Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Uhh...pickled herring(?), corn, asparagus(?), olives - you got natto and century egg on there, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Cursedpizzas.jpg

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Jamsta posted:

My mother in law took a perfectly good margarita and dumped a lot of poo poo on it.

:sever:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
People like to fight about New York, Chicago, and Detroit pizzas, but it's refreshing to see the Iowan pizza in the wild.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I always keep the Nebraska pizza in my back pocket from the year I lived there.

Double pepperoni and cream cheese.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ColHannibal posted:

I always keep the Nebraska pizza in my back pocket from the year I lived there.

Double pepperoni and cream cheese.

This is disgusting but I'm curious how double the double pepperoni was. This could be even worse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is disgusting but I'm curious how double the double pepperoni was. This could be even worse.

It was like a sheet of pepperoni. I feel I need to clarify, it has cheese and sauce and the cream cheese is like a topping where it was these creamy melted globs on top of the pepperoni.

Like tater tot casserole is the Shepard’s pie of middle America... cream cheese is the Buratta.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
couple of pepperonis tonight:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:chanpop:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

forbidden dialectics posted:

Uhh...pickled herring(?), corn, asparagus(?), olives - you got natto and century egg on there, too?

Anchovies, but yup pretty much bang on. Minus the natto and century egg - didn't know they existed until now :)

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

People like to fight about New York, Chicago, and Detroit pizzas, but it's refreshing to see the Iowan pizza in the wild.

TIL about Iowan pizza and it's indomitable corn.

large hands posted:

couple of pepperonis tonight:

Thatsamorelikeit!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

His Divine Shadow posted:

A grill and a baking steel is not a good combo ask me how I know... You want a baking stone for the grill. The steel gets too hot and burns your pizza. The steel is meant for regular ovens that don't get hot enough like a true pizza oven, it's a way to get around it.

So yeah you can have too much heat! I didn't think it was possible either...

I got a cheapo stone from the local analog to harbour freight or home depot for the grill.

Alright. Can any of y’all recommend me a good round pizza stone for use on a kamado grill, between 16.5” and 17.5” in diameter? Amazon isn’t helping much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
use your steel in the oven

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

use your steel in the oven

no

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You still didn't answer how your steel is loving up.

Without close top radiated heat don't make pizza on it. Just make Naan or something

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I. M. Gei, what's the inner, working diameter of the grill? I don't want to rely on things online because there are various models and I think you've gone between a Big Green Egg and a Kamado. I'm guessing either an 18" or a 24". If it's 18" then a 16" is really pushing it. Also, what is your fuel method? Finally, what do you do to manage the fire?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You still didn't answer how your steel is loving up.

Without close top radiated heat don't make pizza on it. Just make Naan or something

The steel is burning the bottoms of my pizzas before the tops get cooked. Which is apparently what steels do on kamado-style grills.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I. M. Gei, what's the inner, working diameter of the grill? I don't want to rely on things online because there are various models and I think you've gone between a Big Green Egg and a Kamado. I'm guessing either an 18" or a 24". If it's 18" then a 16" is really pushing it.

It’s 18”.

Also a Big Green Egg is a KIND of kamado. It’s a kamado-style grill.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, what is your fuel method?

Charcoal.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally, what do you do to manage the fire?

Nothing. I open my vents all the way and let the fire get as hot as it can. I don’t have a way to stoke the fire since the temperature sensors on my blower fans can’t survive temps over like 550° and the Big Green Egg can get to 900° or higher.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a hard time thinking of ways to get that fire to reach up to the dome where it would cook the top of the pizza evenly with the bottom--not with an 18" space that has a 16" steel on it. I'm assuming this is perfectly round, which would give one inch of gap from the edge for the dome to "see" the fire and get charged up by it. I would guess that an IR thermometer is measuring something pretty low (<400F) whereas that steel is possibly exceeding the maximum reading.

I don't doubt that grill can do this in general, but that's a particularly tight margin. I like my big pizzas too so I root for this kind of thing. Even a 14" circle would probably be too big for this kind of thing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Really enjoying making 2-14” pies for dinner once a week in my oven with a baking steel. I’d like to go a bit bigger but my baking steel supports 15” at most with a perfect launch.

I do NY style pizzas.

I’m contemplating getting the Waring WPO500 which is an electric oven for pies up to 18”. It’s $1000.

Please tell me I’m crazy. The only other thought is to buy a bigger steel that would accommodate 16” pies without issue ( so it’s have to be 17x17 I’m guessing. I don’t see anything that’s made like that though.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
You’re crazy

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you are literally considering dropping a thousand bucks just to save yourself the trouble of finding a local metal shop and paying at most $150 for a 17" square of 3/8" hot rolled A36 you are undeniably crazy.

Edit: A plate that thick would probably weigh 50 pounds (?). Maybe go 1/4"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I. M. Gei posted:

The steel is burning the bottoms of my pizzas before the tops get cooked. Which is apparently what steels do on kamado-style grills.

Basically anywhere the heat is coming from the bottom instead of the top. And also getting the internal environment as hot as a grill does vs an oven, but the heat will rise and hit the steel first. Making burnination the name of the game.

Put your steel in the oven in the middle or so and heat it to 250C or whatever it is in farenheit, the max I guess, let it come to heat and bake on it with the steel.

Any cheapo pizza stone will work for the grill, mine cost like 10 bucks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m a little disturbed at the number of people in this thread who don’t know that kamado-type grills like the Big Green Egg are loving excellent for making pizza.

I also don’t know why so many of you are talking about getting the flames high enough to touch the dome, as if that’s the only way to cook pizza on a kamado. Pretty much all the recipes I’ve used tell you to use the heat deflector stone, which basically turns the grill into a super hot oven. The temps don’t get as high as they would without it, but the heat circulates a lot more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well seems like you already know.

/e- actually I'll waste my time.

The reflector stone stops direct heat to the grate. That doesn't really matter. If your coals are full blast red it'll still heat the stone enough to overcook and if they're not then who really cares about the reflector stone. What you need is a reflector of sorts above the pizza. The large chamber of air above the cooking surface means that you'll likely NEVER get a pizza that's as good as one of those electronic clamshells, broiler method in the oven with a stone, an actual brick oven, or one of those UNI pellet/propaine things. All those have in common is the ability to heat from the top. I wasted money on a kettle pizza due to serious eats. Making a pizza with that you have to use a peel to get the pizza off the stone after about 30 seconds, and get it closer to the top (a reflector steel) for about a minute.This is why people are telling you to get the flames high, to heat the dome well above the 550 and have some top radiated heat.

gently caress. stop being such a poo poo when people don't tell you what you want to hear. IDK how you can say the BGE is so great at using pizzas while you're sitting at 550

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 21, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m a little disturbed at the number of people in this thread who don’t know that kamado-type grills like the Big Green Egg are loving excellent for making pizza.

I also don’t know why so many of you are talking about getting the flames high enough to touch the dome, as if that’s the only way to cook pizza on a kamado. Pretty much all the recipes I’ve used tell you to use the heat deflector stone, which basically turns the grill into a super hot oven. The temps don’t get as high as they would without it, but the heat circulates a lot more.

why the gently caress are you asking anything us if you know it all

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

The flames themselves don't have to touch the dome. The "seeing" thing is being within line-of-sight of the infrared radiation of the heat source. Having such a large steel is blocking the line-of-sight. It's even worse in that it's taking that heat and shoving it up the pizza's rear end and burning it from underneath. I also don't doubt these grills can make pizza; I don't think they can make pizzas of that relative size to themselves. I would also be doubting somebody with a 24" wood-fired oven trying to shove a 16" pizza into it with a fire raging. The pizza's probably going to catch on fire. That accessory probably does a great job of baking, but that's a term with a large temperature range, and may or may not include convection naturally created by the fire. In this case, convection won't give you much.

The typical technique in a wood-fired oven for adding an extra kick to the top of the pizza is to lift it up with the peel and offer it to the roof of the oven like it was baby Simba. It's a bitch for leverage bit you only have to two if for 10-20 seconds to finish off the top. This is usually only an issue when the oven has dropped below 600F and/or somebody wants a pizza "well done."

Let's use God's anointed drawing technology to illustrate this:

The fire has a beeline for the steel, but has to do a lot of acrobatics to even get around the steel and hit the top of the pizza. A second factor is these grills are using ceramics to add refraction. So what makes it past the steel is getting soaked into the ceramic lid. You might actually be better off with a reflective lid in such a situation.

To make that worse, the way that is radiated is a wave, so some of the heat that a spot on the ceramic lid absorbs will then be cast back out in various directions. Some will hit the pizza but some will just hit other parts of the lid. These parts that have no other line-of-sight to the fire will quietly eat the heat you want your pizza to get instead. If the lid were properly charged then it wouldn't be an issue.

A smaller steel gives the lid more line-of-sight to get charged by the heat and give it back to the pizza.

This issue comes up in other ways in wood-fired ovens too. Barrel-style ovens tend to have different temperature pockets based on their shape compared to domes--especially at their corners and edges. So the rule of thumb if building a barrel-style oven is to make its area ultimately larger than a dome because you won't be able to use all of it.

Also, this is why in the smoking thread that I wanted a metal tub full of water as a baffle so I could keep a fire going on the same plane as what I'm cooking without burning it. It turns out instead if I raise the meat and put it up front by the chimney that it loses line-of-sight of the fire and just catches the convection current I need for the smoke flavor.

Something you can try if you still super-duper want that 16" in an 18" is to start a fire on the top grates--or rather probably some sacrificial grates since you're going to kick that grate's rear end doing this--in order to charge the dome--before you start on the pizzas. I don't know how well it can hold that heat and for how long but I have to imagine it'll at least net you one good pizza.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nwin posted:

I’m contemplating getting the Waring WPO500 which is an electric oven for pies up to 18”. It’s $1000.

Please tell me I’m crazy. The only other thought is to buy a bigger steel that would accommodate 16” pies without issue ( so it’s have to be 17x17 I’m guessing. I don’t see anything that’s made like that though.

With a budget of $1000, you can scrounge together enough fire bricks, pottery clay, pottery sand, cinder blocks, perlite, concrete, rebar, and stucco to build yourself a 32-36" wood-fired oven outside and join the rest of us Satanists. It would be a cob oven made from manufactured materials and it'll develop a few cosmetic cracks, but you'll be baking all summer when it's otherwise too hot in the house.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With a budget of $1000, you can scrounge together enough fire bricks, pottery clay, pottery sand, cinder blocks, perlite, concrete, rebar, and stucco to build yourself a 32-36" wood-fired oven outside and join the rest of us Satanists. It would be a cob oven made from manufactured materials and it'll develop a few cosmetic cracks, but you'll be baking all summer when it's otherwise too hot in the house.

I’m in the military and move every few years. That’s a dream after I retire though.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

nwin posted:

I’m in the military and move every few years. That’s a dream after I retire though.

If wood fire interests you, the Pizza Party oven is what I use and it's mobile as hell and fun as gently caress to cook in. Aside from the pizzas I make out of it, we roast whole chickens, pork ribs, veggies, etc. I think they're running some sort of special right now so you can probably get that 70x70 for $950ish FedEx'ed to your door straight from Italy. In the before times of shipping it took less than a week from order to delivery, but nowadays I'm not sure. Otherwise the Waring or something like the Breville will do you for an electric style pizza oven that's countertop useable inside!

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/wood-fired-oven/outdoor-wood-fired-oven-pizza-party-green.html

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Seconding the Pizza Party. Mine gets up to 1000f with no effort, and takes maybe 20 minutes to break down or reassemble with two people.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nwin posted:

So here's where I give the whole deal and say that's fine because pizza ovens are like pancakes. The first one you make will be a fuckup that'll set you up for the next one(s)...

(Or get the portable one)

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Are there any other Pizzacraft PizzaQue pizziolios ITT? I got mine as a gift about 18 months ago and I'm a fan. I think it cost around $150 all in for the oven with legs and a couple of other pieces. It's been months since I fired it up (got on a Detroit-style kick for a while) but I'm itching to get back to it. Curious about others' techniques.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I found a local metal shop that sold me a chunk of 18x18x.5" for $40. Had to descale it by soaking in white vinegar for a few days but I love it.

Yes it weighs a loving ton (I think about 60 pounds).

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Do the wood fired Oonas use the same wood pellets that pellet smokers like the Traeger use? I have a pellet smoker, and it would be nice to use the same field on two devices.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bagheera posted:

Do the wood fired Oonas use the same wood pellets that pellet smokers like the Traeger use? I have a pellet smoker, and it would be nice to use the same field on two devices.

Interested in this as well. The Ooni gets more attractive if I already have twenty pounds of fuel on hand at all times anyway...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ogopogo posted:

If wood fire interests you, the Pizza Party oven is what I use and it's mobile as hell and fun as gently caress to cook in. Aside from the pizzas I make out of it, we roast whole chickens, pork ribs, veggies, etc. I think they're running some sort of special right now so you can probably get that 70x70 for $950ish FedEx'ed to your door straight from Italy. In the before times of shipping it took less than a week from order to delivery, but nowadays I'm not sure. Otherwise the Waring or something like the Breville will do you for an electric style pizza oven that's countertop useable inside!

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/wood-fired-oven/outdoor-wood-fired-oven-pizza-party-green.html

Yeah I dunno. I mainly do NY style pizzas. I have a Blackstone pizza grill that uses propane and that works well enough for when I want to do neopolitan...not nearly as hot as a pizza party but still up to 800 degrees or so.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Got back into making my own pizzas again a few months ago, this time making my own dough rather than going for store bought. Tonight's pepperoni and black olive feast:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Interested in this as well. The Ooni gets more attractive if I already have twenty pounds of fuel on hand at all times anyway...

I can't speak to the newer Uuni models, or your particular pellets, but for whatever reason on my Uuni2, only the Uuni brand pellets would burn hot/uninterrupted. The Amazen ones, and some other ones I got off Amazon kept going out, and didn't burn nearly as hot. At the time, there was an entry on the Uuni FAQ that specifically called out that "Uuni pellets are higher quality, pure wood, and will burn much better" or some such thing.

Hopefully the newer Uuni is a little less particular.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm debating between the Ooni Koda 16 and the Roccbox. While I like the additional size of the Ooni, the wood & propane fuel options on the Roccbox seem more convenient/versatile. Anybody have strong arguments/anecdotes one way or another?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nwin posted:

Yeah I dunno. I mainly do NY style pizzas. I have a Blackstone pizza grill that uses propane and that works well enough for when I want to do neopolitan...not nearly as hot as a pizza party but still up to 800 degrees or so.

I mostly do NY-style in my pizza oven. There's no reason a wood-fired oven can't manage that.

I mean, then there's the bread, the casseroles, and all the other poo poo that gets crammed into it in August when you want to rebel against the weather and have Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I mostly do NY-style in my pizza oven. There's no reason a wood-fired oven can't manage that.

I mean, then there's the bread, the casseroles, and all the other poo poo that gets crammed into it in August when you want to rebel against the weather and have Thanksgiving.

Looks like pizza party isn’t available to ship to the US anymore:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60502.msg607473#msg607473