Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

mandatory lesbian posted:

What I'm getting from all this is I need to call my mom and thank her for making vegetables a part of her dinner fixins so I didn't end up being an adult who gags at eating broccoli or whatever happened to the parents of those kids

You need to be careful with veggies too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBgwCmXhY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One thing I've learned about vegetables is that it helps if they're cooked even semi-decently. My exposure growing up was canned, frozen, or boiled, and there's only a limited selection of vegetables that are palatable under those conditions.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

AceClown posted:

We had something similar in the UK, celeb chef and general all round wanker Jamie Oliver, for all his faults, decided school dinners were shite and wanted kids to eat healthier at school. He took over a school canteen, banned all the pressed reclaimed chicken things and actually cooked some nice meals.

he tried to do that bit in the US and it went even worse. a bunch of the HAES reactionary stuff kicked off in response which of course instead of going "yeah because of multivariate individual variability there are some people who will have well above average BMI but still have good overall health, but nutrition is fundamental to public health" was "trying to get kids who weigh 200 lbs at 10 years old to eat something other than processed, fried chicken slurry and soda is abuse and actually theyre athletes" and trying to equivocate real issues like our objectifying, unrealistic portrayal of bodies in media into "the obesity epidemic isnt real" with climate change denial borrowed arguments

necroid
May 14, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

One thing I've learned about vegetables is that it helps if they're cooked even semi-decently. My exposure growing up was canned, frozen, or boiled, and there's only a limited selection of vegetables that are palatable under those conditions.

you know you can also eat them raw right? just add oil, salt, vinegar (balsamic if you have it) and black pepper if you like it

maybe you're already doing it with green salads but they aren't very nutritious and they waste a lot of resources to get to your table, which is why personally I prefer making salads out of tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, carrots and mixed legumes like pre-cooked and canned chickpeas, beans, lentils etc.

it's all very cheap and good for you

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

You folks sound like you had some fancy rear end lunches; I’m pretty sure my school must have been one of those that lost funding or something because we were eating stuff you’d find in a 50s Betty Crocker cookbook at best and a Korean War mess tent at worst

I’m not sure if it’s true or not but I think being Florida schools in the 2000s my school lunches were “sponsored” by fast food brands to get us eating their food. like they agree to provide cheap food for the benefit of me having fond memories of Pizza Hut, which totally worked.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I stole all my school lunches, and stolen food tastes even better than purchased food. :shrug:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

lol if you werent so broke your school lunches were free

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
9/10 days, my school lunches were my mom's half-assed sandwiches, and oddly sliced apples. Although now that I'm an adult and have a job I can totally understand it. The repercussion of my dad calling her "molecule mom" in reference to the peanut butter sandwiches linger until this day.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I’m not sure if it’s true or not but I think being Florida schools in the 2000s my school lunches were “sponsored” by fast food brands to get us eating their food. like they agree to provide cheap food for the benefit of me having fond memories of Pizza Hut, which totally worked.

I was in Florida in the 2000's and ours definitely weren't so that might just be your particular school board being idiots :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Iron Crowned posted:

The repercussion of my dad calling her "molecule mom" in reference to the peanut butter sandwiches linger until this day.

What's the connection between, "molecule," and peanut butter?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My high school staged a boycott of the school lunches for being awful, people even brought in food for the less well off kids, it was a beautiful act of solidarity.

Of course the high school admins started threatening students and threatening to fail people if they didn't stop the boycott.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Accretionist posted:

What's the connection between, "molecule," and peanut butter?

My mom would spread so little peanut butter on the bread that it was more bread than sandwich

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

After googling it looks like depression era shepherds pie. Processed meat, instant mash and plastic cheese melted on top.

yeah kind of: bologna or similar luncheon meat slice, instant mashed potato, government cheese, put in the oven long enough to maybe melt that cheese a bit

I believe they gave an option of some brown “gravy” on top

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my last two years of school or so I think they got more money since they started having more Sysco-ish stuff and started having a breakfast program which was really good for some kids

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

New Zealand doesn't do school lunches and the current government is planning to roll them out. I was previously a big fan of this idea but y'all are giving me second thoughts now.

My lunch story is that my parents made me make my own lunches from the age of 6 and because we lived rural and were kinda povvo my mum only shopped every two weeks. That meant I had to use these gross stale white bread rolls which would make me loving gag and I hated. My solution as a kid, instead of asking for help or telling mum the bread had gone bad, was just too stop eating at school altogether, so I'd just chuck my lunch in the bin every day. My parents didn't realise what I was doing until I was like 8, at which point they put it in the too-hard basket and just made sure I was feeding myself when I got home. This persisted until I was like 16 when I had a job and started buying myself food on the way to school, or at lunch time. I think even processed imitation vegetable product through a school lunch program would've been healthier than this.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 19:56 on May 21, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

New Zealand doesn't do school lunches and the current government is planning to roll them out. I was previously a big fan of this idea but y'all are giving me second thoughts now.

I mean it's still fundamentally a good idea, assuming they do a program for low-income kids. Here a lot of the poorest kids get two (and often their only two) meals a day for free, and while they suck they're usually at least basically nutritionally sufficient, or at least more than nothing would be.

Y'all probably have social programs that make that redundant, but I bet there's also value in giving working families more time to not be making lunches for their kids :shrug:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Blockade posted:

My high school staged a boycott of the school lunches for being awful, people even brought in food for the less well off kids, it was a beautiful act of solidarity.

Of course the high school admins started threatening students and threatening to fail people if they didn't stop the boycott.

School lunches: the new protection racket.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

bike tory posted:

Is the idea here that kids having no lunches instead of bad lunches is better? I don't get it. Also, is there any reason to assume the NZ government would botch this US-style?

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I pretty much always didn’t eat lunch on flying saucer day because that’s like the least appetizing thing in the world as a kid

no seriously wtf are flying saucers

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Well the government recently posted some videos that suggest they look like tic tacs and can change direction on a dime.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hardon Crime posted:

unidentified food objects

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I mean it's still fundamentally a good idea, assuming they do a program for low-income kids. Here a lot of the poorest kids get two (and often their only two) meals a day for free, and while they suck they're usually at least basically nutritionally sufficient, or at least more than nothing would be.

Y'all probably have social programs that make that redundant, but I bet there's also value in giving working families more time to not be making lunches for their kids :shrug:

Lambert posted:

Is the idea here that kids having no lunches instead of bad lunches is better? I don't get it. Also, is there any reason to assume the NZ government would botch this US-style?

Basically it's what Shame Boy said. NZ schools are given funding based on the SES of the school community (the schools get a decile rating of 10 being richest to 1A being poorest) and the program is being rolled out from the bottom up to target the kids most likely to need food/parents most likely to need income relief from buying food. But having taught in a bunch of schools here, most kids even from decile 2 and 3 schools have decent lunches currently so replacing a lot of these with the kind of slop that people have been posting ITT would be a hard negative for the country as a whole. It's only decile 1 or 1A schools where I've seen a large proportion of kids with no lunch at all.

There's no reason to believe the current govt would roll out a gross food program but it will be expensive and unpopular to cut so there's every reason to believe it's the sort of program that future right wing govts would hollow out by tanking the food quality, cutting costs by reducing the number of kids eating the food and also making it unpopular and easier to axe.

Hardon Crime posted:

This was answered a few pages back, basically it's processed meat slice (like luncheon sausage or spam or whatever) with mashed potato on it, and then a slice of processed cheese melted over top. Sounds like it could taste ok if you fried off the meat and used real mashed potato and even semi-decent cheese. Sounds like school lunches did none of that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doesn't the US lunch program only exist because the military got tired of malnourished recruits?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

And Pellagra prevention! AMERICA!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

Doesn't the US lunch program only exist because the military got tired of malnourished recruits?

It wouldn't surprise me if this is still the main reason it exists

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Len posted:

I thought it was because they had such an over production of meat, dairy and veg that they diverted it to social welfare instead of letting it rot?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That doesn't sound like america

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

yes, something nuts like 1 in 3 recruits for ww1 were rejected because of problems related to lovely childhood nutrition

it also helps stabilize food prices for farmers which got expanded right after ww2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hardon Crime posted:

https://www.food.com/recipe/flying-saucers-55453#activity-feed

quote:

1 slice bologna
1 slice cheese
1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes

DIRECTIONS
Fry bologna until lightly browned.
Prepare creamed potatoes.
Real or boxed kind or use leftover.
Place bologna on plate and top with potatoes.
Then top with cheese.
Microwave it for about 15-30 seconds.
Or until cheese has melted.

Just think how cheap and lovely you can make the mashed potatos and slice of cheese.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

:nws: :nws:
I thought my school lunches were bad :stonk: That is some divorced dad poo poo right there.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I thought my school lunches were bad :stonk: That is some divorced dad poo poo right there.

ours were even less appetizing

straight up ice cream scoop of powdered mash on baked bologna-ish slice and orange or white government cheese chunk

Arcteryx Anarchist has issued a correction as of 00:23 on May 22, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that was also the official names those cheeses went by; we had them a lot and it was the lunch ladies asking which you wanted and giving you one of the chunks they had sliced off the blocks that day

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Can I get it in a can though?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

bike tory posted:

My parents didn't realise what I was doing until I was like 8, at which point they put it in the too-hard basket and just made sure I was feeding myself when I got home. This persisted until I was like 16 when I had a job and started buying myself food on the way to school, or at lunch time. I think even processed imitation vegetable product through a school lunch program would've been healthier than this.

This is the interesting thing about kids throwing out food or parents sneaking them less healthy food than what schools might be offering. My niece is 3 years old and is already gaming her parents. She has something for dinner like roast beef, peas and carrots (not microwave style, bought fresh and cooked in an oven with home made gravy etc) and she will pick and poke at it for a while saying 'I'm not hungry I don't want ANYTHING' until they let her leave the table. Once dessert comes out we say 'you can't have any of this until you've had your dinner'. She will eat invidivual peas for a while until it all goes cold, then hang around the table talking to people about how she loves cake. 30 minutes later all the dinner has been thrown out and she's hungry, but there is dessert left. She eventually gets what she wanted, and like others have said it's better than giving her nothing, and sometimes she's happy to eat her whole dinner with no issues.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 04:26 on May 22, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

This is the interesting thing about kids throwing out food or parents sneaking them less healthy food than what schools might be offering. My niece is 3 years old and is already gaming her parents. She has something for dinner like roast beef, peas and carrots (not microwave style, bought fresh fresh and cooked in an oven with home made gravy etc) and she will pick and poke at it for a while saying 'I'm not hungry I don't want ANYTHING' until they let her leave the table. Once dessert comes out we say 'you can't have any of this until you've had your dinner'. She will eat invidivual peas for a while until it all goes cold, then hang around the table talking to people about how she loves cake. 30 minutes later all the dinner has been thrown out and she's hungry, but there is dessert left. She eventually gets what she wanted, and like others have said it's better than giving her nothing, and sometimes she's happy to eat her whole dinner with no issues.

I don't think cake is better than giving her nothing in that situation buddy

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1263552642300538880

:berninator:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

That guy should run for president or something

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think cake is better than giving her nothing in that situation buddy

Seriously.

She's learned that nobody is serious about her actually eating healthy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

This is the interesting thing about kids throwing out food or parents sneaking them less healthy food than what schools might be offering. My niece is 3 years old and is already gaming her parents. She has something for dinner like roast beef, peas and carrots (not microwave style, bought fresh fresh and cooked in an oven with home made gravy etc) and she will pick and poke at it for a while saying 'I'm not hungry I don't want ANYTHING' until they let her leave the table. Once dessert comes out we say 'you can't have any of this until you've had your dinner'. She will eat invidivual peas for a while until it all goes cold, then hang around the table talking to people about how she loves cake. 30 minutes later all the dinner has been thrown out and she's hungry, but there is dessert left. She eventually gets what she wanted, and like others have said it's better than giving her nothing, and sometimes she's happy to eat her whole dinner with no issues.

Oh yeah, all the people being judgemental about kids not eating A Vegetable were dicks who obviously don't have kids. You cannot force kids to eat, they will literally starve themselves instead of eating something they dont want. Obviously the answer to this isn't to let them eat whatever the gently caress they want, but it's not simply a matter of bad parenting when a 10 year old won't eat vegetables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Salean posted:

That guy should run for president or something

:stonklol: about that....