Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

toplitzin posted:

And throwing only raw dough in the box to maximize the ROI.

This might cross a line? False advertising or something, since you aren’t actually delivering what your menu promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

This might cross a line? False advertising or something, since you aren’t actually delivering what your menu promises.

He's ordering it to himself.

Owner orders pizza through doordash's unrequested/unwanted site.

DD charges him/the customer $16 for a pizza on his menu that actually lists for $24.

Dr driver comes, picks up pizza, and uses a dd credit card and pays $24 making up the list price difference.

Driver gets box of dough, drives around back, delivers order to owner.

owner says thanks for my pizza, and pockets the $8 dd paid the store for his $16 pie.

Basically dude found that DD made and runs an online ordering/delivery he doesn't offer. Dd charges customers less for his pizzas than he does, but dd as the middleman pays the difference (loss leader type b.s.) between their price and the real price.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

toplitzin posted:

He's ordering it to himself.

Owner orders pizza through doordash's unrequested/unwanted site.

DD charges him/the customer $16 for a pizza on his menu that actually lists for $24.

Dr driver comes, picks up pizza, and uses a dd credit card and pays $24 making up the list price difference.

Driver gets box of dough, drives around back, delivers order to owner.

owner says thanks for my pizza, and pockets the $8 dd paid the store for his $16 pie.

Basically dude found that DD made and runs an online ordering/delivery he doesn't offer. Dd charges customers less for his pizzas than he does, but dd as the middleman pays the difference (loss leader type b.s.) between their price and the real price.

Fun fact, a lot of civilized countries have something called "anti-trust" or "anti-monopoly" (not the game) laws that ban what you are describing, so called "illegal price dumping". This is because this practice pushes out competitors and establishes monopolies, which we don't want.

A good way to do something about that is to establish, for instance, some sort of Federal Trade Commission under some sort of justice department to enforce a law like that. It's a great idea, don't know why nobody does it. Would be sweet to have.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ah, well, I hadn’t seen the news story before responding so didn’t know he was arbitraging.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fun fact, a lot of civilized countries have something called "anti-trust" or "anti-monopoly" (not the game) laws that ban what you are describing, so called "illegal price dumping". This is because this practice pushes out competitors and establishes monopolies, which we don't want.

A good way to do something about that is to establish, for instance, some sort of Federal Trade Commission under some sort of justice department to enforce a law like that. It's a great idea, don't know why nobody does it. Would be sweet to have.

Do the laws against this require intent? The reason they have their prices set wrong is gross incompetence. They could find the current menu with the correct price, but just didn't.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

The combination of intellectual curiosity and boundless stupidity is rare, thus not a lot of people care about the theories of law.

How dare you so accurately make fun of me

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Someone is harassing me through Amazon purchases. Specifically, POD books with extremely unflattering titles. On the 10th, I had a blowout with an rear end in a top hat known for social media hysterics. He made threats of violence against me but backed off when I threatened to report him to his work. 3 days later, the book was printed and shipped to my house, arriving the 18th.

I don't know for certain this rear end in a top hat did it, but apparently this exact thing has happened to 1 other person in our mutual social circles, so it strikes me as pretty unlikely to be a coincidence. I asked my most likely friends, and they all would have copped to doing this if they had.

Amazon was unable to assist with providing any information about the purchaser, there's no purchase slip or anything in the package itself. I've filed a complaint with the UPIS (though this was before I heard it happened to a second person, so that wasn't in my report. should i file another report?) and I checked with my local PD who advised to wait to hear back from the postal inspector. I figure worst case scenario is I owe an apology to a friend with a bad sense of timing. Best case scenario, this rear end in a top hat has given the state carte blanche to spank him for mail fraud.

Is there anything else I should do? The point of this purchase was to send an implicit threat that he knows my home address, so I'm not going to hold back on him.

One book or multiple books? What was the title of the book? Were you able to screenshot/download/record the threat?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did we ever get a screen shot of the Spoonman Fridge Manifesto?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Do you have (artisanal) spoons in your house?

No, I am evicted.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Guy Axlerod posted:

Do the laws against this require intent? The reason they have their prices set wrong is gross incompetence. They could find the current menu with the correct price, but just didn't.

Might. Ours needs intent or gross negligence (though it's not clear in practice if it really actually does and how that is proven), but the generalized corporate criminal statute requires none at all.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

What if the reason the price is set low to entice/engage customers (like the $1.5 hotdog combo at Costco) to use their service. (this is VC funded silicon valley stupidity after all)
They clearly know their listed price is wrong, and paying the actual retail price when their driver gets the order.

Is the pizza shop owner doing something illegal by taking advantage of this difference?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

euphronius posted:

Did we ever get a screen shot of the Spoonman Fridge Manifesto?

Oh no I forgot about that, I'll edit it and post it up once I've finished throwing out his poo poo in another 10 days or so.

by edit I mean I'll redact his name

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 19, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

blarzgh posted:

One book or multiple books? What was the title of the book? Were you able to screenshot/download/record the threat?

one book to multiple people, "you're an rear end in a top hat," yes

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

look, I know I'm abrasive but I'm just trying to help.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What was the threat?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Real talk: addresses are public information, Amazon has whatever internal policies they have, and if the Police department is working on it there isn't much else you can do. If the police don't already have the threat of violence, then you should provide that to them.

The police have discretion over whether to interact with this person or charge them with a crime. You can ask the police if you qualify for a restraining order but I'm dubious as they didn't offer it already.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

joat mon posted:

What was the threat?

"I know where you live." I understand addresses are generally considered public information but I have taken steps to obscure myself after a doxxing a few years back.

The police don't yet have the threat, I'm waiting to hear back from the USPIS, who doesn't yet know that this has happened twice. I've reached out to the first victim to try and get a statement or collaborate on a response before I update the USPIS.

edit- I've confirmed his job has a zero tolerance policy for abusive behavior, so if nothing else pans out he's losing his job at the very least.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Is the pizza shop owner doing something illegal by taking advantage of this difference?

Just to confirm the shop owner did not enter into any agreement with doordash

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Was there gold fringe on the order form?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I bet the credit card had the name in all caps

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Pizza delivery is invalid if any slice of an 8 slice pizza contains less than 10% of the pie.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

"I know where you live." I understand addresses are generally considered public information but I have taken steps to obscure myself after a doxxing a few years back.

The police don't yet have the threat, I'm waiting to hear back from the USPIS, who doesn't yet know that this has happened twice. I've reached out to the first victim to try and get a statement or collaborate on a response before I update the USPIS.

edit- I've confirmed his job has a zero tolerance policy for abusive behavior, so if nothing else pans out he's losing his job at the very least.

not sure why you think this is a post office issue. the post office doesn't care if he's mailing you poo poo you don't want.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

To my understanding, that is correct.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Yo, gently caress the haters in this thread. JP Court is fun as hell. Sue the spoonman and report back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

look, I know I'm abrasive but I'm just trying to help.

truth is an absolute defense

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

To my understanding, that is correct.

Yeah, this is DoorDash just inserting itself between the pizza shop and its customers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

Hypothetical, based on the below article (you don't have to read it, I'll summarize; the dude who wrote it is a tool):

https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

You have a pizza restaurant that doesn't do delivery. Doordash/GrubHub scrapes your menu, and sets up a website for your restaurant that offers delivery, along with a phone number to call through them. Their contractors handle the calling, ordering, and even paying, presumably in preparation for offering to charge you money for this service. You discover this, and also discover that their algorithm has scraped your menu in such a way that it is offering a specialty pizza ($24) for the price of a cheese pizza ($16).

Is there a point at which your profiting from this becomes a crime and/or opens you up for civil litigation (or does it just start that way)? Can you have a friend order a hundred pizzas, you hand the delivery guy an empty box, and you split the proceeds? Or do you have to make some sort of good faith effort to supply a product? Would it make a difference if it were a specialty pizza that included onions, and on the "special instructions" said "no dough, no sauce, no ingredients a, b, c, x, y, z" and just delivered a hundred pizza boxes full of a few slices of onions?

If you absolutely must have a state, let's go with California, but if it changes depending on the state, I'd love to hear how.

I cannot think of a claim that fits, but I would also tell the shop owner there's a reasonable chance doordash files a mostly meritless lawsuit anyway to punish you as an example.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

On a totally related topic, do any of the lawyer goons have examples of times they advised clients to do one thing and that client said "thanks for the advice I'm going to completely ignore it and make my life more complicated than it could be"? :v:

At least once a day, but that's family law for you.

I have a whole spiel I give when I take a client on and half the time I still get the in hearing surprise that they have ignored my advice and torpoedoed their case.

Then I get the email from a throwaway address saying I know nothing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I cannot think of a claim that fits, but I would also tell the shop owner there's a reasonable chance doordash files a mostly meritless lawsuit anyway to punish you as an example.

It feels like there's a sales tax element that would take this into fraud territory, and then a judge would make a feel-good distinction between 'you delivered 100 pizzas to a friend, this is legitimately taking advantage of a poor offer' and 'you didn't actually supply anything, these were phantom transactions to defraud x'.

e: I mean if the question is 'what's the worst that can happen?' then the worst that can happen is that a law enforcement official notices that you are doing something that looks like the final stage of a not very complex money laundering scheme

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Why effort fraud? Circulate the doordash discount so people order that thing legitimately, milk doordash for $8 per order until they stop doing it, then dump them, imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javid posted:

Why effort fraud? Circulate the doordash discount so people order that thing legitimately, milk doordash for $8 per order until they stop doing it, then dump them, imo

If you read the article, because doordash will deliver cold pizzas to those people cause they don’t have pizza bags.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if I own a pizza restaurant, it's not super good for me if my customers get the idea that my regular, not-on-sale price is $16, and then suddenly that goes away and now they have to pay $24 for the same pizza. Maybe they will think I jacked up the prices or whatever. At the very least, I'd assume I am the one who gets to decide and moderate my discounting tactics, rather than some self-appointed delivery service.

This is the same principle behind those wholesalers who tell retailers they're not allowed to advertise a super-low price on a TV, you have to click through to the shopping cart before you can see it. Right? It's not great to let a reseller undercut your prices so badly that your customers think you're ripping them off whenever you try to charge them your actual retail price.

Anyway yeah I'm one of those people who just is genuinely interested in the law. The reason I don't go to law school is that I also have other genuine intellectual interests, and I can't simultaneously go to law school, woodworking school, gardening school, hiking school, photography school, and shitposting on the internet school, all at once. Also I'm 45 and already have a career. It's almost as though there's room between "doesn't give a poo poo about this subject" and "devotes lifelong career to this subject."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's almost as though there's room between "doesn't give a poo poo about this subject" and "devotes lifelong career to this subject."

Stop being reasonable. It won't work here.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

If you read the article, because doordash will deliver cold pizzas to those people cause they don’t have pizza bags.

Also DoorDash is trying to insert themselves as the middleman between him and his customers (and other restaurants too), in part by putting spoofed phone numbers on the google that redirect to Door Dash's ordering system.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

evilweasel posted:

not sure why you think this is a post office issue. the post office doesn't care if he's mailing you poo poo you don't want.

It's not harassment to harass someone through the mail system?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

IANAL so I can't tell you exactly when behavior moves from simply annoying to actually felonious under federal laws against stalking, but realistically you're trying to convince a federal law enforcement agent (which is what Postal Inspectors are) to spend their time building a criminal case over someone mailing you a book titled "you are an rear end in a top hat." Unless there is some more extensive pattern of threats or conduct, it might not be their top priority.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dead Reckoning posted:

IANAL so I can't tell you exactly when behavior moves from simply annoying to actually felonious under federal laws against stalking, but realistically you're trying to convince a federal law enforcement agent (which is what Postal Inspectors are) to spend their time building a criminal case over someone mailing you a book titled "you are an rear end in a top hat." Unless there is some more extensive pattern of threats or conduct, it might not be their top priority.

there are, he's made direct threats against me and others, and he's repeated this process of mailing harassing books before. this is a pattern of behavior.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there are, he's made direct threats against me and others, and he's repeated this process of mailing harassing books before. this is a pattern of behavior.

"I know where you live" is not a direct threat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you claimed it was mail fraud first

if you are now filing charges about harassment instead, "this guy sent me a single book about how im an rear end in a top hat" strikes me as the sort of complaint the post office is going to put on their wall as one of the funniest things they've seen in weeks rather than "why yes, that does sound like harassment, put a top inspector on the case"

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

then it sounds like a job for the regular police who have jurisdiction over all of the threats

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mail fraud requires, like many federal fraud crimes, that the fraudster is targeting some sort of property such as money, tangible goods, or real estate. This is why Chris Christee's cronies got away with shutting down the GW bridge a while back.

Harassment, stalking, threats, etc. all are going to typically fall under local jurisdiction. There are federal stalking statutes and such that might protect someone in your circumstances, but the avenue of approach there is still going to start with local police.

If someone is stalking/harassing you, call your local non-emergency police line and ask what to do. This type of poo poo is routine for them. They may even have the procedures posted online because this is a common enough problem. Someone mailing you a book to harass you is not mail fraud, though, because they're not trying to take anything from you.