Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

megane posted:

In case anyone's wondering, you're not really missing anything. The Reapers and Skirmishers hate each other, so you drag them into a meeting and shoot Lost together until they like each other. The Assassin shows up and captures the Skirmisher guy, so you have to go rescue him later.

I mean, it is a great mission, and a good introduction to the Reapers, Skirmishers, Lost and Chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Gothsheep posted:

I mean, it is a great mission, and a good introduction to the Reapers, Skirmishers, Lost and Chosen.

This LP made me start replaying XCOM 2 and I got so lucky on that mission. The assassin stopped moving next to a car and a claymore and grenade ended that problem. The first time I played it it felt like I spent ages trying to pin her down in one of the buildings.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kw0134 posted:

I am not sure how the entire Star Trek: Next Gen reunion occurred but it's funny as hell.

Wasn’t anything for them to do with Gargoyles off the air and ruined by Disney turning it into a Saturday morning cartoon.

...I should rewatch gargoyles

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

You might want to prioritize the warlock, that's the most dangerous combo of strengths I think I've ever seen on him.
Eh, I disagree. General is never anything to write home about because lol basic Advent troopers. His other summons are more dangerous, so him spending a turn summoning scrubs is just fine. Mechlord and Beastmaster are scarier because they bring in big blocks of HP. Brutal is pretty meaningless too, because you're going to be rolling with mindshields/solace in his territory anyway. Regeneration is worse at lower levels, but once you have plasma, burning down HP isn't bad. Revenge is not optimal, but only gets real bad with Soul Steal or Low Profile.

IMO, Planewalker/Low Profile/Revenge/Kinetic Plating/Melee Immune in various combinations are the worst.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, I disagree. General is never anything to write home about because lol basic Advent troopers. His other summons are more dangerous, so him spending a turn summoning scrubs is just fine. Mechlord and Beastmaster are scarier because they bring in big blocks of HP. Brutal is pretty meaningless too, because you're going to be rolling with mindshields/solace in his territory anyway. Regeneration is worse at lower levels, but once you have plasma, burning down HP isn't bad. Revenge is not optimal, but only gets real bad with Soul Steal or Low Profile.

IMO, Planewalker/Low Profile/Revenge/Kinetic Plating/Melee Immune in various combinations are the worst.

It's mostly that he has revenge and brutal, which means everything he does saps your squad's will, which makes them easier to mind control. Brutal is an incredibly dangerous thing for him to have, and him getting free procs of it when you miss him makes him extremely dangerous.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Sure, but I don't think I've ever seen the Warlock fail a mind control attempt on an un-shielded soldier. Basically, it's likely he's going to succeed whether or not you're suffering a will malus, so getting another will hit is not that important if everyone is going to be mind-shielded or solace'd.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

Wasn’t anything for them to do with Gargoyles off the air and ruined by Disney turning it into a Saturday morning cartoon.

...wait, was Gargoyles ever something before the saturday morning cartoon?

edit: is there a distinction between that and it being a weekday afternoon cartoon?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

...wait, was Gargoyles ever something before the saturday morning cartoon?

edit: is there a distinction between that and it being a weekday afternoon cartoon?

Memory of like 13 year old me here, but seasons one and two of Gargoyles were weekday afternoons and superb. A cartoon, sure, but a serious one with compelling characters and story.

When it got moved to Saturday it stopped making sense, and everything got dumbed down to the point of incoherence. My assumption at the time was the demographic of who watched Saturday morning cartoons was younger than weekday afternoons, and ABC was just trying to match.

Edit: ah, I’m wrong. It got canceled after two seasons and the Saturday morning show was ABC buying the property but without the writing team. They weren’t pandering to a younger audience, they were trying to reanimate a corpse without any understanding of how it worked.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/gargoyles-disneys-ambitious-but-underrated-animated-series-from-the-90s/

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

FairGame posted:

Pretty sure you were with the rookies in the abandoned structures that I ignored. Don't think you're getting into this campaign for a while, if at all. Sorry!

That's fine, all part of the RNA.

Hopefully, we didn't get overrun by the Lost or whatever?

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 18, 2020

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Its more of a cell than a tube. One of the nicer cells i've been in.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I would have loved to see Evil Munin pop reaper and start slicing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Regarding the Refraction Field (and the Overdrive Serum) they are single use items that are removed from inventory when used. Refraction Field seems like an odd one to have be disposable, but :shrug: At least Overdrive Serum, as moderately powerful as it is, makes sense. +5 Armor and +5 Mobility and immunity to mental effects for 2 turns seems fairly potent, though at this stage of the game, that extra armor probably isn't enough.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bloody hell, that Egg Sack has a lot of HP. How quickly does it hatch?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Holy poo poo, resistance fighters, save some aliens for the rest of us. I hope you brought one of those guys back to the Avenger and stuck him in the GTC.

Unrelated, the Warlock is complete bullshit on those missions. Due to turn order, he summons spectral zombies, they prime rupture, then you suck up your chair cushion while you hope the resistance guys don't kill the primed zombie next to your troops. Repeat.

Munin posted:

Bloody hell, that Egg Sack has a lot of HP. How quickly does it hatch?
The egg produces one 'lid the turn after it forms, then a second the turn after that, and dies. So the max is two, and they're weaker than normal lids. That doesn't really help if the lids decide to go after civilians, because unlike resistance fighters, civilians always die in one hit.

eating only apples posted:

I would have loved to see Evil Munin pop reaper and start slicing
The worst is that evil/MC'd troops retain bladestorm, and you need to be extremely careful, because your own troops' pathing does not respect it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

On legendary, egg sacs drop 3 lids, but still 1 per turn. Doesn't seem like a lid birthed from an egg gets to attack that turn so it might actually be better to ignore it.

As a matter of course I won't ever do that, mind you. Lids are disgusting and horrifying and should always die.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

On legendary, egg sacs drop 3 lids, but still 1 per turn. Doesn't seem like a lid birthed from an egg gets to attack that turn so it might actually be better to ignore it.

As a matter of course I won't ever do that, mind you. Lids are disgusting and horrifying and should always die.

fairgame eat the eggs

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
According to the clock we were scanning for resources two minutes away from the Black Market*. Wonder what they though of the ship just hanging around basically right over their heads.

(*Although there was some weird bug where the time advanced quite a bit, but as soon as we actually go to the Market it rolled back to T+00:02:00)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Chuu posted:

(*Although there was some weird bug where the time advanced quite a bit, but as soon as we actually go to the Market it rolled back to T+00:02:00)

This has always happened in XCOM 2, the travel times don't remotely line up to the "real" time, and then it corrects when you land. I don't know why or if anyone's ever tried to fix it, but time doesn't matter, only the time you see onscreen matters. Apparently.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Unrelated, the Warlock is complete bullshit on those missions. Due to turn order, he summons spectral zombies, they prime rupture, then you suck up your chair cushion while you hope the resistance guys don't kill the primed zombie next to your troops. Repeat.

Or just runs into the middle of the big cluster of civilians, who don't run away, so you'll like like 4-5 civilians and there is absolutely nothing you could have done about it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Or Gatekeepers. If you reveal one on a retaliation mission, I hope you can one-turn it, because if not, welp, it's gonna gateway the nearest cluster of civilians. Fortunately, they usually move towards your squad on reveal, but not always...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ahhh. After the line bugging me for ages, I'm pretty sure Vaughn is saying "pas de souci, chef", or "no problem, chief".

Also of course it's taking me a while to get across the map, I'm not in such good shape right now. When I was recovering from that covert op and you guys said you were going out for a "secret smoke", I figured we'd need extra snacks around for afterwards.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 19, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Could the colored lights in my cell please be replaced? It's burning out my retinas, and making my hair look grey.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Let's just knock out the last little bit of that mission.

As a heads-up, tomorrow's update is going to be text-only. While the previous mission that got eaten I was able to go back and replay because there was an in-combat save thanks to a crash, didn't get so lucky this time around.

The play session I would have uploaded tomorrow got completely eaten, so the mission at the end of this video in this post is totally gone. I'll tell you about it. The mission after that got mostly eaten. Sorry!

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

What caused that surprise reverse-ambush activation was the fact that when you had Din shoot the node, the shot clipped through the edge of a wall, destroying the piece of terrain that had been blocking your lancer from having step-out view on the aliens.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Except for when you "gift" them the perfect grenade like that, it's pretty hilarious to me how useless purifiers are. They just consistently fire that flamethrower and affect literally no-one.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dancer posted:

Except for when you "gift" them the perfect grenade like that, it's pretty hilarious to me how useless purifiers are. They just consistently fire that flamethrower and affect literally no-one.

The AI for ranged attacker seems, for most cases sensibly, to be set to maximize cover and for the unit to be as far as possible whilst still being able to get a decent percentage shot. The short range of the flamethrower requires aggressive movement though. The current settings just gets the purifier to more to the edge of flamethrower range and then burn down one unit.

Flamethrower usage should have a grenade style maximizing the number of targets logic rather than being treated by the AI like just another gun like it seems to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Munin posted:

The AI for ranged attacker seems, for most cases sensibly, to be set to maximize cover and for the unit to be as far as possible whilst still being able to get a decent percentage shot. The short range of the flamethrower requires aggressive movement though. The current settings just gets the purifier to more to the edge of flamethrower range and then burn down one unit.

Flamethrower usage should have a grenade style maximizing the number of targets logic rather than being treated by the AI like just another gun like it seems to.

Just give it grenade targeting logic.

But also, that Chosen assault keeps getting put off, lol

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, we ran 2 missions between 12/21 and 12/25. The first one got entirely eaten--it was the VIP kidnap that we got at the end of part 42.

The VIP kidnap: everything was going swimmingly until we found the VIP who was standing right next to a Gatekeeper. I, uh...forgot that Gatekeepers explode when they die. So we won the mission, but since we can't extract intel from a corpse, we only got supplies. Not the end of the world; we still have enough intel to contact West Africa. Just not enough to buy those alloys and elerium in the black market, unless we spike a datapad/datacache as an item going forward.

Then, on 12/25, the Avatar counter block hit full. So I went out to go do a facility--one without an Alien Ruler warning. I didn't realize until the second half of the mission that my recording was busted, so that's where we'll pick things up when I post tomorrow.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wayfinding is unironically one of the best things they added in xcom 2 imo. You rarely use it but when you do it's the greatest thing on earth.

e: lmao the warlock got planeswalker. I told you bro! I told you about that warlock!!

ee: the war suit is what makes grenadiers better than sparks imo; you get the two grenades, plus the heavy weapon, plus a third grenade that can be two grenades with the perk. that's five explosions!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 19, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Wayfinding is unironically one of the best things they added in xcom 2 imo. You rarely use it but when you do it's the greatest thing on earth.

e: lmao the warlock got planeswalker. I told you bro! I told you about that warlock!!

ee: the war suit is what makes grenadiers better than sparks imo; you get the two grenades, plus the heavy weapon, plus a third grenade that can be two grenades with the perk. that's five explosions!

The WAR suit is also where I think Blast Padding starts to become not a garbage pickup. Because sources of armor stack, you can have 1 from Blast Padding, 2 from WAR Suit, and 1 more from a vest item, giving a Grenadier 4 armor, plus 2 grenades and a heavy weapon. Give them the Shredder or Flamer heavy weapon and they become a really solid frontliner for your group, with the armor and heavy weapon potential of a Spark, but able to take cover and also lob grenades.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, planeswalker is just the worst. At least he doesn't have low profile, which would make him nearly unhittable. An experience with this convinced me of the value of guaranteed damage, which is why I take Hail of Bullets on grenadiers and anyone who rolls it cross-class. Does Void Conduit work on Chosen?

I think the grenadier power only doubles the grenade in the extra slot, so four explosions? Can you give grenadiers a grenade in their second item slot? I don't think I've ever tried.

Gothsheep posted:

The WAR suit is also where I think Blast Padding starts to become not a garbage pickup. Because sources of armor stack, you can have 1 from Blast Padding, 2 from WAR Suit, and 1 more from a vest item, giving a Grenadier 4 armor, plus 2 grenades and a heavy weapon. Give them the Shredder or Flamer heavy weapon and they become a really solid frontliner for your group, with the armor and heavy weapon potential of a Spark, but able to take cover and also lob grenades.
Pretty much how I run them, but ammo>vest imo.

What really puts them over for me is Salvo. Being able to shoot two grenades/heavy weapons in a turn, or grenade cover and shoot with one soldier, has helped me out of some sticky situations.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 20, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can you give grenadiers a grenade in their second item slot?
You can't, so the only way to get 4 booms is with EXO/WAR armor taking up your second item slot.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sorry about this.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Am I dead?

Goddamnit, you put me in that WAR suit and made me an honorary grenadier! You know what happens to those!

(Seriously, what happened? Berserker Queen? Bad activation?)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

Am I dead?

Goddamnit, you put me in that WAR suit and made me an honorary grenadier! You know what happens to those!

(Seriously, what happened? Berserker Queen? Bad activation?)

SilentSnack dropped the blaster launcher on that bombed out gas station, putting an ADVENT priest in sustain and severely wounding another. You took cover (full cover!) behind SilentSnack and shot the surviving priest, who ALSO went into sustain.

Both priests on their turn, instead of doing mind bullshit, shot at you in full cover. As did 2 other generally crappy alien units. Somehow, every single shot hit.

There turned out to be TWO sectopods on that mission. Neither one ever touched you (the second one touched up SilentSnack pretty good, as you see in the video). It was just an incredibly surprising death.

I wasn't really expecting a turn where I faced four shots (I figured those priests would either be dead, or do some silly mind stuff), and I prioritized everything except the ADVENT units because they never hit anything, and I figured they'd aim at SilentSnack with its lower defense (but higher armor, that'd basically just shrug everything off.)

FairGame fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 20, 2020

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Uh, is it just Youtube being weird or does part 2 of episode 42 miss the capitations?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach posted:

Uh, is it just Youtube being weird or does part 2 of episode 42 miss the capitations?

Both, apparently. I unpublished and re-published the captions and now the option's there. Changed nothing else. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

Sorry about this.

This is some top-tier in media res right here.

RIP, good buddy.