Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

malkav11 posted:

I'm not sure those rules are being enforced to any substantial degree just in general. At least, I've seen lots of violations thereof.

Definitely this, but also Onyx Path has a sterling record with tons of completed delivered kickstarters so they wouldn't be hassled anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think a single person launching and running multiple ongoing campaigns is what they frown on.

The GoodGamesGroup running a KS for Chess3.0 while also having launched ART WARS 2000 reprint, not so much.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Imagine what would happen to CMON if they suddenly started enforcing that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You know, every year when I have to take my corporate Conflict of Interest training I always think, "this is such basic common sense poo poo, why do we have to do this every year?" but thanks to this thread, now I know why.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

I'm not sure those rules are being enforced to any substantial degree just in general. At least, I've seen lots of violations thereof.

Yeah, Kickstarter obviously doesn't give a poo poo about this rule and should probably get rid of it. It doesn't really make sense for what kickstarter has turned into, anyway.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think Petersen Games has what, five or six campaigns outstanding at the moment? Hyperspace, the Gods War reprint/expansion, the latest April Fools campaign, Eternal Adversary, 8-Bit Attack and maybe still a Cthulhu Wars or one of their 5E books or something? (I only backed the first three I listed.).

So, yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If Kickstarter actually enforced that rule, they'd lose out on the sweet 10% cut they take.

If they were upfront about that fact, I wouldn't have an issue. I can, as a backer, make my own decisions about supporting a company or person with multiple projects outstanding. But the fact that companies can just ignore that rule with no consequence, not even an official-but-meaningless slap on the wrist, is irksome

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

jivjov posted:

“don't run a new campaign before you fulfill the old one"

This is a kickstarter rule? That would be mind boggling because it gets broken so often.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

At this point it almost definitely exists as a rule they can point to when they boot someone off the platform for a different reason. Start 30 different kickstarters for Trump themed Cards Against Humanity clones? Oh what do you know we forgot this rule was on the books.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

A War of Whispers: Dark Alliance went up recently.

There's a collectors edition with a bunch of cool poo poo. I've played it a few times on TTS, and it's very fun.

This needs more detail on how the 2nd edition sorts out the graphic design issues on the board

I'm tempted though

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

theironjef posted:

Well first of all, you realize this isn't about Luke Crane, right? It's about Kickstarter employees with potential positions of power and influence in their own company serving as quiet partners in campaigns. Luke Crane is just an example. This also isn't about the quality of his previous work, because again, it's not about him or his output. Could just as easily be someone in the non-gaming sections of KS playing favorites with his buddy the tactical flashlight with a knife in it guy.

With that in mind, why would you be against disclosing? Against, for example, changing "Risks and Challenges" to "Risks, Challenges, and Disclosures" and including "A contributor to this product is also a Kickstarter employee?" What would the reasoning not to do that be?

Subjunctive posted:

It might look like an endorsement, or signal of quality?

Yeah, this basically. If they marked it, you'd have people claiming that by saying certain kickstarters were run by employees of the company, it was undue influence to their success that is unfair to smaller/less connected games and companies.

It just seems like a pointless thing to do in this case. I'm not dead set against it, but I do think that everyone yelling about how this is an obvious cover up and that Luke not being listed by name (only his many other games that he's involved in) is some intentional gotcha, are blowing it out of proportion.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
they call him the masked refunder

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm interested in that bullet game from level 99. What's their track record with other Kickstarters?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm interested in that bullet game from level 99. What's their track record with other Kickstarters?

Occasionally late but not to a notable degree, but really good communications and service. The games are also generally really fun too, even if they have a tendency to add in almost too many modes and whatnot.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
level99 has a maximalist aesthetic in their games. They're unwieldy but interesting and a little bit on the gimmicky side, like eating at a fusion restaurant with large portions. Some of their stuff has been slipping a little more than usual recently - their big box definitive edition of their used-to-be-flagship fighting game BattleCON is on track to be at least a year late as of now, and likely longer. Their customer service is good and they'll keep you informed through the whole process.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

And most importantly, is Kickstarter’s community manager or something for TTRPGs while also KSing his own TTRPGs, which means he can get away with whatever bullshit he wants while doing that.

No one corrected this from a few pages back so it's worth pointing out that Crane isn't a community manager. He's "Head of Games, Design & Technology." He's responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars of Kickstarter projects. This is not "random guy who's a low-level Kickstarter employee runs a project on the platform."

Impermanent posted:

level99 has a maximalist aesthetic in their games. They're unwieldy but interesting and a little bit on the gimmicky side, like eating at a fusion restaurant with large portions. Some of their stuff has been slipping a little more than usual recently - their big box definitive edition of their used-to-be-flagship fighting game BattleCON is on track to be at least a year late as of now, and likely longer. Their customer service is good and they'll keep you informed through the whole process.

This is because the scope of the project changed from "it's a storage box" to "it's a storage box and also we're doing a complete rebalance of every character in the game and changing the card layout, which requires us to balance and playtest 100 characters instead of 40, and means the storage box will essentially contain a new printing of every character ever made for the game."

It's a rebalance that the game really needed, so it's a way better deal for whoever's receiving the final product than if it hadn't been delayed.

Bullet is small and self-contained and has no stretch goals, so the chances of it missing its planned delivery date are nil.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

This is a kickstarter rule? That would be mind boggling because it gets broken so often.

Yep, it's a listed rule

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is because the scope of the project changed from "it's a storage box" to "it's a storage box and also we're doing a complete rebalance of every character in the game and changing the card layout, which requires us to balance and playtest 100 characters instead of 40, and means the storage box will essentially contain a new printing of every character ever made for the game."

hey im not complaining. im just saying they do sometimes have fairly large delays. Scope creep, while in this case being a very good and welcome cause, is still a cause for delay. I agree though that this particular kickstarter does not seem as vulnerable. But you should always mentally add at least a few months do any kickstarter delivery date.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Always delivered, sometimes late. Amazing production values, for me a 100% hit rate and I've played darn near every game they've made, and generally just a very good company with very good people. I sometimes back their stuff just because it's L99, and I don't think there's any other games company I could say that for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of queen games, just got a notification that they launched Escape Roll & Write...without fulfilling shogun. Reported them again, let's see if Kickstarter pretends that rule doesn't exist again

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

jivjov posted:

Yep, it's a listed rule

:lol: Off the top of my head, I'm a backer on campaigns from several companies that are doing this right now. I get enforcing it for Vidmaster's 6 lovely RPGs that I launch simultaneously without knowing poo poo about running a kickstarter, but it's definitely a double standard that CMON, Awaken Realms, Petersen Games, etc. can just use it as a board game preorder store with impunity.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Bullet might be the first game that I think looks interesting mechanically but the theme draped over it has made me immediately check out. Maybe Tragedy Looper too, but that at least has a more generic/less anime version in the wild somewhere or other.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lol Queen Games his behind "well everyone else is doing it" and cancelled my pledge when I pushed them on it. So now I don't even get the game I wanted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait they got to see your "Report this project?"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jivjov posted:

Speaking of queen games, just got a notification that they launched Escape Roll & Write...without fulfilling shogun. Reported them again, let's see if Kickstarter pretends that rule doesn't exist again

They will. Why is this a sticking point for you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

Wait they got to see your "Report this project?"

I commented so that other backers would be aware of QG's decision to keep breaking the rules. Messaged privately to ask why they felt they were exempt from KS's rules. Got told "you pledge is cancelled, you are not welcome to back out projects"

Queen Games is staffed by as big of pissbabies as Luke Crane is.

The Moon Monster posted:

They will. Why is this a sticking point for you?

I keep hoping I'll get someone different in the support department that's actually read the rules and takes it seriously

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, Level 99 also has the Millennium Blades expansion Kickstarter still pending. I think they're getting ready to ship, at least.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, L99 does the same thing...but they're a LOT better at communication than Queen Games and they're not literally running campaigns back to back to back to back like Queen does. QG fires up a new campaign like a week after their prior one ends, and they have multiples profiles on Kickstarter to obfuscate their activity level.

E: it's that last part that particularly sticks in my craw. If it's so aboveboard, why hide it in a bunch of different accounts?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 21, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Echophonic posted:

Hell, Level 99 also has the Millennium Blades expansion Kickstarter still pending. I think they're getting ready to ship, at least.

L99 in fact has two Kickstarters pending, one for MB and one for BC. I am not worried about their eventual delivery though, of course.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jivjov posted:

I keep hoping I'll get someone different in the support department that's actually read the rules and takes it seriously

Kickstarter customer support: I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I commented so that other backers would be aware of QG's decision to keep breaking the rules. Messaged privately to ask why they felt they were exempt from KS's rules. Got told "you pledge is cancelled, you are not welcome to back out projects"

Queen Games is staffed by as big of pissbabies as Luke Crane is.

It sounds like you're better off just not backing their games then, Kickstarter obviously doesn't care about this issue and you're pretty much harassing them for a "shady business practice" that no one gives a gently caress about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chekans 3 16 posted:

It sounds like you're better off just not backing their games then, Kickstarter obviously doesn't care about this issue and you're pretty much harassing them for a "shady business practice" that no one gives a gently caress about.

I'm just pissed that so many games I'm interested in are published by Queen. I was really looking forward to finally having Shogun

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m not really sure what you expected to result from your actions here, especially going into the comments section to try and get people to not buy their stuff

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

I backed their Hellboy board game a few years ago. The miniatures are very nice, and when one of them turned up broken, they replaced it at their own cost with no questions asked.
Have you had a chance to play this one much? It’s sitting on my shelf because I’m a big fan of the IP, but haven’t got around to playing yet. The minis are nice and have already appeared in my Shadow of the Demon Lord campaign, though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm just pissed that so many games I'm interested in are published by Queen. I was really looking forward to finally having Shogun

And you figured "Hey getting them in trouble with Kickstarter and making a scene in their comments is the way to results!"? This is what a Karen would do if Kickstarter was a Target.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I got the Alhambra deluxe edition from queen games, only 9 months late and a month after they said they had shipped it. I'm not getting any of their stuff again, but I do love Alhambra.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

theironjef posted:

And you figured "Hey getting them in trouble with Kickstarter and making a scene in their comments is the way to results!"? This is what a Karen would do if Kickstarter was a Target.

Remember Space Goat Productions and Evil Dead 2/Terminator?

There is an entire group on FB full of Karens that would cirlejerk and hatepost about EVERY loving MINUTE detail that the owner possibly could have done.

When Evil Dead 2 was revived, it was met with much resistance because of how far these Karens had suffered with sunk cost fallacy, despite that the game would be sent to them, for free, barring minimal shipping.

Yet even as the game is shipping now, there are Karens whining that they have to pony up 12 dollars or whatever for shipping.

On the same vein, back when other companies made other products in similarly themed IP's, they would make a scene in the comments of Kickstarters, and drove those to the loving ground. Seriously, Karens are a loving plague.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

kinkouin posted:

Seriously, Karens are a loving plague.

quote:

@ IDW @ Pete

On one hand, we have more than a month silence.

On the other hand, the project may get (if I include the Late pledgers and the 1$

pledgers who pay their due) like 7.000 backers and 2.000.000$ !!

So I think now is he right time to ask for explanations and apologies.

As apologies, I propose this section to vote for an extra SG "apologies for IDW silence" as I am sure this project gets 2.000.000$ now.

Guys, it is time to ask for Creeper, Ubu, Kyodai, extra adventuers or tiles !

I vote for Kyodai adventures and volcano tiles.

So I backed the IDW Batman: TAS skirmish game, because it was a fuckload of models of my favorite Batman, and if the game was going to be any good, that's gravy. The project wound up just as COVID was coming online, and so they went into social distance work from home mode on design and testing. Not a lot of updates, but comments from the devs and their facebook is active. But the comments are all like this. "Oh, COVID got you guys busy? Well how about you owe us an apology in the form of a bunch of free poo poo?"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

theironjef posted:

just like someone using the words "conflict of interest" is not actually the same as gamergate, someone reporting kickstarters that break the kickstarter rules is not actually the same as someone calling the cops on people for barbecuing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

just like someone using the words "conflict of interest" is not actually the same as gamergate, someone reporting kickstarters that break the kickstarter rules is not actually the same as someone calling the cops on people for barbecuing

You're thinking of a Becky. Whole different genre.