Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be funny. It's far too coherent to be a boomer rant.

Why is Leon Kennedy sneaking past Pyramid Head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

These kinds of literary nerd friendships are heartwarming to think about, I always have to think of Lovecraft and the Conan guy and how they might have shared ideas on how to handle their respective depression/ anxiety.

From the little I've read of their correspondence, they kind of did, but it took the form of badmouthing minorities

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

These kinds of literary nerd friendships are heartwarming to think about, I always have to think of Lovecraft and the Conan guy and how they might have shared ideas on how to handle their respective depression/ anxiety.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

My favourite literary/entertainer bro-down was Harry Houdini (one of history's greatest skeptics and hoax debunkers) and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (who totally fell for the Cottingley Fairies photography hoax). Houdini tried for years to convince Doyle that seances and the supernatural were all a load of hokum and he so completely failed to get the message across that at one point Doyle tried to convince Houdini that his escapology & stage illusion stunts were clear proof that Houdini had magical powers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

From the little I've read of their correspondence, they kind of did, but it took the form of badmouthing minorities

From what I've heart, Robert actually managed to upset Lovecraft a fair bit by pointing out colonialism is just as savage as anything nonwhites supposedly did, which is kind of a theme in Conan.

I dunno how well it worked out given Lovecraft died from illness and poverty and spent his little remaining money on letters rather than medicine, and Howard (the other Howard) lived with his mother all his life and killed himself shortly after he died.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My favourite literary/entertainer bro-down was Harry Houdini (one of history's greatest skeptics and hoax debunkers) and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (who totally fell for the Cottingley Fairies photography hoax). Houdini tried for years to convince Doyle that seances and the supernatural were all a load of hokum and he so completely failed to get the message across that at one point Doyle tried to convince Houdini that his escapology & stage illusion stunts were clear proof that Houdini had magical powers.

I hope this is true because I love it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno how well it worked out given Lovecraft died from illness and poverty and spent his little remaining money on letters rather than medicine, and Howard (the other Howard) lived with his mother all his life and killed himself shortly after he died.

Actually he killed himself before she died. She was in a coma and doctors said she wouldn't wake. Dead enough I guess, but I happened to have read the guy's wikipedia article a few months back and remembered this.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Didn't Howard also claim that the inspiration for Conan came from Conan magically appearing behind him one night as he was writing at his typewriter?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dillbag posted:

Didn't Howard also claim that the inspiration for Conan came from Conan magically appearing behind him one night as he was writing at his typewriter?

Geez, a similar experience would've been rather traumatic for Lovecraft.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Since this is the funny pictures thread, from the comic Planetary, an appearance from the man himself:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Yer a wizard, Harry."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

"Yer a wizard, Harry."

"Listen here, Doyle, you FAT OAF! I'm not a loving wizard!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

Geez, a similar experience would've been rather traumatic for Lovecraft.

That would explain a lot, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OwlFancier posted:

"Yer a wizard, Harry."

Hyperlynx posted:

"Listen here, Doyle, you FAT OAF! I'm not a loving wizard!"

lmbo

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read the Narnia books as a kid and I literally had no idea the lion was anything but a lion :kiddo:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I read the Narnia books as a kid and I literally had no idea the lion was anything but a lion :kiddo:

Doesn't the lion literally say "I am Jesus" at one point?

Like, not gonna judge you too harshly because I remember getting to that part as a kid and being all "what the gently caress, this was supposed to be a cool adventure with dragons and wizards"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I also didn't pick up on the Jesus until much later.

Not a lot of Jesus in my immediate sphere, so I wasn't very familiar with the source material

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I was raised catholic and didn't figure that poo poo out when I first read the book.

To be fair I think I was like 9 or 10.

Anyway, Jesus sucks. Because he's a generous lover.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Agents are GO! posted:

Let's party like its page 1999.

Hey fellow goon, I tried googling "funny party" to find a pic to add to this, but that's like the worst search term on Google, second only to "party fail", which I also tried (these were 100% late aughts-style image macros), so I got COVID depressed and gave up. I'm sorry we couldn't get the party started.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kenning posted:

Hey fellow goon, I tried googling "funny party" to find a pic to add to this, but that's like the worst search term on Google, second only to "party fail", which I also tried (these were 100% late aughts-style image macros), so I got COVID depressed and gave up. I'm sorry we couldn't get the party started.

That's why you put in 'goon party' so you can find the true party spirit with people playing 'goon of fortune'

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Inceltown posted:

That's why you put in 'goon party' so you can find the true party spirit with people playing 'goon of fortune'

?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Every decision in this photo is poor.

I know big chungus is supposed to be the focus but just look at these people. Every item of clothing, the hair cuts, the glasses, the tattoos, the cigar, the tarps, every choice they ever made was wrong.

Lizard Combatant has a new favorite as of 09:23 on May 20, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I can smell this photo and my eyes are watering

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

I can smell this photo and my eyes are watering

Nostalgia tears :mmmhmm: At least you were smart enough to bring a chair.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have that pic of that dude who’s just chillin with puke on his shirt like it’s NBD, that’s my go to goon party image

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

Does anyone have that pic of that dude who’s just chillin with puke on his shirt like it’s NBD, that’s my go to goon party image

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dillbag posted:

Not just appearing, threatening to kill Howard with his ax iirc.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lizard Combatant posted:

Every decision in this photo is poor.

I know big chungus is supposed to be the focus but just look at these people. Every item of clothing, the hair cuts, the glasses, the tattoos, the cigar, the tarps, every choice they ever made was wrong.

I was gonna say that the girl in the blue fleece looks pretty normal, but then I realized where she was...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is that the goon who slept all night in that chair and just tucked his arms in his shirt?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you. I forgot there were two and both sum up my feelings spot on

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is that the goon who slept all night in that chair and just tucked his arms in his shirt?

Some say he's still there to this day...

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Kart Barfunkel posted:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If I wasn’t busy I’d be making a character select screen with these holy moly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I am seriously impressed by that chair.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I am seriously impressed by that chair.

The chair however is thoroughly unimpressed with the situation.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, the top one looks like he was saying something incredibly wise when this happened. Perhaps a secret that will never be known to the world?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aginor posted:

I mean, the top one looks like he was saying something incredibly wise when this happened. Perhaps a secret that will never be known to the world?

He's making an extremely good point, in Norwegian.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He's making an extremely good point, in Norwegian.

In Norwegian? Even more mysterious!

Honestly, I would quite happily have a painting of this picture in my living room. It's truly wonderous. Who are these goons anyway?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aginor posted:

In Norwegian? Even more mysterious!

Honestly, I would quite happily have a painting of this picture in my living room. It's truly wonderous. Who are these goons anyway?

They are all of us. This is pure goon id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

They are all of us. This is pure goon id.

Not this lad! Can't throw up if you don't eat. Eating is cheating when drinking.