Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

orange sky posted:

are they as loving insane about school as the korean shows lead us to believe?

Depends what you mean about that, but I'm going to lean yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

Korea ain't Japan or China. Young people are fuckin' tall. You can easily have a six footer in middle school

I can attest to this.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Thanos was actually cool in that he just killed everyone in an instant and didn't make us wait months or years for millions of people to die in horrible agony where they were choking on their lungs terrified that this is the last strained breath they'll every take and also they turned into ash instead of in reality where they are horrible heavy rotting leaking corpses that pile up all over the place, which is a pain

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Depends what you mean about that, but I'm going to lean yes.

I mean kids having to go to tutoring for hours and hours after leaving school from an early age, and being excessively obsessed about grades and college entry, with parents putting enormous pressure on them to overachieve so they can join a chaebol. I can't imagine how this would be good for their mental health, it seems borderline abusive

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"DO IT" Rorschach bellowed at the virus, tears streaming down his face.

the virus looked down and uttered simply, "no"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I can attest to this.

It's so weird to see a young man with his father and grandfather. It's like bar graph. Literally six inch (15 cm) jumps between generations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

orange sky posted:

I mean kids having to go to tutoring for hours and hours after leaving school from an early age, and being excessively obsessed about grades and college entry, with parents putting enormous pressure on them to overachieve so they can join a chaebol. I can't imagine how this would be good for their mental health, it seems borderline abusive
Oh yes, absolutely.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Inceltown posted:

lmao, first it burns down, then there is roni. Yet they still want to open the thing up. How many more signs do you need that God loving hates you?

Yes, I know they're different Notres Dame

haha. when i heard about notre dame reopening in the fall, i googled “notre dame reopening” and saw an article about notre dame reopening in 2024 and was very confused. my usacentric brain forgot that notre dame cathedral was a thing. :doh:

i work at a private university. the president sent out an email to returning and incoming students assuring them that campus will reopen in the fall. gotta rake in those tuition dollars before parents realize school isn’t going to reopen and send their kids to a public university instead!! or worse, sue.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ever wonder how Ring around the Rosie, the plague song, was conceived as a nursery rhyme? It probably wasn't meant to be; it was a pandemic meme that was widely retweeted using whatever equivalent technology of the day. It stuck around because it was so catchy. People kept saying it like some kind of commercial jingle, and it wound its way into becoming a classic rhyme.

In a couple generations every nursery school child will be joining hands and doing the same dance for the catchier of our TRUMO *click!* memes and 'Roni memes. Preschool walls painted with catchy generational slogans like "piss tape is real" "all cops are bastards" "stonks make NUMBER go up" will be the norm then

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/rumireports/status/1263352830225551360
the p tape is real and it caused the coronavirus

English speakers running around like motherfuckin' Daffy Duck, hosing everybody down with 'roni laden dental fricatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsTk5i7mPw

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

My test came back positive. I got the vid!

I got the covid!

Covid19 baby!!

RIGHTEOUS!!
Mazel Tov, my Friend. :h:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

the replies to this are great

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

As someone who has taught many years in Korea, 1/4th of the student body wears masks at any one time, even if there's nothing special going on.

does Korea have English teaching programs like Japan where you basically are qualified if you have any degree at all? just curious

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ever wonder how Ring around the Rosie, the plague song, was conceived as a nursery rhyme? It probably wasn't meant to be; it was a pandemic meme that was widely retweeted using whatever equivalent technology of the day. It stuck around because it was so catchy. People kept saying it like some kind of commercial jingle, and it wound its way into becoming a classic rhyme.

In a couple generations every nursery school child will be joining hands and doing the same dance for the catchier of our TRUMO *click!* memes and 'Roni memes. Preschool walls painted with catchy generational slogans like "piss tape is real" "all cops are bastards" "stonks make NUMBER go up" will be the norm then

it's pretty rad thinking about future generations of children doing a vocalized version of the coffin dancing meme

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Solarin posted:

it's pretty rad thinking about future generations of children doing a vocalized version of the coffin dancing meme

Taking turns putting a friend on a board or doing the dance with a cardboard box yeah

This rules actually

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Solarin posted:

does Korea have English teaching programs like Japan where you basically are qualified if you have any degree at all? just curious

Yeah, but the good jobs are more competitive these days because of people like me with masters degrees in education fleeing the US.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/rumireports/status/1263352830225551360
the p tape is real and it caused the coronavirus

second day ever by number of cases in worldometer

first day with over 100k cases since april 24th

Add Metal Gear Solid V to the growing list of documentaries

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but the good jobs are more competitive these days because of people like me with masters degrees in education fleeing the US.

nice, lucky for me I have no degree at all.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What's the evidence that radish paste doesn't work????

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

While SARS-CoV-2 has a very high R0, it looks like it also may have a very low dispersion factor. That means that it goes off like a bomb in the right places and doesn't really spread evenly at all when the ingredients aren't right. Here's parts from a good thread on it:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262871743972114432

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262873604796145665

So covid outbreaks are extremely stochastic. 3/4 times nothing may happen and 1/4 times it may blow up. There may be some environments that are conducive to superspreading or some people that are super spreaders while the median chance of infection remains quite low.

This sort of information combined with the low household attack rate leads me to believe that if people don't spend a prolonged duration with an infected person doing an activity that generates droplets, then they probably won't get infected.

I read in a study somewhere that 80% of secondary cases were caused by only 8% of initial cases.

IIRC that was the case in the first SARS outbreak too. Most people would spread it to maybe 1 other person, usually someone in their household or to a HCW, but then there would be superspreaders that would spread it to like 80-100 other people.

Epidemiologists still don't know if superspreaders are due to different behavior or different physiology (eg viral shedding).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'd also like to know.

I mean, have you ever seen a radish hooked up to a ventilator in a COVID-19 ICU ward? No of course not. Coincidence ....... or science?!???!?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gang tags are real and are my friend

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Atrocious Joe posted:

What have you got to lose!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Good morning, how is Corona-Chan today?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Ebola Roulette posted:

I read in a study somewhere that 80% of secondary cases were caused by only 8% of initial cases.

IIRC that was the case in the first SARS outbreak too. Most people would spread it to maybe 1 other person, usually someone in their household or to a HCW, but then there would be superspreaders that would spread it to like 80-100 other people.

Epidemiologists still don't know if superspreaders are due to different behavior or different physiology (eg viral shedding).

shedma balls

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wrex Ruckus posted:

What have you got to lose!

I think that's been my favourite moment so far

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Iron Crowned posted:

Busy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

5 million and counting, never seen a stronger virus. So potent.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

orange sky posted:

man what the gently caress Sweden

I can't fully rule out that being true, but this is some straight nazi platforming. The quoted nurse is seated in regional government for SD, the swedish nazi party. Her three last twitter posts are: 1) another article about how healthcare is killing old people; 2) a post outraged about a woman in hijab was visible in a PR shot for her district; 3) a post about how we are killing 85,000 children worldwide by misspending the money to save them on the costs associated with accepting 1,000 refugees (or something like that, not about the click the link).

Overall the primary group demanding more substantial action in Sweden is our flavor of alt-right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inceltown posted:

5 million and counting, never seen a stronger virus. So potent.

Thank you Mr. PResident!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

and yet nobody does anything about fuckhead president constantly going out telling people to chomp on fishtank cleaner.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mission Hospital was the best hospital in western north carolina. After an expansion, when they were vulnerable, BCBS demanded they except lower reimbursements for their patients. This was a teaching hospital that served a very at risk community. Due to that, Mission Hospital Systems were forced to sell to Rick Scott's old Company, HCA.

The results have been predictable. I'm sure all of you can just guess the moves that have been made.

The nurses are unionizing, supported by the National Nurses Union. Mission hospital itself is trying to fudge the vote.

https://twitter.com/asheville/status/1263437400958734339?s=20

Mission wants the union vote to include nurses that don't work at the hospital (lmao what) as well as nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists.

Also, they want the voting to happen in person. During a pandemic.

Luckily the NNU is helping coordinate and can threaten an HCA with strikes across the nation but go asheville nurses go :unsmith:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

While SARS-CoV-2 has a very high R0, it looks like it also may have a very low dispersion factor. That means that it goes off like a bomb in the right places and doesn't really spread evenly at all when the ingredients aren't right. Here's parts from a good thread on it:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262871743972114432

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1262873604796145665

So covid outbreaks are extremely stochastic. 3/4 times nothing may happen and 1/4 times it may blow up. There may be some environments that are conducive to superspreading or some people that are super spreaders while the median chance of infection remains quite low.

This sort of information combined with the low household attack rate leads me to believe that if people don't spend a prolonged duration with an infected person doing an activity that generates droplets, then they probably won't get infected.
I suggested this as an explanation for a possible French origin earlier in the thread. Clearly I've got an instinctual understanding of pandemics and I should be heading the global efforts to contain the virus.

Ebola Roulette posted:

It could be both. Considerate and hygienic people with limited viral shedding end up infecting no one, high viral shedding or inconsiderate unhygienic people infect a couple, while the ones who are just naturally more infectious while also being the type to cough directly into someone's face end up infecting everyone they interact with. The "cough directly in your face" types are probably the like 10-20% of the population who don't wash their hands after taking a poo poo.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

Mission Hospital was the best hospital in western north carolina. After an expansion, when they were vulnerable, BCBS demanded they except lower reimbursements for their patients. This was a teaching hospital that served a very at risk community. Due to that, Mission Hospital Systems were forced to sell to Rick Scott's old Company, HCA.

The results have been predictable. I'm sure all of you can just guess the moves that have been made.

The nurses are unionizing, supported by the National Nurses Union. Mission hospital itself is trying to fudge the vote.

https://twitter.com/asheville/status/1263437400958734339?s=20

Mission wants the union vote to include nurses that don't work at the hospital (lmao what) as well as nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists.

Also, they want the voting to happen in person. During a pandemic.

Luckily the NNU is helping coordinate and can threaten an HCA with strikes across the nation but go asheville nurses go :unsmith:

turn the biltmore into a hospital imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

the hell kind of math you doing

My bad, 762k, still a shitload of dead people.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

lol right wing talking points back on social media (I previously posted about how my chud family hadn’t posted much in a week)

positing “what if this was a terror attack? would we let the terorrists win by closing everything down? stopping are graduations and KILLING our economy for something with a death rate a bit higher than the flu?? now all terrorists need are a virus and not even a bomb!!”

crack

loving

PING

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

lol right wing talking points back on social media (I previously posted about how my chud family hadn’t posted much in a week)

positing “what if this was a terror attack? would we let the terorrists win by closing everything down? stopping are graduations and KILLING our economy for something with a death rate a bit higher than the flu?? now all terrorists need are a virus and not even a bomb!!”

crack

loving

PING

bomb death isn't communicable

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Crazyweasel posted:

crack

loving

PING

GOP voters are the terrorists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1263448114880548865

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1263449002688864256

Mr Ice Cream Glove has issued a correction as of 13:43 on May 21, 2020