Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet Jesus, looking around I can't find an Index for less that 1700 or rift or Quest for less than 600. Guess I have plenty of time to think about which one I want lol. I'll wait until pandemic gouging ends I guess. Was so close to pulling the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veni veni veni posted:

Sweet Jesus, looking around I can't find an Index for less that 1700 or rift or Quest for less than 600. Guess I have plenty of time to think about which one I want lol. I'll wait until pandemic gouging ends I guess. Was so close to pulling the trigger.

All headsets are way over-valued right now.

There are 3 64g Quests on eBay right now for 525 though, while still higher than normal a lot less that 600 bucks. My wife wants a Quest because a few of her friends have them, so I suppose now I am indeed a part of the Facebook machine :negative:

At least I'll be able to compare both wireless VR and clarity/comfort myself between the Quest and Index!

Here are eBay links to the 3 Quests, used to be 4 but I just bought one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCULUS-QUE...PUAAOSwdXhelgq-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oculus-Quest-64GB-VR-Headset-SEALED-Brand-New-/233574262711?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, so what's the deal with Vive Pro audio from those who own one? I'm leaning towards getting a second-hand one as I want an upgrade on my Vive, and :lol: at blowing money on a Cosmos. it seems like some HMD's produced have tinny audio and others don't, or it's a driver issue if you don't use the displayport as the audio path?

veni veni veni posted:

VR headsets are a great investment right now, just for staying sane while social distancing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I noticed the screen door on OG Rift, definitely don't anymore on the Quest.

I'm sure the Index is great but my life currently requires a setup with the smallest room footprint, and the Quest delivers that. I played Alyx today on the Quest via the Link for about 3 hours and it was awesome.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

veni veni veni posted:

Just get on the wait list for an Index via Steam, use that time to build/buy a PC. Don't go second hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just get on the wait list for an Index via Steam, use that time to build/buy a PC. Don't go second hand.

One minor note with the Index is make sure your IPD's in the range for it (up to 70mm) before looking to drop a chunk of money on one. Anything past that is a bit subjective apparently.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Epic is having a sale right now and they're doing the $10 coupons again. Tetris Effect is on sale for $27.99 and if you use the coupon that brings it to $17.99. I was very interested in the game but not at $40. At $18 I bought it.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/tetris-effect/home

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, by the time you get your Index you'll be able to preorder the Index 2 and build a computer with a new series of graphics cards. It's a win win.

I'm on the waitlist and I hate it. lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is anyone else logging like, almost an hour a day on Echo Arena with Quest? I was expecting it to be a real dud like Dead and Buried II but is actually a lot of fun

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Hadlock posted:

Is anyone else logging like, almost an hour a day on Echo Arena with Quest? I was expecting it to be a real dud like Dead and Buried II but is actually a lot of fun

I’ve been playing it a ton, I finally hit the level where it keeps pairing me with 50’s so it’s a crapshoot whether I feel like I actually contribute or just try not to drag my team down. That being said, I’m getting pretty accurate with my passes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

It's the best game in VR and it's not even clsoe

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I was gonna try it out last night, but I needed to update my Quest. I'll try it soon. I'll probably get super motion sickness.

:barf:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want to find out whether or not a proper Portal VR game would actually make you sick, someone managed to make working Portal guns in VRChat using UDON. It's just a one-room test world, but they work surprisingly well and even got the physics pretty bang-on. The portals even have depth to them, they're not a 2D screen splashed over a surface.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Epic is having a sale right now and they're doing the $10 coupons again. Tetris Effect is on sale for $27.99 and if you use the coupon that brings it to $17.99. I was very interested in the game but not at $40. At $18 I bought it.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/tetris-effect/home

1000% worth 40 bucks and 18 is a steal.

Merijn posted:

How the hell do marketers think it's realistic to expect people using VR headsets for extended periods? I get vr face after like 20 minutes, not to mention headaches if I continue.

I used to spend 8 hours + a day in one.
Its not a big deal. Some headsets are more comfy obviously but its not uncommon to spend hours inside the headset for people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

With the current state of world affairs there's no reason to even leave the VR.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: VR face

Try adjusting your headset, and/or get a different face pad. I got a soft-touch silicone "condom"* and put that over my quest pad and I dunno, it works really well for me. Also at first I was strapping the headset on about as tight as it would go, I've relaxed it quite a bit and that's improved things for me. I can do 90 minutes or whenever my Quest overheats, whichever comes first

* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4CVSZL

Cais posted:

I’ve been playing it a ton, I finally hit the level where it keeps pairing me with 50’s so it’s a crapshoot whether I feel like I actually contribute or just try not to drag my team down. That being said, I’m getting pretty accurate with my passes.

Yeah I'm getting into playing with mostly 18/19 level players, strategies actually are talked about and happening, people generally are paying attention etc, and yeah, people actually pass

There does seem to be a big Y of players, there's the casuals, and then there's the hyper-mobile pro level type players who are just spidermanning around the court etc

I always thought 72fps was good enough but when both teams descend on the frisbee in a corner things get pretty hectic. There's some latency problems too I suspect even though we're all mostly at ~50-60ms, but humans in zero G are a bit less predictable in netcode than quake/doom tank people with heavy gravity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is my solution to VR face:

Wear it proudly :unsmith:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A Quest update with some interesting changes:

quote:

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of 5/18/20

Guardian

• Guardian can now detect objects in your Roomscale playspace during setup.
  • If an object is detected, Guardian will encourage you to remove the object from your playspace.
  • If you can’t remove the object, Guardian will make you aware of it to help you create a safer playspace.
  • When you glance down at the floor in-VR, you’ll have to option to see the floor bounds for Guardian.
  • To enable this feature, select Settings > Guardian > Glanceable Boundary

Social Reporting
  • We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Store
  • You can now search for bundles in the Oculus Store.
  • Please note that this change is an experiment that only a percentage of users will see.

Casting/Live Streaming
  • You can now toggle the red dot indicator (which indicates you’re casting, recording video, or live streaming) on or off.
  • To do this, go to Settings > Device > Video Capture Indicator.

Hand Tracking
  • Hand tracking for Oculus Quest is moving out of the Experimental Features section and into general release. Learn more about hand tracking.

Sharing
  • We’ve made it easier to share the photos and videos you capture in-VR to Facebook or Messenger. Now, right after you capture a photo or video you’ll see a large preview of your capture. You can then press the Oculus button to view sharing options.

Accessibility
  • Voice dictation is moving out of the Experimental Features section and into general release. Learn more about Voice Dictation.

• We’ve made general improvements to in-app voice commands and voice settings.
Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the view to freeze upon using the headset for the first time after a long period of inactivity.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the Virtual Environments menu to incorrectly show the “No Internet Connection” error message when selected.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the ‘Free’ button to remain on an app’s store page after previously selecting it rather than showing the download progress.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the artwork for apps to appear as blank tiles in users’ libraries.
  • Fixed the design of Guardian boundaries during the confirmation step to align with the initial animation.
Hand tracking is out of beta so presumably paid apps can start using it, but what's particularly cool is that guardian has object detection during setup now, which makes it the first VR headset with a setup routine that takes environmental obstacles into account in an automated way.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 19, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if Valve is ever going to try this method of handtracking; last I used it on Quest it was still jittery and janky, but it's a good proof of concept, I could see Valve doing a really good job with it.

Or just release some dope VR gloves.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Index controllers are dope vr gloves, op

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I theorized that those fancy cameras Valve stuck on the front of the Index were to make finger/hand tracking more precise, but instead they're for... ahhh. Uh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I theorized that those fancy cameras Valve stuck on the front of the Index were to make finger/hand tracking more precise, but instead they're for... ahhh. Uh.

DevOps, basically. The Index is a hardware reference kit as much as a retail product, and half of it is there for developers to play with in the same vein as the Vive's extra USB port.

sigher posted:

I wonder if Valve is ever going to try this method of handtracking; last I used it on Quest it was still jittery and janky, but it's a good proof of concept, I could see Valve doing a really good job with it.

Or just release some dope VR gloves.

The problem with hand-tracking as your primary input method is it has the same problem the Vive wands did; An interface that seems open but sucks in practice because it's digitally emulating analogue inputs. Sometimes you just want a thumbstick to move and buttons to press because they're much more precise and consistent inputs than waving a hand about. The Knuckle Controllers really are the best place to start from for developing anything further in that regard.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I swear in the last few months the Quest has gotten more updates, features and huge quality of life improvements than the original Rift did over its entire lifespan.

In short, this is awesome.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, so what's the deal with Vive Pro audio from those who own one? I'm leaning towards getting a second-hand one as I want an upgrade on my Vive, and :lol: at blowing money on a Cosmos. it seems like some HMD's produced have tinny audio and others don't, or it's a driver issue if you don't use the displayport as the audio path?
There are only two headsets with not-terrible audio quality, the OG Rift and the Valve Index. I haven't tried the Cosmos or Cosmos Elite, but I hear they are almost the same as the Vive Pro speakers.

In 3rd place: 3rd place doesn't even merit a mention. Rift S / Quest / Vive DAS / Vive Pro / etc are all *terrible* for various reasons. Decent Wireless game headsets or even apple earpods are vastly better than all of these.
I found the Vive DAS and Vive Pro to have terrible high frequency distortion that made it extremely shrill and ear piercing, with muddy mids and bass. They were also not very comfortable and felt kind of weird like vinyl plastic balloons resting on your ears. They also both have a default audio level of that is twice as loud as "make your eardrums explode".
The Rift S / Quest are like having low quality speakers nearby, lots of distortion that is mostly handled by clipping the frequency out completely, low quality sound reproduction. The problems are mostly masked out so as to not actively hurt you like the Vive DAS / Pro, they just don't do much.
In a distant 2nd place: The OG rift was fairly good quality, fairly low distortion with decent bass. Good overall sound reproduction, not stunning, but pretty competitive with actually putting on some kind of wireless gaming headset. It's biggest advantage is that its built in so its super convenient to put on. They feel like normal basic koss headphones to wear, with less compression as the headset bears a majority of the weight and positioning.
In 1st place: The Valve Index doesn't compete with VR headsets for audio quality, it competes with high end audiophile headsets and as such it's not fair to compare the other headsets built in audio with the Index. *Superb* clarity and no distortion, very even frequency reproduction, and good realistic bass (meaning some people will call it low bass because of how headphones are these days). Not having them touch your ears makes them perfect for comfort, because you aren't even wearing anything. To try to improve on the Index audio you are going to be spending several hundred dollars and some high end cans and an amp and having to deal with an extra wire.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They have added the ability to load up the next scene in the Quill theater app,cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

There are only two headsets with not-terrible audio quality, the OG Rift and the Valve Index. I haven't tried the Cosmos or Cosmos Elite, but I hear they are almost the same as the Vive Pro speakers.

In 1st place: The Valve Index doesn't compete with VR headsets for audio quality, it competes with high end audiophile headsets and as such it's not fair to compare the other headsets built in audio with the Index. *Superb* clarity and no distortion, very even frequency reproduction, and good realistic bass (meaning some people will call it low bass because of how headphones are these days). Not having them touch your ears makes them perfect for comfort, because you aren't even wearing anything. To try to improve on the Index audio you are going to be spending several hundred dollars and some high end cans and an amp and having to deal with an extra wire.

Not gonna lie, I'm looking at a second-hand complete Vive Pro setup on eBay right now and thinking real hard about dropping an extra $150AUD on top of that on the VR Ears kickstarter if I can swing the auction at a somewhat-sane price. :shepspends:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I might be an idiot but getting modded beat saber on quest is a bit more of a hassle than I expected?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Isometric Bacon posted:

I swear in the last few months the Quest has gotten more updates, features and huge quality of life improvements than the original Rift did over its entire lifespan.

In short, this is awesome.

The original Rift's interface was an extremely basic menu that you had to navigate with an Xbox One controller because there were no motion controls at all. It's really easy to forgot just how much of what we consider basic VR functionality wasn't there at launch, it improved a ton. The Quest's updates have been fantastic, but aside from Link they've been fairly incremental by comparison.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I really didn’t wanna link my Facebook to the quest but I wanna see those Monterey bay otters (stopped there on our California road trip)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Trip report: Virtual Desktop streaming from PC to Quest over wifi works flawlessly and is a lot better than the ALVR implementation.

I don't even have any wired networking in my house and I see no latency problems.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DevOps, basically. The Index is a hardware reference kit as much as a retail product, and half of it is there for developers to play with in the same vein as the Vive's extra USB port.

I know that's the official word but nothing of note has really come to fruition and it would be nice if Valve themselves could use the hardware to develop features for themselves. As it stands, they're pass-through cameras positioned in the wrong spot.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

rage-saq posted:

Rift S / Quest / Vive DAS / Vive Pro / etc are all *terrible* for various reasons.

The Vive Pro for some reason has two seperate audio devices appear as playback devices when you have the headset, 'HTC Vive Pro' and 'Vive Pro Mutimedia' - and no, that's not a typo.

It always seems to be a crapshoot on whether it will actually work or not, and the typo on a multi thousand dollar headset drives my ocd nuts.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

I know that's the official word but nothing of note has really come to fruition and it would be nice if Valve themselves could use the hardware to develop features for themselves. As it stands, they're pass-through cameras positioned in the wrong spot.

I can't even get the stupid cameras to show up in my passthrough. They do show up as my windows camera though lol

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I really didn’t wanna link my Facebook to the quest but I wanna see those Monterey bay otters (stopped there on our California road trip)

I jumped into the jellyfish one yesterday and the video is all relaxing with chill music and people in the crowd going buck wild. I wasn't in the mood for it so I just dipped out and played Tetris Effect.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

tak posted:

Index controllers are dope vr gloves, op

I returned mine, the finger sensors were constantly misunderstanding what I was trying to do in Alyx. For $100 I'd use them over the Vive wands I already had but not for $300.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok I might be an idiot but getting modded beat saber on quest is a bit more of a hassle than I expected?

If you have it already open to third party apps, it's pretty easy,the installer does most of the work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The... What?

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Gort posted:

Trip report: Virtual Desktop streaming from PC to Quest over wifi works flawlessly and is a lot better than the ALVR implementation.

I don't even have any wired networking in my house and I see no latency problems.

What was your setup? I'm trying to understand the process of buying VD, installing the sidequest version of it, installing desktop streamer. Why do I need the sideload version?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

tensai posted:

Why do I need the sideload version?

Because Oculus told the developer to remove the feature from the Oculus Store version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's not as complex as some of the tutorials make it seem, basically just get your Quest able to sideload stuff, put BMBF on it, bookmark stuff on Beast Saber and you can then just pull all those bookmarked songs onto the Quest through SyncSaber in BMBF.