Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Diamond isn't getting any product to distribute.

I thought a lot of the books were published but Diamond just wasn't shipping them out, but the books aren't even printed at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm interested in collecting X-Men in hardcovers, oversized hardcovers preferred, and was looking around at what's been collected in omnibuses so far to map out a game plan. The first six omnis (The X-Men volumes 1 and 2, Uncanny X-Men volumes 1-4) cover issues 1-193 but then there's a gap between Uncanny X-Men vol 4 and the Mutant Massacre omnibus where we're missing issues 194-209. Does anyone know if those are collected in an omnibus or an OSHC? tia

Secret wars 2 has 196, 202–203.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I thought a lot of the books were published but Diamond just wasn't shipping them out, but the books aren't even printed at this point?

As of March 23, they told their suppliers to stop shipping them new comics and that they wouldn't be paying for what they had. They have nothing newer than a month ago. They may be printed, but Diamond doesn't have them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the midwest warehouses is still open and shipping reorders only.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ugh, and I have/had a ton of poo poo on order for May. I think I'll probably just wait it out a bit as I don't want to dick over my local comic book guy, he's pretty chill. It's not like Amazon is shipping super fast anyways.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I had a birthday and with it, the gift of monies! So I decided to try and catch up on the Carl Barks library from Fantagraphics.
Does anyone know if the double book slip cases sets for it are actually the hardbacks or paper back copies in the hardcover slipcase? It’s the cheaper option but I’m paranoid about getting the paperbacks when I started with the HCs.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Agent_grey posted:

So I decided to try and catch up on the Carl Barks library from Fantagraphics.
Does anyone know if the double book slip cases sets for it are actually the hardbacks or paper back copies in the hardcover slipcase? It’s the cheaper option but I’m paranoid about getting the paperbacks when I started with the HCs.

They are hardcover.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
My bank account is now lighter and my shelves heavier, thank you kindly!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

As of March 23, they told their suppliers to stop shipping them new comics and that they wouldn't be paying for what they had. They have nothing newer than a month ago. They may be printed, but Diamond doesn't have them.

This makes me very sad. I don't want to miss out on books, but I don't want to pay more than I need to. Like that X-Force reprint that came and went on IST.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

What's up with the Squirrel Girl hardcover releases? When can I realistically expect the fifth one to be released? I don't buy a lot of Marvel so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
after 3 different solicits going back to 2018 the absolute of daytripper finally came out at the end of the april. glad i went for it, absolutes have always been a solid purchase.

i went for the gallery edition of love & war and elektra assassin and it's..not nearly as good. same sizeish (a little larger then the absolutes) but the artwork is a little fuzzy, like a bad upscale..which is a bummer cuz the art is the whole reason to own the thing. this is my first dip on the marvel side of large page editions, but i'm bummed..is this a normal thing for marvel gallery editions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone know a place where they make custom omnibus covers?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Anyone ever key in on a good lapdesk for reading omnibi?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

A question for anyone else who owns the X-Men Children of the Atom box set. The books in the box set are packed in together very, very tightly. Is this something that affects all of them, or specifically just mine? I own the Avengers box set too and those books aren't packed in even remotely as tight. tia

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Target has a buy 2 get 1 free on books, there is a vast selection of trades, HCs and omnibus' available on their website and most qualify. Many are already at reduced prices.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Target has a buy 2 get 1 free on books, there is a vast selection of trades, HCs and omnibus' available on their website and most qualify. Many are already at reduced prices.

Thinking too hard about what I want my 3 books to be... drat you, Target! (Thank you, Rhyno.)

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Sweet, been meaning to finish picking up Revival and Lazarus hardcovers. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had 45 books in my cart before I became aware of the total.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone been to Ollie's lately? I really enjoyed Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman series, and those TPBs seem like the kind of books that would end up on deep discount at Ollie's, but I've never seen them there. Of course, I haven't been since before the pandemic started.

I'd also be interested in picking up a cheap complete set of Manhunter (the mid-'00s Marc Andreyko series) in TPB if I could get them cheap enough. I know those were all over Ollie's for a while, but I don't remember if they ever had all the volumes. Also, was that series any good? I briefly had Volume 1, but traded or sold it many years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone been to Ollie's lately? I really enjoyed Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman series, and those TPBs seem like the kind of books that would end up on deep discount at Ollie's, but I've never seen them there. Of course, I haven't been since before the pandemic started.

I'd also be interested in picking up a cheap complete set of Manhunter (the mid-'00s Marc Andreyko series) in TPB if I could get them cheap enough. I know those were all over Ollie's for a while, but I don't remember if they ever had all the volumes. Also, was that series any good? I briefly had Volume 1, but traded or sold it many years ago.

I have! The nice thing about Ollies is they will advertise the poo poo out of newly arrived merch. There's only been one small batch of trades show up since that massive blitz in 2018. I dont recall seeing SpiderWoman but i nabbed all but one trade of Manhunter during that buying spree.

Also the word is Diamond is going to dump their entire stock of DC trades in the near future so I expect we'll see another huge closeout, probably by the end of the year.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I have, I went less than a week ago and it was the usual stuff they'd had for a good long while. Ollie's in Nashville, if that makes a difference.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I posted a thread in SA Mart where I'm selling some still-sealed Marvel omnibuses and hardcovers, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932689

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Uncanny X-force omni is back in stock on IST, if anyone else has been awaiting this like I have...

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

What do I read for Brubaker's Captain America run after The Death of Captain America: Complete Collection tpb? They seem to have just stopped collecting it in convenient larger volumes after that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

What do I read for Brubaker's Captain America run after The Death of Captain America: Complete Collection tpb? They seem to have just stopped collecting it in convenient larger volumes after that.

Here you go:
https://www.howtoread.me/captain-america-by-ed-brubaker-reading-order/

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Ah this is perfect, thank you.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Haha. Sweet.

https://www.tfaw.com/marvel-masterworks-howard-the-duck-hc-vol-01-dm-var-exclusive-ed-300.html

But I have the full run of floppies (not the magazine) and the Omnibus so I don't think I need this. I didn't even know Masterworks were still a thing and why are they so expensive?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

sporklift posted:

Haha. Sweet.

https://www.tfaw.com/marvel-masterworks-howard-the-duck-hc-vol-01-dm-var-exclusive-ed-300.html

But I have the full run of floppies (not the magazine) and the Omnibus so I don't think I need this. I didn't even know Masterworks were still a thing and why are they so expensive?

Are they in color now? Weren’t Masterworks the big B&W collections where the benefit was in more comic book for less money? Either way the omnibus is really all you need.

Ahhh, yes that’s right. I liked those.
VVVVVVVVVV

Unmature fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 7, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Unmature posted:

Are they in color now? Weren’t Masterworks the big B&W collections where the benefit was in more comic book for less money? Either way the omnibus is really all you need.

That was the Essential line (and the DC equivalent was Showcase).

I kinda dig the Essential line, but I think that's because one of my earliest comics was Essential Hulk volume 2. I like the idea of "lots of comics, cheap, maybe not so pretty" but it makes total sense why that's a harder sell in a medium like this.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh yeah. I love the Essentials. I think that line did get canceled. Those things were cool for checking out the linework. Or if you wanted a Marvel coloring book. I wonder if any colorists got their start coloring those in.

I wanted to get the original run custom bound because I prefer the newsprint look over the recolors but I'm missing those first two Man-Thing issues. Looks like the prices on those two issues have come down. They got pricey with that Howard cameo in GotG.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I like what they were doing with the Epic collections too. It’s cool to see those under appreciated more obscure series get big paperbacks

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

I like what they were doing with the Epic collections too. It’s cool to see those under appreciated more obscure series get big paperbacks

Doing past tense? They’re not cancelled are they? I love them, I’ve been collecting Gruenwald’s Captain America run that way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

Doing past tense? They’re not cancelled are they? I love them, I’ve been collecting Gruenwald’s Captain America run that way.

Oh I’m not sure! Sorry to make it sound that way. I hope they’re still going

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They're definitely still doing them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet flyer in the mail today, and it advertised a new shipment of Marvel TPBs for $6.99 starting on Thursday, the 27th. I haven't been to Ollie's since long before the pandemic started, but I'm tempted to do a quick pop-in on Thursday to see what they got.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Target is running a buy 1 get one 50% off sale on what appears to be all books until 1 pm Central today. https://www.target.com/pl/586582176 It looks like every book is available for this promo. Not worth it for preordering upcoming omnibus at full MSRP, but they do have a limited selection of recent stuff at prices comparable to Amazon (they may be a few dollars more than IST, if IST has it, but comes out below when you apply the promo). For example, they have Batman by Snyder and Batman by Morrison 1+2 omnis, Batman Rebirth Deluxe 1-3 by Tom King (but not 4-5), etc. Seems their DC selection is bigger than the Marvel selection, but I did get a few Marvel omnis I've been on the hunt for (Venomnibus Vol 2, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Iron Man Mask in the Iron Man). I was able to stack a 5% off purchase coupon and a $10 off $50 coupon with the discount as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I got the new Ollie's Bargain Outlet flyer in the mail today, and it advertised a new shipment of Marvel TPBs for $6.99 starting on Thursday, the 27th. I haven't been to Ollie's since long before the pandemic started, but I'm tempted to do a quick pop-in on Thursday to see what they got.

I looked at the ad and I may be wrong but it looks like it's TWO books. One of which I bought a month ago from there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I looked at the ad and I may be wrong but it looks like it's TWO books. One of which I bought a month ago from there.

I saw that, but I was hoping they were using those two as examples from a larger shipment. I think they've singled out books in past ads, ones that might look more popular.

But I'm most likely going to be disappointed when I pop by tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New selection was like 5 or 6 titles here, most of them had remainder marks on them so they came from a bookstore and not Diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Any Spider-Woman by Dennis Hopeless? I read that run on Marvel Unlimited and loved it.