Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did Dr Doom actually help out or did he just show up to weep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Because I had a pun to make and also I didn't see it.

I thought it was a good pun that summed up the stupid thing without continuing to litigate it, but that's probably about enough, folks!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Did Dr Doom actually help out or did he just show up to weep

I like to think they all showed up just to point and laugh. Also, I think they retconned it to be a Doombot. Because that somehow makes it less stupid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like to imagine that there are not actually any doombots at all and Dr Doom just likes having an excuse if he forgets someone's name or gets caught in a lie

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I like to think they all showed up just to point and laugh. Also, I think they retconned it to be a Doombot. Because that somehow makes it less stupid.

Ah yes, Doom's famous crying robots.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AceOfFlames posted:

Ah yes, Doom's famous crying robots.

Leaking hydraulic fluid

Alternatively Doom was crying because all it would have taken to beat the FF was fly a plane at their building and he never thought of that

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dr Doom literally blasted the fantastic fours skyscraper headquarters into space or some comic book bullshit back in the wacky days

Hell Juggernaut leveled the entire WTC at one point!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is continuity really that big a thing in comic books? Just seems like something like that could be shrugged off in a year without an explanation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kingpin is the only one in that trio that would care and it would be more because they broke his stuff. So he would go after Osama with his laser cane.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sunswipe posted:

Edit: And for any superhero you see do something odd, or die, substitute "Life Model Decoy" from SHIELD.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: And for any superhero you see do something odd, or die, substitute "Life Model Decoy" from SHIELD.

"I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

And ten years prior to this, the Juggernaut punched down a WTC tower..

At this point, though, thanks to the Marvel Sliding Timescale, the Fantastic Four's rocket trip initiates the modern superhero age sometime around 2005.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless!"

"Wait a minute... Xena can't fly!"

"I told you, I'm not Xena!"

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Push El Burrito posted:

Kingpin is the only one in that trio that would care and it would be more because they broke his stuff. So he would go after Osama with his laser cane.

I remember talking with a friend about this back when and we decided Magneto would be mad about any innocent mutants who died working there.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It seems like if Magneto gave a poo poo at all he would have shown up and held the steel in the towers together.

Unless jet fuel didn’t melt the steel beams :tinfoil:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Moonlight posted:

It seems like if Magneto gave a poo poo at all he would have shown up and held the steel in the towers together.

Unless jet fuel didn’t melt the steel beams :tinfoil:

I’ve always suspected the Juggernaut-Bitch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I remember talking with a friend about this back when and we decided Magneto would be mad about any innocent mutants who died working there.

I kind of figure that Doom wouldn't approve, partly because it's rather senseless violence with high collateral and he prefers something rather more direct against the people he hates (so he probably didn't mind the attack on the Pentagon), but also because he seems to generally be a ruler that values the people to some degree. So he could reasonably be pretty upset that so many people died before knowing the glory of a Doomocracy.

Basically, there are perfectly valid reasons Doom would hate the WTC attack, but those reasons aren't especially selfless or empathetic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing that won't age well: the first season of the Batwoman TV series because the lead actress has quit and now they have to recast.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

Thing that won't age well: the first season of the Batwoman TV series because the lead actress has quit and now they have to recast.

Jeopardy literally just had a clue about her lol

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Columbo was a good cop.

Oldish post but Columbo is as much a cop as Zeus was a swan.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This reminds me of the GI Joe special where GI Joe and Cobra team up to stop a drug dealer because even Cobra Commander is disgusted and horrified at the scourge of drugs being sold to white suburban children.

Or one of the old DC/Marvel crossovers where Joker and Red Skull are about to do a team up, until Red heils Hitler and Joker goes off about how he's a proud American.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

the_steve posted:

Or one of the old DC/Marvel crossovers where Joker and Red Skull are about to do a team up, until Red heils Hitler and Joker goes off about how he's a proud American.

Was that before or after The Rocketeer had the same sequence?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arbite posted:

Was that before or after The Rocketeer had the same sequence?

Several years after.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

I think like everything else, the Joker reacted that way because it was the funniest option. Mind you, the Nazis aren't well-known for their well treatment of the mentally ill, or their sense of humour.

In general this kind of thing makes team-ups hard for the Red Skull. Doom is ethnically Roma, Magneto is a jewish Holocaust survivor, Kingpin is all-American capitalism and so on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think like everything else, the Joker reacted that way because it was the funniest option. Mind you, the Nazis aren't well-known for their well treatment of the mentally ill, or their sense of humour.

In general this kind of thing makes team-ups hard for the Red Skull. Doom is ethnically Roma, Magneto is a jewish Holocaust survivor, Kingpin is all-American capitalism and so on.

I assume everyone’s seen this but

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, I don't think Joker did it for the lolz.

I mean, beating a teenager to death with a crowbar is one thing, you're supposed to do that when you're a dangerous psychopath, but once you heil a Hitler, you're pretty much stuck forever as a Nazi, and that's a line too far.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Beating that teenager to death with a crowbar was democracy, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the gimmick of that comic was that each issue was written like it was from a different period in comics history, so that was a goofy 50s story with a silly, non-murderer version of the Joker who just wants to do pranks and pull boners etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think the gimmick of that comic was that each issue was written like it was from a different period in comics history, so that was a goofy 50s story with a silly, non-murderer version of the Joker who just wants to do pranks and pull boners etc.

Eh, funnier when the Joker is so unpredictable that he'll steal a kid's report card or kill his family in front of him depending on what he feels like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something good with the Harley Quinn cartoon is that the Joker actually makes jokes, not just random crimes. Some of them are even actually funny, like he pays a cashier at a smoothie shop to mispronounce Bane's name as "Bang" because Bane likes blowing stuff up. That's a funny idea, and it's not even that much of a crime, just a dumb joke. The main problem is that Bane has very thin skin, but that's not entirely on the Joker.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, funnier when the Joker is so unpredictable that he'll steal a kid's report card or kill his family in front of him depending on what he feels like.

There's a Thanos comic where it's revealed he has picked a single guy at random and every year on his birthday he shows up and tortures him. There's no reason behind this, he does it simply because he wants to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Grand Gigas posted:

Oldish post but Columbo is as much a cop as Zeus was a swan.

Unfortunately the existence of Mrs. Columbo starring a 24 year old Kate Mulgrew confirms that Columbo liked his women a little too young.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a Thanos comic where it's revealed he has picked a single guy at random and every year on his birthday he shows up and tortures him. There's no reason behind this, he does it simply because he wants to.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FWN0yMv

The first one is by far the pettiest and therefore the best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the bit where someone comes home to find Darkseid on their couch.

Comics Thanos is a lot more interesting than the movies. A big part of it seems to be that he's bored, desperately searching for a purpose to his existence, and both motivated and crippled by his self-loathing. Using incredible power to do incredibly petty things is a recurring theme with him. Like making Deadpool immortal to stop him from being able to be with Death.

Actually, the comparison to the Joker reminds me of the closest equivalent scenario; BTAS episode Joker's Favor, where the Joker keeps tabs on one guy who had a case of road rage against the worst possible subject. Though it's handled much more interestingly as the Joker accidentally teaches his victim the value of leverage.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 06:33 on May 20, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the bit where someone comes home to find Darkseid on their couch.

Comics Thanos is a lot more interesting than the movies. A big part of it seems to be that he's bored, desperately searching for a purpose to his existence, and both motivated and crippled by his self-loathing. Using incredible power to do incredibly petty things is a recurring theme with him. Like making Deadpool immortal to stop him from being able to be with Death.

Actually, the comparison to the Joker reminds me of the closest equivalent scenario; BTAS episode Joker's Favor, where the Joker keeps tabs on one guy who had a case of road rage against the worst possible subject. Though it's handled much more interestingly as the Joker accidentally teaches his victim the value of leverage.

I love in that particular Joker story where the guy ends up cornering him in an alley with a bomb as he has nothing left to lose, and the Joker winds up shouting for Batman to come and save him. "Yes, very good Charlie.... BATMAN!" Then it turns out the bomb was a fake and Charlie was just making a joke at his expense, the most fitting revenge he could have come up with.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One way movie Thanos could have been improved was every scene he was in he would just be finishing a set and let the person know what he had lifted.

Dr strange: yeah you’re definitely more of a Thanos
Thanos: deadlifts. 1300 pounds. 4 10s. I take it the maw is dead.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

christmas boots posted:

Unfortunately the existence of Mrs. Columbo starring a 24 year old Kate Mulgrew confirms that Columbo liked his women a little too young.

It confirms the wife chooses a younger form on this Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it, all the best Joker bits in BTAS are about how all his petty cruelty eventually comes to bite him in the rear end when people are eventually pushed to breaking point- he talks a big game about how 'one bad day' can make anyone like him, but he can never deal with the consequences.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

The creators of Columbo went on to emphatically deny that she was the actual Mrs. Columbo (rather the wife of someone else named Columbo) and even considered having Columbo state in the revival that there was “some crazy girl running around impersonating my wife”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought it was the other way round - Death can be with Deadpool because he's the one living creature that she will never have to claim?