Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hurt myself laughing at this when it showed up on screen. The music was spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

yeah, the episode was entirely forgettable otherwise, but this had tears running down my face.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

I hurt myself laughing at this when it showed up on screen. The music was spot on.

You can't go wrong with some Motley Crue to showcase American culture.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

limp_cheese posted:

Wasn't M.A.D. supposed ro keep us safe?

No you idiot that was YOU!

I actually liked this episode. I know everyone hated the esports stuff but it was a pretty spot on. The commentators were great.

Yeah, I feel like this episode exists because someone on the writing staff honestly does like esports and channeled a lot of their passion for the subject into the script. Unfortunately, I'm not into esport or Overwatch or vaping so none of those jokes landed for me. Still, I'm glad they take risks like that when it comes to basing an episodes plot around niche culture things. One of my favorite episodes of all time is a highly specific spoof of a niche culture thing (Blood Cryth Onto Heaven, as I have ranted about in this thread before).

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

(Blood Cryth Onto Heaven, as I have ranted about in this thread before).

Jack was so perfect in that episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the episode was fine?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I feel as though Seth Macfarlane's voice is getting a weird, bubble-in-throat sound that crosses characters.

I thought Stan was fine but Steve definitely sounded a little off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Steve isn't a virgin though

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Jack was so perfect in that episode.

Please don't go down that road.

Not on those tires.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I feel like this episode exists because someone on the writing staff honestly does like esports and channeled a lot of their passion for the subject into the script.

Nah, this felt like TBS going 'Put Overwatch in an episode. Blizzard have paid us a ton of money and it's financing like 4 of your episodes.' Notice there's nothing negative about it or esports at all. The A story plot revolves around them as a plot device to get Stan and Steve to a place, but it could literally be anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, this felt like TBS going 'Put Overwatch in an episode. Blizzard have paid us a ton of money and it's financing like 4 of your episodes.' Notice there's nothing negative about it or esports at all. The A story plot revolves around them as a plot device to get Stan and Steve to a place, but it could literally be anything.

This is a fair point. A genuine take would have had some really dumb game, or the E-sports is a cover for something nefarious, or there's some weird internal politics, or someone vowing revenge........

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, TBS has their own esports show/series Eleague. So it's not surprising they are promoting esports.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

yeah, that makes more sense, like I said I know nothing about esports so it's impossible for me to tell when they're being portrayed with sincere passion or not. But hey, if they really did make some mad cash off this episode then good for them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is how AD does stuff when they’re not officially sponsored. Look at that Burger King logo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9KcRVmpsEs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I’m assuming that TBS is complying with some kind of FCC regulation that they can’t show someone lighting a cigarette/vaping? They cut away when the one CIA guy puffed on the vape pen which I thought was odd. In other episodes they have cut away when someone was taking a hit off of a bong or lighting a blunt so I assumed it was some kind of ‘don’t show characters smoking weed’ thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FCC doesn't have dominion over cable stations.

Also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZTd66NgBUQ

Many clips are from TBS seasons.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 20, 2020

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure there is still a rule against showing people smoking weed on TV. Unless you're talking about like HBO eveeytime someone takes a hit of weed they always cut away. The vaping thing might be new enough they still are unsure about whether they will be fined for showing it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A lot of cable channels still use FCC guidelines even though they are not technically under their jurisdiction

This is just something I have noticed with the show over the last few years

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It didn't seem like the writers were all that into Overwatch. Steve playing it with his friends would have made a lot more sense. They kind of just resorted to "adults don't understand what the kids are into" type of jokes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did you see the size of that rip I took?

Nope. The camera cut away. Sorry, Jeff Fischer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

limp_cheese posted:

I'm pretty sure there is still a rule against showing people smoking weed on TV. Unless you're talking about like HBO eveeytime someone takes a hit of weed they always cut away. The vaping thing might be new enough they still are unsure about whether they will be fined for showing it.

Again, the FCC has no authority to regulate content on cable TV. Their regulations only apply to broadcast airwaves.

And what the hell are you talking about them always cutting away when someone takes a hit? I see weed smoking all the time on TV.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah cable is under no legal obligation to any limitations, they self regulate because it's what the advertisers expect.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Again, the FCC has no authority to regulate content on cable TV. Their regulations only apply to broadcast airwaves.

And what the hell are you talking about them always cutting away when someone takes a hit? I see weed smoking all the time on TV.

They smoke weed, yes, but they don't show them acrually taking the bong rip or joint hit, they always cut away. If you think I'm wrong show me a clip of American Dad where the camera literally shows them taking the hit in frame.

Even if the FCC doesn't care Americans are still loving weird when it comes to drugs so they might be doing that so they don't lose viewers or advertising. Hell, American laws are all over the place so while the FCC might not care a state might have a law against showing it on TV.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah cable is under no legal obligation to any limitations, they self regulate because it's what the advertisers expect.
It’s this

And yes while they imply smoking/drug use as far as I can tell they will cut away quickly to avoid showing it directly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As far as smoking, I just posted like a 3 minute long clip of characters in American Dad actually drawing on cigarettes in frame.

As far as taking a hit, I wasn't talking specifically about american dad, i was talking about other TV shows.

I mean, I don't think 5 minutes went by in "Deadly Class" without Marcus taking a hit off a joint.

quote:

Hell, American laws are all over the place so while the FCC might not care a state might have a law against showing it on TV.

No, that's not a thing that can happen, at least not from a perspective of fines or penalties.

The worst that would be able to happen is your local franchising authority would threaten not to renew the agreement with a cable provider if they carried content that they didn't like. But that's a stretch in this day and age with monopolies and no local government is going to cut their area off from cable completely.

I mean, for fucks sake. Syfy had a someone being fisted on air at 10pm. The cable networks are finding people couldn't care less about the content on TVs.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 20, 2020

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

bull3964 posted:

I mean, for fucks sake. Syfy had a someone being fisted on air at 10pm. The cable networks are finding people couldn't care less about the content on TVs.

C'mon. You don't post this and not at least post a link about it. That's just rude.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

...who did what now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rudoku posted:

C'mon. You don't post this and not at least post a link about it. That's just rude.

I will not deny you the opportunity to experience Blood Drive in its entirety.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

bull3964 posted:

I will not deny you the opportunity to experience Blood Drive in its entirety.

Thanks. I'm not brave enough to Google "Syfy fisting at 10".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

limp_cheese posted:

They've directly shown Hayley and Jeff smoking weed, I'm pretty sure.

e: Realistically, I think it's more a pacing thing. You don't linger on a character smoking weed because it's kind of a time-consuming action, it's boring to watch, and it's hard to directly make a joke out of; it works as a background action while another character is doing stuff, or if the active joke is "this character is going through their boring routine," but otherwise cutting away is just straight-up the best option. Also, smoke is a bitch to animate.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

They've directly shown Hayley and Jeff smoking weed, I'm pretty sure.

e: Realistically, I think it's more a pacing thing. You don't linger on a character smoking weed because it's kind of a time-consuming action, it's boring to watch, and it's hard to directly make a joke out of; it works as a background action while another character is doing stuff, or if the active joke is "this character is going through their boring routine," but otherwise cutting away is just straight-up the best option. Also, smoke is a bitch to animate.

Can you find me a clip of it? Not trying to be a dick, I just would be pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong. Even during the weed factory episode I don't think they showed them smoking weed in frame. Showing the physical effects of it or implying usage sure, but not in frame. Even talk of how hard it is to animate doesn't really work since they show enough insane poo poo.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I could swear I've seen bong rips. It's possible that the show runners think vaping is gross and don't want to show use, while being ok with weed and accepting tobacco as a style reference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I mostly recall reaction shots. Pretty much anytime someone takes a bong rip in my memory, there's a shot of someone watching them do it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah it's never shown on screen. Always a sound effect while someone else watches.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TO1Ld2OTE

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Zachack posted:

I could swear I've seen bong rips. It's possible that the show runners think vaping is gross and don't want to show use, while being ok with weed and accepting tobacco as a style reference.

They're trying to avoid "well American Dad! made teenagers vape! It's a cartoon, and thus for children!"

The Overwatch thing was weird. I play it, but not competitively or anything, and like it was fine I guess but really didn't add anything to the episode that a fictional game wouldn't. Well, cash, it probably added cash.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zachack posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what you're thinking of. I think in the beginning of the Guy Fieri episode Jeff takes a hit off a bong in his lap where they don't cut away, but you can't see the bong and his face was covered by his hat. I tried to find a clip but couldn't.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
There was a gag specifically about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtHX8Cllauo&t=146s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

could it also be something like they keep things above-the-board for on air broadcast just in case they sell the syndication rights to another channel somewhere at some point? it landed on TBS but maybe it helps keep their options open without having to re-edit certain things?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

angerbeet posted:

The Overwatch thing was weird. I play it, but not competitively or anything, and like it was fine I guess but really didn't add anything to the episode that a fictional game wouldn't. Well, cash, it probably added cash.

It probably would have been funnier if it were a fake game. Beetman was funny after all. But yeah, no Beetman sponsors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The pro life types were mad about killing baby hitler