Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

it would come down to what the local judge thinks at the time

since trials aren’t really happening :shrug:

I didn’t consider there would be a judicial aspect of this issue.

That makes sense. I guess it would come down to court rulings, appeals, etc.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gio posted:

the expectation is that every classroom is this beautiful collaborative learning experience but the reality is a lot of traditional teaching methods are still used and are just fine.

maybe

I haven’t seen desks in rows and columns for awhile

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Um... the regular kind??

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Atrocious Joe posted:

Cuomo voice: just get yourself an essential job

LMAO! I saw that press briefing.

We can all go work at the grocery store for 7.25$/hr!

Problem solved.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mourne posted:

I didn’t consider there would be a judicial aspect of this issue.

That makes sense. I guess it would come down to court rulings, appeals, etc.

Thanks!

they can’t take your kids without a court event !!*

*in the jurisdictions I know about

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GcyBb-Xzk

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

they can’t take your kids without a court event !!*

*in the jurisdictions I know about

Thanks! I just learned something.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

snoo posted:

lmboing at having 30 kid classrooms somehow all spaced 6 feet apart

i have one of the largest classrooms in the school and no loving way thats happening.

if i had to guess whats going to happen—red states open the fuckers up; purple states do too with guidelines that no school can realistically follow; and blue states may go with part online part at home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you could do “””easily””” a three day schedule with half of the kids on one day half the other day and the third day every one does online (clean the school)

I am available to be hired for consultatio

this does
not solve the daycare problem

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/1263308533749121024?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Now that lockdown is over and covid is gone we can get back to right wing mass shootings

https://twitter.com/senquezada29/status/1263298028389036032?s=21

it is good to have some of the normal rhythms of life returning

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

maybe

I haven’t seen desks in rows and columns for awhile

elementary is obsessed with tables, secondary at an average public high school is generally a big mish-mash of individual classroom styles in the absence of heavy-handed admin mandates because secondary teachers, broadly speaking, do not give a gently caress about the latest fads in education

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Atrocious Joe posted:

it is good to have some of the normal rhythms of life returning

america is healing :unsmith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

elementary is obsessed with tables, secondary at an average public high school is generally a big mish-mash of individual classroom styles in the absence of heavy-handed admin mandates because secondary teachers, broadly speaking, do not give a gently caress about the latest fads in education

that makes sense

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1263139952205926402

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just go online at that point lmao

that isn’t school

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

that isn’t school

But their parents have to go back to work or number won't go up as fast

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

euphronius posted:

that isn’t school

lmao an entire wasted school year, that definitely won't have any knock on effects down the road

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao an entire wasted school year, that definitely won't have any knock on effects down the road

we could probably mostly make one lost year work. there is a lot of redundancy in middle school for example.

however I don’t think there is going to be a vaccine so

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

COVID-420 posted:

drat i've lived alone for the past five years because i'm an ADULT with my OWN PLACE like a real american should be

but i'm going to have to take in like...two roommates to get them bills paid

this sucks!!

euphronius posted:

good luck finding roni free tenants!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

a lost year in elementary is huge. massive. and theres a lot of parents who are not teaching their kids at home.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gio posted:

a lost year in elementary is huge. massive. and theres a lot of parents who are not teaching their kids at home.

Well then good news!

It'll be 2 years.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/berkeleyside/status/1263312366466260993?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

euphronius posted:

you could do “””easily””” a three day schedule with half of the kids on one day half the other day and the third day every one does online (clean the school)

If you do one day of pure online teaching you might as well do them all.

Most US school districts do not have anywhere near enough money to implement even really really loving basic precautions, so just keep everyone home at this point and figure it out.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Hmm this school problem sounds bad. Thankfully we have Betsy Devos to fix it!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we will probably have to do proficiency tests in two years and reassign based on ability lmao without regard to age

hahah that will be a cluster gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

If you do one day of pure online teaching you might as well do them all.

Most US school districts do not have anywhere near enough money to implement even really really loving basic precautions, so just keep everyone home at this point and figure it out.

I agree but that means no parents can work so

you see the problem !!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Look on the bright side

These kids will fit right in with everyone else when they're able to vote

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Maybe Walmart should drop a few learning cottages in the parking lot and use them as corporate schools for the employees. We can teach our kids about low prices and how to run shopping cart duty.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i mean lets be honest theyre just going to open the fuckers back up and everyone will go along

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Oh, here's a fun education thing that doesn't get talked about much: adult ed!

Adult education (GED, ESL, credit diploma) largely serves poor communities, people of color, and immigrants. It's super important, especially since most of these people would never be able to get any kind of real job without an equivalency diploma and obviously free ESL classes are a pretty essential community service in many places. GED and CDP in particular have a huge problem getting people to actually show up, and also many, many of their students are super poor and lack good access to technology.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Looking forward to trying Cincinnati style clam chowder.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

not trying to justify not wearing masks but her description sounds like a panic attack brought on partly by claustrophobia. i had that happen once myself at the start of the lockdown.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the carnitas wasn't even good

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Radirot posted:

not trying to justify not wearing masks but her description sounds like a panic attack brought on partly by claustrophobia. i had that happen once myself at the start of the lockdown.

yea this is what happens when your mind finally starts to piece together "oh this poo poo is for real."

some of us learn to deal with it. others cry about their right to not be confronted by reality lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
better to just act like everything is normal.and let 1.5% of the population die
anything else is too costly or hard

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

better to just act like everything is normal.and let 1.5% of the population die
anything else is too costly or hard

Also why public transit is dead

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
What's 1.5% of 328 million anyway?

Oh.

Oh my.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

all this horse hockey that people are pulling out of their asses to make schools be anything other than a giant petri dish will fail, because nothing will ever stop a bunch of little kids from slobbering on every surface within line of sight. it will also be exactly three minutes into the first day that some little poo poo fashions a sling from his mask. every square inch of plexiglass that regularly falls outside the surveillance of an adult for longer than ten seconds will be intricately engraved with a chronicle of idle moments variously interspersed by hate symbols and accounts of unpopular faculty members engaging in unnatural relations with domestic animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mummy Xzibit posted:

What's 1.5% of 328 million anyway?

Oh.

Oh my.

Some reddit chud, outright, gave me 70% infected with a 0.33% death rate as an example of how it "isn't that bad"

7.5m dead, not a big deal