Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I... don't see the stupid here? I mean, aside from the Floyd Rose. :v:

Imagine bloody snot sliding down a wall and at one point it vaguely resembles the shape of a Stratocaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

It's like a Dinky and a Strat were in a teleporter accident.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's been drinking Brain and Nerve Tonic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

it triggers an uncanny valley reflex in me because it looks like if pablo picasso lazily doodled a strat on a napkin

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Dave Matthews IS GOD!

Wife and I were having a great laugh about this. She's a lot more empathetic than me and she kept feeling bad for the seller, but, I mean, I just can't feel bad for a person who lacks self-awareness to that extent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Crosspost from the guitar thread, behold the Kramer Pacer

much more ergonomic if you have a very firm beer gut or some sort of cyst

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

It looks like a Strat with scoliosis.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

well why not posted:

much more ergonomic if you have a very firm beer gut or some sort of cyst

Someone needed to make the beer gut guitar.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Someone needed to make the beer gut guitar.

My Oakland Axe Factory has a comically oversized belly cut on the back. I’m a skinny dude so I kinda laughed at first, but it’s actually more comfortable than most flat-backed guitars I’ve owned.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

It's been drinking Brain and Nerve Tonic.

Mind the gigantism

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Crosspost from the guitar thread, behold the Kramer Pacer

It's like someone started designing an Explorer but ended up drawing a Strat over it. Explorers have the same weird off kilter thing, but you kinda don't notice it cause of the giant butt on top.

Slothful Bong posted:

My Oakland Axe Factory has a comically oversized belly cut on the back. I’m a skinny dude so I kinda laughed at first, but it’s actually more comfortable than most flat-backed guitars I’ve owned.

Spector basses are like this, apparently - Ned Steinberger designed the NS-1to be super comfy and they stuck with it. From memory, Steinberger originally trained furniture making.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Elissimpark posted:

It's like someone started designing an Explorer but ended up drawing a Strat over it. Explorers have the same weird off kilter thing, but you kinda don't notice it cause of the giant butt on top.

Explorers are also designed pretty well overall.

It's not just that one side on the Kramer is larger than the other, but larger in a way that doesn't make spacial sense. Your brain is expecting it to be symmetrical in the waist and it isn't at all.

All sorts of offests work just fine, but most of them have some line where you can figure out "halfsies" and this... doesn't.

kare
Mar 19, 2002
I'm not a doctor but I'm afraid that Kramer guitar might be pregnant

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

rickiep00h posted:

Explorers are also designed pretty well overall.

It's not just that one side on the Kramer is larger than the other, but larger in a way that doesn't make spacial sense. Your brain is expecting it to be symmetrical in the waist and it isn't at all.

All sorts of offests work just fine, but most of them have some line where you can figure out "halfsies" and this... doesn't.

Totally agree - I wasn't defending it, it's pretty special. Like the guitar version of Homer's car.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I remember seeing the singer from Hatesphere selling one or more guitars explicitly because his beer belly wasn't compatible with them. I want to say he said something about playing flying V's exclusively because of it...

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

I remember seeing the singer from Hatesphere selling one or more guitars explicitly because his beer belly wasn't compatible with them. I want to say he said something about playing flying V's exclusively because of it...

*searches Reverb for a Flying V.

edit: This video is great. When your boob hangs over your Strat, it's impossible to look cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoR-OcXIKWg

duodenum fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 19, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

edit: This video is great. When your boob hangs over your Strat, it's impossible to look cool.

I hate these people.

"Look at these guitars made for tiny little waify guys who weigh 120 lbs."
*shows completely normal guitars that work fine for anybody who isn't spherical*
*Is 370 lbs and can't access the volume control because his tit flap is hiding it*

The guy on the right is 30 years old, btw.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use my manboobs to hit the toggle switch on my Les Paul.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Guitar won't sit on your knee? Wear a strap.

Sincerely, a fat guy who has figured out how to hold a drat guitar

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

former glory posted:

Wife and I were having a great laugh about this. She's a lot more empathetic than me and she kept feeling bad for the seller, but, I mean, I just can't feel bad for a person who lacks self-awareness to that extent.

A couple more:

quote:

Real Deal Dave Matthews Drum Skin

The real deal here: Will surgically remove my Dave Matthews leg tattoo and sew onto the drum of your choice! One of a kind and extremely flexible!

quote:

Super Bowl XXVIII Ring Worn By Dave Matthews !!! - $35

This is an original Super Bowl XXVIII Dallas Cowboys championship ring that belonged to the greatest drummer of all time, Dave Matthews. He was given the ring by friend and avid fan Troy Aikman at Bonnaroo in 2014, where Dave wore it on stage as you can see in the photo.

quote:

Drummer boy quarter

I got this interesting "Drummer boy" quarter in some change a couple days ago. Upon closer inspection the figure appears to have the face of the well known drummer Dave Matthews. Upon even closer inspection, he appears to be playing a drum with his own face on it. Is this an error made by the mint or are these pretty common? I don't know. Regardless, I feel that it should go to either a fan of his, or a rare coin collector. If one were to have a copy of Whiplash on DVD, I'd also be willing to trade for that.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 20, 2020

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I hate these people.

"Look at these guitars made for tiny little waify guys who weigh 120 lbs."
*shows completely normal guitars that work fine for anybody who isn't spherical*
*Is 370 lbs and can't access the volume control because his tit flap is hiding it*

The guy on the right is 30 years old, btw.

So, you looked past all the self deprecating humor and outlandish silliness like "bacon flavored" and "fans for my sweaty manboobs" and THIS is your conclusion? I pity your family, they're stuck with your humorless, bitter rear end.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Guitar won't sit on your knee? Wear a strap.

Sincerely, a fat guy who has figured out how to hold a drat guitar

Just like your belt can always float below the belly the strap can always rise above.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Two words: guitar suspenders

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got a full V and I never gave a thought to how the ergonomics would affect my right calf before I sat down with it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

kirk windstein never seemed to have this problem

maybe the solution is making cool music and then you can be as short and fat and gnome-like as you want

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I got a full V and I never gave a thought to how the ergonomics would affect my right calf before I sat down with it.

Weirdly I just got a King V and it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever owned. I actually want to try a Rhoads now because I think it would work for me even better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Two words: guitar suspenders
That's what Tom Araya did, right? He did it for a few Slayer tours while he was recovering from back surgery and then he pretty much did it for all his basses ever since.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loved my King V. Even the cheap ones feel great. And then I sold it because I needed money. It might still be hanging at CME in fact.

Edit: inre "suspenders," Marissa Paternoster from Screaming Females started using a belt instead of a strap a couple years ago and it certainly looks rad af.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 19, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
steve albini wraps a strap around his waist like a belt

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

So, you looked past all the self deprecating humor and outlandish silliness like "bacon flavored" and "fans for my sweaty manboobs" and THIS is your conclusion? I pity your family, they're stuck with your humorless, bitter rear end.

*is fat*
"Hello, I am fat."
"Whew, that was a close one. Good thing being openly aware of my problem negates it. Oh and that also means nobody is allowed to criticize anything offensive I do or say relative to the subject."

For the record, their fatness is less off-putting than their Joe Wal-Mart "humor" about it.

eyyyyyy BACON, amiright? That's what fat people like, and WE'RE fat! Get it?

thread content:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 20, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Muppets On PCP posted:

steve albini wraps a strap around his waist like a belt
Albini creepy fanboy reporting:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i get that it's self-deprecating but i got a double chuckle from:

a) guessing (correctly) they'd be super slow-talking americans
b) trying to figure out if the sugary drinks were part of the bit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think I asked before, but how do ZZ Top spin their guitars? I assume its some sort of weird-rear end harness thing under their clothes.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Pelvic implant of sorts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

"The guitars are attached to our belt buckles. It's a rotary electrical contact and strap mount. A hole is bored in the back of the guitar at the balancing point and the device is mounted there. Oh yeah, you gotta look out for that thing coming back around. Get your head and neck out of the way or else it'll say hello in an unfashionable fashion."

It’s a bit of a peek behind the curtain but the answer is pretty neat. It’s such a funny and fitting move for that band.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LNkko6JZZ8

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't believe a daily newspaper comic strip is putting me on blast like this

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."