Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
EQ crushed UO playerbase then WoW pretty much crushed EQ and EQ2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Meatgrinder posted:

What I think is amazing is that so much information is just lost. You'll see people trying to emulate the original stages of the game and, even as far as Luclin and PoP, have to guess where mobs were, what they dropped, how quests worked... All there is, at times, is random posts on old message boards detailing some aspect of the game back then, which is basically coding your server based on hearsay.

Not to mention stuff like the original client and interface, which were basically just patched out of existence. Hell, even WoW can't run the original base game for that very reason.

Yeah, it's kind of incredible how much of P99 involves people trawling through old allakazam posts and stuff. It's obviously impossible to know but I wonder if any of the devs had the foresight to back up old copies of the game as they updated it. Considering WoW devs didn't in 04 I can't imagine they did.

Atleast EQ has the old tutorial floating around as a kind of time capsule.

It's a shame so little can actually be gleaned from old copies of the game. I'm guessing spawn info and such was stored server side? If Daybreak (or Sony) discovered all that old info on some old server I'd definitely pay good money for a more true to 2000 EQ. Ah well. P99 is pretty good for what it is. My biggest complaint is probably that I'm not 13 anymore.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

EQ was not a direct successor to UO in any way, shape, or form. They were in development at the same time

So their respective development periods overlapped, and that means what? You think brad mcquaid and co. never played ultima online?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Relayer posted:

So their respective development periods overlapped, and that means what? You think brad mcquaid and co. never played ultima online?

In what way does big Brad playing UO make EQ a successor to UO? The games are nothing alike beyond being MMORPGs

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sankis posted:

On live, back in the era that P99 is portraying, those pixel monstrosities had their own UI and stuff when you clicked on them. I don't think it supported replies or anything, just posts. I imagine that when the qeynos side of the world was being developed they had grand ideas of people using them to advertise creating services or whatever.

Edit: I think the furthest west these message boards exist is Highleep. It feels very much like an idea abandoned early on but not removed for years later.

Edit 2: There may have been one in the EK docks inn, though I can't remember. Inns are another thing they seemed to have grand ideas for early on. It's all very MUD and tabletop inspired stuff.

There was one def in Qeynos in an inn next to the docks because.... i used them to announce the name of Kapolokok the Magician.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Giant Bomb does a series from time to time called Game Tapes in which they check out old promotional tapes from the GameSpot library. A little over a year ago they did a tape that was SoE for 2001 or so. It's not a lot, it's mostly b roll meant to be played during the background of something talking, but I ripped the EQ portion since I thought you all may enjoy it. There's a bit of footage from the Fan Faire that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk5Zfcy7kpc.

EVIL Gibson posted:

There was one def in Qeynos in an inn next to the docks because.... i used them to announce the name of Kapolokok the Magician.

Meant to write EFP docks, but yeah. They were all over on the Qeynos side of antonica. The docks inn where you turned in blackburrow stout or whatever had one.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 20, 2020

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

I also just got my first new computer in 10 years, and it’s a new MacBook Air. From what I’ve seen you can’t install Project99 on a Mac. Is my best method to install Windows on the Mac and go from there?

I play P99 on a 2012 era MacBook Pro and it works just fine. I use PlayOnMac which is just a frontend for Wine. I believe theres a current “how to play on a mac” forum topic too.

Heres a really old post I made with the steps. I can’t vouch for a new MacBook Air hardware and drivers so YMMV.

That being said if you have a copy of win 10 and don’t mind dual booting then you might as well go that route.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Sankis posted:

Giant Bomb does a series from time to time called Game Tapes in which they check out old promotional tapes from the GameSpot library. A little over a year ago they did a tape that was SoE for 2001 or so. It's not a lot, it's mostly b roll meant to be played during the background of something talking, but I ripped the EQ portion since I thought you all may enjoy it. There's a bit of footage from the Fan Faire that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk5Zfcy7kpc.

Meant to write EFP docks, but yeah. They were all over on the Qeynos side of antonica. The docks inn where you turned in blackburrow stout or whatever had one.

There's something absolutely precious about that fan faire footage. I'd always wanted to go to one but never had the chance :( I wonder if there's any record of the kind of swag/goodies they gave out during these. I have a very distinct memory of buying some kind of EverQuest-themed bath kit from ebay (with a scrub brush, loofa, soaps and mini shampoos and poo poo) in the early 2000s - but I haven't ever been able to confirm that it was *actually* EQ merchandise or if my memory is lying to me.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

In what way does big Brad playing UO make EQ a successor to UO? The games are nothing alike beyond being MMORPGs

EQ outstripped UO's subscriber base, was the second widely recognized mmo and... I dunno, just chronologically came after UO. Maybe we have a different definition of the word.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Slapdash posted:

I play P99 on a 2012 era MacBook Pro and it works just fine. I use PlayOnMac which is just a frontend for Wine. I believe theres a current “how to play on a mac” forum topic too.

Heres a really old post I made with the steps. I can’t vouch for a new MacBook Air hardware and drivers so YMMV.

That being said if you have a copy of win 10 and don’t mind dual booting then you might as well go that route.

From what I can gather from checking out that thread, the current version of MacOS is Catalina, and PlayOnMac won't work on here because they disabled 32bit support.

Sounds like Windows may be my only option. Boo.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

From what I can gather from checking out that thread, the current version of MacOS is Catalina, and PlayOnMac won't work on here because they disabled 32bit support.

Sounds like Windows may be my only option. Boo.

You can also look at the alkabor project. It’s not project 1999 (locked at velious) but it is locked at planes of power. They allow multiboxing so that’s a little different too. They use a Mac native client.

http://wiki.takp.info/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

milkman dad posted:

You can also look at the alkabor project. It’s not project 1999 (locked at velious) but it is locked at planes of power. They allow multiboxing so that’s a little different too. They use a Mac native client.

http://wiki.takp.info/

Can’t use Catalina there either. Macs running it don’t support 32 bit clients which is what EQ is. Have to have a machine with MacOS 10.14 or older or use Windows in Parallels or something.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

jabro posted:

Can’t use Catalina there either. Macs running it don’t support 32 bit clients which is what EQ is. Have to have a machine with MacOS 10.14 or older or use Windows in Parallels or something.

Running windows on Mac to run a modified Mac client. :what:

Themoor
May 15, 2020
What makes p99 better then all them other EMU servers is the population.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember thinking those in game message boards were so cool because when I was reading them they were outdated and had posts from people currently in top tier raiding guilds looking for a fire beetle eye or some poo poo.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Themoor posted:

What makes p99 better then all them other EMU servers is the population.

It is the only real server that has a decent attempt for enforcing single-boxing. Most other servers allow 3-boxing. EQ is most fun playing with other people. As a result you're more likely to group with other people. It also was the first server that tried to capture the classic era so there's also an element of first to market.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

milkman dad posted:

It is the only real server that has a decent attempt for enforcing single-boxing. Most other servers allow 3-boxing. EQ is most fun playing with other people. As a result you're more likely to group with other people. It also was the first server that tried to capture the classic era so there's also an element of first to market.

It's basically this. Everquest isn't Everquest without the social aspect of it and I feel like multiboxing really takes away from that. If you can war/cleric or monk/shaman or enchanter/whatever your way through the game with minimal interaction with other people, then what's the point?

There's something to be said about the EMUs that capture the spirit of the game but do their own thing (see Shards of Dalaya), but the populations tend to be pretty poo poo and you run into that multibox problem again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The last time I played Shards of Dalaya it was essentially empty and everyone was top tier raiding. You had to two box to even play the game because there was nobody at your level. Not sure if it’s any better nowadays.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

milkman dad posted:

It is the only real server that has a decent attempt for enforcing single-boxing.

This is also why it has a good population

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

This is also why it has a good population

As much as I adore TAKP and play it almost daily.... This.

Kind of a chicken and egg problem though. TAKP would go from low pop to no pop without boxing. Still it seems to have a nice raid scene with 4-5 active guilds, about 250 accounts online at primetime.

If you can badger 2 friends to each roll two boxes with you, it's a ball of a time IMHO. For me it's hard to imagine going back to playing a cleric on p1999 without another class to keep me awake.

If anyone fancies trying TAKP I will happily bankroll the basics for you like banded and a green Jade broadsword or equivalent. I think one of the longtime players is doing a "get to level 10 as a new player and I'll give you up to 1k in gear/money" kinda thing right now, check TAKP forums.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

cmdrk posted:

As much as I adore TAKP and play it almost daily.... This.

Kind of a chicken and egg problem though. TAKP would go from low pop to no pop without boxing. Still it seems to have a nice raid scene with 4-5 active guilds, about 250 accounts online at primetime.

If you can badger 2 friends to each roll two boxes with you, it's a ball of a time IMHO. For me it's hard to imagine going back to playing a cleric on p1999 without another class to keep me awake.

If anyone fancies trying TAKP I will happily bankroll the basics for you like banded and a green Jade broadsword or equivalent. I think one of the longtime players is doing a "get to level 10 as a new player and I'll give you up to 1k in gear/money" kinda thing right now, check TAKP forums.

I still have a mid 30s trip I play from time to time. It is a shame more people do not play regardless of the boxing a lot of effort has been put into getting a client from 2002 working.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

shirunei posted:

I still have a mid 30s trip I play from time to time. It is a shame more people do not play regardless of the boxing a lot of effort has been put into getting a client from 2002 working.

Yeah, the TAKP client is very classic and era-appropriate. No scroll-wheel camera, cannot see player mana values, can't see damage ticks from DoTs, no tab target cycling. It's beautiful and perfect for broke brains like me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
but it has boxing

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

but it has boxing
I'm a bourgeois hypocrite about boxing because I never felt more elite in an online game than when I had my newly built college PC and my family PC running EQ all summer in '99 on our 2nd phone line before I went down to campus and proceeded to ruin my freshman year playing video games. Now that any schmuck with a PC built in the last 10 years can run as many clients as they want over the worst internet available, it's lame and bad and ruins the game.

I felt a stabbing pain in my leftist soul just typing that.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I'm a bourgeois hypocrite about boxing because I never felt more elite in an online game than when I had my newly built college PC and my family PC running EQ all summer in '99 on our 2nd phone line before I went down to campus and proceeded to ruin my freshman year playing video games. Now that any schmuck with a PC built in the last 10 years can run as many clients as they want over the worst internet available, it's lame and bad and ruins the game.

I felt a stabbing pain in my leftist soul just typing that.

speaking of EQ being playable on the worst internet available- I played on p99 with some guy who was playing an Enchanter on in-flight wifi, flying into LAX from somewhere on the east coast. We played for a few hours at CE in Mistmoore before he announced something to the affect of: "gotta log after this fight, plane is landing soon". EQ's designed-for-late-90s-era computers network architecture is truly magical.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

cmdrk posted:

speaking of EQ being playable on the worst internet available- I played on p99 with some guy who was playing an Enchanter on in-flight wifi, flying into LAX from somewhere on the east coast. We played for a few hours at CE in Mistmoore before he announced something to the affect of: "gotta log after this fight, plane is landing soon". EQ's designed-for-late-90s-era computers network architecture is truly magical.

I had a guild member on P99 who was a truck driver and played while driving via laptop and cellphone hotspot. This only ended poorly once (that I know of) when he was supposed to be looting Targin for his monk while he lost service due to mountains or tunnels or something. Given a bit of generalization, it also explains a lot of truck driver behavior on the highway.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Boxing is alright when it’s like a few people on the server or so. Nowadays it’s so easy it’s become standard to do it if it’s allowed, and that makes it suck. I want to play an adventurer, not manage a team consisting of silent clones of myself.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

cmdrk posted:

It's the only game where i can lose internet for minutes and still not get kicked lol

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Boxing is alright when it’s like a few people on the server or so. Nowadays it’s so easy it’s become standard to do it if it’s allowed, and that makes it suck. I want to play an adventurer, not manage a team consisting of silent clones of myself.

You should be allowed to box if you can prove that you're using a discrete PC for each instance like in the old days. None of this software bullshit!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Sankis posted:

You should be allowed to box if you can prove that you're using a discrete PC for each instance like in the old days. None of this software bullshit!

And in different rooms.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Loan Dusty Road posted:

And in different rooms.

And using different people.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I took a break from wrestling with the emulation database to mod the global textures to enable the "daniel" face for all races:
https://imgur.com/a/YoyjGzN

You can install it yourself: https://filebin.net/sljstknb1fzxzqkw

Only the "daniel" face for each race enables it. If there's an interest in an ultra-daniel pack where all faces are the daniel I can make that too.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FranktheBank posted:

It's the only game where i can lose internet for minutes and still not get kicked lol

I remember on live when trying to get through a dangerous area you could yank your internet cable, run past the mobs, plug it back in, and after everything settled you'd be safe on the other side.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember going LD was a big thing on live back then, but I don't remember if people tried to abuse that by zoning or what.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember going LD was a big thing on live back then, but I don't remember if people tried to abuse that by zoning or what.

People definitely abused zoning and Alt+F4ing the client to avoid dying in PVP during live. Not sure about anything fancier.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

milkman dad posted:

I took a break from wrestling with the emulation database to mod the global textures to enable the "daniel" face for all races:
https://imgur.com/a/YoyjGzN

You can install it yourself: https://filebin.net/sljstknb1fzxzqkw

Only the "daniel" face for each race enables it. If there's an interest in an ultra-daniel pack where all faces are the daniel I can make that too.

this is freaking incredible. I need ultra-danielquest.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

People definitely abused zoning and Alt+F4ing the client to avoid dying in PVP during live. Not sure about anything fancier.

I don’t remember this on SZ. Going LD was suicide.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

At some point, you got NPC damage and regen if you DC'd. So if you DC'd in an area with pathing mobs, you'd go ham on them until you actually dropped and come back to a nice chunk of exp.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I do not remember that part of LDing at all, and I think I played until around the end of Planes of Power.

We had really terrible internet, and I remember going LD in Dreadlands soloing and loading back in to my bind all the time. When someone went linkdead they always had the whole Name (Linkdead) thing and mobs will still pound them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I don’t remember this on SZ. Going LD was suicide.

If you went LD while zoning, you never appeared in the other zone. It was basically like logging out at the zone line. Happened all the time on Rallos Zek from vanilla to Luclin (when I quit for good).