Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

so uh, is that bad

"containment pond" is industry shorthand for "storing hazardous chemicals by digging a hole and dumping them in that hole". if they're real fancy they might put the chemicals in storage drums or line the pits with plastic sheeting

"commingling" in this context is shorthand for "the floods filled up those holes in the ground, so the water mixed with the chemicals stored there and overflowed back out of the holes, mixing all the chemicals stored there into one big toxic soup that'll be carried along with the floodwaters"

it's not ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Irradiation posted:

A research reactor is the absolute least of any problems of water getting onto the Dow site.

Amazing username/post/av text triple combo

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

"containment pond" is industry shorthand for "storing hazardous chemicals by digging a hole and dumping them in that hole". if they're real fancy they might put the chemicals in storage drums or line the pits with plastic sheeting

"commingling" in this context is shorthand for "the floods filled up those holes in the ground, so the water mixed with the chemicals stored there and overflowed back out of the holes, mixing all the chemicals stored there into one big toxic soup that'll be carried along with the floodwaters"

it's not ideal

another sign we are entering the "cool zone"

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
research reactors from the 50s ain't poo poo. I highly doubt they store their spent fuel on-site for something as piddly as a 300kw pool reactor.

all the other nasty poo poo and chemical waste? now you're talkin'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just start dumpin boron into the lake before it empties and it will neutralize the atoms down river

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

radioactive water a problem? just add lead!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Uhhhh, where are those floodwaters going?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

like covid-19 they will just disappear without need for trump to do anything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

downtown midland, MI

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

PostNouveau posted:

To a farm where they will be happy.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

twoday posted:

Amazing username/post/av text triple combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEg6wjcwZMQ

But to be serious a 300 kW reactor isn't going to be anywhere near the concerns of chemical containment breaches. They might have some old fuel sitting off to the side in their pool still but this isn't a power reactor with dedicated spent fuel pools that are going to require constant input of energy to prevent loss of coolant. Even at full power in a 1 MW TRIGA the water temperature of the containment pool stays below 80 F and when shutdown the power is less than 100 W. I'm not sure if they have an above or below ground reactor design, but if it's above ground the core is surrounded by a massive water-tight containment structure. If it's a below ground the biggest concern will probably be tritium releases which, since this a low power research reactor, shouldn't be a huge concern compared to anything else at Dow getting out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

downtown midland, MI

Followed by Saginaw and Lake Huron

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the reactor is just the cherry on top of the toxic waste sundae

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cool cool

https://twitter.com/davidhammerWWL/status/1263176449520959488

Can't raise the $20 million to fix the power turbine. I'm sure the next disaster flood won't cost $20 million, so as long as the city is saving money.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Cool cool

https://twitter.com/davidhammerWWL/status/1263176449520959488

Can't raise the $20 million to fix the power turbine. I'm sure the next disaster flood won't cost $20 million, so as long as the city is saving money.

they were offered a discount on a new one but spent twice as much to fail to repair a 96 year old one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

they were offered a discount on a new one but spent twice as much to fail to repair a 96 year old one

Also:

quote:

Meanwhile, the board approved a new $4.8 million maintenance labor contract with JEI Solutions, a company owned by the brother of the S&WB finance director.

New Orleans politics!

If you want to know why you ain't seen Mitch Landrieu in the national media in a while, it's this poo poo right here.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the floodwaters are returning to Number 6 Brine Pond. nature is healing

perhaps government regulations are the virus

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

New Orleans politics!

If you want to know why you ain't seen Mitch Landrieu in the national media in a while, it's this poo poo right here.

remember a few years ago when they had some heavy non-hurricane rain and whoops big parts of the city flooded because the drainage system wasn't actually operating at full capacity and some heads rolled over at the sewerage and water board

and then it came out that the people in charge gave themselves all raises and more sinecures were fired

lol forever at louisiana politics

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember a few years ago when they had some heavy non-hurricane rain and whoops big parts of the city flooded because the drainage system wasn't actually operating at full capacity and some heads rolled over at the sewerage and water board

and then it came out that the people in charge gave themselves all raises and more sinecures were fired

lol forever at louisiana politics

That's when they did a survey of the drainage tunnels for the first(?) time since Katrina and found literal entire cars in there, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

That's when they did a survey of the drainage tunnels for the first(?) time since Katrina and found literal entire cars in there, right?

Yes

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1164259192003334144

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ratspeaker posted:

that was last year, they found a couple of cars that had been washed into an underground culvert from the katrina flooding

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot believe how apathetic New Orleans authorities are about keeping their city above water. "Our drainage canals are blocked? Should we clean them out? Our pump is an antique disaster that requires its own precarious electrical supply to run? Should we replace it? Nah, that costs, like... money." :effort:

I get that budgets are tight, but holy poo poo, you're all going to drown. (Not like you need me to tell you that, though.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot believe how apathetic New Orleans authorities are about keeping their city above water. "Our drainage canals are blocked? Should we clean them out? Our pump is an antique disaster that requires its own precarious electrical supply to run? Should we replace it? Nah, that costs, like... money." :effort:

I get that budgets are tight, but holy poo poo, you're all going to drown. (Not like you need me to tell you that, though.)

The new administration has been a lot better than the Landrieu one, but it's critical to remember that a lot of what looks like apathy or incompetence is actually corruption.

LaToya Cantrell is a shitlib who kowtows way too much to the tourism industry, but she's not openly corrupt like the last ... dozen or so New Orleans mayors.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 21:45 on May 20, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
mostly it's surprising that mitch didn't leave office for prison, like so many of his predecessors and peers tend to do

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not ideal

seems p bad, thank you.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Lake Huron

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

like covid-19 they will just disappear without need for trump to do anything

Trump deleted his tweet from yesterday, but he said he was going to do nothing until the state stopped allowing people to vote by mail.

EDIT: Found them and he somehow managed to get worse than the original tweet :stonk:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Trump deleted his tweet from yesterday, but he said he was going to do nothing until the state stopped allowing people to vote by mail.

EDIT: Found them and he somehow managed to get worse than the original tweet :stonk:

tbf i dont think trump is deleting his tweets. im gunna guess its scavino or some other staffers who do it after he goes to sleep

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can only imagine the one or two people left in the West Wing with some human decency left who saw those tweets and just started screaming.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Was anything tweeted about Georgia straight canceling an election? I guess you can’t have voter fraud if nobody gets to vote...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Followed by Saginaw and Lake Huron

hypothetically, if someone gets their drinking water from the great lakes, should they be concerned

asking for a friend

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

hypothetically, if someone gets their drinking water from the great lakes, should they be concerned

asking for a friend

If it makes you feel any better, your tap water is now technically speaking an energy drink

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

and farther below lake ontario
takes in what dow chemical can send her

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Atrocious Joe posted:

asking for a friend

hope it’s Lake Superior lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can only imagine the one or two people left in the West Wing with some human decency left who saw those tweets and just started screaming.

Poor cleaners. Lost their jobs for uncontrollable screaming. :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1263409670976348160?s=19

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Would the Duluth beach be safe

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/TheDCSentinel/status/1263472558847950848/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Meh, the constant flooding rain should fix that issue.