Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

Ah yes, getting up early, that famously non-terrible thing.

Signed, a night person

I just do not understand this fetishisation of getting up early.

If you get your 7-8 hours of sleep (for health) does it matter if it's from 10pm-6am or from 230am - 9am + afternoon kip? I frequently have this discussion with my mother who gets up goddam early as to why her 8 hours is more holy than my 8 hours.

And as to all those productivity blogs - I was reading one yesterday (one of my favourite things to do to procrastinate and waste time is read productivity blogs) that was saying 'get up at 4am'! Why, god, why? (And go to bed at 8pm!)

Page snipe:

Room 101 from 1984 (not the dreadful game show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3U83QLoATU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you get your 7-8 hours of sleep (for health) does it matter if it's from 10pm-6am or from 230am - 9am + afternoon kip? I frequently have this discussion with my mother who gets up goddam early as to why her 8 hours is more holy than my 8 hours.

And as to all those productivity blogs - I was reading one yesterday (one of my favourite things to do to procrastinate and waste time is read productivity blogs) that was saying 'get up at 4am'! Why, god, why? (And go to bed at 8pm!)

Page snipe:

Room 101 from 1984 (not the dreadful game show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3U83QLoATU

I get up early in the summer because it's light outside, sunrise just now is a little before 5am so by 6am it's nice outside so might as well get up.

Don't ask about winter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dawn is a nice time of day, I definitely feel better when I wake up around 5 and go to sleep around 9.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

I suspect many Conservative voters are not quite aware of the sharp liberalisation of their party on the question of immigration targets
I think some of them are starting to make noises due to Farage's new-found hobby of boatspotting, but where that leads I don't know.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And as to all those productivity blogs - I was reading one yesterday (one of my favourite things to do to procrastinate and waste time is read productivity blogs) that was saying 'get up at 4am'! Why, god, why?

Because no one else is up, so you won't be interrupted, or tempted by forms of entertainment available at night. That's it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah, we've been trapping moths in the garden as well so you've got to get up at dawn anyway to see what you caught.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
“Getting up early in the morning”is a dog whistle in Ireland for sensible middle class white collar worker who works really hard, ideally in financial services or managing a small business and who really pays for everything in the country, unlike all those scrotes, scaldies, work shy scroungers, public sector workers, members of unions, nurses and every other parasite that contributes nothing to our great little nation.

If Leo Varadkar could arrange a photo op where he tackles a welfare cheat and hauls them into the Gardai he would and would be unironically cheered by that sector of Ireland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

On the note of getting up early, Moths!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1263386036987670528?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the fluffy dragon at the top.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Wow, once again I’m blown away by the sheer kindness and solidarity of our little coven of internet leftists. I just woke up to a shitload of pms and emails with orders and good wishes, and am trying not to cry. You people are amazing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How is puss? What did the vet say was wrong?

So, we took Digby to the late night vet and had something of a nightmare journey- he was freaking out and hyperventilating all the way. The vet gave him oxygen to calm him down then examined him. Signs are pointing to a viral infection; he spent the night there and was given an anti emetic shot; apparently he managed to escape from his crate overnight and went exploring..

This morning Bob was off his food and also puked up- so it’s looking more and more like something viral. I’m picking Digby up from the late night vet at 2, and dropping Bob off to our local branch in about 40 minutes.

Have a picture of Digby when we first met him, back in July 2018. It was during the massive heatwave, and he waddled over, licked my sock and then crawled on top of my foot and went to sleep. I knew we had to have him there and then. I’m a size 12, to give you an idea of what a tiny little bean he was back then.

Edit: will reply to everything after I’ve done my assorted vet trips

Camrath fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 21, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I like the fluffy dragon at the top.

That's an Ermine Moth, the a Lesser Swallow Prominent and a Popular Hawk Moth which is huge by the way.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

seems like a bad idea for a bank to go "no you can't have your money because we don't like you now"?

like if I was any sort of foreign government I would immediately withdraw any reserves held in British banks because who knows when we'll decide we want to use it as leverage, especially now we are on the fast track to the hermit kingdom

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

seems like a bad idea for a bank to go "no you can't have your money because we don't like you now"?

like if I was any sort of foreign government I would immediately withdraw any reserves held in British banks because who knows when we'll decide we want to use it as leverage, especially now we are on the fast track to the hermit kingdom

They'll be doing it in concert with the US, which means it's perfectly fine.

I hope your kits come out OK, Camrath.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

XMNN posted:

it was a move done when guaido tried to do a coup with US backing and failed

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You keep safe Camrath! Wishing the kits all the best.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

British nationalist complaining about nationalism is a hoot.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

XMNN posted:

my feeling is that the Tories at least don't really need to triangulate anymore because brexit has completed the process of chudifying large parts of the electorate and now labour are communist enemies of grate britan and you'll never reason a lot of people out of that, no matter how moderate you try and appear.

Yep, I fear this might be the case.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is very well put (and with a lot less swearing than I'd have used). Ronya might need a copy-editor, but the vampire-seeing-sunlight reaction of certain posters to them is just ridiculous

Agreed. If you don't like their posts, just skim over them. Simple. I normally learn something from reading them.

ronya posted:

it was more moderate - Miliband in 2015 pledged less austerity than Corbyn accepted as an already-passed done deal (the Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016 was only planned when Miliband went to the polls), and Miliband of course did not pledge to end free movement (nor did he really need to in 2015 pre-referendum of course). As far as the critical issue of the election went - immigration immigration immigration - Labour circa 2017 was actually much more hostile than Labour circa 2015, which would not (and could not) have countenanced ending free movement

of course rhetorically Corbyn set out to challenge the framing a great deal more, but if framing and not substance is what counts, then the Conservatives have eventually likewise found the key by Johnson claiming all the credit for planned spending increases and merely not pitching the framing of budgetary caution

This take on the 2017 Labour manifesto austerity levels never seems to get enough airtime, since I remember looking into it at the time and discovering that it was basically true.

That said, I think we're in the crazy place where the framing is even more important than the substance. In a world where the Tories could do no manifesto costings, yet criticise Labour for not costing their manifesto properly, it's clear that the public don't care about the substance.

Successful framing allows us to slowly chip away at the corrosive crab bucket mentality that's got so much of the general public in its vice-like grip.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There's always the old wives' tale that an hour before midnight is worth two after. I have no idea whether that's true or not, or whether a couple of hours back and forward makes much difference. But if you have sleep patterns that are majorly different from your circadian rhythm then there are serious long term health consequences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

Wow, once again I’m blown away by the sheer kindness and solidarity of our little coven of internet leftists. I just woke up to a shitload of pms and emails with orders and good wishes, and am trying not to cry. You people are amazing.

How vegetarian is your fudge? Particularly the marshmallows.

Also, what size are the bags? I don't think you ever said.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

How vegetarian is your fudge? Particularly the marshmallows.

Also, what size are the bags? I don't think you ever said.

So, the marshmallows contain gelatine, but aside from that I don’t believe there’s any meat-based stuff in any of the flavours. I’ll double check when I get home, as I’m currently playing cat-chauffeur.

Bags are all 100g.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Did someone in last month's thread mention some sort of pub quiz site that played nicely with zoom video calls, or was it in another thread/just a dream? My family are talking about doing something like that but there's talk of powerpoints (and I know my family, letting any one member rather than an impartial outsider set the questions will result in murder).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

I read a book called Lords of Finance wherein I discovered that during, eg WW2, most of the world's gold wealth was stored in the vaults of the Bank of England and if it was sold or otherwise acquired by another country, they put the ingots in a wheelbarrow and moved them to a different vault.

But yeah, that is wicked, and then all the tories will point at Venezuela and say 'Corbyn'.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did someone in last month's thread mention some sort of pub quiz site that played nicely with zoom video calls, or was it in another thread/just a dream? My family are talking about doing something like that but there's talk of powerpoints (and I know my family, letting any one member rather than an impartial outsider set the questions will result in murder).

We have found the Jackbox party games have worked quite well. You can share your screen from the PC running the game and everyone joins on their phones. There is a decent selection of quizzes and games but Fibbage and Quiplash have been most popular.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I've order a cinema food package via Scott Cinemas for £20. it's like a 2kg bag of popcorn and a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to horde it until the cinemas open back up and sell it to people outside to undercut them.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Aramoro posted:

On the note of getting up early, Moths!

he is handsome :allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Prince John posted:

There's always the old wives' tale that an hour before midnight is worth two after. I have no idea whether that's true or not, or whether a couple of hours back and forward makes much difference. But if you have sleep patterns that are majorly different from your circadian rhythm then there are serious long term health consequences.

I tried the getting up early thing when I had one of those jobs which you went in, did your stuff, came home and forgot about it.
Instead of my usual 10-630 in the office, I did 8-430. (My office had unofficial flexi approach). My commute in the early time was longer (nearer 4 hours than 3) and as weeks went on I felt more and more unwell. I gave it 6 months by which time I was so sleep deprived I could barely think straight. I reverted to the 10-630 pattern (but then got promoted and was expected to get home, have an hour for personal break and then get on the emails and pager til midnight.) and felt better within days.
Also by working 8-430 I never got a minute's peace in the office from people yabbering, phoning, pinging you emails which demanded immediate answers, calling stupid meetings.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Camrath posted:

So, the marshmallows contain gelatine, but aside from that I don’t believe there’s any meat-based stuff in any of the flavours. I’ll double check when I get home, as I’m currently playing cat-chauffeur.

Bags are all 100g.

Someone earlier asked about a low-carb version. Is that on the cards?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1263382775194943490?s=21

This seems like a major step in the collapse of print media. Advertisers are going to take one look at this and run away screaming.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What is the "standard" circadian rhythm supposed to be?

Darth Walrus posted:

This seems like a major step in the collapse of print media. Advertisers are going to take one look at this and run away screaming.

I do feel sad for all the folks who try to do well in local papers, but this is quite good as regards the national ones!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Camrath posted:

Bags are all 100g.

How likely are they to kill a diabetic?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably they may still offer them to advertisers though they really can't die soon enough so here's hoping.

E: papers not diabetics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdz5Qx0Otg

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gods dammit!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Josef bugman posted:

One, thirteen or seventeen years.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, while the substance of the manifesto may have made 2017 less radical that 2015 in some respects, the framing of a corbyn government was that it would involve radical change. So everyone - on the right and the left - were acting like that was the case. If we had won in 2017 and the question was about how radical Mcdonnell was actually going to be, some of those inter-left conflicts would have come back up. But words written in a manifesto hardly anyone reads are less important than how the prospect of government is being discussed.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sad Panda posted:

Someone earlier asked about a low-carb version. Is that on the cards?

I need to do research on that- I honestly have no idea if such a thing is even possible in a chemical sense (the reason fudge works is due to certain properties of sugar when heated to various temperatures- I’d be very wary of boiling up pans of artificial sweeteners just due to the risk of who-knows-what off gassing and giving me turbocancer). So I’ll see what the story is, and if it’s possible start offering from next month.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Gods dammit!

24 hours but it needs resetting daily with a dose of sunlight.
Experiments have shown that if people don't get that and live in a cave with no natural light and no time pieces, they drift to a longer time maybe 25/27 hours (or even longer in some cases)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1330995/

Ancient Alien theorists say that this approaches the natural day length on Mars (25 hours) and thus proves humans came from Mars. source: Ancient Aliens.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Josef bugman posted:

I do feel sad for all the folks who try to do well in local papers, but this is quite good as regards the national ones!

23.5 hours, reset to 24 by exposure to sunlight. (source, we do circadian experiments on here at work)

Or do you mean, what time should I be getting up? in which case studies how that is very much a person to person - as is the amount of sleep a person needs to function. Night owls and Early birds are both biologically sound concepts, (I'm a 4am starter, but thats the only quiet time I get to do my LP's) but timings are person by person, so anyone trying to sell a perfect sleep cycle is a opinionated fool.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

That is very relaxing.
I wonder if there is a 10 hours version? Shall investigate.
There was a 10 hour Shipping Forecast on Youtube but they didn't have the little tune so I was disappointed with that.
I like the long railway journey one, and sometimes find the 'coffee shop background noises' conducive to working at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

I need to do research on that- I honestly have no idea if such a thing is even possible in a chemical sense (the reason fudge works is due to certain properties of sugar when heated to various temperatures- I’d be very wary of boiling up pans of artificial sweeteners just due to the risk of who-knows-what off gassing and giving me turbocancer). So I’ll see what the story is, and if it’s possible start offering from next month.

It's possible, but you don't do it by whacking stevia and xylitol in the boiler. I believe it's more of a simulated fudge than a conversion of the recipe and process.