Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like, the people who think stuff is gonna stay closed, until when? When would be a safe time to reopen? When there's a vaccine in, maybe, 18 months? You know that's not realistic. "Stay closed" is not an actual answer.

The government was unwilling and unable to take the steps necessary to stop the virus. It's too late now. So the only way out is through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fits my needs posted:

lmao are you for real where was this at

trader joes in oakland

im sure they made her put her mask back on when she tried to go inside, like everyone else

but u gotta love a nurse that doesnt understand or care about how the death plague spreads :911:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zberan Madowinty posted:

i have a real "andy griffith and the fun girls" type of situation in downtown des moines where some girls I dated back in the day like to get sloshed and come by my place at 1 AM. I haven't had to deal with that in months, but I have a feeling that changes after this Friday lol

Condolences on the sex?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

cash crab posted:

lol if you don't wrap your ballsack in plastic at all times

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/u0421793/status/1263074139365130241

:thunk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zeriel posted:

They will reopen. Then shut down again after a month and 50% and above infection rates.

ok

fair enough

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I honestly think you can open retail up and R(t) will stay below 1 with only a mediocre amount of contact tracing. It's only the places where people hang out and talk or get physically active that are risky. So just shut the gently caress up and buy.

The office and in person meeting are dead until a vaccine. Any place that reopens will learn that quickly. Churches? Hahaha nope. Schools? Good luck. Air travel? Honestly may end up surprisingly less bad than we think but it will allow clusters to move.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

Arizona State apparently crunched the numbers and found out staying closed would cost them 300 million bucks so they are basically committed to opening up no matter what. Last I heard their plan was to toss anybody who gets sick into some on campus sanitarium that's been closed for a hundred years and is probably haunted

I can't imagine they're the only ones seeing those kind of numbers and planning those kinds of responses

Notre Dame has said they're opening for Fall but the semester will end (?) at fall break and nobody comes back, which would put a bunch of students on campus right during a projected second wave so ???

odds are almost all schools are open this Fall with some kind of hybrid setup where classes that realistically CAN be done online are but some are in person

Every school is just going to have profs do online lectures and TAs do the in person close up labs and let everyone under 40 get infected, it's either that or 100+ year old institutions can't meet payroll for the admins who get to decide on reopening

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

how would you adjust the models ian

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FizFashizzle posted:

The big events were more spread out but it seemed like huge institutions just vanished out of nowhere.

Like there’s this underlying current of dread then all of a sudden WaMu is gone.

well he shouldn’t have killed caesar if he didn’t wanna get blowed up by a flaming scarf :colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

How's the situation looking in the US now? Still on the path to ruin?

Things are still pretty controlled here in NZ, I'm at the hospital now and had to sanitize my hands 4 times, plus there's security guards and lines to control traffic. Even other non-health related places have strict limits on letting people in. And this is in the south island which hasn't had a case in I dunno exactly but quite awhile.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

Like, the people who think stuff is gonna stay closed, until when? When would be a safe time to reopen? When there's a vaccine in, maybe, 18 months? You know that's not realistic. "Stay closed" is not an actual answer.

The government was unwilling and unable to take the steps necessary to stop the virus. It's too late now. So the only way out is through.

Yeah this poo poo bums me out. I'm sitting at home on unemployment and things are ok. But I'm obese and at risk and my wife will 100% die if she gets it, same with my brother in law. So if either I or my sister in law have to go in to offices when they reopen in June, what the gently caress do we do. Its certain death for our loved ones because we use trains to commute 30 minutes each way (and I always end up in super packed office rooms) or I fight a foreclosure as long as I can

It was honestly nice having things shut down since I didn't have to make this choice , reopening sucks but it's not like I can avoid this thing forever

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:40 on May 21, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1262936558577111041?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Every school is just going to have profs do online lectures and TAs do the in person close up labs and let everyone under 40 get infected, it's either that or 100+ year old institutions can't meet payroll for the admins who get to decide on reopening

they actually floated that idea here apparently and it was met with horror at the prospect of what a PR nightmare that would be

unless they plan on increasing IT and classroom support 100-fold I don't see how running livestreams into half the classes on campus all day long is going to happen

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gripweed posted:

This statement requires the assumption that the government isn't going to step in and help people. It assumes that resources will not be distributed according to need, and that food, shelter, and medicine will be unavailable to those that need them.

That's true under the status quo, but the best health outcomes will follow if we all stay at home and POLITELY EXPLAIN to our elected republican leaders that we need these things. With great respect and decorum according to the rules of these forums, respectfully.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

We should stay at NZ level 4 equiv lockdown until vaccine imo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

this fuckin ping master

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Perhaps we could send letters to Mitch McConnell that say "Mr. McConnell SIR please don't let me starve to death sir".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s the skinny and fat Spidemans from into the spider verse

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

trader joes in oakland

im sure they made her put her mask back on when she tried to go inside, like everyone else

but u gotta love a nurse that doesnt understand or care about how the death plague spreads :911:

The rockridge one?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think the science will align to prove that if you sneeze its no big deal. HOWEVER! If two people sneeze and the streams cross then the virus be fuckin and humpin and then you get the virus babies and people start dying.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'M SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS GOD drat MALARKY!!!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zberan Madowinty posted:

i have a real "andy griffith and the fun girls" type of situation in downtown des moines where some girls I dated back in the day like to get sloshed and come by my place at 1 AM. I haven't had to deal with that in months, but I have a feeling that changes after this Friday lol

downtown is loving dead. as dead as it was 15 years ago when we lived above spaghetti works. I'm surprised that Hy-Vee is staying open tbh. and any bar that opens (all of Larry Smithsons', I assume) are trash I wouldn't go to before the pandemic anyway.

I will be real sad if the full court places open; I like their take out still

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zberan Madowinty posted:

Have a friend who is being told to get back to teaching preschool June 1 - also masks are not allowed as they will scare children.

Tell him to wear one anyway and then sue his employer for promoting a dangerous work environment after the retaliation

gregday
May 23, 2003

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

god drat, America

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

cash crab posted:

lol if you don't wrap your ballsack in plastic at all times

still covid free

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Arizona State apparently crunched the numbers and found out staying closed would cost them 300 million bucks so they are basically committed to opening up no matter what. Last I heard their plan was to toss anybody who gets sick into some on campus sanitarium that's been closed for a hundred years and is probably haunted

I can't imagine they're the only ones seeing those kind of numbers and planning those kinds of responses

Notre Dame has said they're opening for Fall but the semester will end (?) at fall break and nobody comes back, which would put a bunch of students on campus right during a projected second wave so ???

odds are almost all schools are open this Fall with some kind of hybrid setup where classes that realistically CAN be done online are but some are in person

I think west point is going to test and quarantine every cadet coming back and throw all those that show up positive into one of the barracks. They'll probably have MPs patrolling around to make sure any of the little fuckers dont escape.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

poty posted:

so things look rough in brazil

That Johns Hopkins site updated so now there's numbers for each State in Brazil.

Looks pretty evenly spread out across the whole country.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wow. This makes me want to die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

That Johns Hopkins site updated so now there's numbers for each State in Brazil.

Looks pretty evenly spread out across the whole country.

ah the where people live map

a classic

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

lmao wow this loving sucks so much

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I'm sure that's going to be a huge success.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Strom Thermos posted:

still covid free

covid freeballing was right there

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

my eyes glazed over this as a defense mechanism before I made the mistake of looking again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what are they gonna do when hardly any autograph signers show up because they don't wanna catch the roni and fuckin die

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDuByk9kLRM&t=29s

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if Fetish con will uncancel theirs. It's traditionally right selling the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

#ronibreak

Wonder how Spiderman would play out in Australia? Wonder no more

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/1263210938955513856