Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lol just workout at home

https://www.insider.com/nurse-shows-the-alarming-impact-coronavirus-had-on-body-2020-5

Anyway, does anyone have opinions on a Half power rack vs the full thing with 4 legs? My budget is inclined to the half version

I won’t be lifting more than 2-3 plates (if I can get them), I’m guessing full cage is safer, but Half isn’t too bad right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bees out here trying to steal my gains.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can't even OHP in that cage. Get the smaller one.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
loving nightmare fuel right there

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jeff Nippard did a video on this. You can lose pretty much all your gains in 2 months of bed rest. But you can get them all back with 2 months of training right afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vHR2mAw2U

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 20, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I just keep thinking how loving dumb I'd feel if I got sick from the gym of all places, let alone transmitting it to someone else I know. And from everything I know the gym seems like one of the least safe places you could be. Yeah I probably wouldn't die but it can still severely gently caress you up and long-term effects are still unknown. If I was in a country that was handling its poo poo maybe I'd consider it but I'm in a terminally stupid country so I'm going to pass for now.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jeff Nippard did a video on this. You can lose pretty much all your gains in 2 months of bed rest. But you can get them all back with 2 months of training right afterwards.

You can also maintain your gains by just doing 1/9 of what you were doing before, so there's really no reason to risk losing them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can also maintain your gains by just doing 1/9 of what you were doing before, so there's really no reason to risk losing them.

100% agree. I know a lot of stuff is out of stock but between sandbags, bands, bodyweight, DIY concrete plates, etc, there's plenty of ways to do some training at home.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oyo/oyo-nova-gym

Lmao, this poo poo raised over two million dollars in like eight days.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

“Getting cut” now also refers to cable lacerations

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

1redflag posted:

“Getting cut” now also refers to cable lacerations

Was that not always the case? Have I been doing it wrong the entire time?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Greg Nuckols has advice on returning to training after a few months off. Bookmark that if you can't use it now.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oyo/oyo-nova-gym

Lmao, this poo poo raised over two million dollars in like eight days.

What's even the point here? It's just a bodyweight squat while holding a plastic widget.

Also they say they have shipped 65,000 units, the lowest tier is $149, and the Kickstarter has only raised $2.5m :raise:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
OYO NOVA Gym lmao, the name at least matches the product. What it actually is, is just another fad shortcut type lie they sold to people. It might even actually work if used regularly, hard to say, but most people who buy it are never gonna find out either way.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's even the point here? It's just a bodyweight squat while holding a plastic widget.

Also they say they have shipped 65,000 units, the lowest tier is $149, and the Kickstarter has only raised $2.5m :raise:

This is an improved version of a previously kickstarted project, so they're probably referring to those units.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hellblazer187 posted:

Watch how fat I get when I don't suck in my gut

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I've heard absolutely jack squat about my gym reopening but I haven't the foggiest how they're going to do it. Reserve a platform/rack in hour increments I suppose?

I'm just remembering back to the amount of people that would come into the gym and lift while sick, hacking up lung butter all over the place as they "just powered through"...yeah, I'll stick to home workouts with kettlebells for now, thanks.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Deadlifting went okay but my squat and bench are actual trash right now which is kinda weird because deadlift is the only thing I really didn't have some kind of bodyweight analogue for...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/WeedMubarak/status/1263522566322352128

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Lmao commies don't ever need any arm strength. The immortal science of Marxism-Leninism makes using your hands obsolete.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a joke tweet right? Anyway for physical labour you want a strong back and work capacity. Wanna guess how to get that? :11tea:

*One way anyway.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 22, 2020

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Work capacity is cardio, right?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

How worthless are 1rm calculators?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If your estimated 1RM is going up, you're making progress. Anything beyond that is less certain.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Deadlifting went okay but my squat and bench are actual trash right now which is kinda weird because deadlift is the only thing I really didn't have some kind of bodyweight analogue for...

Which did you test first?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

Work capacity is cardio, right?

It's more like how many reps you can do and recover from and be ready to go again the next day. That's how I understood it anyway.

* you probably already knew that, anyways :kiddo:

doverhog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 22, 2020

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

How worthless are 1rm calculators?

Any true 1RM attempt is gonna be dependent on factors like fatigue, practice with heavy singles, psychological readiness so a calculator isn't gonna be able to tell you what you're gonna total at a meet before you go. RPE calculators work well for what they do though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hellblazer187 posted:

Which did you test first?

Deadlift Monday, bench Tuesday, squat Thursday.

I could be recovering like poo poo but in my experience it's rare for deadlift to affect my bench the next day no matter how trashed I am.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Deadlift first is gonna tax the poo poo out of the other two lifts.

Test squat, bench then deadlift.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Deadlift first is gonna tax the poo poo out of the other two lifts.

Test squat, bench then deadlift.

Even across different days like they said?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Batterypowered7 posted:

Even across different days like they said?

If it doesn't take you the best part of a week to recover from deadlifts you're not deadlifting heavy enough.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
If you're not straddling the line of having an aneurysm, why the gently caress are you even deadlifting.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Someone's selling two 45 pound plates for $150 and I'm considering offering them like $135 or something. I don't want to pay that much per pound, but nobody's selling them for any less.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Someone's selling two 45 pound plates for $150 and I'm considering offering them like $135 or something. I don't want to pay that much per pound, but nobody's selling them for any less.

Lol it was close to 200 bucks for 2 45lb plates new for me, I'd buy those at 150. A buck and a half a pound isn't terrible.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Lol it was close to 200 bucks for 2 45lb plates new for me, I'd buy those at 150. A buck and a half a pound isn't terrible.

I check for these daily https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-45-lb-olympic-grip-plate but they're always out of stock. I bought the 215lb set from them for $190, so I've been spoiled on price.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I check for these daily https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cap-barbell-45-lb-olympic-grip-plate but they're always out of stock. I bought the 215lb set from them for $190, so I've been spoiled on price.

Why won’t they ship to California because of prop 65? I largely ignore those stupid warnings since it seems everything can cause cancer.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I should clarify that I always train this way so what I think I should be able to squat and bench assumes fatigue from deadlifting Monday.

I do have doms real bad though so maybe my recovery is just complete poo poo now.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

This popped up in my Facebook Marketplace, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

If it doesn't take you the best part of a week to recover from deadlifts you're not deadlifting heavy enough.

Pretty much.

If I'm deadliftint heavy it takes me sometimes 2 weeks to fully recover.