Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

oh word? I thought we had too many hospital beds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the only real response to this virus in a country with no track and trace technology but immense food surplus is immediate lockdown of all nonessential stuff, then a month or so to safely wind down and lay up stuff you can't just flip the switch on and expect it to work again in months, then like a 16 week "lights out" lockdown where even a lot of what we consider "essential" is shutdown. Like shutting down everything but bare survival for like 3-4 months.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nature/status/1263110996631138306

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Burn Zone posted:

I bought around five pounds of ground beef on Saturday for $18.31.

This is the price today. I should have made the switch to beans when this thread prophesied it lmao

jesus that's just 80/20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

in movie theatres you shut the gently caress up.

man, when's the last time you were at a theater

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Just walked into my local Safeway (I need to get some produce) and man is it loving funny that the mainland is currently paying higher prices for freaking 80/20 ground beef right now.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Burn Zone posted:

I bought around five pounds of ground beef on Saturday for $18.31.

This is the price today. I should have made the switch to beans when this thread prophesied it lmao

glad I bought 3 lbs of ground beef two weeks ago back when I was doing my grocery shopping for the next month or two

I'm going to spread it out and have it as taco meat with tortilla chips

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just eat poultry instead of red meat. it's a lot better for you any way

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the ideology of individual responsibility has worked extremely well to address environmental problems, surely it will work great to stop a pandemic

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Or just skip meat for now, especially when the USDA thinks poop and brain matter is good filler material.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

triple sulk posted:

By me, whole chickens have gone from $0.99 a pound to like $3.00 a pound, and that's if all poultry hasn't sold out, which is the more likely outcome.

Chicken breast might as well be unobtainium around here.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I already have a pretty low meat diet but lol we were gonna make spaghetti with meatballs per child request and that has changed to spaghetti with mushroom based "meatballs"

Since I assume I'm not the only one who is gonna pass on buying meat if it's so expensive, that will further gently caress up meat prices as consumers continue to side with the HOLY BEAN

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
if u want meat-product the beyond burger stuff is still the same price as before

Apr 7, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

if u want meat-product the beyond burger stuff is still the same price as before

I've had more success with not trying to actively find substitutes to fill my meat hole and instead finding veggies I like on their own merit.

Big on beans and greens right now.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/greens-and-beans-recipe-1940026

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

power word- Jeb! posted:

the ideology of individual responsibility has worked extremely well to address environmental problems, surely it will work great to stop a pandemic

A lot more people will do something when they know that other people are also being required to do it, so they aren't losing out relative to other people over it. This all in the context of the competition of consumerism and keeping up with the Joneses that is encouraged every time an advertisement uses the bandwagon effect as an advertising technique, and all that marketing is boring down in the opposite direction on that weak "individual responsibility" PR.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we switched our egg supply to just people we know in town with chickens. I wonder if people think opening er up will bring back meat?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've had more success with not trying to actively find substitutes to fill my meat hole and instead finding veggies I like on their own merit.

Big on beans and greens right now.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/greens-and-beans-recipe-1940026

I've been making lots of various variants of these:

http://forbiddenriceblog.com/2015/10/06/homemade-yumm-bowls/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fosborb posted:

from TransUnion today:

everything is going to meltdown at the same time lol

*squints for some time*

:staredog:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Iron Crowned posted:

I prefer a Hot Dong Summer :colbert:

prohibited

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I was gonna make moussaka this weekend but looks like I'll be settling for hummus, flatbread, dolmas, non meaty Mediterranean stuff

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Philthy posted:

Why would you even consider sending kids back to school this year. poo poo some places have already canceled/remote 2021.

my uni is considering doing in person fall classes because i live in florida and it makes me want to die (which is their goal lmao)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

fosborb posted:

lmao yup

deaths are on a 1-2 week lag so it basically tracks entirely with positives 2 weeks ago

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

capital is pushing to open back up, not people

https://twitter.com/tackettdc/status/1263173457275166720

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shovelbum posted:

If you locked down for like 16 weeks on stored rations without even trying to keep utilities beyond water going (would have to be summer or everyone would freeze to death) it would just go extinct.

Everyone would die when every country in the world rioted and it's pointless to talk about weird fantasies like this. Nobody is going to fast and go without electricity for 2 months, stop being dumb.

The US could maintain a somewhat aggressive lockdown for 3-4 months, which is probably what we'd need to do if we followed that up with eased restrictions at a reasonable rate. And by reasonable I mean dropping restrictions slowly over months, not this stupid bullshit where governors are like "eh, today we're going to open things up 50% and then on Friday we're opening everything up 100% idk"

Our response has been monumentally dumb, but we weren't even that loving far off. Expanded unemployment to the end of the year and way better payroll loans probably would have been enough to let us get through this with just a very deep recession instead of the economic hellstorm we're flying towards at warp speed right now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

I had been hoping that Beyond's price would become competetive with real meat, but not like this.

Not like this.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Lymphocytopenia, especially the reduced CD4+ and CD8+ T cell counts upon admission, was predictive of disease progression. High levels of IL-6 and IL-8 during treatment were observed in patients with severe or critical disease and correlated with decreased lymphocyte count. The determinants of disease severity seemed to stem mostly from host factors such as age, lymphocytopenia, and its associated cytokine storm, whereas viral genetic variation did not significantly affect the outcomes.

How excess alcohol depresses immune function

quote:

Alcoholism suppresses the immune system, resulting in a high risk of serious, and even life-threatening infections. A new study shows that this effect stems largely from alcohol's toxicity to immune system cells called dendritic cells. These cells play a critical role in immune function, responding to danger signals by searching for unfamiliar antigens within the body that would be coming from invading microbes, and presenting such antigens to T cells, thus activating them to seek and destroy cells containing these antigens.
The result: dendritic cells from the alcoholic mice had a poor ability to activate T cells, while the dendritic cells from mice on isocaloric diets containing no alcohol functioned normally. The researchers found further that the dendritic cells from alcohol-fed mice showed reduced antigen presentation compared to those from control mice, as well as less production of the regulatory cytokines. This research also confirmed earlier results showing that alcohol inhibits cytokine secretion by dendritic cells.

Uh oh.

Although this is still suggesting that if you hit the cytokine storm stage you need to start heavy drinking, which might be hard on a ventilator.

Lady Militant posted:

my uni is considering doing in person fall classes because i live in florida and it makes me want to die (which is their goal lmao)
The major NYC universities are in principle planning to do some level of in-person classes this fall, although they're also planning to be prepared to go back to online-only if necessary.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Scarodactyl posted:

I had been hoping that Beyond's price would become competetive with real meat, but not like this.

Not like this.

real meat is heavily subsidized by the feds. in an ideal world beef would be taxed pretty heavily because raising cattle like we do is just phenomenally bad for the environment.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

The major NYC universities are in principle planning to do some level of in-person classes this fall, although they're also planning to be prepared to go back to online-only if necessary.

I'm sure the NYC unis are just as cramped and overcrowded as mine (UCF has 63 thousand students), which means any level of in person classes are impossible because the groups will be to big. How tf you going to justify only seating 5% of the students and making the other 95% do the online thing? How will be decided who gets to go in? Will all the old professor wear full PPE for their entire lectures???

??????????

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to die because I drink too much lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah. I had started with my plan to reduce my meat intake before covid took off, and pretty quickly came to conclusion that it just makes far more sense to just not even attempt to replicate meatiness in your veggies. I've always been a big meat fan, but it really is much easier to accept something that's clearly not meat rather than a knock-off that just reminds you you're not eating meat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Philthy posted:

Why would you even consider sending kids back to school this year. poo poo some places have already canceled/remote 2021.

:shrug: my local school board gave all the kids ipads with unlimited tmobile data for this reason

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah. I had started with my plan to reduce my meat intake before covid took off, and pretty quickly came to conclusion that it just makes far more sense to just not even attempt to replicate meatiness in your veggies. I've always been a big meat fan, but it really is much easier to accept something that's clearly not meat rather than a knock-off that just reminds you you're not eating meat.

It's not universally true or anything, but it feels like everyone who tries to push meat substitutes didn't really like meat much in the first place because there's absolutely a difference. I love veggies and I've always loved veggies so I don't mind making meat-free dishes, but I also like meat and I've never run across any substitutes that make up for it. There's this really good organic grocery store near me that has (well, had) a great hot food bar with tons of stuff like vegan lasagna or "chicken" or whatever. It's all really good on its own merits, but it's not at all like the equivalent meat dishes.

The only exceptions I've found are with some of the burger substitutes if you're eating them in place of fast food burgers, but that's a really specific edge case and it's honestly getting less true as fast food burgers start using better meat anyway.

If you want to eat less meat, just eat less meat and more veggies. Vegetables are tasty and there's lot of stuff you can do with them without pretending that you're eating something else.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 19:48 on May 20, 2020

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

is testing actually available to whoever wants it in NYC?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lady Militant posted:

I'm sure the NYC unis are just as cramped and overcrowded as mine (UCF has 63 thousand students), which means any level of in person classes are impossible because the groups will be to big. How tf you going to justify only seating 5% of the students and making the other 95% do the online thing? How will be decided who gets to go in? Will all the old professor wear full PPE for their entire lectures???

??????????
Someone smart made this point in previously itt, but the goal is probably just to trick people to enroll in overpriced master's degree programs now before going online due to the inevitable fall lockdown.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
non-replica meatless content is this glorious bot:

https://twitter.com/RedwallFeasts/status/1262999823118196737

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nocturtle posted:

Someone smart made this point in previously itt, but the goal is probably just to trick people to enroll in overpriced master's degree programs now before going online due to the inevitable fall lockdown.

South Dakota is absolutely doing this, and then will super aggressively go after anyone who defaults on their student loans

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

shovelbum posted:

non-replica meatless content is this glorious bot:

https://twitter.com/RedwallFeasts/status/1262999823118196737

The feast descriptions in Redwall are the best things to look forward to in every book even when the plots eventually follow the same format.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Paradoxish posted:

It's not universally true or anything, but it feels like everyone who tries to push meat substitutes didn't really like meat much in the first place because there's absolutely a difference. I love veggies and I've always loved veggies so I don't mind making meat-free dishes, but I also like meat and I've never run across any substitutes that make up for it. There's this really organic grocery store near me that has (well, had) a great hot food bar with tons of stuff like vegan lasagna or "chicken" or whatever. It's all really good on its own merits, but it's not at all like the equivalent meat dishes.

The only exceptions I've found are with some of the burger substitutes if you're eating them in place of fast food burgers, but that's a really specific edge case and it's honestly getting less true as fast food burgers start using better meat anyway.

If you want to eat less meat, just eat less meat and more veggies. Vegetables are tasty and there's lot of stuff you can do with them without pretending that you're eating something else.
My experience is that vegetarian proteins like baked/seasoned tofu and paneer hit the "meat spot" for me better than any meat substitutes, and if I am really craving meat, I'll just go out and get a burger or something. Eliminating meat at home and only eating it when eating out should vastly decrease your meat consumption if you only eat out occasionally.

Also for me it took about four years to get completely comfortable with never having meat at home. It was not easy, and I still go out and get a burger or something every week or so. The food parts of your brain are extremely difficult to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

I sure hope so. I'm like two or three semesters from graduation and all this instability is uh, not great!