Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Peeches posted:

Was Flat Stanley a real thing?

gently caress yeah.

Also, print out your own and ship it to someone random with some record of "if you got this, post here with a picture".

Start a thread and report the adventures.

Edit: this isn't the drunk thread, but still...do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/MgrG6vsjXx4

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

One episode I always waited for, but that never came was the real story of what happened to Cotton during the war. Cotton's war stories were always crazy tall tales, and some of the battles he claims to have fought in were overlapping. At one point he claims he fought in Munich then takes it back. I was expecting his injury to turn out to be something comically stupid, or just a accident like a tank ran over his legs after he tripped and fell in front of it shortly after arriving in Japan. Also it would turn out the majority Cotton's medals were fake, and the only real one was the purple heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0Z-V7-Jpo

Like that story right there is a mixture of JFK, Audie Murphy, and the USS Indianapolis.

Smiling Mandrill fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 20, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always assumed that elements of Cotton's story about how he lost his shins were true. There were tons of parts he outright lied about and the parts that were true were greatly exaggerated. They definitely didn't let him continue fighting after they recovered him from that incident so he must have killed his fiddieth man that day.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GolfHole posted:

*bobby, i don't care if it is the world's best graphics card -- it's made in canada*

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think there was an episode , the one where peggy learns to walk again, where even hank was like , who knows what happened to cotton during the war. What did happen was his shins did get blown off and the doctor told him he'd never walk again. I cant remember the rest but didn't he say cotton headbutted his junk or something.

I like that. Maybe it was all made up. But the dude got his shins blown off and his feet are sewn to the bottom of those stumps and is walking around like hes still 6 ft tall.
Cotton deserves the war hero treatment.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I always took it as Cotton really did fight and maybe do heroic things, but he's told the stories so many times and stretched the truth so much that he doesn't recall the actual events well anymore, which is why he mixes up where he even fought.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hihohe posted:

I think there was an episode , the one where peggy learns to walk again, where even hank was like , who knows what happened to cotton during the war. What did happen was his shins did get blown off and the doctor told him he'd never walk again. I cant remember the rest but didn't he say cotton headbutted his junk or something.

I like that. Maybe it was all made up. But the dude got his shins blown off and his feet are sewn to the bottom of those stumps and is walking around like hes still 6 ft tall.
Cotton deserves the war hero treatment.

"...he walked up to that doctor and punched him in the kidneys."

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I always took it as Cotton really did fight and maybe do heroic things, but he's told the stories so many times and stretched the truth so much that he doesn't recall the actual events well anymore, which is why he mixes up where he even fought.

This is also how I feel. Every time you see him handling a gun he does so with natural skill, and he's practically not afraid of anyone. Maybe not fiddy but he must have killed some people.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Boy, this ain't any canoe, this is Hitler's canoe.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

TOPSYS DEAD!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

rip sgt toppington

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hihohe posted:

TOPSYS DEAD!

KILL TOPSY, KILL!

Peeches
May 25, 2018

drunk mutt posted:

gently caress yeah.

Also, print out your own and ship it to someone random with some record of "if you got this, post here with a picture".

Start a thread and report the adventures.

Edit: this isn't the drunk thread, but still...do it
Sounds like it could kill some time and waste office supplies...
I'll print some at work if anyone wants one, I'll mail you a paper copy

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

This show really nailed what it's like hanging out with your grandpa and his friends as a kid.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"Topsy left me $10,000 to take care of his funeral. So, after the cremation and ash bag I'm still up $9,920!"

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Peeches posted:

Sounds like it could kill some time and waste office supplies...
I'll print some at work if anyone wants one, I'll mail you a paper copy

You should just print ONE and ship it around. It needs a story

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

One thing that always tickles me is when Cotton asks Gary if he knows Brooklyn in the episode where Hank goes blind.

And he does

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The joke is that nickname was common so of course he knows A Brooklyn but likely not Cotton's

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Some things just seem very odd about Cotton's war record. Like when in full dress uniform Cotton was shown wearing the Medal of Honor, and Legion of Honour. Those are the highest military decorations for both the USA, and France. Yet for some reason he had to fight to get a burial plot in the veterans' administration cemetery. There is no way in hell a veterans cemetery is ever going to consider turning down a Medal of Honor winner. You'd also think Hank would bring up the fact that Cotton won the Medal of Honor all the time, I mean the award is so prestigious that it is presented to the recipient by the President in person. Then again you could put it down to inconsistent writing since later on Cotton has them flush his ashes down the bar toilet General George S. Patton once used, thus making his fight for the cemetery plot totally pointless.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The joke is that nickname was common so of course he knows A Brooklyn but likely not Cotton's

It’s funny though, because he says something like: “I knew a broooook...stein”
And cotton goes, “yep that’s him”

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

namlosh posted:

It’s funny though, because he says something like: “I knew a broooook...stein”
And cotton goes, “yep that’s him”

Yeah a close enough situation. I misremembered

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I could only save three of my buddies: Fatty, Stinky, and Brooklyn. They were kind of like you fellas, only one of them was from Brooklyn

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Cotton at least really believes he killed fifty men. At the sweat lodge, the men he killed all appeared to him wanting revenge. What is more doubtful are all the details leading up to that.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always assumed that elements of Cotton's story about how he lost his shins were true. There were tons of parts he outright lied about and the parts that were true were greatly exaggerated. They definitely didn't let him continue fighting after they recovered him from that incident so he must have killed his fiddieth man that day.

Maybe I am remembering wrong but when they go to Japan, says he was being treated in the hospital at the end of the war so his injuries occured likely around then. His treatment overseas finished when they shipped him back to the United States.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Some things just seem very odd about Cotton's war record. Like when in full dress uniform Cotton was shown wearing the Medal of Honor, and Legion of Honour. Those are the highest military decorations for both the USA, and France. Yet for some reason he had to fight to get a burial plot in the veterans' administration cemetery. There is no way in hell a veterans cemetery is ever going to consider turning down a Medal of Honor winner. You'd also think Hank would bring up the fact that Cotton won the Medal of Honor all the time, I mean the award is so prestigious that it is presented to the recipient by the President in person. Then again you could put it down to inconsistent writing since later on Cotton has them flush his ashes down the bar toilet General George S. Patton once used, thus making his fight for the cemetery plot totally pointless.

he could have just bought replicas

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
remembered the part where Joseph kissed Minh and instead of being shocked she found it hilarious.

it's a disturbing scene made funny because of Minh's reaction. "Oh yeah. You rock my world!"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Plant MONSTER. posted:

remembered the part where Joseph kissed Minh and instead of being shocked she found it hilarious.

it's a disturbing scene made funny because of Minh's reaction. "Oh yeah. You rock my world!"

It's a top 5 scene in the entire run of the show imo. Minh slays it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I always figured his war stories were half truths mixed with things he bought at swap meets.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Joseph thinking he's this unspeakable beast of lust while Minh recognizes him for what he is (a not too bright, gangly, hormonal kid) is a great touch

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Joseph is such a massive creep, definitely a serial killer in training.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Frailty, but with government agents instead of demons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I stopped watching in like 05 but I took him to be just an awkward kid and assumed he’ll just grow out of it.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I figured it was more of a nod to Joseph being John Redcorn's son. Just like his John he's a tremendous horndog but got a Gribble upbringing so he's socially clueless.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm watching dances with dogs and holy poo poo this episode is a stone cold classic.

e: seriously, that's as good or better than any prime simpsons episode, just nonstop laughs.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 21, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

We got young sheldon when we should've gotten young Hank.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Jeans West Chronicles

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Young Sheldon improved on the source material but Young Hank definitely would not

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Honestly I just want more Cotton having adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"Mrs hill, isn't roe vs wade..."
"Yeah I know dear, but you have to pick your battles"