Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

Yep. Mine was bok Choi. But I can understand people not liking the fermented tang.

Kimchi doesn't even really need to be that fermented. I love eating kimchi I made the same day or the next day cuz it's salty and crunchy and spicy but not funky yet.

I've been doing stuffed cucumber kimchi a lot lately and that's a good starter kimchi imo. It doesn't ferment super long and it's nice and crunchy and fresh.

VelociBacon posted:

I keep trying kimchi like at least every 2 weeks and I don't like it yet. Kills me hearing about everyone else loving it.

Are you eating it with/on anything or just shoving pieces in your face? If the latter, try it mixed with foods like in ssam or bibimbap or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Kimchi doesn't even really need to be that fermented. I love eating kimchi I made the same day or the next day cuz it's salty and crunchy and spicy but not funky yet.

I've been doing stuffed cucumber kimchi a lot lately and that's a good starter kimchi imo. It doesn't ferment super long and it's nice and crunchy and fresh.

Are you eating it with/on anything or just shoving pieces in your face? If the latter, try it mixed with foods like in ssam or bibimbap or something.

Mmm, kimchi pancake rules.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What's funny though is that there's plenty of white ethnic subgroups in America (think Boston Irish, Germans in Wisconsin, Scots-Irish from Appalachia to the Midwest, for instance) who have long traditions of "cruciferous vegetables boiled until really soft, usually with smoked pork in the mix", be it cabbage, red cabbage, kale, etc. So basically this is just stupid American racism when you find people who "don't like" "collard greens."

I cook them the exact same, particularly the flat kale that my CSA (no longer -- they managed to set it up despite COVID, but it's three times as far, on a different day, and 20% more (any two would be OK but all three made it a no-sell in the household)) gave us. Either stewed with a salted pork product or cut nearly chiffonade-thin and stir-fried. Collards are barely tougher and barely more sulfurous, and cost 1/4 as much because racism.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As much as I enjoy kale, I have to admit that Andy Dick had a funny line about it:

"Kale is like spinach... expect hairier and more bitter."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what korean moms do to get kids used to kimchi is:
1. dunk it in water a bit OR
2. nabak kimchi / dongchimi

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Test Pattern posted:

I cook them the exact same, particularly the flat kale that my CSA (no longer -- they managed to set it up despite COVID, but it's three times as far, on a different day, and 20% more (any two would be OK but all three made it a no-sell in the household)) gave us. Either stewed with a salted pork product or cut nearly chiffonade-thin and stir-fried. Collards are barely tougher and barely more sulfurous, and cost 1/4 as much because racism.

Roasted salted kale to make kale chips is where it’s at.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Some people just don't dig on cabbage. me, I love it, I'll eat any preparation of cabbage from any place in the world.

Also, Kimchi can also be a little overwhelming for some people because all of the flavors are turned up to 11 at once

I have nothing against cabbage (or bok choy), it's the flavor of the fermentation I guess. I'll get there!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I did it
I fell victim to the classic blunder.

I had just de-seeded almost a pound of jalapeños and went to bathroom and did not wash my hands first.

We had been hiking earlier today and it's hot and humid so it was kind of swampy already.

As I was screaming in pain and running to the bathroom, my wife was dying laughing. I made sure to ask her if this could be called a spicy meatball before jumping directly into an ice cold bath. I'm still waiting here 15 minutes later, afraid to stand up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I did it

I had just de-seeded almost a pound of jalapeños and went to bathroom and did not wash my hands first.

We had been hiking earlier today and it's hot and humid so it was kind of swampy already.

As I was screaming in pain and running to the bathroom, my wife was dying laughing. I made sure to ask her if this could be called a spicy meatball before jumping directly into an ice cold bath. I'm still waiting here 15 minutes later, afraid to stand up

:cawg:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I did it

Dairy is meant to help with heat. Slather your privates with yoghurt.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

therattle posted:

15 minutes of soaking in cold water did the trick lol

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

15 minutes of soaking in cold water did the trick lol

Only because the nerves went numb. I can still recommend the yogurt.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Since I'm WFH, I'm showering around lunch, after my morning snack. Friday I decided to upgrade my usual pistachios to hot chili pistachios, didn't think about it, and decided to change out my contacts before my shower

Still would prefer fire eyes to napalm crotch

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to be specific but unless we have hugely different ways of peeing I don't see how touching peppers and then touching the skin on your dick makes your dick hurt any more than if you touched your arm with pepper fingers? Is everyone but me holding themselves by the tip when they piss? Thanks thread.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Only because the nerves went numb. I can still recommend the yogurt.

Hell, who needs to burn first. Yogurt junk for all!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry to be specific but unless we have hugely different ways of peeing I don't see how touching peppers and then touching the skin on your dick makes your dick hurt any more than if you touched your arm with pepper fingers? Is everyone but me holding themselves by the tip when they piss? Thanks thread.

...my genitals are pretty sensitive all over, so perhaps your armadillo junk just protects you

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

VelociBacon posted:

I want you to repeat your experiment, but this time I want you to manually de-seed a couple of pounds of habaneros or similar before relieving yourself.

Video or it didn't happen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therattle posted:

Joking aside isn't this usually because most dairy we eat has fat in it and capsaicin will dissolve into fat? Thus really, the answer to just loving wash

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Joking aside isn't this usually because most dairy we eat has fat in it and capsaicin will dissolve into fat? Thus really, the answer to just loving wash

yeah

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You really can't underestimate those tangy probiotic cultures on your veg region tho

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

You really can't underestimate those tangy probiotic cultures on your veg region tho

This. I just want everyone to slather their privates in yoghurt. Is that really too much to ask

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Theoretically you could use them to prevent BO by establishing new cultures if you used a daily dip. Gotta be sure to wipe off the extra milk unless you’re really into dick cheese though, I guess

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

This. I just want everyone to slather their privates in yoghurt. Is that really too much to ask

Fruit on the bottom?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

In my world, no. Not in the least. Could even be a theme party. (fancy dress, to you Brits)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Speaking of substandard white goo, why does 2% cottage cheese taste so much worse then 4%? 4 is glorious on its own but hard to find sometimes. 2 percent is just blah. At least I can cook with it, maybe make a ziti.

The Fiancè and I are doing calorie counting for a month to knock off the quarantine pounds. Fortunately, lots of veggies are coming into season. It's way easier to affordably eat fresh in spring and summer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 19, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Speaking of substandard white goo, why does 2% cottage cheese taste so much worse then 4%? 4 is glorious on its own but hard to find sometimes. 2 percent is just blah. At least I can cook with it, maybe make a ziti.

The Fiancè and I are doing calorie counting for a month to knock off the quarantine pounds. Fortunately, lots of veggies are coming into season. It's way easier to affordably eat fresh in spring and summer.

Because fat is DELICIOUS.

That said, I quite like this 2% blended cottage cheese I've been buying. It's the texture of an even thicker yogurt, but better flavour.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mediaphage posted:

Because fat is DELICIOUS.

That said, I quite like this 2% blended cottage cheese I've been buying. It's the texture of an even thicker yogurt, but better flavour.

Boy are you gonna lose your poo poo when you start eating lebneh by the spoon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Haha i'm familiar with it; it's just something I save as a treat (vs eating by the bowlful).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I loving love lebneh, danger zone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, but you would think that 2% would only be like, 2% less good, as opposed to much much less good.

I had a cup of cottage and an apple for breakfast. Definitely worth the extra hundred calories to have something delicious.

Little miss buffet
Box squatting a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
Who sat down beside her
And spotted her new max bench weight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, but you would think that 2% would only be like, 2% less good, as opposed to much much less good.

I had a cup of cottage and an apple for breakfast. Definitely worth the extra hundred calories to have something delicious.

Little miss buffet
Box squatting a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
Who sat down beside her
And spotted her new max bench weight

Ah but it’s a full 50% less good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

re: 2% vs 4% cottage cheese and the like, I drink skim milk and don't add sugar to my coffee so that I can eat decent sized portions of unhealthy food sometimes and not feel like I'm going to die because of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

re: 2% vs 4% cottage cheese and the like, I drink skim milk and don't add sugar to my coffee so that I can eat decent sized portions of unhealthy food sometimes and not feel like I'm going to die because of it.

Okay?

That’s on you, though, skim milk is unpleasant imo. Honestly why drink milk at all at that point and just eat more of something else.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I like skim milk, semi feels too rich and full fat is just sickly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I drink coffee without sugar because I like the taste, I don't eat any cottage cheese because it's actually terrible and I have semi-skimmed milk in my tea because skimmed milk is just grey water.

Eating horrible subsititutes for things you like just extends the amount of time you get to live a joyless life, and low fat cottage cheese won't stop a bus hitting you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I like skim milk, semi feels too rich and full fat is just sickly.

You misspelled delicious. But really, I don’t like drinking milk at all. The closest I come is occasionally adding a little to coffee.

Scientastic posted:

I drink coffee without sugar because I like the taste, I don't eat any cottage cheese because it's actually terrible and I have semi-skimmed milk in my tea because skimmed milk is just grey water.

Eating horrible subsititutes for things you like just extends the amount of time you get to live a joyless life, and low fat cottage cheese won't stop a bus hitting you.

I enjoy cottage cheese sometimes, but I grew up with it. I never buy it, save for a blended style that is basically a 2% skyr that’s cultured with sour cream bacteria instead of yogurt. I still keep a tub of 10% Greek in the fridge though. Yum.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 20, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't drink milk, but I keep some on hand for cooking and baking, so it's always full fat. Maybe a small glass of chocolate milk on rare occasion.
2% is fine but the blue water that calls itself skim makes me want to puke. I don't know how anyone gets it down.

I love cottage cheese, though! Makes a great high-protein snack, and I like to make the Ethiopian collards with it. I do NOT like it sweetened with fruit or sugar though, I always eat it plain or savory/spicy.

The problem with cottage cheese is that you can't just make it with low-fat milk; once they hit 2%, they have to start adding a ton of gums and stabilizers and all kinds of crap.

EDIT: oh, and the full-fat version makes for a surprisingly good ricotta substitute in lasagne.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you guys do cottage cheese and chives? You should totally try cottage cheese and chives if you don’t.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I get full cream raw milk from the dairy in 5 gallon buckets the day it’s milked. But you know I need it to make cheese with.

I also drink it in my coffee and my wife like to make it into ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I drank skim as a child and don't drink milk now but buy whole for cooking.

Ita just like getting used to diet soda or beer when you're young.

/e I'pasteurized? Yes but not sure, does making ice cream in effect pasturize?