Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is way more goofy and way more badass than I think anybody could imagine.

Of course he is.

He's the number 1 in Japan, after all.

He also teamed up with Domon Kasshu at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://files.catbox.moe/dtsdpt.webm

I should get back to Kaiketsu Zubat, it was a truly fun show. I'm a little sad they abandon the wild west flair so soon but what it's replaced with is very fun as well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX-_L7bSwdY

I just discovered this OVA called Dragon's Heaven. It's basically Moebius (Jean Giraud): The Anime.

Also some of the plot points shave in pretty close to my own work. I'm loving it and will definitely slip a reference in.

Edit: It is, in fact, declared a tribute to Moebius.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 17, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

squints

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You don't have to squint the Dragon's Heaven manga was by Makoto Kobayashi who directed the OVA and designed the baund doc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MarsDragon posted:

I'm suspecting a regional thing, but if it is then there's the vague hope that Voltes will at least show up on RetroCrush.

No idea what's with Combattler and Daimos, though.

Mystery partly solved: https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1257072181886029834

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ranzear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX-_L7bSwdY

I just discovered this OVA called Dragon's Heaven. It's basically Moebius (Jean Giraud): The Anime.

Also some of the plot points shave in pretty close to my own work. I'm loving it and will definitely slip a reference in.

Edit: It is, in fact, declared a tribute to Moebius.

Oh yeah, kaiserbeamz did an episode on it, it looks so good!

I grew up with Moebius comcis thanks to my dad, who used to own a Bande Dessinée shop in Montréal. We had a bunch of eurocomics lying around, including some really rare stuff. Some were signed!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/thaliarchus/status/1261002691389673472

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm still trying to cope with it being more than 10,000 years since Diebuster came out. Time flies, huh?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still trying to cope with it being more than 10,000 years since Diebuster came out. Time flies, huh?

I don't blame you, it was really easy to lose track of time during these ten millennia of quarantine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

It's only tangentially related in the most tenuous sense, but something that genuinely blew my mind when someone pointed it out to me and which still weirds me out to think about is the fact that there's more time between the building of the Great Pyramid of Giza and Cleopatra (about 2400 to 2500 years), than there is between Cleopatra and us (about 2000 to 2100). Things happen so fast nowadays that it's freaky to think that the Egyptian empires covered nearly 3,000 years. If you stepped from now to 3,000 years in the future (nevermind the 10,000 Gunbuster took) there would probably be almost nothing recognizable about the society or culture you'd come in to (presuming there even was one).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To be fair cleopatra was of the ptolemaic dynasty, who were a bunch of colonizers installed in the wake of Alexander the Great conquering basically everything, and the time between the pyramids and Cleopatra contained several massive collapses, so it was less a single contiguous empire and more a region that maintained its cultural heritage for thousands of years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

It's only tangentially related in the most tenuous sense, but something that genuinely blew my mind when someone pointed it out to me and which still weirds me out to think about is the fact that there's more time between the building of the Great Pyramid of Giza and Cleopatra (about 2400 to 2500 years), than there is between Cleopatra and us (about 2000 to 2100). Things happen so fast nowadays that it's freaky to think that the Egyptian empires covered nearly 3,000 years. If you stepped from now to 3,000 years in the future (nevermind the 10,000 Gunbuster took) there would probably be almost nothing recognizable about the society or culture you'd come in to (presuming there even was one).

Imagine how much Gundam there will be by then.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Imagine how much Gundam there will be by then.

New-Neo-Novel-Hip-Cool-Ultra-Mega-Seriously-This-Time-Guys-For-Real-Though Zeon XVII. The fourth. Esquire.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

We will be able to create a real time map tracking the location of every soldier who participated in the One Year War.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

We will be able to create a real time map tracking the location of every soldier who participated in the One Year War.

Every single one of them will have a Gundam.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

All n-million soldiers are at most 3 degrees from Char Aznable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I thought the 12 part OVA about all the times Chief Petty Officer Cuaran had to take a dump was clever, human, and oddly emotional. It really made you understand him better as a person and helped reframe the events of Time, Be Still without undermining the original episode.

The big budget movie of Char's potty breaks they did afterwards, though, just felt like they were trying to cash in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought the 12 part OVA about all the times Chief Petty Officer Cuaran had to take a dump was clever, human, and oddly emotional. It really made you understand him better as a person and helped reframe the events of Time, Be Still without undermining the original episode.

The big budget movie of Char's potty breaks they did afterwards, though, just felt like they were trying to cash in

Don't be silly.

G-Reco already clarified that mobile suits have built in toilets.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally I feel Gundam Build Miners, the show about how Gunpla can be used to mine for bitcoin, was perhaps a step too far in the commercialization of the franchise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Don't be silly.

G-Reco already clarified that mobile suits have built in toilets.

That was part of why Cuaran's story was so emotional!

As a Wappa jockey, he was unable to experience the same luxuries as the Mobile Suit pilots. Every time you saw the rumble of a passing Zaku, you knew that there was a bathroom nearby that he could never use.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Completely out of left field subject here, but I’ve been playing final fantasy XIV again lately and it occurred to me that this chapter in particular has so many mechs you could probably slot XIV into Super Robot Wars relatively easily, as between the Empire’s various flavors of magitek walkers, the whole Alexander raid concerning a giant super robot full of smaller, also super robots, Omega, and this version of the WEAPONs being just straight up mecha, with Ruby Weapon even getting a gundam-style launch sequence, its firmly within the genre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Completely out of left field subject here, but I’ve been playing final fantasy XIV again lately and it occurred to me that this chapter in particular has so many mechs you could probably slot XIV into Super Robot Wars relatively easily, as between the Empire’s various flavors of magitek walkers, the whole Alexander raid concerning a giant super robot full of smaller, also super robots, Omega, and this version of the WEAPONs being just straight up mecha, with Ruby Weapon even getting a gundam-style launch sequence, its firmly within the genre.

Yeah, the Ruby Weapon fight is SRW as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkWpF3DILqU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

How would you handle the robot's opponents being "8 dudes on foot" all the time, though

there's almost no mech units on the hero side

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

How would you handle the robot's opponents being "8 dudes on foot" all the time, though

Simple.

You get an "Airship" unit which basically serves as a carrier for the Warrior of Light, sort of like Boss Borot does for the K5.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zereth posted:

Could just have it be an antagonist only entry, sure that's something SRW has never done before, but it still wouldn't be the weirdest thing the franchise has done

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm watching Panzer World Galient and I wish it went harder on the medieval knight/mythological being theme for the robots. It kinda lost me once Galient got a gun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but it has the best op

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zereth posted:

New feature: when the LB gauge is full, the WoL and companions can assemble into a giant robot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'ma just leave this right here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spGpo6tH-Fc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shouldn't it be Char's Zaku II?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

I'm watching Panzer World Galient and I wish it went harder on the medieval knight/mythological being theme for the robots. It kinda lost me once Galient got a gun.

You might enjoy the third OVA more then, it's an original story with a darker fantasy tone

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1266090836120436736?s=19

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
did they improve the picture quality because it was already pretty great?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seems like it doesn’t include Armor Hunter Mellowlink? That’s a shame, it’s great and hard to find in decent quality.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Seems like it doesn’t include Armor Hunter Mellowlink? That’s a shame, it’s great and hard to find in decent quality.

That's because the masters were lost for that one, apparently.

Laserdisc rips are the best we can get.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat that is a fantastic price for the show and almost all the OVAs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because the masters were lost for that one, apparently.

Laserdisc rips are the best we can get.

I wish they’d just rip the LDs, do what they can to it, and make that available even if it’s not quite as nice looking.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

did they improve the picture quality because it was already pretty great?

Uhhh... the original VOTOMs BDS had some severe interlacing problems where they deinterlaced them wrong and 2 out of every f5 frames (which should have been only one correct frame if done properly) ended up like this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomaznable/status/1105619382884016128

Depending on your BD player it could kinda correct for this but for me and my setup it didn't and it was just unwatchable as it constantly twitched blurrily during any kind of motion. Thankfully their HiDIVE version wasn't like that, which is how I ended up watching it.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, noticed that I hadn't mentioned anything I'd seen for a while. Figure I might as well correct a little of that, since I managed to get around to seeing the Patlabor movies.

It's interesting to compare them. The first one feels like a Patlabor movie that happens to be by Oshii. The second film is an Oshii movie starring characters from Patlabor. (Well, Oshii and Ito. But they have enough projects shared between them to make 'Oshii" a useful shorthand.)

To go into a little more detail, the first film, although it focuses to an extent on Goto (naturally enough, given the preferences of the creative team), is an ensemble piece, with all the leads getting some scenes to strut their stuff. Moreover, it all revolves around Labors. The inciting incidents for the plot is a rogue labor. The villain's plot is about using labors to kick off mass chaos. And the final act is all about big fights between our heroes in labors and the rogue labors subverted by the villain's plan, climaxing with a one-on-one showdown where Noa Izumi and Alphonse fight a cutting edge prototype mech. The first film is a mech anime, and accepts the duties and privileges of the title.

Patlabor 2, by contrast, is more grudging about the role. The focus moves onto Goto and Shinobu, and the Ingrams feel more like an obligation than an integral part of the plot. Noa Izumi is here because it's Patlabor, there's mechs in the endgame because Patlabor, and now that the obligations have been satisfied, Oshii can go back to his preferred plots of morally ambiguous government agents double crossing each other and going into lengthy talks on the nature of humanity when the camera isn't doing beautiful and silent sweeps of the city. It's a more dour film than most Patlabor material, with fewer jokes and more of a tone of futility. The team drifted apart, Labors are going into decline, and most of the cast can never reach whatever they wanted out of life.

Which isn't to say it's a bad film. It's quite good, with beautiful visuals, a clever plot, and plenty of Goto being Goto, even if most of the team has somewhat less room to shine than in the first film. I'm still not sure how well it holds up to its reputation as the best Patlabor has to offer, but I can say with confidence people are right that it's a classic.

Just watching the classics, though, is restricting. Like eating terrible amusement park pizza makes you appreciate a good restaurant more, bad anime leaves you appreciating good anime all the more.

Which brings us to Planzet, a 2010 CG movie, about an hour long, where aliens who look like the Bugs from Gundam F91 try to wipe out humanity for some reason. Since they killed our hero's dad (who we met in the opening five minutes, but who we don't see do anything) our otherwise unmotivated young lead goes to fight them while trying to convince his generically younger sister to go to Mars while she whines and cries about him risking his life piloting a robot against genocidal aliens who killed literally every other pilot in the hemisphere. (Including the other two pilots we're introduced to in the opening, who died with all the dignity and purpose of that one GM pilot killed by a RB-79.) The last desperate plans fail, and humanity seems doomed.

Fortunately, some higher ups in the project to save the Earth were idiots, so they put the world saving super robot in the basement, ready to be deployed as soon as someone triggered the pointless self destruct in a pointless suicide attempt. Even better, someone apparently put psychoframe or something everywhere, so all you need to do to win is... want to win enough. So once the hero yells and hallucinates(?) his father punching him for being such a whiny baby, he saves the day.

The CG isn't as offensive as, say, the Gundam IGLOO minis, but it's still not good. The attempts at realism mainly highlight the stiff and robotic movements of the cast. The mech designs range from dull (the grunt mechs that die halfway in) to terrible (the final super mech), the sound is stock, the closing song is bad, and none of the dialog has any spark. It's not even like the runtime is an excuse. Out of genre, there's The Garden of Words showing what an anime can do with 45 minutes or so, and even with mech anime, you get better... everything in Zone of the Enders: Dolores.

Hard to say what the point of the film is, but it does exist. So, if you love boring things with mechs that exist, Planzet might be just you're looking for.

But even then, probably not.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 10, 2020