Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Inacio posted:

the reason nothing has been getting done is because they were actually working on this, to get some more money in.
We know for a fact that the citcon demos eat weeks and weeks of resources to produce fake trailers, I assume this does as well

Between that, ToW and whatever SQ42 does + the DNF style "throw it away and redo it" mentality it's actually not that surprising nothing ever gets done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

:toot: Star Citizen is good again, because CIG is releasing a re-skinned version of the Cutlass. It’s supposed to be for Bounty Hunting? Anyway, I’m sure it will launch with all of its promised gameplay. Hope you have your credit cards ready! :toot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gmtg4w/cutlass_blue_flight_ready_with_391/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

:homebrew: I think they should have a drake triple threat pack with the black, red and blue in it. I’d buy that up real quick.

:homebrew:Oooo, I very much want to test fly this. Was contemplating ccu to it from my Black, as I want to go a bit more bounty hunter, and I like the cutlass'. but then..... that's only if I want to take them in alive...... sometimes dead is better.

:homebrew: First suprise of Fleet Week! May there be many more!

:homebrew: Pleasantly surprised to see it coming out before where it's shown on the Roadmap. I know it was originally meant to be an earlier patch but still, this is a nice surprise.

:smug:Too bad in a few months everyone is gonna forget about this and go back to dissing CIG and saying they never do anything right :/

This is absolutely hilarious. "I want go a bit more bounty hunter", are you kidding me? Just because the 'theme' of a ship is 'bounty hunter' doesn't mean that any bounty hunting becomes possible just because the ship exists.
I don't even know how to describe this.

Star Citizer: Construct your own potemkin village

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
I should have sold my account years ago... Luckily I haven't spent anything since...

*Checks account history*

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

:toot: Star Citizen is good again, because CIG is releasing a re-skinned version of the Cutlass. It’s supposed to be for Bounty Hunting? Anyway, I’m sure it will launch with all of its promised gameplay. Hope you have your credit cards ready! :toot:

you know what's even more absurd? the gameplay systems for this one are largely in place. but they won't be integrated, obviously.

- the hunter gets a mission for a player with crime level (in)
- hunter pew pew shoots the criminal (in)
- hunter DISABLED criminal ship, captures the live criminal (not in)
- hunter drags criminal into a pod (not in)
- criminal instantly spawns in the prison (in? -ish? minor change anyway)
- hunter has to deliver the now-fake-npc-criminal in order to get a bounty (not in)

so what does cig need to do to make this complete?

- let people disable ships instead of just destroying them like an 80s game
- let people capture criminals from their disabled ships
- make criminals in pods just get TPed to prison
- add a new "land at place, remove npc criminal" mission

that's literally it.
probably two loving weeks of work.
won't be out til 2053.
buy a cutlass blue.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, and wasn't that hosed up somehow?

Idk it was a simpler time when we were more concerned with griefing citizens in game, than loling at the game never coming out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fleet Week appears to be BIG NEWS (TM). The expectations are that not only is the Idris finally going to make its debut (following the time it flew over Port Olisar in a cinematic some... four? years ago) in the PU, but the Javelin - an even bigger megaship - will as well:

It seems like these are going to be part of some mission (see PTU references to finding the "fleet mission") in the way that the FPS shootout aboard the 890J is a spawned event. I vaguely recall something about CIG talking about a mission that the whole server would have to work together to complete a while ago, and how it could only be spawned once by each individual player, but I can't remember if that was supposed to be this or something else. Either way, it seems like there might be a few issues with the fancy new capital ships:

:reddit: posted:

This is just an empty shell of the ship. The single pilot can even be killed in an empty voided space inside the ship (which means yes, you can fly the Javelin, just with no fleshed out interior to speak of)

In the 'Guns of the UEE' vid over a couple years back, that version had plenty of interior as well. I'm guessing the servers currently can't handle it, and I'm sure it's gone through several iterations since.

Which means that people who own these ships probably won't be able to spawn and use them lmao.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Lol remember when they sold fish for the fishtank

Wait, what? Is this serious? There is so much poo poo it's hard to differentiate between what's real and what is a joke, but somehow this feels like CIG could do that

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beet Wagon posted:

I vaguely recall something about CIG talking about a mission that the whole server would have to work together to complete a while ago, and how it could only be spawned once by each individual player, but I can't remember if that was supposed to be this or something else.

That was the Idris mission that was supposed to be in 3.9. It never made it past evocati because it was impossible, unfun, and deeply unstable.

Adding a Javelin shell will probably fix this

e:

quote:

Arlington Idris bounty also removed....

quote:

Yeah, it crashed pretty loving hard in testing. Server just couldn't take players, their ships and an ai crewed idris in the same place.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 20, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

Wait, what? Is this serious? There is so much poo poo it's hard to differentiate between what's real and what is a joke, but somehow this feels like CIG could do that

Yes, but unfortunately the fish would keep eating each other off-screen until there was but one left and there was no way to get them back.

quote:

Yes, this is the most likely case, you(OP) bought the one fish that eats(hides) the others. They're working on fixing the bug.

quote:

Fishtank Mark I

e: The guilty party:

Or maybe I'm making all this stuff up!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 20, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yep, still got one in my buyback lmao

When they launched the online item shop (I think it was called like Electronic Access or something) that used their weird AUEC currency, they also launched a bunch of hangar flair. You were supposed to eventually be able to invite your friends to come hang out in your hangar and make it kind of a home base or whatever, but that never materialized. Anyway, the shop sold weapons and components and a bunch of the little flair items, and they gave everybody a handful of AUEC to get people to buy poo poo. I got... a crab thing? And one of the rovers that you used to be able to spawn in the old Social Module and drive around that would explode instantly on the slightest impact, killing everyone around you.

Pixelate posted:

That was the Idris mission that was supposed to be in 3.9. It never made it past evocati because it was impossible, unfun, and deeply unstable.

Adding a Javelin shell will probably fix this

Oh right, I remember that now. I'm sure this is all gonna work out.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Is that what this towel is for?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Idk it was a simpler time when we were more concerned with griefing citizens in game, than loling at the game never coming out.

Sounds like the beginnings of a Dickens novel.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

akkristor posted:

Cleaning up the inevitable consequences of piracy.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
More guides are appearing :allears:

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048403193-Now-Leaving-New-Babbage
https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025028633-Getting-Started-in-the-Verse

:gary:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

colonelwest posted:

They could just put a city map into the game, but that probably requires 4 years of dev time and some amazing new god tech called “Quantum Cartography” or some poo poo.

Can't believe I forgot about MegaMap.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

akkristor posted:

It was the 42 million dollars raised reward joke. It only exists as a joke, and it's only purpose is to remind you that at one point the project had a sixth of the funding it has now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I vaguely recall something about CIG talking about a mission that the whole server would have to work together to complete a while ago, and how it could only be spawned once by each individual player, but I can't remember if that was supposed to be this or something else.

That was the "Fight the Idris" mission, and they decided not to do it because the entire server working together could not dent the shields on the thing, and everyone fighting in one location caused the servers to desync.

Hence why the new mission is just "Look at the Idris."

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

That was the "Fight the Idris" mission, and they decided not to do it because the entire server working together could not dent the shields on the thing, and everyone fighting in one location caused the servers to desync.

Hence why the new mission is just "Look at the Idris."

LOL Truly the world’s first AAAA game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yes it was for sale in the "Voyager Direct" store for a while

Fish Tank (gold)

Midas Fish

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can't really blame Amazon. No one is really using Lumberyard to develop games yet and the last thing you wanna do is attach your unproven game engine to the poo poo heap that is Star Citizen.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
don't worry guys, Amazon is ready to swoop in and buy all the amazing tech Cloud Imperium Games is developing

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

We know for a fact that the citcon demos eat weeks and weeks of resources to produce fake trailers, I assume this does as well

Between that, ToW and whatever SQ42 does + the DNF style "throw it away and redo it" mentality it's actually not that surprising nothing ever gets done

I've always assumed that the main driver for Star Citizen progress is making the Citcon demo. CIG makes the changes/features/bug fixes necessary to make that years Citcon demo run in their Frankenengine, then they half halfheartedly patch them into the PU.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Obsidian Ant "Star Citizen - Theaters of War - Leaks, Bugs And Broken"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzmMOQaAsc

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::

What isn't really considered in this discussion, but is without argument the key factor, is how the scope of Star Citizen should reasonably impact the development timeline.

Here are a few facts:

1. Star Citizen is the most complex video game ever conceived. Nothing comes remotely close.
2. Unlike all the other games you mentioned, which were undoubtedly forced to be released before the devs would have liked for that almighty return on investment, Star Citizen is the first large-scale game to be unfettered from condensing, truncating and otherwise shirking features. The customers have spoken, and the resounding message is: make the game you have in your vision, take what time it takes.
3. Much in the same way Star Citizen has demolished every other game crowd sourcing (actually, every other crowd sourcing of ANY kind), it stands to reason that Star Citizen MUST also eclipse the development cycles of other titles. There really is no fair comparison. Yet, nay sayers will try to compare it. It's a skewed, apples v. oranges comparison.
4. For example, let's take a look at TF2. It took 9 years. Considering how ridiculously simplistic it is at its core, considering the limited art assets, etc., you would need to at least quadruple it, for a same-to-same comparison, for Star Citizen. So, 36 years? Just to be a fair comparison.

Yeah, what isn't being acknowledged is the actual break-neck speed of progress that we are seeing from the CIG development team. Not only are they doing the most ridiculously complex things ever done in a PC game and stitching it all together seamlessly, they happen to be doing it in a way that every other game developer should sit up and take notice of. It's this rapid pace of progress that makes them more akin to NASA getting us to the moon than Blizzard getting D4 out the door.

But confirmation bias is strong in the naysayer community, and they will disregard these facts, clear as crystal, because it challenges their belief that somehow, CIG is taking longer than they should. Interestingly, the first complaints that the game was taking too long came in 2012. They ring just as hollow today as they did back then.

Supplemental:

Yeah I think it is a classical example of what's going on with these FUDsters and the faulty opinions, outright lies and dishonesty they regurgitate in this video to keep their echo chamber going are happening constantly where these people congregate.

The echo chambering is an exact parallel to flat earthers, anti vaxxers and other conspiracy theorists, something that can't be said for the backers, because, you know, they're in the persistent universe every day and they're seeing the features in the game as they get published.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Curios to see if their digital CitCon they go back to the well and show off the new Pyro system once again (lol at that demo last year where it was implied Pyro was just around the corner). Or do they forget that Pyro is a thing and come up with a new demo for some new grand feature that will never see the light of day?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Quavers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 20, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bbchops posted:

Can't believe I forgot about MegaMap.

That's a different tech. MegaMap is the one that lets you put maps inside maps. A ship is a map flying around another map (port Olisar) which is inside the main menu (which is also a Map).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

Curios to see if their digital CitCon they go back to the well and show off the new Pyro system once again (lol at that demo last year where it was implied Pyro was just around the corner). Or do they forget that Pyro is a thing and come up with a new demo for some new grand feature that will never see the light of day?

my understanding is that they wont have any reveals at all this year (b-because of corona okay!!!!), it's just the ingame event.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

Obsidian Ant "Star Citizen - Theaters of War - Leaks, Bugs And Broken"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzmMOQaAsc

Obsidiant Ant and his milquetoast videos make him one of the most effective shills (even if that's not his goal).

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

What isn't really considered in this discussion, but is without argument the key factor, is how the scope of Star Citizen should reasonably impact the development timeline.

Here are a few facts:

1. Star Citizen is the most complex video game ever conceived. Nothing comes remotely close.
2. Unlike all the other games you mentioned, which were undoubtedly forced to be released before the devs would have liked for that almighty return on investment, Star Citizen is the first large-scale game to be unfettered from condensing, truncating and otherwise shirking features. The customers have spoken, and the resounding message is: make the game you have in your vision, take what time it takes.
3. Much in the same way Star Citizen has demolished every other game crowd sourcing (actually, every other crowd sourcing of ANY kind), it stands to reason that Star Citizen MUST also eclipse the development cycles of other titles. There really is no fair comparison. Yet, nay sayers will try to compare it. It's a skewed, apples v. oranges comparison.
4. For example, let's take a look at TF2. It took 9 years. Considering how ridiculously simplistic it is at its core, considering the limited art assets, etc., you would need to at least quadruple it, for a same-to-same comparison, for Star Citizen. So, 36 years? Just to be a fair comparison.

Yeah, what isn't being acknowledged is the actual break-neck speed of progress that we are seeing from the CIG development team. Not only are they doing the most ridiculously complex things ever done in a PC game and stitching it all together seamlessly, they happen to be doing it in a way that every other game developer should sit up and take notice of. It's this rapid pace of progress that makes them more akin to NASA getting us to the moon than Blizzard getting D4 out the door.

But confirmation bias is strong in the naysayer community, and they will disregard these facts, clear as crystal, because it challenges their belief that somehow, CIG is taking longer than they should. Interestingly, the first complaints that the game was taking too long came in 2012. They ring just as hollow today as they did back then.

Supplemental:

Yeah I think it is a classical example of what's going on with these FUDsters and the faulty opinions, outright lies and dishonesty they regurgitate in this video to keep their echo chamber going are happening constantly where these people congregate.

The echo chambering is an exact parallel to flat earthers, anti vaxxers and other conspiracy theorists, something that can't be said for the backers, because, you know, they're in the persistent universe every day and they're seeing the features in the game as they get published.

Yeah, that's why the feature creep isn't a warning sign to them.

Feature creep is the selling point to them.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Inacio posted:

you know what's even more absurd? the gameplay systems for this one are largely in place. but they won't be integrated, obviously.

- the hunter gets a mission for a player with crime level (in)
- hunter pew pew shoots the criminal (in)
- hunter DISABLED criminal ship, captures the live criminal (not in)
- hunter drags criminal into a pod (not in)
- criminal instantly spawns in the prison (in? -ish? minor change anyway)
- hunter has to deliver the now-fake-npc-criminal in order to get a bounty (not in)

so what does cig need to do to make this complete?

- let people disable ships instead of just destroying them like an 80s game
- let people capture criminals from their disabled ships
- make criminals in pods just get TPed to prison
- add a new "land at place, remove npc criminal" mission

that's literally it.
probably two loving weeks of work.
won't be out til 2053.
buy a cutlass blue.

Even easier: just turn all the criminals into boxes.

Of course, then they'll have to fix their tier-zero box-carrying and vending machine systems. Hm. Y'know, I'm starting to suspect that maybe they just can't make this game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

Here are a few facts:

Supplemental:

:lol:

It’s amazing that there are still people out there this hopelessly defending this mess. 30 years from now there will probably still be people mailing checks directly to Chris’ retirement home.

Dev time really isn’t the issue in and of itself, and stretching the facts to say that GTA 5 took 20 years and a billion dollars to make doesn’t change anything. The issue is that 8 years and 300 million dollars have been spent on exactly what is in the game now, which is about 1% of the content Chris has cumulatively promised, and even that is horribly broken.

There is no conceivable path forward from here in which they can ever finish the game. Hell they haven’t even designed the game yet, they’re literally just shoving whatever they can into it to give the illusion of progress while the technical core of it rots. That fact was obvious even years ago, but now you have to be completely deluded to think otherwise, especially after the Calder investment revealed just how close to the edge of insolvency they are.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
When I was a kid I naively bought a copy of Battlecruiser 3000AD, not having heard in advance that it just didn't work at all. I never once got it to run, but it almost didn't matter because it came with this telephone directory sized manual full of in-universe style descriptions of the world and technology and ships and so on. I got far more joy out of my imagination + that book than I suspect I could have ever got out of that jank rear end game, just imagining myself as a swashbuckling spaceship captain exploring the galaxy and sending out boarding parties and becoming the hero of great space battles.

That was fine I guess because I was a lonely 14 year old or whatever, and the game cost £5 out of the second-hand bin at Electronic Boutique. Nowadays Star Citizens are doing the same thing but they're all 45 and they cashed in their 401K and their kids' college funds to get the same experience lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

I just realized that my obsession with following Star Citizen has made me subconsciously read Peter Gabriel as "Pgabz," regardless of context.

This is right and proper, imo.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000161747-Troubleshoot-the-RSI-Launcher

:trustme: Currently, the RSI Launcher does not verify the amount of available and required harddrive space against the drive you select.

:trustme: 3. Delete the USER folder.
4. Fully shutdown your computer. This fully clears any remaining Windows memory cache with incorrect or corrupt information.

:trustme: It's possible you may have multiple Launchers open. By default, the RSI RSI Launcher only minimizes to the system tray when you click X to close. You may want to check and close any additional Launchers.

:trustme: Ensure our files are whitelisted in your firewall and anti-virus software: RSI Launcher.exe and StarCitizen.exe. Some players have had to change their anti-virus software. We've seen issues with Avast, Panda, and a few others.

:iiasb:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we are 8+ years into development of this "game" and the launcher doesnt even check your hdd space when it wants to update. that is absolutely incredible

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

communism bitch posted:

When I was a kid I naively bought a copy of Battlecruiser 3000AD, not having heard in advance that it just didn't work at all. I never once got it to run, but it almost didn't matter because it came with this telephone directory sized manual full of in-universe style descriptions of the world and technology and ships and so on. I got far more joy out of my imagination + that book than I suspect I could have ever got out of that jank rear end game, just imagining myself as a swashbuckling spaceship captain exploring the galaxy and sending out boarding parties and becoming the hero of great space battles.

That was fine I guess because I was a lonely 14 year old or whatever, and the game cost £5 out of the second-hand bin at Electronic Boutique. Nowadays Star Citizens are doing the same thing but they're all 45 and they cashed in their 401K and their kids' college funds to get the same experience lol

Derek has a Youtube video somewhere where he plays the more or less fixed version of the game for a few hours. I would call it "technically interesting." I only remember one part, where some subsystem on a ship was malfunctioning and he went through like dozens of menus to find out if the right person was repairing it or something, and finally deep down the rabbit hole it turned out that one of the subsystem components needed a raw material that he didn't have at the time because of 16 other reasons, so he flitted through the menus reassigning raw material delivery to get the thing to the thing near the thing so the subsystem came back up.

It worked but JFC I can't imagine anyone but the person who built it figuring any of it out. It's amazing that SC has captured the audience that probably would have eaten that poo poo up had it been made by literally any other developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

Here are a few facts:

Supplemental:

Please prove to me it is the most complex game ever conceived or built? Right now I see an incomplete single solar system, barebones game loops, horrible AI, poo poo tier Net Code.