Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

So final verdict, Virtual Desktop is very cool but I guess between my router and less than state of the art PC specs, it's just a little too wobbly to really be able to use. One day hopefully.

Did you set your router to use 5ghz? I have an old PC and a mediocre router, and Alyx ran great once I had the router correctly configured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, and there's probably more I could mess with but for now the Link setup works pretty well for me. Played three hours of Alyx with it yesterday and the only real issue I had was my lack of playing space and the Guardian popping up every time I tried to use my Gravity Gloves to get something.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
What are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo in Half-Life Alyx? There is no melee damage, and the zombies are blocking my path.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

backtrack. the game will place ammo if you're out

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its really strange they didn't give you a melee weapon of some sort at least, considering the use of physics elsewhere in the game world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like the endgame teases the possibility at least.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maybe in 5 years, when Alyx 2 comes out they will finally catch up to current generation of VR games in terms of features.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

SimonChris posted:

What are you supposed to do when you run out of ammo in Half-Life Alyx? There is no melee damage, and the zombies are blocking my path.

If you're me, drop the game in despair for several weeks and then start a new game from chapter 3 with an eye for conserving ammo.

Happy to say I got over that particular hurdle and it really is a stunning masterpiece of gamecrafting genius.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you keep moving around and dodging the game will magically spawn ammo/health on previous corpses.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tom Guycot posted:

Its really strange they didn't give you a melee weapon of some sort at least, considering the use of physics elsewhere in the game world.

I mean it's not like Half-Life has some kind of iconic melee weapon or anything.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

quote:

Why You Can't Use A Crowbar In Half-Life: Alyx

Valve did not go into Half-Life: Alyx’s development intending to snub the little nail remover that could. In fact, Valve designer and programmer Robin Walker told Kotaku that the team “lost, like, a year and a half of our lives trying to get a crowbar in VR.” They tried multiple different kinds of crowbars, including a mechanical one.

“It certainly unlocked a lot of gameplay we liked,” Walker said over the phone. “There were puzzles where you had to slip it between bars and hook something and pull it over to you. It could function as an extra remote hand, which was cool. But it had lots of problems.”

Specifically, a perfect storm of physics, gameplay, and narrative issues stranded the legendary implement on the sidelines. The physics issues stemmed not from how the crowbar would impact players’ experiences when they were using it but from all the trouble it would get up to when they weren’t.

“The lack of force feedback meant that players would often hold their crowbar out of their sight, because that’s what you do when you’re holding a real crowbar—you wouldn’t look at it all the time,” said Walker. “But then they’d hook it on stuff. They’d be walking along, and then they’d hook it on a door. So for us, it was like ‘What do we do now?’ We tried various things like the end of the crowbar turns it physics off, or stops colliding [with objects] when it’s off screen. In real life, you would feel your arm getting tugged as you hooked the curve of the crowbar on something, but we have no feedback like that in VR. We could buzz your hand with haptics, but we found that’s never foolproof. Some players just don’t notice it enough.”

[article continues]

https://kotaku.com/why-you-cant-use-a-crowbar-in-half-life-alyx-1842491319

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 19, 2020

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

They could have used something else, like the pipe wrench in Opposing Force. Opposing Force was awesome. I really hope they wrap it back in to the series at some point.

HLVR2: Shepard? Plz?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah this is another weird decision. Like I get what they're saying, but again a million and one VR games have melee weapons that work fine. It just feels oddly neutered when you're playing the game and you can't just like pickup a board or bottle or something, and beat down a headcrab trying to jump at you.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm finally thinking of picking up Elite, but my system is a few years old and I'm not sure if it can handle VR . I've got an i5-7500, 16GB RAM, and an 8GB GTX1070, and I'd like to go with a good headset, e.g. a vive pro, but is my hardware good enough to support an immersive frame rate at reasonably high detail?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think you'd be fine with turning a few settings down. It should still look great and perform reasonably.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah this is another weird decision. Like I get what they're saying, but again a million and one VR games have melee weapons that work fine. It just feels oddly neutered when you're playing the game and you can't just like pickup a board or bottle or something, and beat down a headcrab trying to jump at you.

Pretty much. Its actually why I haven't actually finished the game. It really bummed me out that those boards when you first encounter them couldn't be broken by ANYTHING. You had to like, pull them off the wall? What?

Yeah man, Thanks for going backwards on poo poo. As a "fan" it really tilted me.

Games still great. Don't get me wrong. And if you have no attachment to the series, whatever. But like, I remember each launch of each game, and was lucky enough to play them all on hardware that could be maxed out and have the best possible experience and this time around was no different. Then going through it, it felt like "A great VR shooter set in the Half-Life world", but it didn't feel like "The next evolution of Half-Life".

Again, Games fine in general. I get why they did what they did for the average gamer. It just sucks theres things like that missing when this is "the next game" even if its not 3.

And yes holy poo poo the head crab thing. I on instinct, just like in boneworks tried to "bat it out of the air while trying to grab a leg". Boneworks, worked great, if they didnt bite you, you didnt take damage, cool. You'd shoot em in the facehole, done. Half-Life basically lets you kinda grab the thing, but you always seem to take damage (even normal headcrabs, i get taking damage on the spikey ones or w/e), and they have some weird ability to ignore the fact you've grabbed them and you might as well just have shot them on the ground since you took damage and now have a floppy thing somehow still randomly damaging you. Ugh.

Its kinda how I feel about index controllers to be honest.

Yeah, they work. They are fine. They are the best current light house controllers.
Buuuut I miss CV1 touch real bad. They were just better controllers to play games with.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EbolaIvory posted:

Buuuut I miss CV1 touch real bad. They were just better controllers to play games with.

:same:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

has anyone tried beating a headcrab with another headcrab?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Third Man posted:

I'm finally thinking of picking up Elite, but my system is a few years old and I'm not sure if it can handle VR . I've got an i5-7500, 16GB RAM, and an 8GB GTX1070, and I'd like to go with a good headset, e.g. a vive pro, but is my hardware good enough to support an immersive frame rate at reasonably high detail?

I've ran Elite Dangerous on the Rift with the previous generation of that processor and a 1060. You should be fine.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
anyone else try the rift s or whatever without the facemask shroud thing? it's actually much more comfortable and breezy and you can just wear a hoodie or play in the dark and it's a non issue for light bleed, plus I can adjust the lens distance much closer.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

Pretty much. Its actually why I haven't actually finished the game. It really bummed me out that those boards when you first encounter them couldn't be broken by ANYTHING. You had to like, pull them off the wall? What?

Yeah man, Thanks for going backwards on poo poo. As a "fan" it really tilted me.

Games still great. Don't get me wrong. And if you have no attachment to the series, whatever. But like, I remember each launch of each game, and was lucky enough to play them all on hardware that could be maxed out and have the best possible experience and this time around was no different. Then going through it, it felt like "A great VR shooter set in the Half-Life world", but it didn't feel like "The next evolution of Half-Life".

Again, Games fine in general. I get why they did what they did for the average gamer. It just sucks theres things like that missing when this is "the next game" even if its not 3.

And yes holy poo poo the head crab thing. I on instinct, just like in boneworks tried to "bat it out of the air while trying to grab a leg". Boneworks, worked great, if they didnt bite you, you didnt take damage, cool. You'd shoot em in the facehole, done. Half-Life basically lets you kinda grab the thing, but you always seem to take damage (even normal headcrabs, i get taking damage on the spikey ones or w/e), and they have some weird ability to ignore the fact you've grabbed them and you might as well just have shot them on the ground since you took damage and now have a floppy thing somehow still randomly damaging you. Ugh.

Its kinda how I feel about index controllers to be honest.

Yeah, they work. They are fine. They are the best current light house controllers.

Yeah, don't get me wrong HL:A is great, in my top 5 VR games for sure, and it excels where a triple A studio would, the visuals, writing, acting, plotting, etc, but it does tend to fall into the trap a lot of established companies have when jumping into VR. They play things extremely safe and often don't seem aware of whats going on around them in the space, making choices that seem a bit anachronistic or strange compared to what the community is used to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong HL:A is great, in my top 5 VR games for sure, and it excels where a triple A studio would, the visuals, writing, acting, plotting, etc, but it does tend to fall into the trap a lot of established companies have when jumping into VR. They play things extremely safe and often don't seem aware of whats going on around them in the space, making choices that seem a bit anachronistic or strange compared to what the community is used to.

If you watch Valve's video on HL:Alyx's movement, they bring up that they designed their three movement systems in the initial planning stages (which would've been a few years ago in the days where teleportation was more the norm) and just never revised the specs. All their feedback was also coached around refining those movement systems, rather than looking for comparisons to other contemporary games to evolve them. It is very well made and they've made fantastic effort in the movement systems to refine them as they have, they're just rooted in outdated concepts.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The Third Man posted:

I do just fine using an index with an overclocked 4770k and the same 1070. You're fine, if a bit GPU limited.

Can't speak for Elite though.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 20, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Elite still looks really loving nice even with the graphics options slashed quite a ways. You should be able to find a balance you like with that setup.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
If you're running out of ammo in alyx, grab a box or bucket and put all your mags in there and bring it with you until you have 20. The game will just keep spawning more everywhere if you have 0 mags in your backpack

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you're running out of ammo in Alyx try aiming :smuggo:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

If you're running out of ammo in Alyx try aiming :smuggo:

I panic whenever I see a headcrab and empty an entire clip into the air. The animation when they are eating your face just feels way too real.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Put a hard hat on your head and they can't attach to your face

Or a bucket but then you can't see

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

tak posted:

That explains so much. I didn't know there was a head crab animation because I decided to be goofy and wear hats from the start.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

tak posted:

You could also grab a decent sized object and hold it out in front of you like a shield.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Are there any multiplayer games that work particularly well with the Index? Me and a friend played through Arizona Sunshine, and some Payday 2 (which is pretty wonky, honestly) and I can't really find anything else that really works well with the knuckles, everything multiplayer seems to be designed for the Rift or the Vive, or is in access so early it's hard to justify a purchase.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Say you have a Quest, and a game you want is released for PCVR as well as Quest. Is it preferable to buy the PC version and run it there via the link, or the quest version for portability? I am assuming with some more intense games it's going to be better running off the PC?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Link and Virtual Desktop incur an input latency penalty, small enough to not matter most of the time but rhythm games or anything else that requires very precise timing may be an exception. Luckily many of them are available on the Quest and they're good conversions though Beat Saber isn't quite as moddable; most custom beatmaps work but things go much further than that on PC. There's also games like Eleven Table Tennis and Thumper which are cross-buy, so you don't really have to choose. So it's mostly down to preference and taking in consideration the demands of the game.

The PCVR versions will of course look nicer, even on a mid-spec PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool. Like, I noticed The Walking Dead S&S is planned for release on Quest, but it seems like something like that would look way better on a PC, so buy something like that there i'd imagine. Right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. Like, I noticed The Walking Dead S&S is planned for release on Quest, but it seems like something like that would look way better on a PC, so buy something like that there i'd imagine. Right?

Mostly just think 1) is this going to be more fun to play wirelessly (made irrelevant if you're using VD instead of Link), 2) is the input latency induced by Link/Virtual Desktop going to make playing it miserable and 3) which format is it cheaper on?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Until You Fall is a real treat, it took me a while to get down with the dodge mechanic but managed to beat the first beast encounter without taking a hit from that. Feels so good to do the dodge and slap them around. I couldnt imagine playing this tethered though, I spin a lot playing it

Also uppercutting with axes is real satisfying and I have found myself taunting the computers more than once

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Until You Fall is easily the best VR melee combat game and its not even out of early access yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

On the flip side it's kinda cool having a game with so much depth on a portable system. In any case S&S is going to be cross-buy, so if you get the PCVR version from the Oculus' store now you'll be able to play the Quest version whenever it's released. The other choice is buying it from Steam, no cross-buy or Quest compatibility at all but comes with SteamVR compatibility, so if you buy a non-Oculus headset down the track you'll be able to play the game without having to resort to a third party API wrapper. Choices!

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 20, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Say you have a Quest, and a game you want is released for PCVR as well as Quest. Is it preferable to buy the PC version and run it there via the link, or the quest version for portability? I am assuming with some more intense games it's going to be better running off the PC?

It depends of how much you value the portability, I guess. Apart from that, it depends on the game graphical prowess and how it's compromised on the Quest: something like Beat Saber, SuperHot or Eleven TT are perfect for Quest, but I imagine there will be heavy compromises for something like Walking Dead S&S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Multidimensional Bakery on the Quill Theater is a must watch. I usually only see the stuff on the Quest, and I was surprised by it on the pc app. I guess there are a few scenes that are PC exclusive because their scope.