Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A nerd's thoughts on Star Trek? Now this I gotta see!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911697&userid=34215

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:ohdear:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol that ending montage sums it up

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Dear lord 122 123 posts in just this Star Trek thread. And I have like four others bookmarked...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I win. Suck it, losers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think it's like golf where the fewer posts the better. Except the best is zero, not one.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
More posts means more power.

And I've only got the one thread bookmarked :colbert:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

haha i never saw this

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

More posts means more power.

And I've only got the one thread bookmarked :colbert:

Pictured: Lizard Combatant posting in this thread:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Pictured: Lizard Combatant posting in this thread:

Pictured: Brawnfire posting in this thread:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

haha i never saw this

you're loving with me, right?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ramadu posted:

haha i never saw this

Where is this from?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tighclops posted:

you're loving with me, right?

Senor Tron posted:

Where is this from?

from the RLM video. They kept showing all the botnet tweets with those exact tags and then that one

haha this is a good video and the end montage blew my mind. I forgot just how much drinking and violence there was.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 19, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

from the RLM video. They kept showing all the botnet tweets with those exact tags and then that one

can someone please explain this to me like I am stupid, I suspect I understand but this is so hosed I can't be sure

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Are those storyboards in the video real?

They can't be, right? Like, the RLM guys comissioned them and it's not something CBS had made and decided to give us Mass Effect: Picard instead, right?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

can someone please explain this to me like I am stupid, I suspect I understand but this is so hosed I can't be sure

It is a haha to explain all of those inexplicable crying #PicardFinale tweets (which actually do seem to be real from a quick twitter search.)

I'm not even sure how anyone would know to use #PicardFinale. The episodes premiere at 3AM EST for whatever reason so it isn't like you are going to get it trending organically since everyone will be watching it at different times.

8one6 posted:

They can't be, right? Like, the RLM guys comissioned them and it's not something CBS had made and decided to give us Mass Effect: Picard instead, right?

Yes they commissioned them.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 19, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda felt the middle of the review dragged on with minutiae about individual scenes but the end was quite good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Still disappointed that RLM didn't understand what was happening in the bag knock out scene. They put the bag on so she wouldn't be able to prepare herself for what was coming, which is shown as a heavy punch to her head. Which she is able to stop with her android powers.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

"if you want to watch a smart show about synths, just watch westworld."

im not sure if that's graded on a curve shaped more like a cliff, or if mikes being sincere and needs a wellness check

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think Isa Briones did a good job on the show, I don't get why RLM think she's the worst actor on the show - it is admittedly her first big role so she can grow but it's not like TNG was a world-class actors club either.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah she was just fine, elf guy was terrible

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paper Lion posted:

:thunk:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TBH that's the worst plinkett review I've ever seen. Turned it off halfway through.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Plinkett going on and on about how data was destroyed when they mentioned that the head at daystrom institute is b4's is a really weird way to flex on the show.

I think sometimes he made points but the middle was just a bunch of boring poo poo, yeah i think they leaned too hard on action scenes but i don't think nitpicking them is really the answer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

im not sure if that's graded on a curve shaped more like a cliff, or if mikes being sincere and needs a wellness check

They've just started watching season one, so legitimate opinion assuming that's where they're still at.

e: also agree, the review started out okay, but once they'd got through that initial wave of 'the plot doesn't make sense' there was lots of stretching things out and nitpicking. Picard is bad because the plot makes no sense and they've accidentally created a world in which Hitler is right and the Jews (Androids) really do have the power to destroy nations and a reasonable person can conclude 'oh poo poo they really are dangerous'. The morals of the show are all terrible.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 19, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Paper Lion posted:

I mean, compared to Picard Westworld is a very smart synth show yes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ramadu posted:

:laffo:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

8one6 posted:

the signature in the top right on the sketches is "Freddie Williams II", a comic book artist friend of theirs that has been in several of their videos.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ramadu posted:

Yeah i mean it's not really a wrong statement it's just kinda hilarious in retrospect. Even s3 westworld is smarter than Picard.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Alchenar posted:

They've just started watching season one, so legitimate opinion assuming that's where they're still at.

e: also agree, the review started out okay, but once they'd got through that initial wave of 'the plot doesn't make sense' there was lots of stretching things out and nitpicking. Picard is bad because the plot makes no sense and they've accidentally created a world in which Hitler is right and the Jews (Androids) really do have the power to destroy nations and a reasonable person can conclude 'oh poo poo they really are dangerous'. The morals of the show are all terrible.

"Killing minorities is only wrong if they're helpless."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

"Killing minorities is only wrong if they're helpless."
Nobody's saying that dude. The problem is that you're hinting at an idea that can actually be expressed as an actual theme. It's literally the theme of the Wonder Woman movie because that movie involves a character going through an arc and challenges that express that idea.

The bigger problem is that Picard doesn't have the bluntness of Kirk telling a crewman to shut the gently caress up for being space-racist or the nuance of Quark calling out the bullshit of Ferangi being seen as unevolved because of their embracing of capitalism despite never engaging in slavery or genocide in their history like humans.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 19, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GALACTIC TREATY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I made the top 20 list! :woop:

...I made the top 20 list. :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I enjoyed the RLM video but the last five minutes or so are spot loving on.

Man it would be cool if Strange New Worlds actually brings back the optimism.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the RLM video too, but I don't understand why they keep the Plinkett character when they never reference the serial killer stuff anymore.

Mike is basically just reading the script in a stupid voice now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so with a lot of blah-sounding episode skipping, I’m finally at the Borg stuff in Voyager. I have to say — compared to the rest of the episodes this is pretty decent. In a vacuum, not looking at the rest of Star Trek this stuff pretty fun to watch. When I look at it in the grand scheme of Star Trek it’s still pretty bland and disappointing how neutered and wishy-washy Borg stuff is now.

The more they try to focus on the Borg the dumber it gets. Scenes aboard a Borg sphere: “Ship detected change course” — why are you saying this? Why is there a red alert klaxon? For a centrally thought-linked species they sure are a fan of their control panels and verbal communication.

It makes for “good” TV in a very narrow sense, but now they’re not scary they’re just dumb. Anyway, two more seasons to go. Hopefully less episodes to skip going forward.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SimonChris posted:

I enjoyed the RLM video too, but I don't understand why they keep the Plinkett character when they never reference the serial killer stuff anymore.

Mike is basically just reading the script in a stupid voice now.

The voice slips in and out too. It's just Mike being extremely mad.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I enjoyed the RLM video but the last five minutes or so are spot loving on.

Man it would be cool if Strange New Worlds actually brings back the optimism.

Optimism is thinking that the same group of people that made the last two shows are even capable of doing something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

introducing a Borg Queen after that long without one and giving it so much focus broke immersion. It was transparent she was only there because the creators or executives thought that the viewership needed an enemy with a face, but a face representing a hivemind was a much more boring concept, like a lot of the other ways they changed the Borg. For anyone who has seen all of the She-Ra reboot, Horde Prime was better in the role of Borg Queen, except with using assimilation as a temporary conquering tool before genocide, instead of assimilating distinctiveness for the functionality of its diversity