Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Have you considered sneakily writing in "you have to work at the office" into the magna carta and starting your own political ideology based around it?

I mean, if I was going to up-end the constitutional foundation of the county I might be slightly more ambitious than that. All wages to be paid in the form of pogs and slammers, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All I'm saying is that if you have the magna carta handy I bet you can write new stuff in it faster than parliament can amend it back out again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What's a WeWork?

Is it like a wew lad?

World ef Warcraft Ork?

Man buys office space then leases it out in smaller portions for small companies/sole traders. That's it, that's the business. Thanks to SV insanity though, enough money is thrown at him for him to be the largest commercial landlord in London and New York, despite the May Day parade-sized red flags (no actual way of turning a profit once the VC money runs out, the owner being a new-age weirdo but not to the extent that he didn't structure the company such that it had to pay him for the offices he bought with the companies money, no actual explanation of where the money was coming from or going to). In particular they grabbed the entire Cutler Street warehouse complex near Liverpool Street, the original home of the East India Company, and I seemed to be the only person to find this amusing.

Behind the Bastards did a pretty good couple of episodes on it: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-idiot-who-made-54136534/ which coincidentally I started listening to while sitting at Cutler Street.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

communism bitch posted:

I can't work from home unless my boss lets me bring the Magna Carta home on the train every night and, well.... yeah. Basically, gently caress you if your job lets you work from home, you should go to the office out of solidarity with me. I'm going full crab bucket on this one - if I have to be miserable so do all of you.

I actually petitioned for my current arrangement, WFH except two afternoons a week. It didn't feel like I was getting much stewarding done at home, and I wanted the members I represent to know we're here and show the colours if nothing else.

thus far it owns I could get used to getting paid a week's wages for a day's hard work (and being available for the rest of the week).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

All I'm saying is that if you have the magna carta handy I bet you can write new stuff in it faster than parliament can amend it back out again.

You're too late. They already legislated everything out of Magna Carta, with I think possibly the exception of the right to trial by your peers. And they’re working on that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

You're too late. They already legislated everything out of Magna Carta, with I think possibly the exception of the right to trial by your peers. And they’re working on that.

Hadn't they pretty much done that before the ink was even dry though?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
WFH owns, except my desk is an upturned fridge and a folding card table, and I'm about to move into a house we're renovating and it turns out the room I earmarked as my office has no loving electrical sockets in it. Whole place needs rewiring anyway so goodbye wallet

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The good thing about WFH is that you don't need to live in the middle of a city and pay an extortionate amount of rent for a single bed room in a shithole building. I'm paying less money out in the sticks for a 3 bed semi detached house with my GF than I did when I lived in the middle of bristol for a tiny 1 bed place.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I was WFH before it was cool. I had my desk, my needlessly loud keyboard, hand-shaped mouse, giant screen (just the one, I'm not a weirdo). It was lovely.

Now I'm working from my laptop on the kitchen table because my wife actually has stuff to do and I... don't, really.

I'm closer to the snacks though!

E:^^this is also true, my colleague joined my dept, which kind of needs to be in London, after a year or so moved into R&D (coding apps), and then swiftly got the go ahead to WFH and moved up North. Same salary (I assume), but non-crazy prices.

TBF I did the same but sort of in reverse, since my office building is in the uber-sticks so I live about halfway between it and Amsterdam (which isn't London pricey but still)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 19, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If it wasn't being managed by basically a conman, and didn't have insane SV valuations and dreams of taking of the world, WeWork's business model wasn't that terrible. People who own office buildings want to deal with a single long-term renter, and tiny companies don't want an entire building and don't want long-term leases, so it made sense for a company like WeWork to act as a middleman.

Of course, that business model assumes that there won't be a massive global reduction in the number of companies wanting small temporary office space. Whoops.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Aphex- posted:

The good thing about WFH is that you don't need to live in the middle of a city and pay an extortionate amount of rent for a single bed room in a shithole building. I'm paying less money out in the sticks for a 3 bed semi detached house with my GF than I did when I lived in the middle of bristol for a tiny 1 bed place.

Not to outright disagree with you, but this presupposes that the only things someone does with their time is work and watch Netflix. If you enjoy leaving the house and doing things (especially with other people) then living in the middle of a city has a lot of upsides which for some people justifies the price (pandemic notwithstanding).

I guess what I'm saying is, not a lot of nights out in the countryside.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This thread is very much an outlier, the vast majority of people just don't give a poo poo about politics, and a Tory voter and Labour voter being married is considerably less remarkable to the general public than a couple where one pronounces it "scone" and the other "scone".

As others have echoed politics isn't just red team blue team vote every five years that's me done. I can guarantee that 99% of those 'apolitical' couples will complain to each other about wages and their kids' schools and the fact gran has to wait months to get her hip seen to and, depressingly, those foreigns. That's all very loving political - even the choice to ignore it entirely. It's insane to commit to someone to the point of marriage and kids if you're not 100% certain that they're the person you want to be with, and if you get blindsided by their spectacular takes on the Irish ten years down the line you've only yourself to blame. That people rush to make these dumb 'life milestones' and therefore habitually gently caress themselves over is genuinely sad.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

blunt posted:

Not to outright disagree with you, but this presupposes that the only things someone does with their time is work and watch Netflix. If you enjoy leaving the house and doing things (especially with other people) then living in the middle of a city has a lot of upsides which for some people justifies the price (pandemic notwithstanding).

I'm 30 minutes from the centre of Bristol now. You don't need to live in the middle of nowhere to take advantage of cheaper rents. If I want a night out I just get the train. Also I'm closer to stuff that I like doing here like mountain biking and hiking. It definitely doesn't work for some people but it's really not an effort to get into town if you want to. I just don't have to deal with the commute every day.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I work* in conservation, and couldn't work from home even if I wanted. Unless bats suddenly move in to my attic (fingers crossed)

But I like having the separation from home; a place to relax in underwear, and work; a place where I must wear underwear. How do you WFHers do it?

*well, if everything wasn't on hold anyway

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

As someone who lives in London a night out in London is usually a miserable experience.

Smaller, cheaper cities are much better for that kind of thing. I miss Norwich.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

blunt posted:

Following on from my post above, I guess there's a difference between living and WFHing in the sparse but cheap area nearish to your office (and occasionally going in), and moving to an entirely different, cheaper part of the country but living in a city there - which requires a) your company to allow that, b) probably paying for your own long-distance occasional office visits and c) starting in the Southeast so the gradient is steep enough

Ratjaculation posted:

I work* in conservation, and couldn't work from home even if I wanted. Unless bats suddenly move in to my attic (fingers crossed)

But I like having the separation from home; a place to relax in underwear, and work; a place where I must wear underwear. How do you WFHers do it?

*well, if everything wasn't on hold anyway

Having a dedicated office room you can "commute" to helps a lot. Or semi-dedicated, mine also contains musical instruments and (now) a rowing machine, but I wouldn't have jumped on WFH full time if I'd still been in a small flat with no space.

This being of course just one of the inequalities that will come out if WFH becomes more normal :smith:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2020

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

stev posted:

As someone who lives in London a night out in London is usually a miserable experience.

Smaller, cheaper cities are much better for that kind of thing. I miss Norwich.

Yeah in London you have three choices of bar: overpriced, overfull, or overgimmicky.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Purple Prince posted:

Yeah in London you have three choices of bar: overpriced, overfull, or overgimmicked.

Usually all three.

I miss when no one in London knew or cared about the German beer halls. You need to book ages in advance now and their prices have skyrocketed.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'd never advocate for someone to live in London and I wasn't thinking about London when I made my comment.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
London is hot garbage for a night out imo

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

stev posted:

Usually all three.

I miss when no one in London knew or cared about the German beer halls. You need to book ages in advance now and their prices have skyrocketed.

The only really good nights out I ever had in London were at private member's clubs and on event nights with limited guest lists (I know, guillotine now please). Otherwise you're not likely to find the two people in the place you have something in common with and will end up awkwardly trying to shunt past groups of marketing executives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

London is hot garbage for a night out imo

And indeed, on a night in and during the day as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
And the White Horse shut

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"London being bad for a night out" is up there with the "no good restaurants in paris" comment I read once in GWS.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jippa posted:

"London being bad for a night out" is up there with the "no good restaurants in paris" comment I read once in GWS.
Well yeah, Paris doesn't have a Nandos.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

communism bitch posted:

I can't work from home unless my boss lets me bring the Magna Carta home on the train every night and, well.... yeah. Basically, gently caress you if your job lets you work from home, you should go to the office out of solidarity with me. I'm going full crab bucket on this one - if I have to be miserable so do all of you.

If it makes you feel better I'm not working from home, I'm working from the lawn out of the front of my estate while sunning myself

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Well yeah, Paris doesn't have a Nandos.

Nondeau's (they have no water) :dadjoke:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

London has a fuckload of amazing pubs and places to hang out at night. You're all crazy.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

Seriously, more manageably sized regional cities are way better. The only bars I could find in London were overpriced cocktail places, old school capital P pubs, and chain places. All of them were overpriced and completely impossible to find a seat in on a Friday/Sat and usually closed by midnight. I'm sure there are clubs but I'm not a club kinda person and really like having somewhere to sit and talk poo poo getting steaming till the early hours, and that was hard to come by. I appreciate that it's so massive these places probably exist if you know where to look but I certainly couldn't find any.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Sheffield is (was) great though.

Cheap, loads of good places to eat, lots of silly hipster beer & food truck places if that's your sort of thing, right near the peaks for biking and hiking, decent public transport and it's all Labour anti Tory fun for the most part.

I live just out in the suburbs about 20 minutes on the bus to the centre and rents here are about £600-900 for a 2-3 bedroom house. Loads of jobs too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It is indeed a case of knowing where to look. But in my case all I care about is that the pub has a table big enough to fold out a copy of Twilight Struggle on so my friend and I can be gigantic nerds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

communism bitch posted:

i'm furloughed and spending all my time inside playing wow because theres not a lot else to do owned

having seen an original magna carta in person it looks amazing especially when you look at the sun damaged to gently caress US constitution and declaration of independence immediately after

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 19, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just heard on Sky News that the Queen has lost £80m in personal wealth because all the royal houses are shut to tourism, forcing her forcing her I say to lay off a load of staff

guillotine

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Seriously, more manageably sized regional cities are way better. The only bars I could find in London were overpriced cocktail places, old school capital P pubs, and chain places. All of them were overpriced and completely impossible to find a seat in on a Friday/Sat and usually closed by midnight. I'm sure there are clubs but I'm not a club kinda person and really like having somewhere to sit and talk poo poo getting steaming till the early hours, and that was hard to come by. I appreciate that it's so massive these places probably exist if you know where to look but I certainly couldn't find any.

Honestly, you just didn't look hard enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just heard on Sky News that the Queen has lost £80m in personal wealth because all the royal houses are shut to tourism, forcing her forcing her I say to lay off a load of staff

guillotine

So people who use tourism to justify her existence can go gently caress one?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

i'm furloughed and spending all my time inside playing wow because theres not a lot else to do owned

having seen an original magna carta in person it looks amazing especially when you look at the sun damaged to gently caress US constitution and declaration of independence immediately after
I'm still on furlough, but probably going to be going back to work next week. I'm too depressed and lazy to lay video games, so I'm just laying around in bed listening to chillwave radio and getting high

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

Honestly, you just didn't look hard enough.

Very possible tbh

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just went for a code toucher interview today and apparently WFH is impossible for them and they don't "do" social distancing. Also the manager insisted on shaking my hand and told me to take off my mask b/c yeah I dunno.

Honestly they don't seem too bad aside from that but still.

It's a SCADA system so everyone is a key worker.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

Just went for a code toucher interview today and apparently WFH is impossible for them and they don't "do" social distancing. Also the manager insisted on shaking my hand and told me to take off my mask b/c yeah I dunno.

Honestly they don't seem too bad aside from that but still.

Sounds like an elaborate ploy to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They don't seem to bad apart from actively trying to kill me because the boss can't accept reality.