Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Fanatical has Pillars 2 Deadfire as the star deal right now, includes all the dlc stuff. 20 bucks!

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-obsidian-edition

That’s a shitton of game for 20 bucks. Jump on that if you don’t already have it, it improves on the first in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
One more try

Morter posted:

So I'm in the mood for racing games and I saw Redout is on sale. I've had this on my wishlist for a while.

I do like playing racing games sometimes but I never really sat down and finished one since, like, Burnout Paradise on the xbox.

Is it worth checking out Redout even casually?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Morter posted:

One more try

Maybe? Who can say really

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Closest podcast games to Elite Dangerous I can think of are Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator

Except my favorite part of ETS was listening to random UK radio stations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

redout has a demo. maybe that is enough by itself to satisfy your casual racing needs

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

One more try
Try the demo. I bought it expecting a spiritual sequel to Wipeout 2097 and it isn't anywhere as fun; the controls are kind of odd too. That might have just been caused by me using the keyboard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 20, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Morter posted:

So I'm in the mood for racing games and I saw Redout is on sale. I've had this on my wishlist for a while.

I do like playing racing games sometimes but I never really sat down and finished one since, like, Burnout Paradise on the xbox.

Is it worth checking out Redout even casually?

I liked it. I almost 100%ed it over the course of 25-30 hours but then my save file disappeared but I’m not sure that was the game’s fault. A decent Wipeout clone regardless.

EDIT: I will add that I played with a controller and there’s no way I would try to use keyboard and mouse to do the same. You have to be a little touchy with your braking and acceleration, and you can control the pitch of your vehicle in ways that are not remotely conducive to a keyboard.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 20, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How is Redout in VR? It looks like it may be cool but also might be a nightmare barffest.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Redout was given away for free like two weeks ago. If you have keys to trade or anything you can probably find a copy in exchange for some old trash you don't want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That Crucible game published by Amazon went live a bit ago. I played a round of their Battle Royale thing and it feels pretty janky but not terrible I guess? I need to spend some more time with it. It really feels like they just took five popular games and made them into one game though, there's so many clear "influences" from similar titles in there.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
most of the way through Darksiders III and it's still good. still wish it was less Soulslike but the exploration is really fun. lack of a map isn't too big an issue when you're tracking down the sins, but gets pretty annoying once you get more of the abilities and are trying to remember where newly accessible areas were

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s a shitton of game for 20 bucks. Jump on that if you don’t already have it, it improves on the first in every way.

Do I need to play the first one for it to make sense?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am just now seeing that valve is rebooting artifact as a totally f2p game and if you had cards from the first version they wont carry over so anyone who spent a bunch on early artifact gets the shaft yet again lol

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How is Redout in VR? It looks like it may be cool but also might be a nightmare barffest.

it's definitely a bit of a trip at first. It gets a lot easier to handle the more you embrace the ability to control the ship while keeping your vision stable. Eventually I found it easier in VR because of that. There's a lot of loops that obscure your ability to see what's next in the track followed by sudden turns and in VR you can just look up to see what's coming next.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

err posted:

Do I need to play the first one for it to make sense?

I played maybe an hour of the first one tops and still enjoyed the second. There are a lot of made up words that you have to learn pretty quickly but the story works well as a standalone. I also really like how it handles importing your decisions from the first game if you don't actually have a save from it, instead of just asking you about the specific fates of a bunch of people and places you don't care about (although I believe that's an option too) you can just choose from a list that's like "I accomplished my mission, but made some moral compromises to do it" or "I went out of my way to save everyone" or "I completely failed at every single opportunity, killed absolutely everyone possible, and never completed my quest"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i am just now seeing that valve is rebooting artifact as a totally f2p game and if you had cards from the first version they wont carry over so anyone who spent a bunch on early artifact gets the shaft yet again lol

The sentiment everywhere I've seen from people who were into the first game is that they're happy about it; having any game at all is better than having a bunch of digital cards for a game that nobody plays. I think they all get beta access and I'm sure they'll get some cosmetics or foil cards or whatever loot it is valve plans to sell with the reboot. Honestly everything points to them handling it well, they're being extremely transparent about development and they've committed to a much larger and longer beta -- I think rollouts are starting right now

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah there was basically no other good solution for Valve, the game was hosed and everyone abandoned it so to have any chance at a decent relaunch they need everyone to be starting at zero again. That said I don't think it'll work anyway

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Blattdorf posted:

The rather underwhelming Serious Sam 4 trailer included a release date: August 2020. All the trailers and everything are plastered all over Steam's frontpage. Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.

I just hope that their new engine supports weird gravity and portals so we can get back to some of the wilder map effects that we lost along the way.

DrNutt posted:

That Gary Jules cover is shite and the original song is perfect, Tears for Fears owns, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Coincidentally, I recently watched one of those "how it came about" videos on Mad World and the Tears for Fears guys both said that the Gary Jules cover was amazing and truer to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps

Comes up at 4:40.
I like them both for different reasons, personally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gromit posted:

Coincidentally, I recently watched one of those "how it came about" videos on Mad World and the Tears for Fears guys both said that the Gary Jules cover was amazing and truer to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps

Comes up at 4:40.
I like them both for different reasons, personally.

Typical British politeness. I stand by what I said. :colbert:

e: Welp beat Jedi Fallen Order and overall it was a mostly okay experience, marred by a few serious flaws that will probably get in the way of me going back to 100% or do a new game +. (Lack of fast travel being the big one, but also the combat just doesn't really stack up to comparable titles and it tries to be too many things at once imo). I will say (ending spoilers) the last mission was pretty neat for being able to take on a bunch of Imperials in combat arenas, and then the lead up to the appearance of You Know Who is appropriately ominous. Of course, that's pretty much immediately undercut by the fact that your entire crew escapes unharmed (the only serious casualty being your mentor's former padawan who turned inquisitor), only to vanish into the Disney Star Wars EU and never be seen again. Since it's a power fantasy video game I wasn't expecting a Rogue One ending massacre but it was a little silly how your little droid is even able to escape from Darth Vader's hand. Some sort of sacrifice would have been undoubtedly more predictable but still more satisfying than what we got.

And finally, the real crime: no smash cut to the Star Wars theme and its classic credits scroll against the star backdrop with familiar font. loving heresy. Although having played through KOTOR for the first time in years recently, I appreciate that they tried to work in some screen wipes and other little Star Wars cinematography quirks. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 feel much more generic in terms of camera style.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 20, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tales of Berseria first impressions:
Oh God all my gear has XP bars and I have to put 7 different skills into reasonable combat chains as if I have some clue what I'm doing where's the manual! And I guess there's a plot there as well, seems interesting,

For how much I gripe about when RPGs only drip-feed you one ability at a time... I'm out of practice with instantly processing this stuff.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I liked the bit of Berseria I played. The combat looks flashy but I feel super clunky and clumsy about it, so I stopped playing :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bruceski posted:

Tales of Berseria first impressions:
Oh God all my gear has XP bars and I have to put 7 different skills into reasonable combat chains as if I have some clue what I'm doing where's the manual! And I guess there's a plot there as well, seems interesting,

For how much I gripe about when RPGs only drip-feed you one ability at a time... I'm out of practice with instantly processing this stuff.

Berseria is my first Tales. I used like 3 skills and spammed it on everything. Hasn’t failed me yet. :shrug:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Help, Troubleshooter pals. I've fallen into a beast training hole and I can't get out. My party is going to be so overleveled because I keep going back to tame more beasts and figure out how all this poo poo works and raising my own special lightning shooting good boy from scratch.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Berseria works because it's mostly a very easy game and you can work with the bare minimum of several of its systems if you don't feel like putting much thought into them. The equipment skills are much easier to deal with since you can use extremely outdated pieces and still trample over enemies. Velvet's claw draining her HP is hardly a deterrent either, as the increased damage plus the rest of the party helping with the enemy juggling are more than enough to cover for you. The combo system takes a while to get used to, but I mostly set up 4 different trees to kill certain types of enemies; The one, for example, would have the ones that are good against flying types and another against beasts, switching up one here and there to make it have a little more variety or just because a dungeon would be more focused.

It has got you covered whether you want to chill all the way through or actually get involved and try the harder difficulties and hidden bosses.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Berseria sure went hot and heavy with the idyllic town's life intro. I almost rolled my eyes a couple times but the end result WAS really effective so that was nice.

That reminds me, if anyone has an extra copy of .hack from the bundle, I might be able to throw a Steam wallet code your way. I want a copy and haven't been able to find it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/20/21265275/g2a-confirms-it-sold-stolen-game-keys

Here's hoping other devs see the blood in the water.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How bad a game was Dragon Age 2? I absolutely loved the first dragon age, did multiple playthroughs. There was a ton of bad press and bad reception of Dragon Age 2 and I wound up never buying it. Is it unforgivably bad mostly because it was a big step down from it's predecessor?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Det_no posted:

Berseria sure went hot and heavy with the idyllic town's life intro. I almost rolled my eyes a couple times but the end result WAS really effective so that was nice.

That reminds me, if anyone has an extra copy of .hack from the bundle, I might be able to throw a Steam wallet code your way. I want a copy and haven't been able to find it.
I do! Regret buying it initially only for it show up in the bundle and decided to grab the whole thing. Let me know how you'd like to get in touch as you don't have PMs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sanctum posted:

How bad a game was Dragon Age 2? I absolutely loved the first dragon age, did multiple playthroughs. There was a ton of bad press and bad reception of Dragon Age 2 and I wound up never buying it. Is it unforgivably bad mostly because it was a big step down from it's predecessor?

It is a fascinating trainwreck that I think is worth playing through maybe once or twice if you don't mind the combat. Sassy sarcastic Hawke has a habit of crossing over into sociopathic.

edit: I'm sure other goons will have harsher words to say.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 21, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

I do! Regret buying it initially only for it show up in the bundle and decided to grab the whole thing. Let me know how you'd like to get in touch as you don't have PMs.

Videogames acquired. Thanks!

Det_no fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sanctum posted:

Do you enjoy using the same map over and over, too-frequent combat padded by trash enemies coming in waves so you can’t just splat them all at once, and a plot that railroads you in the dumbest ways possible?

Also, Sera in Inquisition sucks but Merrill in 2 is so, so much worse.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sanctum posted:

It was the best Dragon Age because it was a trashy action ME-like instead of a terrible attempt at Baldur's Gate (DA1) or a singleplayer MMO (DA3).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
DA3 is only obnoxiously MMO-like if you actually try to collect and finish every quest on every map as soon as you get there. The first map you get to in DA3 is stupid big and you are supposed to return there over and over when you feel like it, not grind your way through in a single sitting. It becomes much less annoying once you realize that and just go wherever.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

DA3 is only obnoxiously MMO-like if you actually try to collect and finish every quest on every map as soon as you get there. The first map you get to in DA3 is stupid big and you are supposed to return there over and over when you feel like it, not grind your way through in a single sitting. It becomes much less annoying once you realize that and just go wherever.
The other maps are also stupidly big with nothing in them. I've finished all 3. DA3 is terrible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
All DA games are terrible. Just pointing it out because a lot of people try to play it that way at first and it's a great way to burn yourself out on the game even if you actually like it. DA3 is ridiculously huge and trying to actively uncover every map all the time is just an exercise in futility.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked Inquisition but it doesn't always respect your time.

lots of 20 bear rear end quests

Cardiovorax posted:

All DA games are terrible. Just pointing it out because a lot of people try to play it that way at first and it's a great way to burn yourself out on the game even if you actually like it. DA3 is ridiculously huge and trying to actively uncover every map all the time is just an exercise in futility.

all video games are bad

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Bioware hasn't made a good game since that sonic rpg for gameboy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I knew based on MK9 and 10 and the Injustice games that I would probably like MK11, but this is on a whole other level. The best and most comprehensive tutorials I've seen in a fighting game since Skullgirls, plus a whole slew of performance options on PC. Seems like these days Netherrealms has this down and can basically do no wrong.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Seems unlikely tbh, it's likely that Wube only made money on this deal because of the 10x promise from G2A(which they surprisingly upheld). They only found ~$4k in fraudulent sales(198 keys) and Factorio has a number of factors* that make it easier for them to succeed here, I can't see smaller indie devs devoting time that could be spent on making their games better for a pittance they would likely have to fight tooth and nail with G2A to get.

The original promise was and is a largely performative action by G2A that was rightfully derided by indie devs because it puts the onus on the developers to do all the heavy lifting while G2A gets to deny or approve the illegitimate sales entirely at their own discretion with no oversight.(notice the independent auditor vanished)

I'm assuming the Factorio devs largely signed on to prove a point because they are one of a few that have the resources to do it.

*:
[*]No discounts or sales

G2A posted:

Why did TinyBuild refer only to the highest price point in their product history? While on the real market you can buy their products in a bundle on an 85 percent off discount as sourced. Finding a better medium [sic] price here would give a true overview. TinyBuild should explain to the media why they omitted their sales data from the revenue projection.
[*]Only sell Steam keys in three places 1)Steam 2)Humble 3)Their own site through the Humble Widget. I believe during the time period it was only through their own site with a different payment processor and Steam.(They also sell the game on GoG)
[*]Much greater sales than the average indie game
[*]A team larger than 1-3 people

Edit:Also lol at the money launderers acting like an aggrieved party in all this because occasionally they have to compensate people when their stolen keys get revoked or don't work.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Man I knew based on MK9 and 10 and the Injustice games that I would probably like MK11, but this is on a whole other level. The best and most comprehensive tutorials I've seen in a fighting game since Skullgirls, plus a whole slew of performance options on PC. Seems like these days Netherrealms has this down and can basically do no wrong.

I don't like how the actual games play but the tutorials are awesome-- Injustice 2 is the game that finally got me to stop checking out the moment I heard the term "frames"