Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

AG3 posted:

Firefox really doesn't like that page. I opened it in a new tab, read a little bit and then went to the bathroom. When I came back my PC was chugging, so I checked the task manager and Firefox was up to ~10GB of ram usage. Closing the tab fixed it, but drat.

Tried opening it again, and the tab almost instantly consumes 1GB of RAM and increases by about 75-100MB per second.
Huh, you're right. Dev diary was also posted on their forum https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ckiii-dev-diary-27-cultures-cultural-innovations.1391886/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I started playing CK2 again after not playing for a year or two. Is there something I can do to keep nations from blobbing for eternity with no internal strife? Some setting at game start or a mod? I have never seen either of the two big muslim empires in the standard start fall apart. Usually the only thing that has a chance to hold them back is the Byzantines, but they always have constant civil wars which result in them being picked apart piece by piece. Multiple times now the HRE has eaten most of France and gone on to conquer North Africa.

Severely restrict demesne size and increase revolts to the largest size in the game settings.

If that doesn't work, buddy up with China and spend Chinabux on an invasion of the offending empire. If it's successful it will destroy the highest level title, balkanizing the realm.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I feel like this is a screenshot that shouldn't be read too much into but uhhhhh 476?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like this is a screenshot that shouldn't be read too much into but uhhhhh 476?

I imagine that's "these are the developments that happened in the entire era after the Empire fell in the west" way more than it's "these are potential start years for a CK3 game."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PittTheElder posted:

Doubt you'll be able to actually play in 476, they're just using that as the date the Tribalism era started for the culture they're playing in the screenshot. Politically loaded! :hist101:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I started playing CK2 again after not playing for a year or two. Is there something I can do to keep nations from blobbing for eternity with no internal strife? Some setting at game start or a mod? I have never seen either of the two big muslim empires in the standard start fall apart. Usually the only thing that has a chance to hold them back is the Byzantines, but they always have constant civil wars which result in them being picked apart piece by piece. Multiple times now the HRE has eaten most of France and gone on to conquer North Africa.
the HIP megamod makes a number of changes that decrease imperial cohesion. i would be careful about twilight of empires. it does a lot of neat things but it nerfs empire-level vassal levies to such a degree that kingdoms are often more powerful.

Zane fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

AG3 posted:

Firefox really doesn't like that page. I opened it in a new tab, read a little bit and then went to the bathroom. When I came back my PC was chugging, so I checked the task manager and Firefox was up to ~10GB of ram usage. Closing the tab fixed it, but drat.

Tried opening it again, and the tab almost instantly consumes 1GB of RAM and increases by about 75-100MB per second.

My Firefox was fine but I'm running NoScript. Blacklist javascript for that page, set the page to no style to read it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PittTheElder posted:

That's a pretty specific date, since I believe that is the offical year that the Western Roman Empire collapsed. Might not be too unheard of to play in the wake of that.

E.fb

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Do we know the start dates of ck3? I've seen lots of 1066, but what about 876 or 936?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There might be more, but I got

quote:

According to the designers I spoke to, CK3 already “far surpasses” the range of features CK2 had on day one, and already covers content from many of its predecessor’s DLC (for example, the 867AD start date from Old Gods). Still, expect “depth rather than breadth” – I get the feeling Paradox want to make a statement with the level of polish at launch, rather than recreating seven years of CK2 expansions.

from here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/19/crusader-kings-3-is-happening-heres-ten-things-we-know-so-far/

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Eimi posted:

Do we know the start dates of ck3? I've seen lots of 1066, but what about 876 or 936?

I recall reading between the lines in one of the dev diaries that there are two start dates - 1066 obviously, but I can't remember what the other one is. I think it's 876...

...found it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ckiii-dev-diary-26-map-scope.1389565/

"Turning to Mongolia, there is a powerhouse present in both bookmarks. In 867, you have the Kirghiz Khanate, and Great Liao in 1066. Counties and provinces include Karakorum and the entire area surrounding lake Baikal."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the technologies also referenced the renaissance, which makes me wonder if there'll be a later end date.

I've got mixed feelings about their new technology system. I suppose it's more in-depth than the previous one for if you want to interact more directly with technology, but it's a big choice that may make things play differently. Weird choice to directly attach it to culture of all things.

It seems like there's big clusters of cultures with about all the same color, which I guess gets the idea of related culture groups across, but it's weird to see these clusters in germany, spain, or eastern Europe that don't have any differences between them.

AG3 posted:

That might be the weird background effect where there's just a bunch of fireflies for no apparent reason. If you toggle the reader view in Firefox it should be fine.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ethiser posted:

A am playing half-vassal/half-demesne limit Ironman petty King of Wessex game right now. 769 start, at about 1070 now. It has been pretty successful at de-blobbing, though it took a couple hundred years to fully work itself out. The Franks were off and on till about 1,000 before finally never reuniting, and the Byzantine similarly persisted for a while before finally disintegrating. The Vikings and Muslims seemed even more powerful than usual, threatening to squish Europe between them, but they too have finally cracked and disintegrated.

The early game “touch and go” stage lasted longer for me - maybe 150 years vs. generally ~1/2 that. Which made it a success because that’s the most fun for sure for me. Vassal management was extremely important. Now though, I’m Empire-title and the fewer-but-more-powerful vassals are actually working in my favour as they are doing a lot of expansion for me. Just the odd bit of pruning keeps them all equally sized. So I feel like I have brought the game under heel again. Especially now that I’m only a couple years away from unlocking imperial administration.

So yeah - halving limits does extend the early game, and does slow growth if for no other reason than smaller incomes and armies but it feels like it is still delaying the inevitable Catholic blob that human Catholic players end up in the drivers seat of.

Next play through I’m gonna do like the above poster said and up revolt strengths. I love seeing little peasant counties scattered around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kind of like the idea of technology being tied to culture rather than realm - not so much for realism reasons or anything (I have no idea how historically accurate that really is) but just because it creates an interesting dynamic where your development isn't entirely up to you. It seems like they're aiming for a broader focus with how you interact with the world in CK3 because the dynastic stuff is along the same lines, where you're encouraged to push for more influence outside your borders rather than just blobbing your own realm to be bigger and bigger.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

I recall reading between the lines in one of the dev diaries that there are two start dates - 1066 obviously, but I can't remember what the other one is. I think it's 876...

...found it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ckiii-dev-diary-26-map-scope.1389565/

"Turning to Mongolia, there is a powerhouse present in both bookmarks. In 867, you have the Kirghiz Khanate, and Great Liao in 1066. Counties and provinces include Karakorum and the entire area surrounding lake Baikal."

Assuming it'll work like previous Paradox games there are technically hundreds of start dates since you can start at any year within the range of the game, with CK2 you could only select specific years after 1066, but maybe they are adding the years between 876 and 1066.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

Assuming it'll work like previous Paradox games there are technically hundreds of start dates since you can start at any year within the range of the game, with CK2 you could only select specific years after 1066, but maybe they are adding the years between 876 and 1066.

I believe they've specifically said they aren't doing that this time because it's a ton of extra work and 99% of players only ever pick the bookmarks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Cool, glad that the earlier bookmarks are in! Or at least 867. I won't mourn seeing no Charlemagne one.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ethiser posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I believe they've specifically said they aren't doing that this time because it's a ton of extra work and 99% of players only ever pick the bookmarks.

I seem to remember reading/hearing this too, but I can't find out where. If I had to bet I'd say it's just those two years on release, with more dates as potential DLC offerings.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I wonder how/if they'll attempt to emulate the rise of the Mongol empire in any way in CK3, now that geographically Mongolia is on the map. Maybe they could have some incredibly powerful culturally specific techs in that area be enabled past a certain point to encourage rapid expansion; the Reconquista showing up as a cultural tech in one of the screenshots would suggests that the new tech system will in part attempt to push the game towards semi-historical results.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I’m almost positive it’s just 876 and 1066 at release because that’s what people played in CK2.

I’m pretty excited about this system, especially that it’s easily moddable. It’d be cool if it eventually gets to the point where there are loads of special innovations for certain regions/cultures/religions etc.

Anno fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 19, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Really like the 936 start date so it’s a bummer if that’s gone.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

luxury handset posted:

does she have any titles for herself alread?, and she definitely has some claims to titles she wants

watch out for people with the Ambitious trait. it's a great trait for you to have, less so for vassals. ambitious people will swing for the fences when it comes to trying to start poo poo. keep an extremely close eye on people who are ambitious, deceitful, and have a high intrigue score, they will not hesitate to murder. like absolutely never land any rando in your court who is ambitious unless you can completely guarantee their loyalty at all times. on the other hand, Content people make excellent vassals to just hold down counties without complaint

I'll have to look and see about her titles. I didn't really look TOO hard at traits before the marriage (she had devoted and a couple other things I thought would be interesting), but she may be ambitious. She's in the pokey now, so we'll see.

Good advice on that trait, too - thanks!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

JustaDamnFool posted:

I wonder how/if they'll attempt to emulate the rise of the Mongol empire in any way in CK3, now that geographically Mongolia is on the map. Maybe they could have some incredibly powerful culturally specific techs in that area be enabled past a certain point to encourage rapid expansion; the Reconquista showing up as a cultural tech in one of the screenshots would suggests that the new tech system will in part attempt to push the game towards semi-historical results.

An advanced version of Ghaznavid and Friends events seems likely.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This sounds really fantastic to me, i didn't expect this much detail or attention to regional progress and maintaining a semi-historical timeline. Also really like that it interfaces with characters directly through the cultural head

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope this more historical framework doesn't prevent fun wackiness like a massive Frisian empire lead by Hindu Hungarians.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a pretty neat way to tie together two systems that technically existed but didn't do much in CK2 while also giving the player a couple more reasons to care about them and ways to interact with them.

And it's cool that, if I understand correctly, when you have a large empire you get more innovations faster by keeping it multicultural.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 19, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sindai posted:

That's a pretty neat way to tie together two systems that technically existed but didn't do much in CK2 while also giving the player a couple more reasons to care about them and ways to interact with them.

And it's cool that, if I understand correctly, when you have a large empire you get more innovations faster by keeping it multicultural.

can't wait to go max mughal

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sindai posted:

This is good news for my Roman Empire Mark 23Who Cares.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

With the province chat in the last page, it did remind me that it would be neat to have more province building management in CK3 I think. Maybe have things be cheaper than CK2, or allow for more discounts in time/cost to promote it, without making them too strong, just an extra system to reward management

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Serperoth posted:

With the province chat in the last page, it did remind me that it would be neat to have more province building management in CK3 I think. Maybe have things be cheaper than CK2, or allow for more discounts in time/cost to promote it, without making them too strong, just an extra system to reward management

Building things to make my city's number go up is the best part of civ, so I appreciate more buildings. Just so many buildings.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Serperoth posted:

I’m also really hopeful that this system ends up being deeper and more thought provoking than CK2. I think a lot of it will depend on how much development grows and really affects things. So far a good number of the buildings look like they have more interesting features, at least.

Also boats being thoroughly abstract now rather than another unit I need to fiddle with is great.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

One of the more awkward things in CK2 was that there was literally no way to stop a naval invasion. I get that it was supposed to be balanced somewhat by ships costing a ton and troops getting a big morale hit upon landing, but if the AI wanted to poop out some boats and drop troops right on your oceanside capital, there was nothing really to be done about it.

Of course given how wonderfully naval combat tended to go in the Hearts of Iron games, I don't have an answer for that one either

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Really, everything naval in CK2 is pretty poorly-considered. Vis: casually sailing from Sweden all the way around the entirety of Europe to sack Rome every ten years. They should have just abstracted boats completely -- pay cash to transport armies from one port to another, with the cost rising dramatically the further you want to go, and shipyards you control allowing you to do it much more cheaply. If you really want to let vikings sail into Paris, just give them more options that count as "ports" for this purpose.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Really like the 936 start date so it’s a bummer if that’s gone.

It's a great start date in ck2, and I'll be sad if it's not there in ck3.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Sindai posted:

Hmm...I don't see that as currently described.

Well. Actually sort of. Some gameyness, though

There's a background tick that everyone gets, and this is also influenced by surrounding counties to all of a culture's provinces. Multicultural has minimal impact here - only slightly faster through RNG managing to discover one tech over slightly faster for one culture, giving a bonus to its bordering cultures. However, the largest independent ruler of a culture gets to choose a bonus to the background tick.

So a multicultural empire will only tick notably faster if there are independent rulers of their component cultures still around. So to take advantage you need to leave a county unconquered so that your counties get a bonus to a tick from the independent guys' choice, which then can percolate to the rest of your empire through border bonuses (and also you want to checkerboard your county cultures for faster spread)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2020

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Do they need to be independent rulers? I need to read the diary again, I had thought it was just the most powerful ruler of that culture period.

edit: nope, I was wrong. "Any culture with at least one landed ruler somewhere has a cultural head, who then has complete control over which fascination is selected from available innovations."

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 20, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Non-independent rulers are still landed rulers. That line doesn't specify that they need to be independent (though it's possible they do and the diary just didn't say so).

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

megane posted:

Non-independent rulers are still landed rulers. That line doesn't specify that they need to be independent (though it's possible they do and the diary just didn't say so).

A later dev comment clarifies that they don't need to be independent. In fact, many large states will wholly encompass smaller cultural groups.

Wokeg posted:

Cultural heads do not have to be independent. Indeed, many won't be, since we have more than a few mighty empires scattered around that totally subsume cultures within their borders.

It is actually technically possible not to have a head (you'd need to have absolutely _no_ landed rulers of that culture), but you're not disadvantaged for it. Such cultures just get a random fascination and innovate as though they had a cultural head with poor (but not terrible) learning.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Can't wait to become the head of Horse culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for the inevitable run where someone tries to collect all the special techs of other cultures into one kingdom.
Maximum bordergore as you take just what you need to gain access to those cultures techs and you leave pockets of your own culture behind in the process afterwards.