Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

This guy? Looks like he's pretty much one of those rich fellers who get a swanky title for very occasionally turning up to the House of Lords. I do not trust. e: my bad, it's this guy, he's a tank-thinker who's never done anything much of note except for organising the 2001 GE campaign, so I'm guessing he's a full-blooded Blairite yes-man?

e: in 1993, Blair helped put an end to the Trade Union block vote for Parliamentary candidature selection

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Soon we will be back at the point where UK Labour are as poo poo as Irish Labour, and probably a similar vote percentage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Borrovan posted:

This guy? Looks like he's pretty much one of those rich fellers who get a swanky title for very occasionally turning up to the House of Lords. I do not trust.

e: in 1993, Blair helped put an end to the Trade Union block vote for Parliamentary candidature selection

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1261245782004506626?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Read comments 2 die instantly

E: vvvvvv :rip:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 19, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

Read comments 2 die instantly
Didn't work, don't get our hopes up

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it's odd that one side goes "we know what Starmer is doing" when the other goes "They are trying to pressure him". I am hoping, personally, that the Newspaper announcing thing is an attempt by the RW to make things a fait accompli with Starmer.

However, I do not know that. Alongside that, who actually votes for the General Secretary?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The NEC, as far as I'm aware.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Soon we will be back at the point where UK Labour are as poo poo as Irish Labour, and probably a similar vote percentage
I'm voting for Sinn Féin if that happens.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Josef bugman posted:

However, I do not know that. Alongside that, who actually votes for the General Secretary?
NEC, I think - which I thought the left still had bare control of, but given that they approved the cover up committee for the leaked stitch-up, the calculus might have changed

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I suppose that we will have to wait and see then.

If anyone has anything helpful needing doing from a computer as well, that might be useful!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
55000 excess deaths up to the 8th of may? gently caress it open her up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
As it's getting to the time of year where the subject comes up, Screwfix are currently doing a 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner for 300 quid. Someone will be along soon to say how one-box aircon is the work of the devil but ignore them, they're in the pocket of Big Window Unit.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As it's getting to the time of year where the subject comes up, Screwfix are currently doing a 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner for 300 quid. Someone will be along soon to say how one-box aircon is the work of the devil but ignore them, they're in the pocket of Big Window Unit.
It says it contains an ice box, is this one of those units that just blows air across a tray of ice?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Just been told the heartwarming story of a man, his stay at home wife and four month twin daughters.

Man loses his job, as he hasn't been with the company long enough to be furloughed, and is unable to pay rent. a few days ago he gets a knock at the door, and three heavies are there telling him he's got to be out by the end of the day.
The man asks for half an hour to get his daughters to their grandparents.
He returns to find the heavies have dumped all his stuff on the front lawn and are changing the locks.
(yes, this is all illegal, but the time it will take with the courts means it won't help him now.)

Thankfully, it seems the local premier inn/travel lodges are doing bed and board for people made homeless during this, so he at least has a roof over his and his young daughters heads.

TL:DR.
Landlords are scum. This is not the first time I've heard of heavies being sent to evict people despite the governments order.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

It says it contains an ice box, is this one of those units that just blows air across a tray of ice?

Nah it's a proper air conditioner, I think they've just copied the spec over from a fridge or something (it comes with a vent hose kit which *isn't* on the list, for example).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

It says it's CFC-free. That's also true of ice but it's a rating you normally see on things with compressors. If it's using 1400 W just to blow air over ice then that's a level beyond bad though, so it must have a compressor.

No idea on the ice boxes though, unless it comes with boxes you can put inside to keep things cool, but that would be weird. (e: ^^ or that)

Grey Hunter posted:

Landlords are scum. This is not the first time I've heard of heavies being sent to evict people despite the governments order.
Is there anyone documenting all this for later when the courts aren't full? (Or just to publicly name them.) Not that it helps the tenants, but it might be a brick to use against the landlords.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Just been told the heartwarming story of a man, his stay at home wife and four month twin daughters.

Man loses his job, as he hasn't been with the company long enough to be furloughed, and is unable to pay rent. a few days ago he gets a knock at the door, and three heavies are there telling him he's got to be out by the end of the day.
He returns to find the heavies have dumped all his stuff on the front lawn and are changing the locks.
(yes, this is all illegal, but the time it will take with the courts means it won't help him now.)

Thankfully, it seems the local premier inn/travel lodges are doing bed and board for people made homeless during this, so he at least has a roof over his and his young daughters heads.

Landlords should be put down. People like this as scum.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

No idea on the ice boxes though, unless it comes with boxes you can put inside to keep things cool, but that would be weird. (e: ^^ or that)

Hey, if steam engines can have hot water taps for making tea, an air conditioner can have an ice maker!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

Is there anyone documenting all this for later when the courts aren't full? (Or just to publicly name them.) Not that it helps the tenants, but it might be a brick to use against the landlords.

No Idea, This is a conversation in the tea room at work, so I don't know anyone involved or even names. Just an old army buddy of someone from our maintenance department.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Rumours circulating around my work that most of us won't be going back into the office at all this year and will be WFH for the rest of it. Makes sense honestly and it's not like I'm unhappy with that news!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your work probably has someone in the decision making process that can use the internet to acquire information, which puts them well ahead of the general public and most of the government.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

What can you do in this instance? Is responding with violence as well not considered a good option?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

Rumours circulating around my work that most of us won't be going back into the office at all this year and will be WFH for the rest of it. Makes sense honestly and it's not like I'm unhappy with that news!

We're the same. They just spent two months and probably loads of money getting thousands of people set up to work from home so they're not likely to want to rush everyone back to the office.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of most of the office space and make working from home the norm once this is over now that the infrastructure's in place.

Josef bugman posted:

What can you do in this instance? Is responding with violence as well not considered a good option?

I would've thought the best course of action would've just been to refuse to leave and call the police if they tried to force the guy out. Now that he's out he'd probably have to wait for the courts to do something about it.

Obviously the kids make that next to impossible which makes this even more lovely.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 19, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

At the very least get him to contact the press.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

stev posted:

We're the same. They just spent two months and probably loads of money getting thousands of people set up to work from home so they're not likely to want to rush everyone back to the office.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of most of the office space and make working from home the norm once this is over now that the infrastructure's in place.

Yeah, more than one senior person has mentioned that they were pretty against WFH before this all happened because of ~*productivity*~ but since then they've realised that we're just as productive being at home so who gives a gently caress. Some of us have even been more productive because we're not constantly distracted by working in the hell that is open plan offices with 'breakout spaces' and people wanting to have a meeting right behind your desk and all the other poo poo that goes along with it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I think a lot of companies are starting negotiations for lease extensions/renewals due in September right now and I'm sure a lot will be thinking "why are we paying for offices (and cleaners, electricity and tea) when we can make or staff pay it instead and dress it up as a perk?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wonder if that will crash the arse out of the property market?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i like my home and i refuse to blight it with work

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

i like my home and i refuse to blight it with work

This is actually a significant thing - not all office workers can feasibly work from home.

I'm a furloughed office worker right now, but I live in a box room in a house with six other people where the only communal space is a kitchen and a garden - there's no room for me (or my housemates) to turn into a home office.

Without a decent raise or drop in rents moving to somewhere where working from home is more appropriate just isn't gonna happen, so I guess it's gonna be fun when we decide everyone should just work from home forever.

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 19, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Probably not, but I guarantee we'll see a load more of those "innovative" "conversions" of office space into residential (i.e. chuck up non-fire-rated partition walls so thin you can hear what your neighbours are thinking because they're letting landlords keep commercial fire regs instead of residential).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Commercial property is fuuuuucked. Look at what happened post 9/11 for a hint, and then scale it massively. From the people I know who lease property for their businesses it's absolutely a buyers market when it comes to renegotiating terms. They're not even waiting for the lease to be up, just calling up and saying 'Give us new terms or we are just going to stop paying.'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

WeWork were already turning out to be a worldwide Ponzi scheme before this whole thing went down, gotta wonder what's going to happen there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can I interest you in a reasonably priced communal work space time share arrangement?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stev posted:

I would've thought the best course of action would've just been to refuse to leave and call the police if they tried to force the guy out. Now that he's out he'd probably have to wait for the courts to do something about it.

Obviously the kids make that next to impossible which makes this even more lovely.

bailiffs can't evict you without a court order, which is clearly not possible right now, so yeah the "right" thing to do is to tell them to gently caress off, close the door, and it's probably not a bad idea to film them just in case they manage to "find" the back door wasn't locked or there was a window left open

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

This is actually a significant thing - not all office workers can feasibly work from home.

I'm a furloughed office worker right now, but I live in a box room in a house with six other people where the only communal space is a kitchen and a garden - there's no room for me (or my housemates) to turn into a home office.

Without a decent raise or drop in rents moving to somewhere where working from home is more appropriate just isn't gonna happen, so I guess it's gonna be fun when we decided everyone should just work from home forever.

Don't worry, I'm sure your company can work out a discount with WeWork for you as an added perk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's a WeWork?

Is it like a wew lad?

World ef Warcraft Ork?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I can't work from home unless my boss lets me bring the Magna Carta home on the train every night and, well.... yeah. Basically, gently caress you if your job lets you work from home, you should go to the office out of solidarity with me. I'm going full crab bucket on this one - if I have to be miserable so do all of you.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Working from home is pretty cool. I get to see my daughter for more than 1-2 hours on a weekday, can have my own music or podcasts on, and can keep on top of all the little housework jobs that used to cut into my evening.

Kinda regretting buying a new car six months ago though. It was a lot of pocket money for what's now <25 miles a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

communism bitch posted:

I can't work from home unless my boss lets me bring the Magna Carta home on the train every night and, well.... yeah. Basically, gently caress you if your job lets you work from home, you should go to the office out of solidarity with me. I'm going full crab bucket on this one - if I have to be miserable so do all of you.

Have you considered sneakily writing in "you have to work at the office" into the magna carta and starting your own political ideology based around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What's a WeWork?

Is it like a wew lad?

World ef Warcraft Ork?

The tldr is a rich kid (Adam Newman) mortgaged a bunch of properties and subleased them to a communal office space company he started - WeWork - who then raised billions of dollars in funding from SoftBank. Basically using venture capital to fund private ownership of commercial properties.

Eventually when they tried to file to go public everybody looked at the financials, realised it was a Ponzi scheme and now it's all crumbling.

The coffee is free tho.

E: here's a fun look at their S1 filing (to hold an IPO) https://www.profgalloway.com/wewtf

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 19, 2020