Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I absolutely want to play the Scooby-Doo RPG now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"roinks, raggy! ri rink rou're rore rof ra 'Riss Raggot' rind rof ruy!"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Harry could have solved the case on day one if he'd had a scooby snack.

Electrochemistry: ENGAGING TURBO MODE.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I absolutely want to play the Scooby-Doo RPG now.

Yeah that's Bubblegumshoe.

quote:

Someone stole my kid brother’s bike…

Someone sabotaged the pep rally…

Someone destroyed the Homecoming queen’s reputation…

The world is full of mysteries. It’s up to your group of intrepid teen sleuths to solve them. In Bubblegumshoe, players step into the shoes of high-schoolers solving mysteries in a modern American small town. Discover clues, solve problems, and throw down with enemies in this streamlined RPG based on the GUMSHOE system.

In this stand-alone game, you’ll find:

Rules to create your Sleuth’s web of relationships and make the most of GUMSHOE’s resource-management
A simple setting system designed for large scale town creation all the way down to scene locations, plus extensive information on Drewsbury, a ready-to-go setting
A variety of short mystery starters, including a full introductory mystery: Hey! That’s My Bike!
Extensive support to help GMs create their own mysteries using pre-established characters and settings
Rules for social Throwdowns as well as physical altercations to reflect the drama of high school noir
A slimmed-down list of investigative abilities vs GUMSHOE’s default to make for faster decision making

I'll note that while the cover is nice, the interior art is rear end and reminds me of those 80s Choose Your Own Advaenture novel lineart images.

Alternatively for the edgier kind of Scooby Doo there's Monster of the Week, though really that's more for Buffy and Supernatural style stuff. It uses the PbtA framework I mentioned last post.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Powered by the Apocalypse games are pretty neat, yeah. A group of friends and I have played in a "Dungeon World" game, it's pretty fun! Although you really gotta lean into it, it strikes me as the kind of game only works if everyone is on the same page. But I've only played it with the same group of five, so, who knows.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I started a second playthrough and died of humiliation after failing to shoot the body down, but then realized it felt a little too early to replay anyway. I remember too much of the story. I'm not gonna be able to recreate the feeling of, say, continuing to pour points into slamming myself against a mysterious door because I just KNOW that SOMETHING is back there, and then being so thrilled when it finally works.

I also sort of wish I'd tried a bit less hard to solve the mystery on my first run! Does anyone else feel that way? I went for a "crazier" build on the second run after playing my first game fairly "straight" (ie picking the dialogue options I'd pick in real life), and I'm feeling like maybe I should have done the opposite.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Also, a spoilerly question about the endgame:

Is it possible to deduce who the killer is before you go to the island? For me, it was totally out of nowhere, but I know I missed some bits of the game - I never delved too much into the traffic jam, and after the shootout Kim told me that Joyce had left before we got all the info from her.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

Is it possible to deduce who the killer is before you go to the island? For me, it was totally out of nowhere, but I know I missed some bits of the game - I never delved too much into the traffic jam, and after the shootout Kim told me that Joyce had left before we got all the info from her.

No.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

No. Literally nobody knows who he is (except for possibly Edgar and Evrart, and he doesn't mention it). The best you can do is figure out that the island is a potential location where the shot came from, but rule it as extremely low probability, and you can't get there until after the tribunal anyway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

showbiz_liz posted:

No, it's really a twist, I don't think you have anywhere near enough information to figure it out even if you play the rest of the game perfectly.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
re end game,

There are hints scattered throughout the game that indicate the presence of some unknown actor, the footprints in the old pinball repair shop being the most obvious, also white flower petals on the roof, the cigarette butts, some inconsistencies in the description of events around the killing, etc. Plus the references to the historical events of the revolution that set the tone for it. However I don't recall there being a direct indication of who exactly the killer is. I don't think he is known to any characters to be honest, besides brothers Claire that is.

However, I just finished a second playthrough a few days ago, and there are a few times where Inland Empire and Shivers explicidly and gleefully spoil the whole thing, but in a way that is completely inpenetrable on the first playthrough. There's the whole "love did me in but communism pulled the trigger" dead body talk which has been mentioned quite a lot, but I remember there being at least 3 or 4 other moments (can't remember the exact circumstances though) where I just lold at the audacity of the writers. Also, with the right skills, monseur Costeau will latch onto the inconstistencies and odd bits like petals and cigarette butts and will bring them up all the time like a maniac while being completely on point about it being important somehow

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

nurmie posted:

However, I just finished a second playthrough a few days ago, and there are a few times where Inland Empire and Shivers explicidly and gleefully spoil the whole thing, but in a way that is completely inpenetrable on the first playthrough. There's the whole "love did me in but communism pulled the trigger" dead body talk which has been mentioned quite a lot, but I remember there being at least 3 or 4 other moments (can't remember the exact circumstances though) where I just lold at the audacity of the writers. Also, with the right skills, monseur Costeau will latch onto the inconstistencies and odd bits like petals and cigarette butts and will bring them up all the time like a maniac while being completely on point about it being important somehow

This is interesting! At first I was irritated by the fact that, as far as I could tell, the mystery is absolutely not solvable before the solution is handed to you, which sort of undermines it as a mystery game in my opinion. That's not really the kind of game this ultimately is, so I'm cool with it, but I do think it's a fair criticism based on how the game presents itself.

Before I got to the end, I was actually expecting that I would ultimately be forced to choose a suspect as the killer, without ever actually being told by the game if I was right. I think there's a Sherlock Holmes game that works that way.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

showbiz_liz posted:

This is interesting! At first I was irritated by the fact that, as far as I could tell, the mystery is absolutely not solvable before the solution is handed to you, which sort of undermines it as a mystery game in my opinion. That's not really the kind of game this ultimately is, so I'm cool with it, but I do think it's a fair criticism based on how the game presents itself.

Somebody post the list of how it intentionally subverts all the noir tropes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kaysette posted:

Somebody post the list of how it intentionally subverts all the noir tropes.
It subverts the "fair play mystery" tropes. Which is what noir (or neo-noir) works are meant to do.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No. Literally nobody knows who he is (except for possibly Edgar and Evrart, and he doesn't mention it). The best you can do is figure out that the island is a potential location where the shot came from, but rule it as extremely low probability, and you can't get there until after the tribunal anyway.

as nurmie mentions, shivers very early on convinced me that the shot came from the island, drat the odds

also of course there's the view of martinaise on the main menu screen being from the perspective of someone on the island, looking southeast, probably from the sniper's nest itself

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doc Hawkins posted:

also of course there's the view of martinaise on the main menu screen being from the perspective of someone on the island, looking southeast, probably from the sniper's nest itself

Realizing this is such an incredible moment. To make this the loving main menu screen - having people figure out that they've literally been looking through the eyes of the killer - takes immense confidence in your work.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i failed an authority check, asked kim for his gun and used it to shoot myself in the mouth. quality game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

where the red fern gropes posted:

i failed an authority check, asked kim for his gun and used it to shoot myself in the mouth. quality game

Point status: proven

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah this was my first end of game. After a few seconds of shock I realized the game did not have the training wheels I've become so used to over the years.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Reminds me of how Prey(2017) told you to ride in a helicopter right at the start of the game, and it would absolutely not at all prevent you from decapitating yourself by jumping into its spinning blades.

In fact, it even gave you an achievement for it!

While it's nothing like Disco Elysium gameplay or writing wise, it does kind of provide the same glee of "Will the game let me attempt this dumb poo poo to see if it succeeds? Oh wow it totally does."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

wit posted:

Yeah this was my first end of game. After a few seconds of shock I realized the game did not have the training wheels I've become so used to over the years.

No heart attack from trying to get your tie?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Exactly, my first game was about 30 seconds long because of that tie.

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress ok GOTY

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

gently caress ok GOTY

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I picked the game back up after moving to a new place and boy oh boy, I bet met Ruby last night!

It didn't end well, so I reloaded my save and tried again. It didn't end well in a completely new way! Wow this sucks!!!!!!

First time I somehow failed a 93% check to stop the device, and Ruby got away. This frustrated me so I reloaded and successfully knocked over the device. Then I could not pass the check that followed. Jesus loving christ I should have just accepted the first result.:shepface:

Aug 24, 2011

drat, i missed that check because i thought i could come back to it later

i guess on the plus side i passed a subsequent authority check and only had to pay 30 real, but on the minus side i missed out on... that

i also managed to sell kim's hubcaps without him present so i've been running around as a rich liberal all game. hope nothing costs more than 200 real!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i also managed to sell kim's hubcaps without him present

I hope you rot in hell

Aug 24, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I hope you rot in hell

it's ok, he trusts me. on an unrelated note i have these sweet boots now

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

it's ok, he trusts me. on an unrelated note i have these sweet boots now

I can't believe you would do this to dear sweet Kimothy :mad:

Aug 24, 2011

weird bug/exploit? opened game, pushed down arrow key (load), hit enter, hit enter again (loaded save) and uhhhh i can get all my thoughts back and all of the green circles are also here again

also all my tasks are gone and everything is reset this is weird it's like ng+ or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
first time playing, should i pick one of the three background characters or make my own?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I made my own and have no regrets, just pick skills that look interesting to you imo

e: I should say don't try to min max it, you can miss stuff but I don't think it's possible to ever gently caress anything up too badly and failing some rolls is half the fun

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 21, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kurtofan posted:

first time playing, should i pick one of the three background characters or make my own?

do as thou wilt

(the game is balanced well and all builds are viable)

except probably don't take anything down to "1" on your first run that can make things a little complicated sometimes

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I made my own.

For a first time you might want to make sure psyche and physique aren't 1 because those affect your mental/physical hitpoints

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
To be a contrarian, I did a phys 1 run my first time and it was kinda great. You definitely have to be careful how you approach situations and it forced me into some decisions I probably wouldn't have made otherwise. Just had to make sure to quicksave often and carry healing items.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I went 5-4-2-2 first time and it was great. I enjoyed getting a shitload of encyclopedia info about the world and nailing all the visual calculus rolls easily while still getting a lot of inland empire. My second run was the reverse and I got to chill with physical instrument and shivers which was also fun.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

To be a contrarian, I did a phys 1 run my first time and it was kinda great. You definitely have to be careful how you approach situations and it forced me into some decisions I probably wouldn't have made otherwise. Just had to make sure to quicksave often and carry healing items.

Same, except I didn't need to mess with quicksaving or anything, the game gives you so many healing items I was always safe and I never had to buy any. You should be fine with any stat combo.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm preparing to launch a Kickstarter for a TTRPG I made, and the Disco Elysium twitter retweeted and liked the announcement so I had our artist do a lil tribute for the book

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I made my first character a bit TOO balanced and I somewhat regret it, because the really crazy thoughts pop up more and more as you advance in points for each skill. So if you go for an across-the-board OK guy, rather than a guy with a ton of X and very little Z, you will miss out on the unique insights the skills can provide early on. Restarting with a very unbalanced build has been more interesting in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That tribunal though.

What a hoot!