Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Wasn’t there something about blue pallets and how there’s one company that owns them and they charge you an arm and a leg if they’re lost/damaged (or, perhaps, waterlogged)?

Blue pallets are the OS software of the logistics world. You don't own them, you rent them.

quote:

CHEP pallets remain the property of CHEP, and must be made available for return to them.

CHEP is the trade name for the "Commonwealth Handling Equipment Pool"

They cannot be bought, they can only be rented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That reads like the opening scrolling text for an absolutely terrible 80's/90's dystopian sci-fi movie.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah it’s got a lotta snake plissken energy to it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can I get sued if I buy a bunch of normal pallets and paint them blue?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you run a warehouse, you're not going to de-pallet incoming goods - they're going to stay on the pallet the entire time they're with you. So who owns the pallet? Do you also buy an actual pallet from your individual suppliers for every pallet of goods they send you? (What do you do with all those excess pallets once you no longer need them?) Do you figure out logistics of returning their particular pallets to them once you're done? (What if you're shipping them, still on the pallet, to some other customer?) Do you give them an "equivalent" pallet whenever they give you one? (Who eats the cost when a pallet is damaged beyond usability?)

All of those options suck.

The idea behind a pallet pool is that nobody needs to worry about who "owns" a particular pallet, instead the common pool handles all the pallet logistics. As you might expect from a widely-used centralised logistics system, it was originally run by the military, and was then privatised after the war.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Sydin posted:

In the US, nobody is allowed to copyright or trademark a color anymore. UPS had their shade of brown on lockdown for a long time, but I think they were the last to expire since the laws got changed. Specifying colors in a very specific piece of trademarkable logo is another story. In some far flung future, they'll have a archeological exhibit to the iconoclast forklift driver born in September who sprayed all his pallets blue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sydin posted:

Painting them blue is probably not a problem. Painting them blue and then trying to return them probably would be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not entirely sure what the motivation is for painting your own pallets, that you own, to try and make it look like they're not actually yours.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

d3lness posted:

In the US, nobody is allowed to copyright or trademark a color anymore. UPS had their shade of brown on lockdown for a long time, but I think they were the last to expire since the laws got changed. Specifying colors in a very specific piece of trademarkable logo is another story. In some far flung future, they'll have a archeological exhibit to the iconoclast forklift driver born in September who sprayed all his pallets blue.

Customs still destroys imports of yellow multimeters because of Fluke iirc.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jabor posted:

If you run a warehouse, you're not going to de-pallet incoming goods - they're going to stay on the pallet the entire time they're with you. So who owns the pallet?

You own the pallet. It came with the goods and is considered cost of doing business. You can resell the pallets back to suppliers or logistics companies if you want, you can send it on to the next company, or you can keep it forever. Pallet pools are stupid because a pallet is cheap and not a durable good so why would it be worth leasing? I dont return my amazon boxes and I dont expect customers to return boxes to me and I sure dont expect anyone to come to my work and charge me because someone sent me something in a box with their logo on it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Customs still destroys imports of yellow multimeters because of Fluke iirc.

I can't image that they legally should be able to unless they're sporting a fake logo. This country also loving sucks so...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If CHEP was some social pool of pallets (and everyone using it could be trusted) it would own. But they make their buck running the pallet inquisition. Someone knocks a rack over, the front office accountant hears with supernatural hearing and runs onto the floor yelling "bros are the CHEPs ok?" He makes a note to later ask operations if they can make the CHEPs an A cycle count just to make sure the CHEP ledger doesn't have a chance to deviate from the centrally tracked inventory.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

d3lness posted:

I can't image that they legally should be able to unless they're sporting a fake logo. This country also loving sucks so...

Fluke has a trademark on yellow-housing, gray-faceplate (not just yellow) electronic testing equipment. They have argued, I would say correctly, that their particular color scheme on the type of equipment they sell is as distinctive as a logo. Essentially every single product they sell is that color, and if you see a yellow-and-gray multimeter anywhere in the country you can assume it's a Fluke.

The specific event Ornamental Dingbat is talking about was when SparkFun, an electronics company in Colorado, imported a bunch of yellow-and-gray discount multimeters to put in beginners' electronics kits and a customs agent in LA happened to notice and had them destroyed. SparkFun made a big boohoo about how big meanie Fluke was preventing young people from learning electronics (:rolleyes:) and Fluke noted that they were protecting their trademark, which they legally have to do lest it get genericized and anyone be able to copy the look of their meters. Whether you like that idea or not, it is probably true that people currently see a meter in the Fluke color pattern and go "oh, that's a good one, and probably expensive." I certainly do.

Incidentally, after that event Fluke donated a bunch of their own multimeters to schools as a gesture of good faith.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GotLag posted:

There's a certain kind of naivete that doesn't realise/can't accept it's just a badly-faked CE mark, and fumbles for an explanation that involves people acting in good(-ish) faith.

Also taking seriously the joke explanation for the meaning of CE.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Fluke has a trademark on yellow-housing, gray-faceplate (not just yellow) electronic testing equipment.

That I can understand. If you're straight up aping a look, then you should get shut down. I honestly thought they got destroyed just because the plastic was a shade of yellow.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah at that point you're not trademarking a color but you're protecting trade dress. UPS can't trademark brown, but a delivery guy in all brown driving a rectangular brown truck with a shield saying "PACKAGES" probably is trying to infringe the trade dress. If the "look and feel" of how a product is presented in the marketplace is sufficiently distinctive that by itself it can identify the source then you get to claim it. I have no familiarity with Fluke products but if in the market their "thing" is yellow/grey housing and they can provide evidence that it's distinctive then that's how IP law works.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's certainly distinctive enough that everyone thinks my crappy old rat shack multimeter in yellow and grey is a fluke until they get close enough to see the logo.

Here's a picture of the model from ebay, it's not loving around with the colors at all.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 20, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I didn't realise till I just did some research on it but CHEP is an Australian company that was set up by the government with surplus eequipment after the second world war. It's been in private hands since the late 1950's. The guys who pickup and return the pallets to the yard like to stack those fuckers high on their trucks.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody with a forklift can drain a decorative pond. Only a real forklift operator can fill it back up again afterwards.

But only with a suspiciously-specific T-shirt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

insta posted:

But only with a suspiciously-specific T-shirt.

Yeah I drive a
FORKLIFT
and I
DRAIN DECORATIVE PONDS
if you don't like it
SUCK MY rear end

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I drive a
FORKLIFT
and I
DRAIN DECORATIVE PONDS
if you don't like it
SUCK MY rear end

Needs more "BORN IN SEPTEMBER" and "LISTENS TO NEO-PROG. ROCK FROM 1991-1996" though.

And skulls.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
You ladies need to stop eye loving my tow man husband!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THIS LADY IS TAKEN BY A
FORKLIFT DRIVER
WHO LOVES ME AND IS
STRANGELY ATHLETIC FOR HIS SIZE

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU CAN SUCK
MY BUTT THROUGH MY ZUBAZ

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 20, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kw0134 posted:

Yeah at that point you're not trademarking a color but you're protecting trade dress. UPS can't trademark brown, but a delivery guy in all brown driving a rectangular brown truck with a shield saying "PACKAGES" probably is trying to infringe the trade dress.

(US, but there is a lot of International harmonization for the usual reasons)

1. You don’t trademark a color, you trademark a color being used in commerce with a certain list of goods and services.

2. UPS totally can trademark brown for delivery services and has: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/27396/9-trademarked-colors

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/y457His.mp4

from imgur:

Smallwood Dam 43.814044 -84.376632

Drone video from earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMcf-El1xcI&fbclid=IwAR2Lly3xDSE3dyfJfxVaI6qxlwFTJFS_425-siJrNaEhGOy0vHMg0l0_xM8

This has caused a domino effect collapsing the next Dam.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

starkebn posted:

from imgur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMcf-El1xcI&fbclid=IwAR2Lly3xDSE3dyfJfxVaI6qxlwFTJFS_425-siJrNaEhGOy0vHMg0l0_xM8

is this the thing in Michigan my news feed keeps nudging at me, involving an evacuation of a couple thou?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

is this the thing in Michigan my news feed keeps nudging at me, involving an evacuation of a couple thou?

10,000 so far. Yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQh7kIDvNLw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWPQNa6OjE

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush posted:

Fluke has a trademark on yellow-housing, gray-faceplate (not just yellow) electronic testing equipment. They have argued, I would say correctly, that their particular color scheme on the type of equipment they sell is as distinctive as a logo. Essentially every single product they sell is that color, and if you see a yellow-and-gray multimeter anywhere in the country you can assume it's a Fluke.

The specific event Ornamental Dingbat is talking about was when SparkFun, an electronics company in Colorado, imported a bunch of yellow-and-gray discount multimeters to put in beginners' electronics kits and a customs agent in LA happened to notice and had them destroyed. SparkFun made a big boohoo about how big meanie Fluke was preventing young people from learning electronics (:rolleyes:) and Fluke noted that they were protecting their trademark, which they legally have to do lest it get genericized and anyone be able to copy the look of their meters. Whether you like that idea or not, it is probably true that people currently see a meter in the Fluke color pattern and go "oh, that's a good one, and probably expensive." I certainly do.

Incidentally, after that event Fluke donated a bunch of their own multimeters to schools as a gesture of good faith.

Disney does the same thing... they’re very protective of their stuff but they do circle back and do goodwill efforts usually. Disney still may suck for many other reasons.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I keep seeing the oft-quoted figure of levees 'being a century old'. This is kind of weird to me because, while yes, levees do require maintenance like any other human built structure, it's essentially a shaped pile of dirt (and other rubble). There are levees all over the world that are in the hundreds or thousands of years old, because again, it's a pile of dirt. What other kind of maintenance does a levee really require?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A White Guy posted:

I keep seeing the oft-quoted figure of levees 'being a century old'. This is kind of weird to me because, while yes, levees do require maintenance like any other human built structure, it's essentially a shaped pile of dirt (and other rubble). There are levees all over the world that are in the hundreds or thousands of years old, because again, it's a pile of dirt. What other kind of maintenance does a levee really require?

The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers has a manual to help you and your local government understand what you need to do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really important that your pile of dirt remains a pile of dirt instead of, for example, slowly turning into a pile of mud.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Y'all are forgetting those weirdly specific Star Wars crawl litany shirts typically end with a "they'll never find the body" threat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

Practice makes perfect but how do people even practice these things? It's not like you can wear a backup chute if get tangled in the cables.

Belly chutes for the backup ?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

starkebn posted:

from imgur:

engineer 1: wait, we just pile up dirt to stop the water?
engineer 2: duh
engineer 1: doesn't... water turn dirt into mud?
engineer 2: not if grass turns the dirt into roots! duh!
engineer 1: grass roots are like six inches deep
engineer 2: look, you're just not a cultural fit here. we're a solutions focused company, and you seem to lack a growth mindset. we wish you all the best in your future endeavors. do not contact us for a reference. namaste.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

starkebn posted:

from imgur:

Did a forklift do that one too?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers has a manual to help you and your local government understand what you need to do.

Gonna send this to Nintendo so they can implement it in Animal Crossing and put the Egg Day in proper perspective.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I thought this was a mime at first....

:stare:

the fart question posted:

Did a forklift do that one too?
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

McSpanky posted:

The app converts imgur page links, vanilla SA/SALR doesn't.

When you upload an image to imgur, there's a little arrow in the upper right corner of the pic. Hover over that, pick "Get share links" and copy the "BBcode (forums)" option. If it's something ginormous, add a t in front of the img in the {img} tags to thumbnail it.

got it — thanks for chiming in