Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

During the Yugoslavian conflict in 1999 a lazy officer kept sending F-117 stealth aircraft on the same flight plan, despite doctrine prohibiting this. The Yugoslavian army noticed this and figured out when the F-117s were out based on radio tower interference, and were able to shoot one down with a virtually obsolete surface-to-air missile. The plane crashed mostly intact and parts of it were sold to Russia and China, delivering incalculable damage to the US' stealth program.

Wikipedia has a slightly different explanation but I remember it happening as I wrote above

I don't know if it's true or not but there are rumors that the Chinese embassy there was not blown up by accident but rather because they were storing parts of the F-117 there pending transfer to China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

During the Yugoslavian conflict in 1999 a lazy officer kept sending F-117 stealth aircraft on the same flight plan, despite doctrine prohibiting this. The Yugoslavian army noticed this and figured out when the F-117s were out based on radio tower interference, and were able to shoot one down with a virtually obsolete surface-to-air missile. The plane crashed mostly intact and parts of it were sold to Russia and China, delivering incalculable damage to the US' stealth program.

iirc the SAM crew sent postcards to the F-117 pilot for years after, "sorry", "we didnt know it was invisible" etc.

ed: has there ever been a twitter war involving a sam crew

Syd Midnight has issued a correction as of 18:06 on May 19, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hand Knit posted:

And then a few weeks back the mayor where that all happened asked the Mohawk to erect blockades to keep out coronavirus-infected travelers trying to escape from the city.

I didn't even know that, amazing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Volcott posted:

And they blew it up except poorly so the Chinese or whoever basically got an intact tail section.

(Which, as we all know, is where the largest amount of stealth is stored.)

how did they find the tail section if they are stealth moran, they are invisible

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

That guy who said "get me a lawyer, dawg" and the state supreme court decided this didn't count as invoking counsel because he could have meant a dog-lawyer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

zegermans posted:

That guy who said "get me a lawyer, dawg" and the state supreme court decided this didn't count as invoking counsel because he could have meant a dog-lawyer.

the louisiana supreme court decided 6-1 that he requested his miranda rights too blackly to receive them

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the louisiana supreme court decided 6-1 that he requested his miranda rights too blackly to receive them

They will pay damages to him, but in doll-hairs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

They will pay damages to him, but in doll-hairs

funnily enough louisiana, who has the highest rate of incarceration in the country (and thus, the world), basically made itself immune to stuff like wrongful conviction and imprisonment and due process violations and stuff

instead there's just a state fund they pay you out from, that's ofc severely limited to like $100k, which they will then try to plea you out of anyway. so it's not unusual for people freed by the Innocence Project to just be let out of angola state prison with nothing

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

funnily enough louisiana, who has the highest rate of incarceration in the country (and thus, the world), basically made itself immune to stuff like wrongful conviction and imprisonment and due process violations and stuff

instead there's just a state fund they pay you out from, that's ofc severely limited to like $100k, which they will then try to plea you out of anyway. so it's not unusual for people freed by the Innocence Project to just be let out of angola state prison with nothing

also, they run cotton plantations for their prison slaves, who are then not compensated if they're wrongfully convicted. The civil war was 150 years ago.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
angola state prison used to be a cotton plantation named "angola" after the country its slaves came from

louisiana is a hosed up place

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

zegermans posted:

yet they didnt get him a dog lawyer either

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

taqueso posted:

yet they didnt get him a dog lawyer either

Southpaw and Respectable Lawyer are both easily reachable

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lol the rock and john cena knew that osama bin laden had been killed before the entire country & the vast majority of the US's government

and also during that killing the US accidentally revealed the existence of stealth helicopters because it loving crashed. jesus christ lol it never stops being funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6maL6gq6qME

“Caught and compromised to a permanent end,” what the gently caress? Are you not allowed to say “killed” in wrestling?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

angola state prison used to be a cotton plantation named "angola" after the country its slaves came from

louisiana is a hosed up place

IIRC its still an ACTIVE plantation as well. They make the prisoners pick cotton.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

“Caught and compromised to a permanent end,” what the gently caress? Are you not allowed to say “killed” in wrestling?

To be fair its wrestling and “Caught and compromised to a permanent end” sounds pretty badass

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Feldegast42 posted:

IIRC its still an ACTIVE plantation as well. They make the prisoners pick cotton.

To be fair its wrestling and “Caught and compromised to a permanent end” sounds pretty badass

They run a rodeo at Angola every year where the prisoners engage in dangerous activities for the chance to win perks like not having to work the fields in 110 degree weather.

If you’ve ever seen the Jackass bit where they play poker in a pen with an enraged bull, I saw that at the Angola prison rodeo before I saw it in Jackass.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Syd Midnight posted:

iirc the SAM crew sent postcards to the F-117 pilot for years after, "sorry", "we didnt know it was invisible" etc.

fuckin' owned

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They run a rodeo at Angola every year where the prisoners engage in dangerous activities for the chance to win perks like not having to work the fields in 110 degree weather.

If you’ve ever seen the Jackass bit where they play poker in a pen with an enraged bull, I saw that at the Angola prison rodeo before I saw it in Jackass.

the convict rodeo is gladiatorial as all hell and would be considered a human rights abuse by the UN if it wasn't perpetrated by freedomland

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the entire American incarceration system is gladiatorial as all hell and would be considered a human rights abuse by the UN if it wasn't perpetrated by freedomland

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

I mean, there's a lot of bending of the knee, and they're desperately trying not to annoy the playground bully, but you can tell the ECHR does consider the US prison system inhumane:

Aswat v UK

Soering v UK

E: oh no my links

PatentPending has issued a correction as of 20:58 on May 19, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

no, its just that wwe is run by an insane control freak who insists on micromanaging everything

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I remember a story about Angola a few years back that looked into some of the individuals and found descendants of slaves picking cotton while supervised by descendants of slaveowners.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Elon Musk dressed as the Marquis de Sade

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

This is not an exaggeration. This picture is from 2011.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GWBBQ posted:

the prison guards are referred to as "freemen" there, it's quite explicit

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sure this is new content but tomorrow after we've all aged another year it will belong here.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1262800205293879296

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The dudes who watch The Matrix and their takeaway is to act, dress like, and have the same opinions as Agent Smith.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Syd Midnight posted:

Please source this because it sounds amazing

zegermans posted:

The civil war was 150 years ago.

Was it?

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 00:29 on May 20, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Stop making GBS threads yourself.”

“You can’t make me, MOM!”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please source this because it sounds amazing

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20209770

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Platystemon posted:

“Stop making GBS threads yourself.”

“You can’t make me, MOM!”

covid thread title plz

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUmHBeGfaE

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The dudes who watch The Matrix and their takeaway is to act, dress like, and have the same opinions as Agent Smith.

I rewatched the Matrix recently and ended up feeling bad for Smith. All he wants is for the humans to stop killing the planet even more than they already have so he can get back to doing whatever it is machines do for fun...

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Syd Midnight posted:

wasn't there like the equivalent a facebook live of the sam crew shooting down mh17

also christ that reminds me of the time someone facebook live streamed murdering people, on enough occasions I don't even remember all of them

not really a lol, more like a "lol gently caress this gay earth"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

not really a lol, more like a "lol gently caress this gay earth"

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Lmao this is like Grover Norquist becoming radicalized because his father would steal bites of his ice cream as a child

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GWBBQ posted:

I think there might be one white guy in there, if I squint.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

thats cotton

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

taqueso posted:

thats cotton

Life got hard for him after the ocho eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
presidential candidates choking down regional garbage food ON CAMERA is used to be one of my favorite parts