Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Lemon
May 22, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

The episode I found most egregious was Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily where the Flanders become foster parents to the Simpson kids due to incredibly lazy writing. There's some good gags to make up for it, but it really comes off as a storyline written around some good gags.

Yeah but some of those gags are are stupendously good, though.

"I'm a big, four-eyed lame-o, and I wear the same stupid sweater every day, and-- The Springfield River!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lemon posted:

Yeah but some of those gags are are stupendously good, though.

"I'm a big, four-eyed lame-o, and I wear the same stupid sweater every day, and-- The Springfield River!"

My dad used to look and act like Ned for a while in the 90's. Man he did not like that scene with the holy water burning Homer

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uh, Pa, I cut my finger on the screen door again

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

iamastupidbaby posted:

The episode I found most egregious was Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily where the Flanders become foster parents to the Simpson kids due to incredibly lazy writing. There's some good gags to make up for it, but it really comes off as a storyline written around some good gags.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I always hear "who the gently caress watches new Simpsons episodes?" as a rhetorical question, but I find it an interesting serious question. There are the diehard fans, of course. But I just can't see a niche that gives the network reliable ratings, yet it apparently exists.

It definitely does, and it's one that makes a lot of sense: people are stupid and like things they recognize.

Really, that's what keeps it afloat, at least that's my theory. A year or so ago I overheard coworkers in a common area talking on a Monday about the previous night's episode - one that was described here and seemed awful. Anyways, one coworker said something along the lines of "its good background noise, and good for a few laughs."

That's the people that watch it - those that don't really watch it, and remember that The Simpsons Is Funny. They remember it being very funny when they were younger, and probably haven't seen it since then. So they turn it on without really caring to sit and watch it, leaving it on while they play switch or cook dinner or brows Facebook or whatever else. Every once in a while Homer says d'oh or they hear a super shallow joke and they giggle and that's that. I don't think anybody really sits and watches the show that much anymore, so who cares if the jokes are shallow or lazy? Any effort would be wasted.

I suspect there's also a subset of people who have just always religiously watched it every Sunday night, and continue to do so. I suspect most of this group never cared for or "got" the clever humor in the first place, and only enjoyed the surface level jokes. Thus, to them, the show hasn't changed much because they don't recognize the jokes are lazy now. It's kind of like a weird natural selection - the only people still watching are those who don't care that the show's got lazy and unfunny, and thus there's no encouragement to improve. Everyone who cared about the show having quality was weeded out years ago - both in the fan base and writing staff.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 19, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You just described one of my friends and his girlfriend perfectly. They can't really remember any classic episodes but just vaguely remember them being funny. They watch new episodes, as in, its on while they both sit on the couch staring at their phones. They catch a few jokes here and there but otherwise have no idea what the episode was about when it ends. This is how they watch -all- TV though, whether its Breaking Bad or some throwaway reality show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

iamsosmrt posted:

I dunno, felt while that one revolves around some contrivances, CPS does highlight some indications of neglect and abuse that aren't solely a result of a string of bad luck. (though they really should check the school out more)

Most TV nowadays is basically the same as radio- background noise for people who don't care to pay attention and are usually spending most of the time on their phones.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PinheadSlim posted:

Season 7 is usually when good shows start to show faults. All the way from MASH, to The Simpsons, to The Office it seems to be a normal thing.

The thing always amazes me about American TV (especially compared to British sitcoms which generally have six episode runs) is how long your seasons are. At 20 episodes a season, a show going into its seventh season will have had 120 episodes. No wonder they're running on fumes by that point.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Ned, have you thought about one of the other major religions? They’re all pretty much the same...

That episode is loaded with great lines, it’s officially good :colbert:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Party Boat posted:

The thing always amazes me about American TV (especially compared to British sitcoms which generally have six episode runs) is how long your seasons are. At 20 episodes a season, a show going into its seventh season will have had 120 episodes. No wonder they're running on fumes by that point.

That isn't really a thing anymore for most shows

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To Americans, the idea of a show only lasting for six episodes is like "wtf, why even bother :psyduck:"

I think our traditional perception is that a show should be an ongoing "thing" you do for literally a quarter of a year, you build a nightly routine around watching it at a certain time with your family. It's less about being a single self-contained creative work or story, and more about being a long-term habit for consumers to form and watch ads for 13 weeks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Things have been changing a lot with the rise of streaming and cable companies going from king poo poo to a collapsing empire. Pretty much the entire production pipeline for TV was built around filling timeslots with as much content as possible, but with cord cutters being a thing- with the cable companies mostly having themselves to blame for making their service as inconvenient as humanly possible- they're having to change things up in a hurry.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Lol just thought of a "new" episode I saw part of, (by new maybe 2006 or something) in which Marge sees Dr. Marvin Monroe and she says, "I haven't seen you in years!"

"Oh, I was very sick" was his reply. It didn't seem like a joke though. Like, that is the legit reason the writers came up with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He should have said "Oh, I was never popular"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

eh, I don't think it's super fait to complain about "lazy writing" for the purposes of setting up jokes/comedic situations. Even the absolute best simpsons episodes treat the world as completely malleable and willing to operate on moon logic, and the characters as (primarily) joke-delivering mechanisms.

The Simpsons do have some successful heartstring-pulling moments, but for the vast part I would say the writers care way more about telling jokes than anything else.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I watched the season finale because I was bored, there's also a dude who tries proposes to the therapist with his dead mother's ring that he exhumes from her grave. She chooses the dogs over a Tuscan honeymoon, he puts the ring bag in a bag labeled "Dead Women's Rings," and idgi two days later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Lol just thought of a "new" episode I saw part of, (by new maybe 2006 or something) in which Marge sees Dr. Marvin Monroe and she says, "I haven't seen you in years!"

"Oh, I was very sick" was his reply. It didn't seem like a joke though. Like, that is the legit reason the writers came up with.

That's a deep cut joke. I'm pretty sure he appeared in the clouds with Bleeding Gums Murphy, and on a tombstone during a Treehouse or Horror at some point.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a deep cut joke. I'm pretty sure he appeared in the clouds with Bleeding Gums Murphy

You're thinking of the 138th episode spectacular which had the aforementioned "never popular" joke. The joke with the clouds is that they were all James Earl Jones characters (Mufasa, Darth Vader, himself doing "this is CNN")

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I watched the season finale because I was bored, there's also a dude who tries proposes to the therapist with his dead mother's ring that he exhumes from her grave. She chooses the dogs over a Tuscan honeymoon, he puts the ring bag in a bag labeled "Dead Women's Rings," and idgi two days later.

That was a very odd subplot. I'm not sure why the dog therapist was getting calls and proposals from some random dude the whole episode. I thought maybe he was played by her husband or something who just wanted to be on the Simpsons and took the opportunity of his wife being on it to get on. But no, he's voiced by someone who's been on the show 6 times and is not married to Cate Blanchett.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Dr Monroe was semicanonically dead, then revealed to have just been very sick

I found that line hilarious, too. unlike the other retcons, it doesn't matter at all

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The real reason he stopped appearing beyond the early seasons is doing the voice was particularly hard on Harry Shearer, like some of the Julie Kavner voices

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Then why is Marge still alive

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's very weird how they're so reluctant to replace the aging and/or dead voice actors who can't play their characters anymore, but maybe Julie Kavner and the other top-billing VAs have the most insanely expensive contracts to buy out or Fox is just lazy as hell and doesn't care.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, it's very weird how they're so reluctant to replace the aging and/or dead voice actors who can't play their characters anymore, but maybe Julie Kavner and the other top-billing VAs have the most insanely expensive contracts to buy out or Fox is just lazy as hell and doesn't care.

They've had a lot of very public disputes with the actors, but Fox has managed to get their salaries down over the last few years.

Past showrunners and writers have often said "Well, we figured we were on the last contract of the show so we thought we'd go crazy with it." I feel like management thinks about it that way too, and has been doing the last few contracts on the premise that they're canceling the show at the end.

They have a significant financial incentive to cancel the show. Their syndication contracts with the Fox affiliates are really bad because as long as they make new episodes, the contracts from the early '90s, made before the show was a monster hit, still hold.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hopefully Disney will put the show out of its misery. I'm quite sure they won't let it lie, but it's definitely a case where if it's going to be continued as a franchise, a reboot would be way better than the life support it's on now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can't wait for The Simpsons All Growed Up where Bart and Millhouse run a skate park together, Lisa is the deputy mayor, and Maggy does cosmetics demos on instantgram.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hopefully Disney will put the show out of its misery. I'm quite sure they won't let it lie, but it's definitely a case where if it's going to be continued as a franchise, a reboot would be way better than the life support it's on now.

A reboot would be better, but it'll never reach the heights of the classic years, so I'm not sure if it's worth doing.

The Simpsons was an excellent sitcom and a subversive sendup of family sitcoms. Family sitcoms aren't the huge cultural force these days that they were when the show started. So if you rebooted it, you could maybe get a good sitcom going, like Bob's Burgers level of quality or something, but you couldn't be the cultural counterbalance to anything. Family sitcoms are on the outs, so their formulas and tropes aren't good satire fodder.

Better to just kill it and let it fade away than throw modern trappings onto it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

Can't wait for The Simpsons All Growed Up where Bart and Millhouse run a skate park together, Lisa is the deputy mayor, and Maggy does cosmetics demos on instantgram.

It couldn't be any worse than it already is TBH

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I remember that too and I also remember it being oddly shoehorned in. IIRC that IS the joke. Like, he's just in a scene and that exchange happens.

I'm assuming that they needed to fill an extra couple of seconds or couldn't figure out how to end the scene and the writers had just been sitting on that joke.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

pooch516 posted:

I remember that too and I also remember it being oddly shoehorned in. IIRC that IS the joke. Like, he's just in a scene and that exchange happens.

I'm assuming that they needed to fill an extra couple of seconds or couldn't figure out how to end the scene and the writers had just been sitting on that joke.

It's an episode I just saw, where Marge writes a steamy romance novel with Homer as a terrible husband and Ned as the hot romantic guy, while the B plot is Homer acting like a crazy homeless person to get money to buy a gift for Marge, but then keeps going with it because of the money he makes.

But yeah it does seem to come out of nowhere.

Watching season 10 on there are a few characters that are new from that point that do appear a lot more, like the "YESSS" Guy, Lisa Nagel (Female executive) and weirdly enough Disco Stu.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pet peeve of mine but I can’t stand that the “eeyeeess guy” is considered to be a Simpsons character / invention

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Data Graham posted:

Pet peeve of mine but I can’t stand that the “eeyeeess guy” is considered to be a Simpsons character / invention

I grew up thinking it was an original thing just because I had no idea who Frank Nelson was and Simpsons didn't really do direct character + actor parodies that often. You get stuff like Azaria's Bronson but it's either used sparingly as the actual actor or as a much broader voice blueprint like for the sarcastic guy. Characters like Fat Tony and Wolfcastle have obvious influences but they're distinctly original characters, they never feel like they're using the exact script of the characters that inspired them.

It's a big difference between early Simpsons and Family Guy, which absolutely loves to take a character bit from something else and stick it virtually unchanged into their own scenes. Over the years it's basically become a fun part of the show since Family Guy has so many obvious, verbatim remakes of famous scenes that you basically have to accept them as parody and/or homage, but the vague or uncredited "references" always feel super hacky. I always think of that Jesus as a bad magician scene that was lifted wholesale from some old comedian's Tonight Show act and he sued over it. I generally don't know what makes writing "lazy" whenever people argue about it, but that sort of poo poo has gotta be up there.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm not going to say this was breaking point for me, but I remember a joke in an early 2000s Simpsons episode that goes something like this:

It's a flashback episode in the 70s. Homer, Lenny and Carl are at a quarry or something.

Lenny says, "Hey, have you heard about the Internet?"
"Oh yeah, what's that?"
Lenny points to his swim trunks, "It's an inner-netting that really feels comfortable!"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ror posted:

I always think of that Jesus as a bad magician scene that was lifted wholesale from some old comedian's Tonight Show act and he sued over it. I generally don't know what makes writing "lazy" whenever people argue about it, but that sort of poo poo has gotta be up there.

I had no idea about that, I thought it was an original joke. I've always hated the obscure "references" in Family Guy that are really just a joke lifted from something so old that most viewers will have no idea it's a reference.

When they actually try and put effort into a reference it can be pretty good though. Like the first episode they made after they were cancelled (North by North Quahog) was actually very funny and contained tons of solid references. The entire episode is a reference itself to the Aflred Hitchcock movie, from the cropduster attack scene to the fight on top of Mt Rushmore to the title of the episode itself.

And when you think about it The Simpsons referenced the same cropduster attack scene when Marge was remembering her childhood. But it was very random and unless someone had seen the 1959 movie it was from then they might think it was an original joke.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

And when you think about it The Simpsons referenced the same cropduster attack scene when Marge was remembering her childhood. But it was very random and unless someone had seen the 1959 movie it was from then they might think it was an original joke.

They do make a joke about the randomness of it at least

Frinkiac ain't giving me the caption for some reason but the entire setup is just Marge's mom saying "This is what a cornfield looks like"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PinheadSlim posted:

That movie was under 40 years old at that time so there were plenty of people who were a lot more familiar with it than we are now at 60 years out.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1263144036421890048?s=21

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

technically the bottom part that was cropped out of the 16:9 episodes was the lowest point of the simpsons...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Who gives a poo poo about missing out on one joke a season due to the cropping, where the gently caress are the commentary tracks?

e: What jokes were butchered by that anyways? I can literally only think of the one with the three types of duff coming from the same tube. I'm sure there must be more but I can't remember any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

One joke I just saw ruined was in Trouble with Trillions where Homer puts the knocked out FBI agent's hand on another agent's butt. Half of it is cropped out and the person I watched it with asked me what Homer did.

Honestly that's all I remember from burning thru seasons 2-9 on Disney+ and I'm dumb and didn't notice the cropping until then