Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Memento posted:

The other issue with that is that Al Pacino took the wrong lesson away from winning for Scent of a Woman. He didn't think "this is recognition for a lifetime of excellent, understated, intense performances", he thought "I should yell HOO AHH and chew scenery a lot more". Not saying he didn't do that before SoaW, but he sure did it a hell of a lot more afterwards.

Oh poo poo that explains a lot, I never pieced that together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got around to continuing watching Breaking Bad, currently onto season 4 (I watched the first two seasons years ago then kind of stopped caring, just figured I'd pick back up this year) and I like the triple-meaning of the title of the season 4 episode Open House - there is the obvious meaning of Marie crashing open houses with a made-up story to steal random poo poo, a real-estate metaphor due to Skyler forcing the purchase of the Car Wash to go through, and Jesse throwing his house open to all manner of lowlives to throw an endless party to distract himself as an unhealthy coping mechanism. I thought that that was clever. Although I already miss Crystallography Nerd Hank :3:

Also Skylar is basically just like Walt when it comes to things that she cares about - she's willing to break rules to satisfy her pride, and she is as much of a perfectionist in their legal and financial cover story that she weaves as he is in cooking his meth, in that it's really unnecessary to be that perfect, but they both are obsessive about their parts due to their prideful natures.

I just put together that Walter's old partner that he gives his nest egg to is Elliot Schwartz, which is German for black. White and Schwartz founded Grey Matter Industries. Neat.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

The other issue with that is that Al Pacino took the wrong lesson away from winning for Scent of a Woman. He didn't think "this is recognition for a lifetime of excellent, understated, intense performances", he thought "I should yell HOO AHH and chew scenery a lot more". Not saying he didn't do that before SoaW, but he sure did it a hell of a lot more afterwards.

I just think he enjoys chewing the scenery more. I think he just said 'gently caress it' and I can't say I blame him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I just put together that Walter's old partner that he gives his nest egg to is Elliot Schwartz, which is German for black. White and Schwartz founded Grey Matter Industries. Neat.

At some point they spell that out.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

At some point they spell that out.

I'll just gently caress off to the idiot corner then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I'll just gently caress off to the idiot corner then.

It's okay because again, page 1 of this thread has someone posting about Inceptions ending

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Ape of Naples posted:

I just think he enjoys chewing the scenery more. I think he just said 'gently caress it' and I can't say I blame him.

It’s worth it for the rear end scene in Heat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Pacino chewing scenery reaches its apogee in The Devil's Advocate. He's like an industrial scenery chewing machine in that movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Torquemada posted:

His schtick works in Heat because he's obsessed with his job as a robbery/homicide detective, on his fourth marriage, and a cokehead.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pacino chewing scenery reaches its apogee in The Devil's Advocate. He's like an industrial scenery chewing machine in that movie.

And the film is so much the better for it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

His schtick works in Heat because he's obsessed with his job as a robbery/homicide detective, on his fourth marriage, and a cokehead.

Yeah. OP made it seem like it's a bad thing, but his bombastic outbursts in Heat are half of what makes that movie so great.

"Gimme all ya got!!"

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Eh, I thought his performance in Heat was awful. Each scene, even down to the line, he seemed to be trying out a different character.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

lord funk posted:

Eh, I thought his performance in Heat was awful. Each scene, even down to the line, he seemed to be trying out a different character.

Did you fall in love last night? Just tell me that, I'll buy that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

He’s on the downslope of a marriage, his third, because he spends all his time chasing guys like Macauley around the block.

lord funk posted:

Hanna was explicitly a coke addict in the shooting script, but they removed all reference to it afterwards, which is one of the reasons he’s all over the place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pacino definitely started doing the big over the top Pacino persona pretty often after Scent of a Woman but looking at his filmography is weird. It definitely seems to be a conscious switch that he would flip because you have periods of time like 1997-1999 where all in a row he does Donnie Brasco(pretty quiet and understated), The Devil's Advocate(the most Pacino has ever Pacinoed), The Insider(another more reserved performance), Any Given Sunday(back to crazy Pacino), and Insomnia(another quiet one).

So it almost feels like he was swapping back and forth and trying to do a bit of both. It's crazy how his career fell off a cliff though. He does The Recruit in 2003 and he's one of the main leads alongside Colin Farrell. You could argue he doesn't have another significant role after that until recently with The Irishman. He was a minor character in Oceans 13 but that's about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How quickly we forget Gigli and Jack & Jill.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pacino is a little hammy in his brief part in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood but I figured it was to play into a Hollywood producer archtype.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Pacino is a little hammy in his brief part in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood but I figured it was to play into a Hollywood producer archtype.

Ugh, he took me right out of the movie in that scene. Even Kurt Russell blended in better, but when he showed up, it was like "okay, time to watch Al Pacino ham it up for a few minutes!"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What does it mean to chew the scenery?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It means this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73swRzxs8Y

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

It means you're so over the top and ridiculous that you overwhelm everything else in the scene. The set, the costumes, the lighting, the cinematography, none of it matters because it all gets sucked into the black hole that is your performance.

In low budget stuff it's often a good thing, because those other elements probably weren't that good anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can be positive or negative.

For example when it's said about Nicholas Cage, yes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Said to have originated with a shakespearean actor who overacted so hard he actually bit into the set dressing and left teeth marks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want some good recent-ish subdued Pacino, I wholeheartedly recommend 2015's Danny Collins. I went into it extremely prejudiced and ready for it to be terrible beyond belief but it's actually a very sweet little movie that avoids cliches and has some good acting. Perfect for a hungover afternoon or an evening with older parents.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

freeedr posted:

Please refer to this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1XCUo_Uu8M

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

I always like that his mouth starts to say "BIG", but he corrects himself to "GREAT rear end!"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

OK

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hot Fuzz is a treasure. I kind of wish I never watched one of those YouTube videos on all the hidden stuff because up until then I'd find something new every time I watched it.

I haven't really watched The World's End much. Maybe that has a bunch of little things too.

The problem with World's End is that at the start of Shaun of the Dead the main character's 'bar plan' ends up summarising the plot of the movie, and there were a bunch of clickbait articles and forum posts about it.

So World's End does the same thing but calls even more attention to it and makes it very obvious, which actually makes it much less funny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bewilderment posted:

The problem with World's End is that at the start of Shaun of the Dead the main character's 'bar plan' ends up summarising the plot of the movie, and there were a bunch of clickbait articles and forum posts about it.

So World's End does the same thing but calls even more attention to it and makes it very obvious, which actually makes it much less funny.

That doesn't mean The World's End lacks little things, they're just in different places. Gary King is also probably the best developed character in any of the three movies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing about World's End is that while it's got a lot of funny moments it's not actually a comedy in the sense that Shaun and Hot Fuzz were "zombie movie but comedy" and "police movie but comedy", and becomes less and less so the older it gets (and also the older you get watching it). And in particular Gary's speech at the end about how humans will always want to be stupid and irresponsible and have fun that directly drops humanity into a postapocalyptic dark age has taken on a decidedly sobering tone here in May 2020.

=====

I'm finally watching Too Old To Die Young and it extremely fits my sense of humour that in episode 5 Nicolas Winding Refn deliberately sabotages the kind of car chase scene the audience expect from Nicolas Winding Refn by having two characters silently fight over the radio, switching between a moody retro 80s tune and Barry Manilow's Mandy, and then making the chase scene extra moody and avant garde after they've settled on Mandy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Hot Fuzz does it too, all the questions Danny asks Angel are what he ends up doing in the final gunfight.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bewilderment posted:

narp

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

bewilderment posted:

There were forum posts, but clickbait culture wasn't really a thing in 2004.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MichiganCubbie posted:

There were forum posts, but clickbait culture wasn't really a thing in 2004.

I think they were saying that the worlds end bar plan had a bunch of clickbait articles and forums posts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just finished Breaking Bad and El Camino and I'm now onto episode 4 of Better Call Saul.

Franchise-wide thoughts so spoilers for every part of it:

I like that Walt, Jesse and Saul/Jimmy have parallel character arcs related to the criminal world - Saul starts off just like Jesse, a useless pothead who pulls dumb scams for a quick buck and constantly gets in legal trouble, his family growing increasingly sick of his poo poo. However, Saul and Jesse both grow smarter but in different directions. Saul learns how to abuse the legal system to get what he wants out of it, while Jesse grows more aware of who he actually is, initially taking being a useless idiot in stride and resisting any attempts to change but admitting over the course of the series to himself that he is a good person who made dumb decisions and by the end is doing anything he can to get out of the terrible life he's got trapped in. And both characters grow increasingly concerned and afraid of just how off-the-rails Walter is getting to the point where their lives have completely fallen apart due to him and they have severed from him completely, finally finding a sense of stability after being erased - Saul resents his new life though, missing being someone while stuck managing a cinnabon, and Jesse revels in it as he rides into the alaskan sunset.
And all the while Jesse is getting better and Saul is growing out of Walt, Walt is only getting worse.

Also there is a neat parallel between Walter/Heisenberg's arc and the Strange Case of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Both are mild mannered chemists who grow frustrated with aspects of their lives and create a signature concoction that is intended initially to get them some kind of security but only ends up creating a monstrous alter ego, by the end of both stories, there is no Jeckyll or Walter anymore, as both have been completely subsumed by Heisenberg and Hyde, eventually leading to their self-inflicted demises.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hydesenberg.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dr jekyll and mr hyde is definitely one of those perennial masterpieces that will always be relevant, along with frankenstein and a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

scary ghost dog posted:

a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court

The first isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

scary ghost dog posted:

dr jekyll and mr hyde is definitely one of those perennial masterpieces that will always be relevant, along with frankenstein and Weekend at Bernies II

FTFY