Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

New dev diary and possibly release on june 9th.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/euiv-development-diary-12th-of-may-2020.1389519/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

God I sure hope so!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"The German mission tree takes a lot of inspiration, as you might expect, from Imperial Germany and the accomplishments of Bismarck. "

Okay, sure. An alternate history where a Germany united in the 18th century could plausibly act similarly to the real world 19th century Germany.

*Perma claims on all of the Low Countries, Italy, France, and Poland in one mission*
*Perma claims on the Baltic, Scandinavia, and Carpathia regions after that*
*Perma claim on London* [just London?]

O-Oh. I don't really care if tags that are hard to form have powerful missions, but Paradox clearly has a different conception of Bismark's accomplishments than I do, lmao.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

O-Oh. I don't really care if tags that are hard to form have powerful missions, but Paradox clearly has a different conception of Bismark's accomplishments than I do, lmao.

They couldn't just come out and say "the aspirations of Nazi Germany", it might look bad.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

*Perma claims on all of the Low Countries, Italy, France, and Poland in one mission*
*Perma claims on the Baltic, Scandinavia, and Carpathia regions after that*
*Perma claim on London* [just London?]

I'm in favor of this set of claims, but only if it requires you to declare all the wars at once and get partitioned if you lose

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I just had my first war against France as a non-combat country, and, well :suicide:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There's a countdown in the dev clash stream today, it's at 2 hours right now - I'm assuming to a trailer/release announcement.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Europa Universalis 4: Emperor is releasing 9th of June 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Europa Universalis 4: Emperor is releasing 9th of June 2020

That's so drat far away. I was going to leave my game on this but I don't think I want to wait that long.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am so hype for the return of.vassal france

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
How current is the OP? I see that a bunch of the DLC is half off and I'm wondering what the consensus must-haves are? I purchased Res Publica, Art of War, Wealth of Nations, and Conquest of History a few years ago. Not sure what to grab while things are on sale.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There have been two expansions since the OP was written, but I don't think either of them changed very much. There is going to be a major expansion in early June (probably the last one in EU4's lifetime), though, and it has some pretty hefty changes in it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not having any luck figuring this out on the wiki or with google, do leaders in combat affect only the troops/ships in their own stack, or is the best leader used for all the troops/ships in the battle regardless of stacks?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One leader per side per battle, applies to the whole lot. Same with tech, fighting wars alongside allies with less military tech can get you into really bad situations.

How the battle leader is selected I'm not actually sure, but I think it gives preference to Monarchs serving as generals.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Isn’t there some pay as you go “all dlcs” thing going on?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Isn’t there some pay as you go “all dlcs” thing going on?

Yeah and if I hadn't already bought all the dlc I'd jump on it. Because I play a ton for a month or two then take half year breaks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

There have been two expansions since the OP was written, but I don't think either of them changed very much. There is going to be a major expansion in early June (probably the last one in EU4's lifetime), though, and it has some pretty hefty changes in it.

I'm hopeful that we will see an EUV one day, and that it will take the best of EUIV's mechanics (including DLC) and turn them into a coherent whole. I wasn't expecting CKIII either, but there it is.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm expecting that Emperor will be to EU4 what Holy Fury was to CK2

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I had no idea that in the colony vassal menu there's a button that lets you force the colony to declare a war on its own, but it's great for stealing other European nations' colonies without ever having to actually fight the European nation. I was playing Prussia/Germany, picked up some of the Caribbean from a war with Portugal and Britain already owned the rest of the region. I was just able to fabricate claims for my colony using espionage ideas and let it conquer the rest of the British Caribbean without ever having to fight Britain and deal with her 150 million invincible heavy ships. I didn't even get an opinion malus with GB, even though I'd stolen like 10 provinces from them in a war that I told my colony to start.

The moral of the story is, why bother taking expansion or exploration when you can just steamroll Portgual's terrible armies and steal everything from it in the 1700s :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm expecting that Emperor will be to EU4 what Holy Fury was to CK2
I was out of the CK2 loop by the time Holy Fury came out - what did that one do to it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was out of the CK2 loop by the time Holy Fury came out - what did that one do to it?

It was basically their last hurrah for CK2. It added a lot more stuff than usual while completely overhauling some systems, and all of the changes were pretty well received.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Also it wasn't really the end. Later patches added a new starting date, a significant court rework, and wonders of the world.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm actually really enjoying current eu4 so that would be great

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

re ck2, did they ever do away with choosing two educations for every single child born in your empire, or threat (ck2's AE) from your vassal kings' wars making it impossible to go to war without declaring on the entire world once you reach the empire stage? those two things killed that game for me

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 17, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the Defensive Pact thing is irritating as hell though, but I honestly loved being back with CK2s wargoal system. If I take what we're fighting for in it's entirety, the AI will admit it's lost, without having to fight for five years.

Which admittedly made reconquering the Mediterranean as the Roman Empire super duper easy, but still.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You can turn off defensive pacts and still get achievements in ironman.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

They added a Court Tutor honorary title that will automatically make education choices for children in your court.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

You can turn off defensive pacts and still get achievements in ironman.

Various Meat Products posted:

They added a Court Tutor honorary title that will automatically make education choices for children in your court.

Oh nice, maybe I'll give it another spin some time. Does the court tutor auto assign educations for your actual heirs though? I'd want to assign those myself, it's all the random courtiers' kids I got fed up with getting notifications for. But I couldn't just ignore the education notifications because then I'd miss it for my heirs.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Tutor just becomes the default educator instead of the player character. You can manually assign yourself or whoever you want to educate your kids.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oh so it doesn't do the thing where you pick from martial/intrigue etc education for you? that's the part i found annoying

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

It does that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't trust the AI with those decisions - especially when traits like Zealous make them be jerks to your children, or so I've heard?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it's not your heir or your spare, why do you care?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:psyduck: I didn't even know this could happen

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, so I'm trying to finish a couple of achievements before emperor. I wanted to do Gold Rush, Mare Nostrum, and Re-Reconquista. I tried doing gold rush a few times as great horde (conquering ryazan at start and then warring muscovy when they attack novgorod) but i just kept getting decimated. I think by waiting so long they would get a mil tech advantage on me?

Went for Re-Reconquista and finished it first try, apparently starting off by full annexing tlemcen gives you a good starting base of power.

Right now I'm trying gold rush as kazan and everything is going so loving well. I have all the provinces I need from great horde, nogai, and all but one from muscovy. I still have 40 years and most of the wars have been effortless. Only thing I can think of that's different is I just attacked muscovy in 1444

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I did Gold Rush as Great Horde a couple of days ago:

0. Ally Uzbek.

1. Annex Ryazan, embrace feudalism, release as vassal

2. Improve relations with Ottomans, secure RM and alliance.

3. Attack Kazan who brings in Crimea, bypassing Crimeas Otto alliance

4. Attack Nogai who coveniently also is allied with Crimea

5. Build up favors with Otto by attacking Theodoro and giving him Trebizond

6. Attack Muscowy bringing in Ottomans

The key here is, as it often is, that the Otto alliance deters an early DoW from Muscowy while you're busy. I reached mil 4 before Muscowy so I prob could have solo'd him anyways.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
two features I would find really useful:

an alert if a country I'm interested in goes to war

an alert if a country I'm interested in loses an ally or if their ally won't join a defensive war

I feel like I spend a lot of time constantly checking the declare war screen of countries waiting for an opportunity

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The first one of those you can definitely do already; check your message settings.

e: I checked and you can do both.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 20, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
oooooooh

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Right now I'm trying gold rush as kazan and everything is going so loving well. I have all the provinces I need from great horde, nogai, and all but one from muscovy. I still have 40 years and most of the wars have been effortless. Only thing I can think of that's different is I just attacked muscovy in 1444

Did it as Kazan myself. Kazan is arguably a lot easier than most horde starts because you start with a frickin' gold mine so your economy is not as cursed.

When I did it my first priority was to hit the Great Horde (by allying and calling in whatever rivals they had, don't remember) and then kill Crimea before they randomly ended up as an Ottoman subject. Stabbed Muscovy in the kidney while they were distracted fighting Novgorod.

I found a method that worked to defeat Muscovy was to settle for multiple small wars; be a bit judicious about war goal (usually tribal conquest, but a conquest CB for some province you can sit on works too); while they're still stronger than you, going for 100%-ish war score can be a mistake, but instead go for grabbing the ticking war score from sitting on the war goal ASAP, and run up the numbers until you can peace out for max cash and maybe just one or two or three provinces. If they have an ally you can declare on before the truce is up, great, do that again and get them to peace out just for max cash. After a few rounds of that the bastards went bankrupt and then it was easy to beat them up properly and take a lot of their juicier clay. After that they were a weak remnant which I could eat at my leisure.