Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

tortilla_chip posted:

You should look at Salesforce

I looked and applied, but was rejected even before an interview. It's probably a bit presumptuous of me, but I'm not sure why. What are companies like this looking for on resumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't have experience with Salesforce, but my large-company experience has basically been that Google, Amazon, and Facebook would hit me up every few months to see if I wanted to work there. When I got sick of oldjob, I applied to Google and Amazon. I also applied to Apple via their website. I got offers from Google and Amazon; I work for Google now.

I never heard back from Apple, despite being a very good fit for the job posting. I think I had less direct experience than they wanted, but there were other similar jobs open with less experience required. In any case, some people who work for Apple were like "lol you applied through the website, it's terrible, next time give me your resume because our process is bad and insane."

I generally assume that any sort of submit-a-resume-to-a-form process has a very high likelihood of never being seen by a human being no matter how great a fit you and/or your resume are for the position, especially at large companies that can afford to reject people without an actual reason. I may be totally full of it, but my experience (or lack thereof) with Apple made me deeply skeptical of the rationality of bigcos' submission processes. I always figured that when I didn't hear back it was mostly because I wasn't a good fit or good enough or whatever, but now I view the submission process as an even less reasonable and less scrutable version of interviewing generally.

Not knowing you, your resume, or the job posting I can't say whether or not you were rejected with reason, but in general your best bet is gonna be internal referrals. A lot of the time, the people referring you can just say "Yo I know this person from a web forum" and get you into the funnel without actually having to vouch for you in a way that'd put them at risk (though I have no idea how common this is overall). Worst case, maybe hit up a Salesforce recruiter on LinkedIn? I got my Google job by emailing a recruiter - my assigned recruiter's email was bouncing, and this recruiter had hit up a friend a month or so previous, so I just got the details from her.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't have experience with Salesforce, but my large-company experience has basically been that Google, Amazon, and Facebook would hit me up every few months to see if I wanted to work there. When I got sick of oldjob, I applied to Google and Amazon. I also applied to Apple via their website. I got offers from Google and Amazon; I work for Google now.

I never heard back from Apple, despite being a very good fit for the job posting. I think I had less direct experience than they wanted, but there were other similar jobs open with less experience required. In any case, some people who work for Apple were like "lol you applied through the website, it's terrible, next time give me your resume because our process is bad and insane."

I generally assume that any sort of submit-a-resume-to-a-form process has a very high likelihood of never being seen by a human being no matter how great a fit you and/or your resume are for the position, especially at large companies that can afford to reject people without an actual reason. I may be totally full of it, but my experience (or lack thereof) with Apple made me deeply skeptical of the rationality of bigcos' submission processes. I always figured that when I didn't hear back it was mostly because I wasn't a good fit or good enough or whatever, but now I view the submission process as an even less reasonable and less scrutable version of interviewing generally.

Not knowing you, your resume, or the job posting I can't say whether or not you were rejected with reason, but in general your best bet is gonna be internal referrals. A lot of the time, the people referring you can just say "Yo I know this person from a web forum" and get you into the funnel without actually having to vouch for you in a way that'd put them at risk (though I have no idea how common this is overall). Worst case, maybe hit up a Salesforce recruiter on LinkedIn? I got my Google job by emailing a recruiter - my assigned recruiter's email was bouncing, and this recruiter had hit up a friend a month or so previous, so I just got the details from her.

Thanks, that's super useful!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Can confirm all of that; internal referrals are what make the world go 'round.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah. Not even the tech giants can solve for human networking that was the best way ever since the prostitution jobs were invented.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Here's a new situation I could use some help with:

One of my developers is from India, and there haven't been any issues with his communications in the past.

In January he took a 30 day trip to India to visit his family.

Ever since then, I assume compounded by the quarantine poo poo, his English has deteriorated dramatically. To the point where I had to ask him to stop corresponding with our customers after several interactions left us in bad situations.

Anyone have any advice?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
How long had he been in the U.S? It seems weird that his English would get worse after just a few weeks.

Stupid question: have you checked that it's actually him you're communicating with? I presume you've made voice or video calls but unsure if you're just going on his writing.

We had a very talented engineer from a major outsourcing contractor over for on-site training. After he went back home, his work deteriorated but he had a very fast output.
Turns out he was now supervising three junior engineers that he trained himself.

(I don't blame him, this is what his boss told him to do. Of course, they invoiced us the rate of the senior engineer for every work package they did, until we caught wind of this scheme.)

Not saying that's what happened to your guy, but if he got sick or had a family emergency, is it plausible that he got someone else to cover for him?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

How long had he been in the U.S? It seems weird that his English would get worse after just a few weeks.

Stupid question: have you checked that it's actually him you're communicating with? I presume you've made voice or video calls but unsure if you're just going on his writing.

We had a very talented engineer from a major outsourcing contractor over for on-site training. After he went back home, his work deteriorated but he had a very fast output.
Turns out he was now supervising three junior engineers that he trained himself.

(I don't blame him, this is what his boss told him to do. Of course, they invoiced us the rate of the senior engineer for every work package they did, until we caught wind of this scheme.)

Not saying that's what happened to your guy, but if he got sick or had a family emergency, is it plausible that he got someone else to cover for him?

He's living in the states and we've had multiple video chats since he got back (he got back before quarantine and was in the office). His English in the video chats has not been good lately.

I tried putting him on some more back-end/coding projects, but I think he's trying to hide his language problems - unless I walk him through requirements at a nanoscopic detail and make him repeat them to me, what he outputs doesn't match the requirements at all. :( I feel bad about it but drat I literally have him working on nothing right now.

We're a global company and half the people we work with speak English as a second language. I've asked the one other woman at work who speaks his native language to talk to him, and he's been extremely defensive about us being the ones to mess up requirements(?). Probably going to have to get rid of him.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

it's actually his brother

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Ah, by "back" you mean "back in the US"? He's been a remote worker all along?

Yes, I guess your employee got married off and his twin brother is now in the U.S. supervising some junior engineers back in India, and they are messing up the product... :iiam:

Well, anyway, I got no good advice, as you can see.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It seems weird that his English would get worse after just a few weeks.

It's not that strange. Memory, even of languages, is incredibly context-dependant and being back home halfway across the world he may lack the context to recall a second language well enough. Stress about the pandemic probably doesn't help recall, either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Many moons ago I dated a girl whos parents were divorced, she lived with her dad in the states and periodically she'd talk to her mom on the phone who lived back in England while I was over. It was impressive. Went from total normal american teenager accent, to thick woodsy welsh (think english but weird) drawl. Just instantly. From "oh hey it's my mom" in american english, then "hi mum," and then every word after that in a deep welsh english accent, almost incomprehensible. And then for about an hour after she would sort of cycle through british recieved ("queens english") and then back to american. On the phone she had a british accent when talking to her dad. As far as I could tell she could not turn it on or off at will outside of talking to her parents, and it wasn't something she did for attention or whatever.

Now my wife, also foreign born/foreign language; and when she's talking to/with/about her family drops into a different accent/grammatical set, and then when she's talking about work her accent disappears and grammar improves dramatically to that of a native american english speaker; I call them different persona/personality and I'm only maybe a quarter joking.

TL;DR accents can change dramatically, very rapidly

begin random speculation:

There's a bunch of research linking auditory hallucinations with hearing voices, multiple personalities etc.... doesn't seem like too much of a stretch that people who regularly converse in two languages would develop two personas, and with them two different accents.

I know my sentence structure, grammar, and vocabulary change dramatically after I've been traveling for a few weeks to better communicate with non-native english speakers, and then it takes me a couple weeks at the office to morph back to regular

Pujabi/Hindi/Tamil/whatever is so absolutely different from western european language it's not surprising that the guy would revert back to his old persona with the thick accent

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i can definitely vouch for my english randomly and unconsciously changing from weird-american-ish to weird-british-ish depending on whether the person i'm talking to is american or british. i just straight up absorb their accents, and i only really notice it if there's a burger and a brit in the same conversation because my brain shortcircuits

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm now wondering why the Irish accent is particularly sticky. Even lamenting it seems to make it creep up on me.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
code switching, heh get it

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm probably looking at an opportunity to move laterally in salary into a position I would rather be in at a place that does interesting engineering work . My current employer is going to try and back up the Brinks truck if they're not dumb (they're really dumb, but I have a good sense since my boss is terrified I'm going to leave and he's already trying to convince me to take on a team lead position, for which I've already asked for more money). I loving hate my current employer. but if the new place works out my current salary is probably the max they could offer me. What sorts of things could I ask for to sweeten the pot? I know extra vacation time, but what else?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm probably looking at an opportunity to move laterally in salary into a position I would rather be in at a place that does interesting engineering work . My current employer is going to try and back up the Brinks truck if they're not dumb (they're really dumb, but I have a good sense since my boss is terrified I'm going to leave and he's already trying to convince me to take on a team lead position, for which I've already asked for more money). I loving hate my current employer. but if the new place works out my current salary is probably the max they could offer me. What sorts of things could I ask for to sweeten the pot? I know extra vacation time, but what else?

wfh days?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Inacio posted:

wfh days?
Yeah I have been stuck at home for the last two months and will be at home for the foreseeable future, let's say this is not a perk I would take advantage of.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Yeah I have been stuck at home for the last two months and will be at home for the foreseeable future, let's say this is not a perk I would take advantage of.

hence the question mark :v:

im a remote worker myself and boy do i crave a 1h30 both ways commute and a noisy office right about now

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Inacio posted:

hence the question mark :v:

im a remote worker myself and boy do i crave a 1h30 both ways commute and a noisy office right about now
I never minded my commute because it was mostly a time to read and be alone with my thoughts but I never thought I'd miss it as much as I do now.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I never minded my commute because it was mostly a time to read and be alone with my thoughts but I never thought I'd miss it as much as I do now.

i despised my commute. for good reason.

had to wake up at 5am so i wouldn't be omw to work during peak (7-8am);
had to take a bus, the train, then the subway;
even at 6am they were already incredibly full;
all of this was in Rio, where it's insanely hot (even at 6am quite often, but for sure at 4pm when i left; i'm talking 35-43 celsius here);
it was 1h30 to work and 1h30 from work;
sometimes poo poo happened and all of the above got worse (got my phone stolen once for example)

0/10, would not recommend. gently caress Rio.

e: i now work from home, make way more than i did, don't have to live in rio anymore, weather is much nicer, city is less dangerous, i have my own cozy office

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, I was glad to ditch my 25-minute commute. gently caress commuting. Sure I miss the office some days but I don't miss wasting most of an hour every day.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm like a block from my office but I still like being able to play some tunes at home while workin'

A couple of my coworkers had already been doing wednesday wfh before all this, and I think I'll do the same thing once things reopen

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 16, 2020

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The best part about everyone being remote is now meetings start on time, because nobody can use the "I was waiting for the elevator" excuse for showing up late.

The downside is that we have any meetings at all, considering a lot of us have to trade toddler duty shifts with our significant others.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yup. Gotta keep track of those butts in seats, amirite?

Totes not looking forward to my parental leave ending soon. :ohdear:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

The best part about everyone being remote is now meetings start on time, because nobody can use the "I was waiting for the elevator" excuse for showing up late.

The downside is that we have any meetings at all, considering a lot of us have to trade toddler duty shifts with our significant others.

People are still consistently late to my meetings, although more so later in the day, most people are usually in on time for standup with just a few stragglers piling in slightly late.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Signing bonus

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cellphone stipend, bus pass, parking, etc

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Good ideas. I think I'll go for a signing bonus, extra vacation time, and a Metrocard stipend. I figure I can get the latter two and if I'm lucky some kind of signing bonus if they can put together the budget for me at all. Which at this point is the big question.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they already have a commuter benefits program, you're probably not going to have much luck asking for the Metrocard stipend.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ultrafilter posted:

If they already have a commuter benefits program, you're probably not going to have much luck asking for the Metrocard stipend.
True. Worth asking for though, my current employer pays for that. Of course they cut it right when the pandemic started and I doubt they'll give it back.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm saving 50 miles of driving a day and 3 hours of time. gently caress wasting 250 miles of gas and 15 hours of my life to go sit in a cubicle where I can blast rain sounds in my ears for 8 hours so I can concentrate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Work from home thursdays and fridays, and yeah an extra week a year of vacation. Maybe a 3 month paid mental health sabbatical Q1 of 2021 or whenever you think you'll actually be able to go on vacation that's not on this year's fiscal books.These things cost the employer nothing extra. When you pitch the work from home you have to spin it with a story like that your old uncle tim has a heart problem and medicare only covers three days a week in home care, so you really need to work from his house two days a week plus in this new role ill be more effective at home. Etc etc. That way management has a story to lean back on when everyone else comes crying to them that they don't get work from home.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I'm saving 50 miles of driving a day and 3 hours of time. gently caress wasting 250 miles of gas and 15 hours of my life to go sit in a cubicle where I can blast rain sounds in my ears for 8 hours so I can concentrate.

gently caress agreeing to a job with that much of a commute in the first place :v: Where are you that 50 miles takes 3 hours, so I can make a note never to live there.

I just started my new job in January, it was pretty great and then my boss got fired at the start of Corona in March which I was very unhappy with. Now the state is easing restrictions in my area (Western New York) so the office just told us to get our asses back into the office on Monday Tuesday. I'm not UNHAPPY here, but it's not the same without my boss and going into the office this quickly seems irresponsible and pointless.

I've always disliked commuting, but 2 months of working from home and WOW I want a full time remote job so drat bad now. It's only about an hour round trip and maybe $3 in gas per day, but that's still 5 hours a week -- 10 full days in a year -- and $750 in gas per year. Not to mention wear and tear on the car, could switch to a cheaper insurance policy with reduced mileage etc. The amount we give up for virtually no reason is absolutely insane.

Twice over the last 2 months I went to the CTO and was like, "Hey so this project is running ahead of schedule and we'll be done faster than expected". I think next week I'm going to bring this up and ask for at least 1 day per week from home. He does it himself! Every Friday he takes off to travel some number of hours back to his home state. I was thinking of also pointing out how Twitter is allowing people to continue working remotely forever. How else could I bolster my argument?

I also put out maybe half a dozen applications to Full Time Remote jobs on Indeed last night, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd feel mildly bad about bailing on this new job so quickly... But seriously, the wool has been pulled from my eyes in regards how much of a waste going into an office is. Sure, sometimes it's easier to discuss ideas in person but those occasions are far and few between in terms of my daily responsibilities.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I was thinking of also pointing out how Twitter is allowing people to continue working remotely forever. How else could I bolster my argument?

I also put out maybe half a dozen applications to Full Time Remote jobs on Indeed last night, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd feel mildly bad about bailing on this new job so quickly... But seriously, the wool has been pulled from my eyes in regards how much of a waste going into an office is. Sure, sometimes it's easier to discuss ideas in person but those occasions are far and few between in terms of my daily responsibilities.

i wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to let you work remote (you're not an exec, so your quality of life is irrelevant), but i'd definitely start shooting resumes out like a madman.
on my last job i presented very valid arguments about remote work, like how i was losing 3h+ every day and my sleep habits were trash because of how early i had to wake up, how in the rare occasions in which i had to work from home due to sickness etc i was still just as productive (or even more productive) but in the end they just shot it down with "it's not how we do things here, it's just not our culture. sorry"
i've since learned that if i want better pay/better work conditions i just need to change jobs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inacio posted:

(you're not an exec, so your quality of life is irrelevant)

i've since learned that if i want better pay/better work conditions i just need to change jobs.

Yea that's pretty much my expectations. But I figure I may as well shoot my shot.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Well turns out they just couldn't meet my salary requirement. Which is annoying because it's about average for mid-to-senior developers in NYC, but whatever, I'm not taking a paycut.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sab669 posted:

gently caress agreeing to a job with that much of a commute in the first place :v: Where are you that 50 miles takes 3 hours, so I can make a note never to live there.

I just started my new job in January, it was pretty great and then my boss got fired at the start of Corona in March which I was very unhappy with. Now the state is easing restrictions in my area (Western New York) so the office just told us to get our asses back into the office on Monday Tuesday. I'm not UNHAPPY here, but it's not the same without my boss and going into the office this quickly seems irresponsible and pointless.

I've always disliked commuting, but 2 months of working from home and WOW I want a full time remote job so drat bad now. It's only about an hour round trip and maybe $3 in gas per day, but that's still 5 hours a week -- 10 full days in a year -- and $750 in gas per year. Not to mention wear and tear on the car, could switch to a cheaper insurance policy with reduced mileage etc. The amount we give up for virtually no reason is absolutely insane.

Twice over the last 2 months I went to the CTO and was like, "Hey so this project is running ahead of schedule and we'll be done faster than expected". I think next week I'm going to bring this up and ask for at least 1 day per week from home. He does it himself! Every Friday he takes off to travel some number of hours back to his home state. I was thinking of also pointing out how Twitter is allowing people to continue working remotely forever. How else could I bolster my argument?

I live in Broomfield (North of Denver) and work at DTC (South of Denver). I had to move for my wife's job

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Traffic is that bad around Denver? gently caress. I was looking at relocating to Denver/Boulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Sab669 posted:

Traffic is that bad around Denver? gently caress. I was looking at relocating to Denver/Boulder.

same