Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

At some point I think I'm going to break down and order a used Olympus OM-D, probably the E-M5 II, with a zoom lens and a wide prime. There's a million zooms and I'll probably end up with one of the kit ones like the oly 12-45 or 14-150 to save money, any others I should keep an eye out for? There also don't seem to be a ton of primes wider than 17mm, and hidden gems at 12 or 14? I'm keeping my X100 so I don't have much of a need for another 35mm equivalent. There's also a chance I'll receive a blow to the head and buy a used X-Pro2 or X-T3 since I know which Fuji lenses I want but I wanted to check out another system..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The "hidden gem" wide prime m43 lens is the panaleica 15mm hands down.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A olympus 12-40mm f2.8 is cheaper than the 12-45mm f4 if you buy used.

The olympus 12mm isn't a bad lens, but maybe a bad value, for similar money used you can get the 12-40mm if you don't need the smallest lens possible. There is tiny 14mm f2.5 pancake, but the panasonic 15mm is better.

I would personally go for a panasonic 8-18mm, which is weather sealed and has a filter threads, and is not too much more used than the 12-40mm used or 12-45mm new.

The olympus 45mm 1.8 is a good portrait lens for the money, or the 2x crop means old/cheap/fast 50mm manual lenses make good portrait lenses on m43.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's worth noting that reviews of the 12-45 f4 seem to universally agree it's significantly smaller and lighter than the 12-40, with some I've read saying the balance on em1 bodies (and presumably thus also em5 bodies) is much more comfortable than the 12-40. Depends on how important size and weight is for you, of course. Losing a stop blows, but olympus IBIS is wizardry so i doubt the loss of light will be a huge factor tbh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The 12-40mm f/2.8 is a fabulous lens and can be found used everywhere these days. I've heard good things about the 12-45 f/4 as well and I believe that's weather sealed.

The 12mm f/2.0 can be found used very easily and is a great tiny prime.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If I'm gonna buy a 12-n its gonna be the 12-100 f4 but that boy is a bit of a chonker and isn't really solving the same problem as the 12-45

What I'd probably get buying from scratch (and with more of a budget than I have)
15mm 1.7
60mm 2.8 macro
12-100 f4
100-400 f4-6.3 (next on my list)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got the Panasonic S1. New, boxed. 1800€ total. What a brick! Feels like a real camera. Camera languages are English and China, paper manuals are too. The English manual is over 500 pages.

I do not have any lenses or adapters yet, but hopefully next week I can try how this actually works.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
If you don't mind using Panasonic lenses you can find a used Lumix 12-60mm for $200.
Else I'd go with the 12-45mm.

Theres also the manual Laowa 7.5 f2 if you want to get an ultra-wide, non-fisheye lens.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Has anyone here rented the Panasonic 10-25 f1.7? Its so tempting but I've not heard many firsthand experiences with it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Is the memorial day sale worth waiting for? Seems like the answer is "probably" ... unless maybe wait until the 4th of July?

Noticed some people are talking about the streaming capabilities of some cameras. Curious about this as well since so many of these models have such strong video capabilities.
Right now the Olympus and Fujifilm models are appealing to me more than the NIkon and Canon offerigs mostly because of the video and weatherproofing capabilities. The high res mode and image stabilization of the Olympus are really interesting, as are the fujifilm "film modes". Although there are a number of Canon or Nikon models which would definitely work just fine ... the more I read about the Olympus and Fujifilm cameras, the more I kinda like the idea over another Nikon or even a Canon. Despite my friend swearing up and down that his Canon 5D mk 3 is the best camera he has ever owned and... at this piont it is VERY reasonably priced and has a full frame sensor. He was trying his best to talk me out of mirrorless because of how much cheaper the older DSLR cameras have become and how much better the older viewfinders are by virture of looking directly at a mirror.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 20, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You shouldn't trust sale prices on camera gear, everything that isn't brand new goes on sale very frequently. Check used (sold if possible) prices for a better idea of actual value vs whatever list and sale price they have made up. Shops can even sell new for less than the advertised price.

If the money really matters buy used. Some things you won't know until you try and you won't lose a ton of you decide to move on or trade up.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

You shouldn't trust sale prices on camera gear, everything that isn't brand new goes on sale very frequently. Check used (sold if possible) prices for a better idea of actual value vs whatever list and sale price they have made up. Shops can even sell new for less than the advertised price.

If the money really matters buy used. Some things you won't know until you try and you won't lose a ton of you decide to move on or trade up.

This kind of contradicts advice earlier in the thread but point is, after buying a LOT of used computer equipment over the years, I would rather buy new whenever possible. B&H has a lot of great deals right now but my budget is still only around 1k. Still lots of options though. Does the Olympus IBIS work well for "high res" mode? Or is it pretty much tripod only thing?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think the newest high end models do hand held high res but not the em5ii or iii.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

sigma 6 posted:

This kind of contradicts advice earlier in the thread but point is, after buying a LOT of used computer equipment over the years, I would rather buy new whenever possible. B&H has a lot of great deals right now but my budget is still only around 1k. Still lots of options though. Does the Olympus IBIS work well for "high res" mode? Or is it pretty much tripod only thing?

Olympus ibis is wizardry, and depending on focal length and how steady your hands are, you can get handheld shots easily at as slow as 1/8 even to 1 second shutter speeds. I've even heard of people having success with 2 or 4 second exposures handheld. As for high res mode, you'll only be able to handhold that with the em1x or em1 iii, which are definitely out of your price range. It's still a rad mode to use when a tripod is available, though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Now I understand why the Panasonic S1 series cams eat so much battery. My S1 has a fan which is on even when idle (browsing the camera menus, not doing any shooting) and Ibis off.

At least I can't think of what other noise it could be. What else would cause a constant whirring noise inside a dslr?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think there’s a fan in the S1 unless you got an S1H by mistake. Maybe the IBIS?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I looked at the S1R teardown and it must be ibis then? So it makes a whirring noise all the time, even when ibis is turned off from settings.

When ibis is turned on from settings, the camera makes significantly more noise when I activate the ibis (half-press shutter button).

https://kolarivision.com/the-panasonic-s1r-disassembly-and-teardown/

I assumed that when ibis is off it is off, "parked", but seems it does not work like that in S1. Sony A7II did not make noises like this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's the Ibis. There's no fans in your camera.

On my Olympus the ibis only comes on at half shutter press. There's probably a setting for it in your camera.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Yeah it's the Ibis. There's no fans in your camera.

On my Olympus the ibis only comes on at half shutter press. There's probably a setting for it in your camera.

It makes a constant hum right after turning the camera ON. Only way to make it quiet is to turn the camera OFF.

The liveview is not stabilized at that point. When I half-press the shutter, the liveview stabilizes and the noise increases.

Turning ibis OFF from settings does not change the noise.

I did not realize the ibis system could be the source of the noise, even when it is turned "off" and not in use. I guess that explains why S series cameras absolutely destroy batteries - they keep the IBIS system on at all times.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh I didn't catch that from you earlier post, sorry. But that sounds annoying!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How loud is it? I don’t remember anything that unusual from when I rented one, but that was a while ago. Even the S1H, which does have a fan, didn’t seem all that noisy to me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It isn't that loud. Just something I'm not used to. Usually cameras make noises only when I press the shutter release.

I guess there is no way to lock the sensor in place, so they have to constantly keep it still with ibis.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, gotcha. I think the GRIII has the same thing as you can hear the sensor rattling around inside when it’s turned off (and also has terrible battery life.) My Nikon has some kind of lock that secures the sensor in place when IBIS is off. You can actually hear it clicking into place when you go in and out of image review mode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus is doing a big rear end outlet/refurb sale today

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Liquid cooling should be the next thing in MILC technology

Get you a sweet corsair setup.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks. This *might* have just sealed the deal on my decision. Except now I absolutely have to get a lens separately ....hmm.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

E-M10 Mark III bundle with a lens for $374.99 but E-M10 Mark III Black Body only is $449.99. Is that some kinda pricing mistake? I have the origina E-M10, maybe I should upgrade at that price. hah

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

E-M10 Mark III bundle with a lens for $374.99 but E-M10 Mark III Black Body only is $449.99. Is that some kinda pricing mistake? I have the origina E-M10, maybe I should upgrade at that price. hah

I saw that too. Weird.

This is a funny DIY thing.

Not very practical but funny nonetheless.

EDIT: My brother talked me out of the reconditioned OM-D E-M5 MARK III. We have both had too much bad luck with used computer or electircal equipment over the years. I know I sound like a broken record but other than weather sealing, why would the OM-D E-M5 MARK III be any better than the Fujifilm TX30? DPreview has the TX30 barely edging it out. They both look like great cameras but the TX30 is technically a higher megapixel camera and arguably has better video features. The high res mode on the OM-D E-M5 MARK III might have been what cinched it but I almost never use a tripod. Most of what I shoot is either casual street photography or photogrammetry. The video stuff is something I have been doing more of because of some cymatics experiments and of course now streaming stuff. Anyone strongly prefer the Olympus over the Fujifilm, or vice versa? My brother doesn't llike Olympus overall and my fashion photographer friend swears by his Fujifilm. Looks like the Fuji has better low light capability (?) but the Olympus can almost shoot underwater (?!?)

EDIT 2: Sale seems to be still going on (?)
Read back up and realized it was the XT3 vs. OM-D E M5 that I was thinking of. They both seem to have a lot in common but the XT3 wins in most areas. I really like the IBIS in the Olympus and the high frame rate stuff. Perfect for cymatics. This guy uses a high frame rate camera but I don't know which one. Of course I want video at that frame rate not just a still. Also - two different photographer friends of mine both said hands down go Canon and specifically the Canon 6D II for my price range. The ergonomics and full sensor are tempting but the video doesn't compare to the Fujifilm XT3 or Olympus OM-D E M5. The brand loyalty is kind of interesting and people on this thread have mentioned how good the Canon lenses are. Sorry for the rambling comparisons. Here is one thing I will be using it for. (Please mute the sound) So low light and ruggedness are an issue in a club. The motion blur in the cymatics is what I am trying to get rid of.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 23, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Sony released an rx100 variant for vlogging, and I really like a fully articulating screen, but it would have been awesome if they had put a wide angle zoom on it instead. I guess they didn't want to develop a new lens?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My panasonic s1 has been sitting for a week. Can't mount any lenses to it. The 15€ chinese adapters are not coming anytime soon apparently. One shop in Germany sells adapters for 50€ and promises 3-7 day express delivery.

I could save 35€ and keep on waiting, or increase the chances I get to actually use my new camera this summer. Hard choices...

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There is always free lensing.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

edit: ...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Fools Infinite posted:

Sony released an rx100 variant for vlogging, and I really like a fully articulating screen, but it would have been awesome if they had put a wide angle zoom on it instead. I guess they didn't want to develop a new lens?

ZV1? Man the walking stabilization is horrible.

I have been researching light weight vlogging package I can bring to a day hike for the last few weeks. I can always bring my Fuji XE2s and the 14/2.8 lens, I should be able to carry it with a small gimbal with no problem. But I don't have confidence in the video performance of Fuji low end bodies.

So I looked through the Panasonic 85 bodies, to 1" XR100 variants, to Canon G7X III, and then to the Insta360 1-inch module. I really like the ambition of the Insta360 designer, but I think the video performance is lower than the other 1" Point-and-shoots. Eventually I start looking at flagship phones. Phones like P40 Pro and S20 Ultra, nowadays they have main sensors that are basically one inch, and you get good stalization and editing kit too. If I only want a good main sensor and don't care about the wide angle, selfie lens and waterproofing, I can even get the 1/1.28" sensor on the Huawei P40, for less than $700 bux.

I am going sit on this idea for a couple weeks before I spend my corona check on it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

I saw that too. Weird.

This is a funny DIY thing.

Not very practical but funny nonetheless.

EDIT: My brother talked me out of the reconditioned OM-D E-M5 MARK III. We have both had too much bad luck with used computer or electircal equipment over the years. I know I sound like a broken record but other than weather sealing, why would the OM-D E-M5 MARK III be any better than the Fujifilm TX30? DPreview has the TX30 barely edging it out. They both look like great cameras but the TX30 is technically a higher megapixel camera and arguably has better video features. The high res mode on the OM-D E-M5 MARK III might have been what cinched it but I almost never use a tripod. Most of what I shoot is either casual street photography or photogrammetry. The video stuff is something I have been doing more of because of some cymatics experiments and of course now streaming stuff. Anyone strongly prefer the Olympus over the Fujifilm, or vice versa? My brother doesn't llike Olympus overall and my fashion photographer friend swears by his Fujifilm. Looks like the Fuji has better low light capability (?) but the Olympus can almost shoot underwater (?!?)

EDIT 2: Sale seems to be still going on (?)
Read back up and realized it was the XT3 vs. OM-D E M5 that I was thinking of. They both seem to have a lot in common but the XT3 wins in most areas. I really like the IBIS in the Olympus and the high frame rate stuff. Perfect for cymatics. This guy uses a high frame rate camera but I don't know which one. Of course I want video at that frame rate not just a still. Also - two different photographer friends of mine both said hands down go Canon and specifically the Canon 6D II for my price range. The ergonomics and full sensor are tempting but the video doesn't compare to the Fujifilm XT3 or Olympus OM-D E M5. The brand loyalty is kind of interesting and people on this thread have mentioned how good the Canon lenses are. Sorry for the rambling comparisons. Here is one thing I will be using it for. (Please mute the sound) So low light and ruggedness are an issue in a club. The motion blur in the cymatics is what I am trying to get rid of.

Oh boy.

--When it comes to camera stuff, people generally suggest to buy gear used for fairly valid reasons. For camera bodies, they're the part of the equation that is changed and updated most regularly, so they are the component that is most susceptible to being upgraded regularly and having their value fall off a cliff every 2-3 years. By comparison, lenses are sold for much longer periods of time -- Canon only recently replaced lens designs which were 25+ years old and still used by pros.

--The link was to refurb/new sale direct from the manufacturer, so that seems like as safe as can be for purchasing used/refurb. but hey, it's your money.

--The Canon 6D series are DSLRs, not part of Canon's mirrorless line(s). So they'll be much bigger and have certain drawbacks to shooting. Brand loyalty isn't "interesting," but it can be valid depending on your situation.

--Usually the topic of "ruggedness" refers to being outdoors or subject to the elements, not so much an indoor club :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fractions of a decimal-inch has got to be the stupidest "purely to confuse the issue for marketing purposes" unit of measurement ever devised. Full frame is 35mm. What the gently caress is 1/1.33"?? It ain't an inch, that's for sure. I don't know what the gently caress it is. 0.75"? I mean that's something at least. Just call it loving 19mm, or give it a ratio or something.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 27, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

stephenthinkpad posted:

ZV1? Man the walking stabilization is horrible.

Yeah, the footage looks bad, especially with the extra crop. From outdoor walk and talk samples I saw the mic quality wasn't on the level of other dedicated solutions either.

I just want an rx100 with a fully articulating screen and a hot shoe, and don't really care about the viewfinder.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fools Infinite posted:

don't really care about the viewfinder.

What a hosed up thing to say.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

President Beep posted:

What a hosed up thing to say.

Very. I bought a new camera just because it had the best electronic viewfinder available. I hate buying new cameras, they are always gigantic wastes of money. I am content with the level of image quality a 5D provides, so I hope this S1 viewfinder is finally good enough to use a same cameea for a decade or two.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Fools Infinite posted:

Yeah, the footage looks bad, especially with the extra crop. From outdoor walk and talk samples I saw the mic quality wasn't on the level of other dedicated solutions either.

I just want an rx100 with a fully articulating screen and a hot shoe, and don't really care about the viewfinder.

Sony need to make a 1 inch camera in the Dji Osmo Pocket form factor, not another undercooked idea in the traditional camera shape.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Fuji just released webcam tethering software (windows only) for X and GFX(!) bodies.