya posted:

Politics for most people is honestly pretty shallow and reflects one's passive media consumption heavily, and simply not reading the news has little relevance to one's decisions over one's life, career, hobbies, or friendships - it mainly impacts what other kinds of passive media consumption one seeks out.

This is so on-brand for you - Politics as just a middle-class pursuit happening in a vacuum, which allows you to spunk vacuous PPE nonsense all over the internet.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I guess they're right in that that's how many other people view politics but uh, that's a bad thing. It is also a bad thing how normal it is to marry someone before you actually know important poo poo like their politics. Like... what do you base a relationship on if you don't actually know you have similar values? Proximity? Shared enjoyment of Scrubs? Straight culture is truly wild.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mutual existential horror at the prospect of isolation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not watching the video because Blair's voice sickens me, but I assume he says he believes kids should go back to school because God spoke to him

I'm gonna assume it's because the teaching unions don't, and also that all the Big Brains will have had a damascene conversion this morning and will be quoting the Mail verbatim.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's this, this is the key

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

OwlFancier posted:

Pfft. Cowards. I'm in a relationship with existential horror.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bionic vapour boy posted:

I guess they're right in that that's how many other people view politics but uh, that's a bad thing. It is also a bad thing how normal it is to marry someone before you actually know important poo poo like their politics. Like... what do you base a relationship on if you don't actually know you have similar values? Proximity? Shared enjoyment of Scrubs? Straight culture is truly wild.

This thread is very much an outlier, the vast majority of people just don't give a poo poo about politics, and a Tory voter and Labour voter being married is considerably less remarkable to the general public than a couple where one pronounces it "scone" and the other "scone".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bionic vapour boy posted:

Pfft. Cowards. I'm in a relationship with existential horror.

That's the most creative term for masturbation I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Quite. Of course, if you, personally, are a successful community/workplace/social/religious leader and organiser, then this angle would probably fall apart.

But again for 'most' people whose engagement in politics is an hour or two a day consuming a news feed tailored to make you feel enraged at injustice and helpless at corruption, and then seeking catharsis through social media for the next hour or so, well... certainly there are worse ways to spend one's time. But if it comes between you and your higher goals of self-actualization - you know, the reasons why one might drag oneself to therapy - then you might expect to be nudged on whether passive news consumption is really helping you achieve your goals. &c