Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Could I get an invite too? NA

@ChimChimCheroo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

My RL friends abandoned ship faster than usual, and while healing on both sorc and necro were genuinely fun, it's time to pivot to my natural role: masochist.

Nightblade tank is go.

I'm sure I'll have a mental breakdown and also level a DK tank for whatever reason.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

havent played since a few months after summerset and thinking of picking up elswyer. did stamplars get any nerfs while i was gone?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Best feature of being a vampire: run-speed while stealthing everywhere, hell yeah
Worst feature: Looking really bad

Update: "With Update 26, the team has also changed the way you must manage the four stages of the blood curse. You can increase your stage by feeding on NPCs, but they also slowly decrease over time, forcing you to embrace your dark side if you wish to retain your most-deadly powers."

So.. kept the bad part, but now you have to do X every X hours to keep the good part?

Hopefully I'm interpreting this part wrongly. It definitely makes more sense from a lore point of view, but it doesnt exactly add to the game (for me).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Aren't they changing basically everything about being a vampire? All the skills and stuff are going to be different. I'm not really sure what kind of class its going to complement since the cost of using your non vamp skills is going up a lot, unless the vampire skills themselves end up being really powerful.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Stealth-run is the best skill in the entire game. If they touch the skill in any way, it better loving be making it the new default crouched speed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Made me think to say that playing a Stam based wood elf is loving cool. I can run longer than most horses and faster than some of them too.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

DLC dungeons really show you how bad the average player is at this game. How people can have 400-600 champion points and still not be able to do basic mechanics blows my mind. Tank would constantly die to Chudan because he just couldn't understand blocking the acid spit and it took forever because I was the only one who would do the charge mechanic to kill the shields correctly. I'm pretty sure I spent more time healing him on his rear end than upright because I don't think he blocked once. Xal-Nur took multiple wipes because despite explaining it multiple times people would run over the green smoke and then never cleanse it so the boss stayed immune. And the last boss took 5 tries because no one would switch targets to kill the stupid totem. I had to do it myself every time and we finally beat it when I didn't get hexed because no one would point out the right statue. I have to stop playing after that because I want to reach through my monitor and strangle people through the internet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have 400CP and have never done a DLC dungeon, I just do story stuff.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

GreenNight posted:

I have 400CP and have never done a DLC dungeon, I just do story stuff.

same 600 here and ive probably done 10 dungeons total. group dungeons seem kinda time consuming and its hard to find the time to do them where i wont be interupted by real life stuff. i also only have dps guys so im lucky if i get a hit on the group finder.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm only DPS too. I've done dozens and dozens of undaunted dungeons, but no vet or DLC dungeons. Normal dungeons are all cake and busy work.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I currently just grind to 810. Maybe I'll do a dungeon then, but probably not.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'm only DPS too. I've done dozens and dozens of undaunted dungeons, but no vet or DLC dungeons. Normal dungeons are all cake and busy work.
This. Over 500 CP and the only time I've done a DLC dungeon was when I queued for a random dungeon and got pulled into frostvault. That was not fun, though luckily one of the other randoms knew how to do the dungeon and we got through it eventually.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I just hit CP 160, what are the easiest vet dungeons to run to get a decent monster set going?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Diephoon posted:

I just hit CP 160, what are the easiest vet dungeons to run to get a decent monster set going?

Selene's for DPS and Darkshade 1 for heals are pretty easy.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

took down my first non plot related dragon. i had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on it was just a giant mass of explosions going off from everyones attacks. it also oneshot me at some point from full health so i probably need more than 16k.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

took down my first non plot related dragon. i had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on it was just a giant mass of explosions going off from everyones attacks. it also oneshot me at some point from full health so i probably need more than 16k.
More health probably won't help. The dragons have a lot of one-shot abilities, and several other attacks that cause huge amounts of damage. It's best to accept that if you're hunting dragons, you'll probably die once or twice.

If you want some tips: Hunt the Southern Elsweyr dragons. The Northern Elsweyr ones are too far from the wayshrines, so it's difficult to find groups hunting them. Meanwhile there's always a large group going after the Southern ones.
Use ranged attacks so you can avoid the bite, wing, and tail attacks. It's generally safer to be on the sides/back of the dragon, to avoid the breath attacks.
Stay out of the frost dragon's blizzard unless you have a lot of self-heal. Watch your health, because I've noticed that the damage field of the blizzard doesn't always match the visual field perfectly.
If you get a glowy yellow/purple aura, you'll need to purge yourself* to clean the soul tear DOT or you'll die.
Once they take off, start watching the ground. They'll usually summon adds, and then start spamming ranged attacks at the ground, so stay out of the red circles.

Also, I have more problems with lag when hunting dragons than anywhere else I play in the game, but I don't have any tips for that. Just have a lot of filled soul gems.

And you might as well get the dragonguard dailies if you're going to hunt dragons. You get various unlocks for doing dailies (until you've done 30 of them), and one of the dailies is killing 3 dragons. Which you can do fairly fast in Southern Elsweyr.

* Or have a whole lot of self-healing

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

new moon acolyte a good replacement for hundings or is the extra stamina cost not worth it?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The DLC structure of this game is really wacky to me and I'm struggling with FOMO just playing the base game. I've dabbled a few times but never really got that far because of this.

If I really get into it and hit endgame I'm fine to pick up the old DLCS (or sub I guess) and just enjoy them at that point? I guess there are a couple of classes locked behind the DLC but I can worry about that when I get to it?

I'm kinda enjoying the super early game right now. I like that you can skip the tutorial after you've done it once, finally!

edit: did they ever add gamepad support to the pc version? Always seemed weird to me that they have the controls right there on console but they decided not to use them on pc...

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 18, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah you can use a pad on PC. It's the only way I can tolerate playing it honestly.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you can use a pad on PC. It's the only way I can tolerate playing it honestly.

Ok rad, this will work for sitting in front of the tv playing on my ipad :D

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

LeFishy posted:

The DLC structure of this game is really wacky to me and I'm struggling with FOMO just playing the base game. I've dabbled a few times but never really got that far because of this.

If I really get into it and hit endgame I'm fine to pick up the old DLCS (or sub I guess) and just enjoy them at that point? I guess there are a couple of classes locked behind the DLC but I can worry about that when I get to it?

I'm kinda enjoying the super early game right now. I like that you can skip the tutorial after you've done it once, finally!

edit: did they ever add gamepad support to the pc version? Always seemed weird to me that they have the controls right there on console but they decided not to use them on pc...

There’s no missing out except for cosmetic things sometimes being limited time and discounts in the Crown Store.

You can go do DLC later.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

does having a full time thief/assassin character turn a good profit? cause i just started one and this is fun as hell.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was looking for a new game and was checking this out. I had forgot I actually bought vanilla a long time ago but didn't like it for some reason, so I downloaded it again.

I think if anyone is on the edge whether you want to try this, don't bother checking out Twitch streams or anything, those are all PVP or high level dungeons zoomed out a mile from their character with 1000 modded icons and numbers all over the screen. Playing solo, I found it kinda wonky and dull at first but once I started doing story stuff it grew on me. It's a more MMO-ey Skyrim without being a whack-a-mole with cooldowns like WoW. Even in vanilla there still seems like a lot to do.

I think my only real complaint is that while I prefer it with a controller, that makes all the text ridiculously vision-impaired huge and they removed the text resize options for controller mode because it caused too many issues. Suggestions for any mods to fix that would be appreciated.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ASenileAnimal posted:

does having a full time thief/assassin character turn a good profit? cause i just started one and this is fun as hell.

Yes, stealing is probably the quickest way to make lots of gold, provided you only fence greens and above, and max out the skill line. The addon LazyThief helps. Docks in Daggerfall are good if you want to grind with no risk.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Coming back after a break, looking for an invite to the guild. Thanks! @Natsuumi

e: got the invite, thanks

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 19, 2020

bio force ape
Apr 3, 2016

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, stealing is probably the quickest way to make lots of gold, provided you only fence greens and above, and max out the skill line. The addon LazyThief helps. Docks in Daggerfall are good if you want to grind with no risk.

I was actually shocked at how good the Daggerfall docks were for theft and the occasional assassination

highly recommended you go there

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Roman posted:

don't bother checking out Twitch streams or anything, those are all PVP or high level dungeons zoomed out a mile from their character with 1000 modded icons and numbers all over the screen.

That’s pretty much twitch in general right? I could see myself watching someone quest and explore if they had a decent personality which is asking too much I guess.

I want the Bob Ross of mmo streamers

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Snowy posted:

That’s pretty much twitch in general right? I could see myself watching someone quest and explore if they had a decent personality which is asking too much I guess.
Those people do exist. I was talking about getting a general vibe of the game, which player streams/YT videos aren't good at. Right now I'm basically playing it as a single player ES game except some other people show up once in a while, which is what I wanted, as opposed to managing a bunch of bars all over the screen.

I also love the world scaling and the freedom to play whatever quest you want instead of being trapped in leveled areas like other MMOs.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Snowy posted:

Alas, the closest we get are ASMR Skyrim streamers.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Since quality of thieving loot scales with legerdemain, a good spot to boost legerdemain is the city next to the lake in Craglorn. You can loot like 50 apples a run in the garden and max out your fenced items in around ten minutes a day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
alright, I think I'm finally gonna come back to this. I was trying to wait for Greymoor, but eh. I'm going to make a new character and everything probs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've never played ESO but I have one question about the lore/tone of the game.

Where does the writing fall on the batshit scale between "boring vanilla MMO" and "Morrowind Lore"?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
hi

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I've never played ESO but I have one question about the lore/tone of the game.

Where does the writing fall on the batshit scale between "boring vanilla MMO" and "Morrowind Lore"?

About as vanilla as Skyrim (compared to Morrowind)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I actually decided, I'm going to treat this like a single player game that I occasionally have to group up with people for. I'm gonna take my time oon the content, because I rushed though a lot of the quests last time I played.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

eonwe posted:

I actually decided, I'm going to treat this like a single player game that I occasionally have to group up with people for. I'm gonna take my time oon the content, because I rushed though a lot of the quests last time I played.

This is the only way to play.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Agreed, the questing is the game. The PvP is really poo poo imo.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It’s mostly “boring vanilla MMO” with a thin coating of Elder Scrolls lore on top of it. The expansions have slightly higher quality writing but that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

eonwe posted:

ive done this and its great. my 2hander stamina templar is prettymuch indestructable unless im in a group dungeon or world boss. i know everyone swears by dual wield but rally and brawler are just too good for me to give up.