Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

erasing poverty would help more

but your idea would be good too.
without a doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:d2a:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gotta admit sitting in my car for 6 hours and getting a donut at the end would be a nice change from sitting at my home office for 6 hours and not getting a donut at the end

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

wonder if these lines will make it into any advertising material lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

this is what all the people screaming about reopening missed. This is what they're willing to risk their lives for lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Outrail posted:

Jesus, that's like three times as many teachers.

E:^^ education should be free. Or at least the first 3 years of chosen studies if its in an area that society needs more of (whether that's trade school or doctor school or comp Sci or teacherology or whatever).

society is poo poo at determining what it needs more of, if it were up to society everyone would be service workers for the wealthy and science would grind to a halt outside of noble dilettantes and the odd genius

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this is what all the people screaming about reopening missed. This is what they're willing to risk their lives for lol

capitalism is the most potent poison in history

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

There has to be a testing site or food bank in that strip mall... Right?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

yeah, we're not getting a second Civil War

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that's one way to make schools even more prison-like than they are now :stonklol:

Apr 7, 2003

Victory Position posted:

yeah, we're not getting a second Civil War

what, you're not looking forward to the First Pepe Cavalry Brigade cresting a ridge on their mobility scooters and grinding to a halt when the batteries run out?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Victory Position posted:

that's one way to make schools even more prison-like than they are now :stonklol:

No you see this is good, they can make the cough shields bullet proof and detachable so when a school shooter shows up every kid already has a riot shield ready to go

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

morning COVID thread! excited for my death pool guess (200069) to actually potentially gain some traction

love ya, eat a vegetable

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

morning COVID thread! excited for my death pool guess (200069) to actually potentially gain some traction

love ya, eat a vegetable

gonna go take a giant kale poo poo shortly.

coffee and kale should be prescribed for colonoscopy prep

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought they were opening up? Where all the jobs go

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

you either die from Roni or live long enough to see your arteries close up

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stonks go up with 40m unemployed lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I think at this point it isn't teacher pay but the absolutely rear end in a top hat admins/parents that are the real problems

there's less danger in fighting in a trench than there is arguing with parents from DuPage County

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

euphronius posted:

it’s bigger than quadruple the size of the schools but I’m bad at math

Do you know what "per capita" means when calculating statistics? If you're creating a graph to show change over time are you aware that April 27 comes after April 26? If you answered yes then you're actually wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of the math curve :v:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Victory Position posted:

there's less danger in fighting in a trench than there is arguing with parents from DuPage County

Truth

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

No loving way is that real. Who would line up like that for anything let alone a loving donut

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gio posted:

if anyone is wondering why the hell american class sizes are so large, its bc theres not enough teachers. and theres not enough teachers bc it pays so poorly. turns out not many people are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an education to start out earning 40k (if that) in an incredibly high-stress job.

The lack of teachers is because they don't have the budget to hire more teachers, not a lack of qualified applicants.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wamsutta posted:

My company sent out an email saying that almost everyone (50k people globally) will be working from home through the end of September at the earliest

I'm never putting on pants with a zipper or a shirt with a collar again and I'm glad of it

Yeah, we've been told to plan on being primarily work from home until there is a vaccine.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

gonna go take a giant kale poo poo shortly.

coffee and kale should be prescribed for colonoscopy prep

is it green? I never eat enough greens for green shits

one thing the pandemic has done for me is make me a regular shitter

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Helith posted:

The easiest fix to American education is to decouple school funding from property taxes.
As a non American that makes my head hurt.
Give money equally to all schools and then add supplements for each child in poverty, each child with special needs etc.

Yeah that's a great idea when half of people lost their jobs and have no income or payroll for those taxes and aren't spending for those taxes

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Victory Position posted:

Schools aren't going to do any of this. They're either going to ignore the CDC guidelines or they aren't reopening. A lot of schools are going to have problems with their teachers refusing to come back in the fall unless this just entirely vanishes over the summer.

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

is it green? I never eat enough greens for green shits

one thing the pandemic has done for me is make me a regular shitter

It’s the usual color, just tremendous volumes of it. Very proud

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's going to be funny when everyone working from home for months realizes how badly a regular morning commute actually fucks up their ability to get a good night's rest

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It's stupid as gently caress because it's a drive through and outside of total lockdowns those haven't closed and based on what we know today about the virus drive throughs are fine as long as the dining room is closed.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

you can't get rona from using a drive-thru dummies, being in a car makes you immune to diseases, physical harm and obligations to treat others as humans

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thoguh posted:

It's stupid as gently caress because it's a drive through and outside of total lockdowns those haven't closed and based on what we know today about the virus drive throughs are fine as long as the dining room is closed.

all those suckers waiting in line when i will just walk right into the dine-in and get my donut and leave :smug:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
man I love teaching, some of you guys act like it’s the worst job in the world lol.

block scheduling is a big issue though, it was a way to reduce the number of teachers necessary by having kids go to less classes per day and be able to have half the teachers basically but 30+ kid classes

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
turd immunity

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Back in the seventies the city of Pittsburgh built a new high school in the southern part of the city, Brashear High, to test what the best way to teach an integrated student body was.

the southern white population reacted by picking up and moving 1.5-2 miles to the south into entirely different school districts, lol.

Brashear High School (Pittsburgh Public Schools): 67% black
Keystone Oaks High School (Dormont), less than 2 miles away: 87% white
Mt. Lebanon High School (Mt. Lebanon), 2.5 miles away: 88% white

White people will move heaven and earth to keep their kids from going to school with black or hispanic kids.

My kid goes to one of, if not the, most racially integrated public schools in the country

Its also the one with the worst racial disparity in testing outcomes by race ; by a country mile . Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Also the school lunch this is weird as hell, because when Chicago teachers went on strike the schools stayed open so kids had a place to go if parents worked or if they needed food. Like 2% of kids came by to get food, veruss what 75% of them only getting food at school the rest of the year. There's a lot of myths about public sector stuff, be it pay (public defenders and teachers do great in many places, but few jobs available), the food situation, ie. School lunches maybe not being needed but maybe are, nonone knows, food deserts aren't a real thing, the studies to show they existed excluded a ton on purpose to get the result they wanted) list goes on and on

Then add in people pushing to reopen/not reopen due to all this. The strike showed the schools weren't needed at all for 95% of kids to be cared for/fed but that just sounds wrong at a gut level , so how the hell do you know if infection risk is worth it? And that's with a fully employed work force last year vs now everyone is not working and can homeschool more easily (for varied degree of ease)

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 15:44 on May 21, 2020

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
What does this translate to in non-bullshit unemployment numbers

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

As much as I want to believe this, I'm pretty sure the line is for a testing center that is adjacent to that krispy kreme.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Lolie posted:

Schools here resume full-time face to face teaching next week and students who don't attend will be marked absent.

I guess we're going to be the national guinea pig for finding out how easily school age children contract and spread covid-19.

The original plan was for students to return full-time time by the end of July. No explanation has really been given for the change in plans and it seems kind of stupid to have students resuming school before we know the impact of lifting other restrictions over the last couple of weeks.

where is here

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

There's gotta be a food bank or something in that strip mall. I refuse to believe that many people would wait that long in line for a Krispy Kreme donut, objectively the worst of all the donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

CODChimera posted:

No loving way is that real. Who would line up like that for anything let alone a loving donut

americans