Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having your hands above your heart while riding also significantly contributes to them falling asleep and/or getting cold. One of many reasons you only see choppers being ridden on the sunniest warmest weekend days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Are those Iron Cross decals/metal badges?

Is this a Nazi bike?

Martytoof posted:

How do you even ride a bike with your arms over your head?

My brain can't process.
have y’all never seen a chopper before?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

have y’all never seen a chopper before?

No I mean I’ve seen them, I just can’t imagine riding one with my hands that high :wow:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Conversely, show me your lowest clip-ons.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Steakandchips posted:

Are those Iron Cross decals/metal badges?

Is this a Nazi bike?
The iron cross is all over the place on vehicle bumpers in the US, I never really paid attention before but with the trend in emboldened nazis lately I'm more alert to those things, so I did a :thunk: and looked it up. It's been more widely recognized as a generic paint by numbers outlaw biker thing for a long while now. You can get them preapplied to your GMC bumper

Now if you see one with a swastika in the middle They Might be a Nazi

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The iron cross is all over the place on vehicle bumpers in the US, I never really paid attention before but with the trend in emboldened nazis lately I'm more alert to those things, so I did a :thunk: and looked it up. It's been more widely recognized as a generic paint by numbers outlaw biker thing for a long while now. You can get them preapplied to your GMC bumper

Now if you see one with a swastika in the middle They Might be a Nazi

Yeah it was a big heavy metal thing in the 70s, so of course it bleeds over into performative masculinity everywhere else. It's mostly just a shock value thing - it doesn't necessarily mean Nazi any more than horns mean someone is a satanist.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Mild ape hangers can actually be pretty comfortable, but anything that puts your hands higher than your shoulders = no thanks

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is that different from the Maltese Cross? I remember watching Monster Garage as a kid and Jesse James put that poo poo all over his bikes and cars, and it's not like the Discovery Channel blurred it out. So either Jesse James was/is a white supremacists or like the above poster said it was just some machismo/performative masculinity thing, now being co-opted by Nazis.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mister Speaker posted:

I did once see a cruiser with highway pegs almost that far forward, and clipons. Dude riding it was practically folded in half.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Is that different from the Maltese Cross? I remember watching Monster Garage as a kid and Jesse James put that poo poo all over his bikes and cars, and it's not like the Discovery Channel blurred it out. So either Jesse James was/is a white supremacists or like the above poster said it was just some machismo/performative masculinity thing, now being co-opted by Nazis.

the Maltese Cross (as seen on firefighting equipment, etc) is distinct from the Iron Cross (as seen on German military equipment), yes. Neither one is a Nazi symbol but the Iron Cross, being a german military decoration, is certainly at least Nazi-adjacent.

I would say it's contextual, like how viking runes mean something different when they're tattooed onto a hippie earth mama vs onto a norwegian guy with a shaved head and combat boots.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Mild ape hangers can actually be pretty comfortable, but anything that puts your hands higher than your shoulders = no thanks

This. I've owned two cruisers with apes and loved them. They're a lot more comfortable than clip ons with forward controls, especially if you're tall.

The Iron Cross was a thing outlaw clubs adopted and eventually it spread to mainstream cruiser culture after all the chopper craze and sons of anarchy hit in the 2000s. I'm sure its also used in white supremacist adjacent poo poo, but that wasn't it's original origin.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

the Maltese Cross (as seen on firefighting equipment, etc) is distinct from the Iron Cross (as seen on German military equipment), yes. Neither one is a Nazi symbol but the Iron Cross, being a german military decoration, is certainly at least Nazi-adjacent.

I would say it's contextual, like how viking runes mean something different when they're tattooed onto a hippie earth mama vs onto a norwegian guy with a shaved head and combat boots.

This chopper was spotted in Norway (I'm Norwegian). I also thought the iron cross stuff was off-putting, I was just more shocked at a chopper with front brake discs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i mean having TWO brakes on the layer dan lever is just asking to be flipped over the bars. you gotta have the front raked out like that to even have a chance of staying in control

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Found the weirdest Harley I've ever seen in a parking garage yesterday. Tiny fuel tank, weird old shifting system, speedometer by left knee, all the things you expect on an old modified Harley.... Except it had dual disc front brakes.

This is a loving rad chopper because it's a super old Harley turned into a real and genuine self- built custom. It's not a pile of s&s $$$$ chrome put together by a company in Texas for idiot boomers, thus it's Ok In My Book.

Shelvocke posted:

Didn't Slavvy work on a Nazi cruiser owned by a Japanese guy who had no idea?

I own the Nazi cruiser, still trying to sell it and now that the lockdown has lifted here it might actually find a loving fuhrer bunker to call home.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
As a piece of art, I love it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

This is a loving rad chopper because it's a super old Harley turned into a real and genuine self- built custom. It's not a pile of s&s $$$$ chrome put together by a company in Texas for idiot boomers, thus it's Ok In My Book.

Yeah, I was gonna say this as well. That thing is actually ridden. It's kind of extreme, but actually rideable and about as functional as a raked out hardtail can be. The builder pretty clearly knew how to make sure the front wheel had some stopping power and traction.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you scrape the pegs going straight.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
When you even with that monster fairing have a fetish for having your rear end sprayed with road goop.
Fenders ain't hard, it is possible to even make em stylish.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you brake hard and knock your teeth out

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That BMW was never meant to be ridden farther than the distance between the back of a truck and the display stand it's sitting on that weekend.

Someone did intend you ride these stupid things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdS0h681CLk

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The rear tire wants to consume your genitals.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I found a long lost cousin

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 21, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Supradog posted:

When you even with that monster fairing have a fetish for having you rear end spayed with road goop.
Fenders ain't hard, it is possible to even make em stylish.

I don't understand why builders hate fenders either

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

while we're on the subject of stupid customs, i have been looking for a specific video of a terrible hayabusa trike conversion. it has the rear swingarm extended like eight feet and the two rear wheels are giant 48" donk wheels on a very narrow-set axle so the whole vehicle kind of looks like a dick and balls. the rider is a morbidly obese man wearing a t-shirt and no helmet and his passenger is an equally obese woman. it looks like it's in florida somewhere and the video is shot from a hotel balcony or somewhere about that height.

please help me find it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Supradog posted:

I found a long lost cousin

Please tell me that’s on a BW

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

while we're on the subject of stupid customs, i have been looking for a specific video of a terrible hayabusa trike conversion. it has the rear swingarm extended like eight feet and the two rear wheels are giant 48" donk wheels on a very narrow-set axle so the whole vehicle kind of looks like a dick and balls. the rider is a morbidly obese man wearing a t-shirt and no helmet and his passenger is an equally obese woman. it looks like it's in florida somewhere and the video is shot from a hotel balcony or somewhere about that height.

please help me find it
This is not the one you asked for but when you search “busa trike,” a few look like this.

https://youtu.be/Ni0pONPYIv0

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 22, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i watched the video twice and i still dont really understand how it turns

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I can’t wait to see what YouTube algorithm thinks I’m into now that I have THAT monstrosity in my view history...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It must have some sort of open diff to be able to turn like it does. That turn seemed pretty drama free for what that bike has going on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is not the one you asked for but when you search “busa trike,” a few look like this.

https://youtu.be/Ni0pONPYIv0

nope, that is the exact video, i guess my brain just exaggerated everything (it's not as long as i remembered nor are the riders quite as fat, and it's shot from ground level) for some reason. weird. cheers.

barf

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Counter point- they make that thing look like a reasonably sized motorcycle, and the busa very small.

What did the poor busa ever do to deserve 99% of it's owners? :sigh:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

nor are the riders quite as fat

How bad were you imagining? The rider's tits are as big as the passenger's. I'd say they're both about the same size as Razzled's av, and that is not a small dude

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in my head they were both basically dripping off the bike, but they are still both pretty huge yeah. look at the size of those shoes

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think the most charitable thing I can say is "it's different," for what that's worth, but I can't imagine walking into my garage, seeing that, and not instantly being incredibly ashamed to own it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mewse posted:

I don't understand why builders hate fenders either

I did see one builder do a modern take on a bathtub triumph:

It doesn't quite land for me, but I appreciate the effort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I did see one builder do a modern take on a bathtub triumph:

It doesn't quite land for me, but I appreciate the effort.

Something about this reminds me of that circle Aprilia whose name I can never remember.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

builds character posted:

Something about this reminds me of that circle Aprilia whose name I can never remember.

Moto 6.5

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Counter point- they make that thing look like a reasonably sized motorcycle, and the busa very small.

What did the poor busa ever do to deserve 99% of it's owners? :sigh:

The busa had the doubly unfortunate situation of being “the bike with the highest number” for a long time, which attracts a certain type of rider who absolutely has to have the bike with the highest number.

It also inherited the gs1100 throne of “top drag bike” meaning there were tons and tons of drag racing go-fast parts out there both used and new. You could buy a busa and immediately kit it out with a ton of drag parts, leading to a glut of them with stretched swing arms and front-end slam kits. Nitrous of course being the next option for the slightly more serious icy hot stunta.

Nowadays the H2 and Panigale and bikes like that have the highest number crown but they’re nowhere near as affordable and are not making anywhere close to the dent in drag racing that the busa did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thunk: