Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing this on normal and just can't be arsed to play the last 3-4 hours to finish the third campaign. Been checking for patches and... Yep it's firaxis. No patches yet, despite egregious loving bugs.

redreader fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tom Tucker posted:

My first playthrough I did sacred coil first like many people and I'm pretty sure they compress ALL the enemies and plot elements into the room with massive reinforcements as encounter 3 and it just rocked my world after I'd cruised through.

They do indeed, everything is in that room. It's the only level in the whole game where I ever had to reload it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
You guys might have seen this already, but I greatly enjoyed this interaction in CS:

I am working through what I believe to be the final level, and I accidentally have Torque tongue the wrong thing. I hit Patchwork instead of the enemy. Right afterwards, Patchwork excitedly said "I wanna go again!".

I really like the humor and charm of this game. It's not something I recall seeing in previous XCOMs but I did not play those very much because I am bad at video games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, there's a lot of very situational lines like that and they are all great. Torque commenting on how people taste is always a chuckle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the last encounter of the last level, Terminal has a quip that Sovereign's rant about trying to purge weakness out of fear of the Elders coming back rates 7/10 on the insane-o-meter but Patchwork just straight up says that he's exactly what XCOM just got done killing and she's having none of it coming back now. She also wants to switch names with Terminal because she feels bad about the unintended implications of both of them. Also she managed to blow up forty gremlins, somehow. Patchwork rules.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Patchwork also gets super excited at getting two gremlin buddies after a terminal heal sometimes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
One of my favorite bits of dialogue is this conversation between Cherub and Blueblood back at headquarters:

:buddy: Hey Blueblood, I need to test an adjustment to my shield. Could you help me out?
:cop: Sure man, what do you need me to do?
:buddy: I need you to shoot me.
:cop: ... No. No, man, I'm not going to shoot you.
:buddy: But it's the only way to see if my shield will work under real combat conditions!
:cop: No, it isn't. We have ballistic training dummies for literally this exact reason.
:buddy: Wait, really?
:cop: Yeah. C'mon man, I'll help you get one set up.
:buddy: Wow, thanks Blueblood! I don't know what I'd do without you!
:cop: Probably get shot in the face.

:allears:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah everyone was trying to dunk on the writing and voice acting of this game and I love it.

Terminal trying to convince Pathwork to have a Gremlin battle is great. Toque is great. Everyone is great. Even Shelter, who I thought was the worst (and may be the worst character) has some great battle lines. The way he delivers his "Castling!" line when swapping is fantastic. Blueblood offering to "talk" to Terminal, Verge asking to do a full Jack / Liz "let me watch you eat this steak" with Cherub and him being totally on board, and everyone constantly dunking on Whisper is great. Hiring some people can be fun just to hear their intro talk with Whisper.

Terminal and Patchwork for life though. When you use her shock attack sometimes Terminal goes "Hahaha! Zap!" in the most delightful way.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Fought my first gatekeeper during a Lost mission... Wow, was that tedious. He revived about 20 dead Lost under mind control. Instead of moving collectively, all at once, like the Lost do, each psi-zombie took their individual turns. Made the Alien turn take like 10 minutes each before I could kill the gatekeeper.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
One of the sweeter base banters is between Torque and Jane Kelly. Torque talks to Jane like Jane is her adoptive mom trying to explain why she is having trouble fitting in with the kids. It’s pretty cute.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Any word on when they might be patching this game? I really want to play again but I would like to do it without the bugs, manly the one where your teams equipment disappears and the reinforcement crash

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah everyone was trying to dunk on the writing and voice acting of this game and I love it.

Terminal trying to convince Pathwork to have a Gremlin battle is great. Toque is great. Everyone is great. Even Shelter, who I thought was the worst (and may be the worst character) has some great battle lines. The way he delivers his "Castling!" line when swapping is fantastic. Blueblood offering to "talk" to Terminal, Verge asking to do a full Jack / Liz "let me watch you eat this steak" with Cherub and him being totally on board, and everyone constantly dunking on Whisper is great. Hiring some people can be fun just to hear their intro talk with Whisper.

Terminal and Patchwork for life though. When you use her shock attack sometimes Terminal goes "Hahaha! Zap!" in the most delightful way.

It's got the problem where you hear the barks way too often, and I dunno, I wish they'd done a little processing on some of the voices (Axiom is borderline, Torque sounds just a little too much like somebody who works at the bank. You don't have to go 100% "I'm a ssssssnake lady!" but I could stand a little something). But the character dynamics are solid and there's lots of great character/overbuilding in the back-and-forth.

I still don't want premade characters for the next XCOM but I'd happily play another spinoff like this if they keep the same writing and art team. Or just have an even bigger support staff for XCOM 3's HQ.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Neal! posted:

Any word on when they might be patching this game? I really want to play again but I would like to do it without the bugs, manly the one where your teams equipment disappears and the reinforcement crash

Yeah, I think I'm gonna be taking a break until the patches hit, too. My agents are currently trapped because they need to destroy a server to advance, but the server didn't spawn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rochallor posted:

(Axiom is borderline, Torque sounds just a little too much like somebody who works at the bank. You don't have to go 100% "I'm a ssssssnake lady!" but I could stand a little something).

Apparently, Torque's VA wasn't even told she was a snake and she didn't find out until the game was released.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which owns, imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I liked the conversation Torque had with... Verge I think? Which went something like this:

Torque: I'm surprised they even let aliens like you into XCOM.
Verge: But.. aren't you an alien too?
Torque. Hell no, I was hatched in New Arctic. I'm 100% Earthling, you xeno scum.

Well, maybe not at all like that in the particulars but that was the gist of it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I liked the conversation Torque had with... Verge I think? Which went something like this:

Torque: I'm surprised they even let aliens like you into XCOM.
Verge: But.. aren't you an alien too?
Torque. Hell no, I was hatched in New Arctic. I'm 100% Earthling, you xeno scum.

Well, maybe not at all like that in the particulars but that was the gist of it.
It added a great stinger (haha because she is a snake) when Verge goes, in response to her being an "earthling..."

Verge: Do all Earthlings have fangs?
Torque: The lucky ones do!

I've been playing this game and saving before each reinforcement is due to come in since it crashes 50% of the time, and backing up my saves too just in case. I love the dialogue too, even if the delivery of the ayys isn't as "offworlder" as Verge's inflection. The Torque conversation with Jane Kelly had Kelly admit she was much like Torque, and when Torque asks how Kelly dealt with it, she says she had someone she could confide in and be listened to. Torque then asks when Kelly will start wearing sweaters. :haw:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

I've been playing this game and saving before each reinforcement is due to come in since it crashes 50% of the time, and backing up my saves too just in case.

Jesus, did a patch break the game or something? The only time that the game crashed on reinforcements for me was when I had Torque poison spit the entrance.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Rochallor posted:

I still don't want premade characters for the next XCOM but I'd happily play another spinoff like this if they keep the same writing and art team. Or just have an even bigger support staff for XCOM 3's HQ.

We could go full 'poker night at the inventory' and just have characters from a setting doing completely unrelated liesure activities as a break from their real game.
You know, for the constant poo poo talk.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 18, 2020

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So what's the right way to play Terror from the Deep these days? Are there any must have mods and modernizing versions? I definitely want a fix for the difficuly levels being broken (I am a scrub), and is there anything that fixes ship missions so they aren't the worst thing ever? I'm not necessarily married to the idea of a vanilla playthrough so if there are mods that add a bunch of poo poo that's cool too. I did try googling but it seems there is a lot less for tftd than the original.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Rochallor posted:

It's got the problem where you hear the barks way too often, and I dunno, I wish they'd done a little processing on some of the voices (Axiom is borderline, Torque sounds just a little too much like somebody who works at the bank. You don't have to go 100% "I'm a ssssssnake lady!" but I could stand a little something). But the character dynamics are solid and there's lots of great character/overbuilding in the back-and-forth.

No definitely not - it's not X-COM without randomized soldiers you fall in love with. This worked well for this very limited in scope game, but I wouldn't want pre-made soldiers in the next X-COM. For this it was a nice change of pace, just like the entire game, from the X-COM formula, but it really wasn't X-COM, which is fine I wasn't expecting it to be. It's an X-COM-inspired breach tactical simulator with fun characters which is just what I didn't know I needed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nephthys posted:

Jesus, did a patch break the game or something? The only time that the game crashed on reinforcements for me was when I had Torque poison spit the entrance.

I had to revalidate 50 or so files earlier because of this happening to me, try doing that. I think something gets a little broken in the background.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought it was interesting how this game basically came out of nowhere and initially only ten bucks? Madness!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I thought it was interesting how this game basically came out of nowhere and initially only ten bucks? Madness!

Yeah on a cost : enjoyment ratio it's pretty nuts, on the level of FTL or Into the Breach, or the Witcher 3 and two expansions I got for like 10 bucks during some sale but that shouldn't count.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I just picked up Troubleshooter, which looks really really similar to XCom:CS. Anyone tried it? Thoughts?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I just picked up Troubleshooter, which looks really really similar to XCom:CS. Anyone tried it? Thoughts?

It's not at all like XCom, and the story is very weird and goes nowhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Clarste posted:

Apparently, Torque's VA wasn't even told she was a snake and she didn't find out until the game was released.

Which raises the question of what she thought the commenting on how other teammates taste was about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Which raises the question of what she thought the commenting on how other teammates taste was about.

Presumably she managed to figure out that she was a maneating alien from context, just not a snake I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Best Friends posted:

I did the same thing and I've become pretty addicted to it. It really hits my need to optimize button with the mastery mechanics and juggling loot. If you do get into it I recommend looking up the mastery set guide on steamcommunity as planning out a build is really engrossing. Lonely Hero Irene build is best build fite me. The combat is great imo, and if you liked juggling turn order in CS you'll like the action time mechanics here.

The game has some minor translation issues and it has a story structure that may not click for you as you're introduced to a lot of characters who have stories going on that won't get elaborated on for a while. I kind of like it though! You're a newcomer running into all these way higher level characters who have their own poo poo going on and either help or hinder you at their whim. The story gets stronger the more you go though and imo ends up as a pretty compelling one about gang warfare and trying to do the right thing even in lovely, lovely situations. The characters have more personality than they seem to at first too. The main character only seems like a bland anime boy, he's actually way more practical and calculating than he lets on.

Plus the MCs name is Albus Bernstein and the villains worship spoons. That kind of straightfaced goofiness is my jam and it doesn't really undercut the story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I did the same thing and I've become pretty addicted to it. It really hits my need to optimize button with the mastery mechanics and juggling loot. If you do get into it I recommend looking up the mastery set guide on steamcommunity as planning out a build is really engrossing. Lonely Hero Irene build is best build fite me. The combat is great imo, and if you liked juggling turn order in CS you'll like the action time mechanics here.

The game has some minor translation issues and it has a story structure that may not click for you as you're introduced to a lot of characters who have stories going on that won't get elaborated on for a while. I kind of like it though! You're a newcomer running into all these way higher level characters who have their own poo poo going on and either help or hinder you at their whim. The story gets stronger the more you go though and imo ends up as a pretty compelling one about gang warfare and trying to do the right thing even in lovely, lovely situations. The characters have more personality than they seem to at first too. The main character only seems like a bland anime boy, he's actually way more practical and calculating than he lets on.

Plus the MCs name is Albus Bernstein and the villains worship spoons. That kind of straightfaced goofiness is my jam and it doesn't really undercut the story.

For what it's worth, I say the story goes nowhere because it feels like they realized that they'd be in Early Access forever if they waited until the story got somewhere so they just rushed out an ending that doesn't resolve any of the main characters' arcs and called it Season 1. In some ways it feels like the entire game is a prologue to the real story that doesn't exist yet?

Also, I used the Lone Hero Irene build for most of the game (after she ended up soloing a mission by accident), but right at the end when they start introducing a billion snipers with Fire Support and melee enemies with anti-counter I decided she needed a more flexible build that wouldn't just run off and die by herself constantly.

Also don't mock the Spoon of the Heart. Those scenes cut deep, man.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 19, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, I say the story goes nowhere because it feels like they realized that they'd be in Early Access forever if they waited until the story got somewhere so they just rushed out an ending that doesn't resolve any of the main characters' arcs and called it Season 1. In some ways it feels like the entire game is a prologue to the real story that doesn't exist yet?

Also, I used the Lone Hero Irene build for most of the game (after she ended up soloing a mission by accident), but right at the end when they start introducing a billion snipers with Fire Support and melee enemies with anti-counter I decided she needed a more flexible build that wouldn't just run off and die by herself constantly.

Also don't mock the Spoon of the Heart. Those scenes cut deep, man.

Yeah I kind of figured that's how the story would go. At least that means there will be more content coming so that's something to look forward to even if I'll have to wait for it. Thats just how it is with early access I guess.

I've had a few times when she's gotten stunned and chipped down or I've run into those annoying enemies that mess up your AT constantly and don't die easily. But the build is just so strong and fun that I can't help it. I'll use it until the game forces me not to!

I would never! After all those who have shared the same spoon shall share the same roof.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unfinished stories in Asian rpgs are par for the course nowadays

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’m using the maps mod for xcom 2 (can’t remember the name) and they are great but oh god it really fucks up the chosen even more,and it’s really glitchy with enemies shooting you through walls.
The hunter chosen just grapples really short distances and marks you through walls (is that last bit a glitch or intended?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clarste posted:

So they finally added her so your team can recruit her? When I was playing it mostly felt like I was grinding the same missions over and over again for very little gain and getting nowhere and she was clearly the next 'name' I was supposed to be recruiting but I got frustrated before that happened.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’m using the maps mod for xcom 2 (can’t remember the name) and they are great but oh god it really fucks up the chosen even more,and it’s really glitchy with enemies shooting you through walls.
The hunter chosen just grapples really short distances and marks you through walls (is that last bit a glitch or intended?)

That's pretty much all the hunter did against me in unmodded WoTC, for what it's worth. He was by far the most ineffectual chosen, except for the one time he remembered he had a normal gun and did 7 damage + bleeding in one non-crit when I was still in predator armor. Or when I happened to have 6 mindshields on a warlock mission.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

So they finally added her so your team can recruit her? When I was playing it mostly felt like I was grinding the same missions over and over again for very little gain and getting nowhere and she was clearly the next 'name' I was supposed to be recruiting but I got frustrated before that happened.

There are about 8 party members I know about so far. The game has a lot of content, I'm up to 70ish hours.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
9 party members, not including a pet and 2 robots which can be summoned.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gamasutra Q&A

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah you have to accept the occasional bit of jank with custom maps, but it's usually worth it for the novelty of playing in unusual surroundings.

A few days back I ended up with that templars 'save the scientist and his knocked out guard in the lost city' mission. But instead of the standard lost city, it was in a dark and spooky version of that map in the middle of the Shen's Last Gift DLC, with the middle room you end up in hiding from gas. It was tight and had a lot of vision blockers, so I'd get fast lost popping around corners and charging at me. But on the other hand, the hunter decided to spawn in, but apparently couldn't find a good place to do it so he showed up right next to my team. Overwatch knocked off half his health bar before he was even able to take a step, and he was an easy kill on the next turn.

In conclusion, custom maps are a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah you have to accept the occasional bit of jank with custom maps, but it's usually worth it for the novelty of playing in unusual surroundings.

A few days back I ended up with that templars 'save the scientist and his knocked out guard in the lost city' mission. But instead of the standard lost city, it was in a dark and spooky version of that map in the middle of the Shen's Last Gift DLC, with the middle room you end up in hiding from gas. It was tight and had a lot of vision blockers, so I'd get fast lost popping around corners and charging at me. But on the other hand, the hunter decided to spawn in, but apparently couldn't find a good place to do it so he showed up right next to my team. Overwatch knocked off half his health bar before he was even able to take a step, and he was an easy kill on the next turn.

In conclusion, custom maps are a land of contrasts

Which map pack was that from? I'd like to try out some new lost city maps.