Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Chariots typically seek any yellow or green infantry, make sure to issue an attack order, plow into them and pull out within 10-15 seconds to get distance before doing it again. It isn't a total disaster if you aren't microing that tightly but once your bonuses are gone you're relying on base stats, though many good chariots have high armor. Charge bonuses fade over 15 seconds but chariots are usually anti-infantry and have great charge stats, so they'll crash into the squad, disrupt it, murder a few dudes. This is why they're micro heavy but the results are pretty great. They can also be hammers, especially if you want them to survive charging into dangerous elites. And hey, most ranged and artillery are infantry or manned by it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, keep them moving. Charge in, and keep moving them around. Break off before getting bogged down and charge again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Cavalry and chariots remains my weak point, both to control and to fight against. I'm just not good at the micro needed to fight them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Onmi posted:

Cavalry and chariots remains my weak point, both to control and to fight against. I'm just not good at the micro needed to fight them.

they suck rear end
way too much work to use
way too much work to stop

ban all chariots

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

counter point would Settra be wrong didn't think so

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Thanks for the tips!

So does this apply to war wagons too...? Everybody says they suck but drat I like the things.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Neuronyx posted:

Thanks for the tips!

So does this apply to war wagons too...? Everybody says they suck but drat I like the things.

why do you like them? theyre bad at everything
mortar wagons are 'ok'

Doomykins posted:

counter point would Settra be wrong didn't think so

yeah but settras chariot is baller as gently caress, aint no base model chariot. dude got all the options

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Grom's chariot will be cool because he attacks while moving so you can mow some dudes down without having to give an attack order.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

War Wagons are OK as distractions that deal some damage but they have to compete with powerful outriders or cavalry. They're getting a nice damage buff with the upcoming patch on Thursday. I tried them as Gelt for a bit, having 4-5 on skirmish while I paid attention to units I valued worked decently. Not optimally mind you. They're just OK brainless armored meat shields with some mobility.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is it a mod or do war wagons allow you to re-load ammunition for nearby dudes because that is absolutely killer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

jokes posted:

Is it a mod or do war wagons allow you to re-load ammunition for nearby dudes because that is absolutely killer.

sfo, yeah its neat

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ammanas posted:

why do you like them? theyre bad at everything
mortar wagons are 'ok'

:negative: I just thought they looked cool... aside from the riderless horses that still somehow know where to go.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Neuronyx posted:

:negative: I just thought they looked cool... aside from the riderless horses that still somehow know where to go.

the ror is really good and should be recruitable

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am thankful that both pump wagons and the lion chariot seem fine to just sit in melee. (At least according to reports I've heard.) I'm okay at super heavy cav, like dragon princes, cant use medium cav(ie silver helms) for poo poo and at least with light cav I dont feel bad just using it to ensure routers stay routed. gently caress chariots though. Way too much work for their payoff while the AI just spins donuts and murders you with them.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I am alone in thinking chariots are cool and fun, I never would have guessed.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

No, friend! I as well! We're not alone! There has to be more of us. At least six!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I like chariots. :unsmith: I grew up on WC3 so it's comforting to repeatedly micro a unit in and out of battle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't hate them. I'm just poo poo.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Chocobo posted:

I am alone in thinking chariots are cool and fun, I never would have guessed.

Is the micro loop basically charge, wait 10 seconds, run, repeat?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tildes posted:

Chariots are also pretty great at just knocking dudes around indefinitely, whether they kill them or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whorelord posted:

I mean Marienburg delenda est so that's on you mate

I can never get around to killing them in any empire game I play because I always end up trolling an elector into secession before I get chance to. And then another one, and then another one and oh would you look at that it's the chaos world tour and now they're allied with half of brettonia.

Which is doubly annoying in SFO because they get a unique infantry grenadier unit as their elector unit and it would make a great addition to every army.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

tildes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnXR0QSwRI

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Karl you loving dirtbag.

I was doing well in a war with the vampires to the east as Gelt and Karl, whos land is, as we all know, generally loving MILES AWAY to the northwest, SWOOPS in and starts taking their territory, one by one. THESE WERE MY LANDS TO TAKE, YOU loving HACK. He has NO business going so far out of his way just to inconvenience me, holy poo poo I am legit mad.

Will I even be able to do Gelt's quest of carrying out a successful assassination attempt on vamps if this chucklefuck kills them all first?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

You probably won't use it much unless you have a faction that gets extraneous benefits from raiding (Skaven or DE) or if your economy is such a basket case that you have no alternative (Beastmen, Chaos).

Sacking is the big money.

Raiding has three general use cases (other than what you said) :
- you're on your way to blow up a city you won't reach this turn anyway, might as well make some chump change along the way
- you're allied with defensive allies of that guy or some other such diplomatic clusterfuck, in which case raiding becomes your "no, no, please, I insist, *you* declare war on me"
- you're in a poo poo attrition climate/season and you want to move a little bit faster than having to make camp at 50% movement.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Broken Cog posted:

Just imagine a single faction covering half the map, sending 2-3 armies at you every turn, and never ever going for peace treaties

Oh so it's empire/dwarfs in the current patch

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
At least the Green Tide is thematic.
Why am I murdering so many goddamn dwarves in Lustria?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Jarvisi posted:

Oh so it's empire/dwarfs in the current patch

Yeah no kidding I was doing a nice little Arkhan ME run when suddenly the Dwarfs declared war on me, dragging in literally every other Order faction and setting me against 20 stacks of Dwarfs, Empire, Bretonnia, Wood Elves and a few minor factions. The High Elves hadn't even turned up at that point and all I could think is "I can't wait for the next update when I genocide you gold-grabbing shitburgers"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Raiding has three general use cases (other than what you said) :
- you're on your way to blow up a city you won't reach this turn anyway, might as well make some chump change along the way

This doesn't come up very often, because flipping to raid stance costs 75% movement for most civs. There aren't many situations where 100% movement this turn isn't enough but 125% movement is and that 25% movement puts you in enemy territory.

For the civs where flipping to raid only costs 25% movement, it's a different case, of course, but those are generally civs that also get other bonuses to raiding. Even then, I find it's more useful to flip to ambush stance, which always costs 25% movement and makes the AI forget you exist for the turn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Got a battle query, not going to lose it, but wondering about my formation basically.

I'm on the Maelstrom map, fighting the Dreadfleet, because I'm moving to wipe them out, the middle of the map looks like a death zone, while the other hill looks more easily flanked. (AKA my Kryptonite) I don't have much of a frontline, which probably doesn't matter too much against the 'coast, but still need to keep it in mind. Basically wondering if this is a good set up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Onmi posted:

Got a battle query, not going to lose it, but wondering about my formation basically.

I'm on the Maelstrom map, fighting the Dreadfleet, because I'm moving to wipe them out, the middle of the map looks like a death zone, while the other hill looks more easily flanked. (AKA my Kryptonite) I don't have much of a frontline, which probably doesn't matter too much against the 'coast, but still need to keep it in mind. Basically wondering if this is a good set up.

you're going to be getting hit by a lot of AOE and ranged so you basically want your units as wide as possible in order to minimize damage. Also, you want to space out your frontline so that there are unit sized gaps between the melee fighters that your guns can shoot through. Finally, you're going to want to put your cav way farther left and right so they can either pull enemies away from your main force and kite them, or they have more space to maneuver in and take out ranged units or get flank charges.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 20, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

This doesn't come up very often, because flipping to raid stance costs 75% movement for most civs. There aren't many situations where 100% movement this turn isn't enough but 125% movement is and that 25% movement puts you in enemy territory.

For the civs where flipping to raid only costs 25% movement, it's a different case, of course, but those are generally civs that also get other bonuses to raiding. Even then, I find it's more useful to flip to ambush stance, which always costs 25% movement and makes the AI forget you exist for the turn.

I can’t think of a single faction that takes 75% to enter raid stance. I think this is a mod thing

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

War Wagons are getting some buffs in tomorrows patch.

quote:

War Wagons:
Increase Base missile damage from 3 to 5

Increased AP missile damage from 15 to 25

War Wagons (Mortars):
Increased Ammunition from 16 to 22

Increased Range from 340 to 380

Also in tomorrows patch every faction will be able to enter raid stance at 0% movement.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

yikes! posted:

I can’t think of a single faction that takes 75% to enter raid stance. I think this is a mod thing

It's the standard amount to switch. It costs 50% movement to switch raid stance on, and reduces movement by 25%. I'm not using any mods at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Neuronyx posted:

Will I even be able to do Gelt's quest of carrying out a successful assassination attempt on vamps if this chucklefuck kills them all first?

Region Trading Mod helps a lot with this in the long term. And every quest has a set of back up states in case the first quest offered becomes impossible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

It's the standard amount to switch. It costs 50% movement to switch raid stance on, and reduces movement by 25%. I'm not using any mods at all.
yikes! is right. You can move 50% of your movement and enter Raid stance. How does that equal "requiring" 75% movement to raid? I have played every faction and I have never been restricted to only moving 25% of my 100% of movement to enter Raiding stance.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

yikes! posted:

I just opened the game and took this screenshot.

I checked Vampire Counts and Dark Elves too just to be sure it wasn't a Bretonnia-only thing. It's not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a talent calculator out there. In WoW, I can go on wowhead and plan out traits for classes I haven't played yet. I would love such a thing for Warhammer 2, where I can just see exactly which traits each lord can unlock at which level, the trait's effects, and so on. And switch between generic and special heroes. Browsing the wiki I found is not very helpful in that regard.

Ideally, the talent calculator would have the same UI as the lord talent panel in warhammer, but any easy to use UI will work. Is there something like this anywhere?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I just opened the game and took this screenshot.

I checked Vampire Counts and Dark Elves too just to be sure it wasn't a Bretonnia-only thing. It's not.

What you do is move 50% from your normal stance, then switch to raiding. Come next turn, switch back to normal move, if you can't get out of attrition with your move then move 50%, switch back to raiding. So you are still getting 50% of your move, not 25%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

What you do is move 50% from your normal stance, then switch to raiding. Come next turn, switch back to normal move, if you can't get out of attrition with your move then move 50%, switch back to raiding. So you are still getting 50% of your move, not 25%.

Wow, that works. That is an incredibly rear end-backwards way for the game to work, lmao

Wouldn't it just be more efficient to stay in raiding stance next turn? Then you'd get your full 75% move.